• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 23 announced for PS5, PS4, Xbox and Switch; Chisholm Jr. is the cover athlete

nial

Gold Member
Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer San Diego Studio have officially announced MLB The Show 23 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch. Jazz Chisholm Jr. of the Miami Marlins is the cover athlete. It will launch on March 28. It will also be available via Xbox Game Pass on day one. Pre-orders will open on February 6.

Get the first details below:

Pricing:
The standard edition on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch is $59.99 USD / $69.99 CAD. The standard edition on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series is $69.99 USD / $79.99 CAD

Cross-Platform Play, Cross Saves and Cross Progression Continue:
Have access to all your progress and card inventory in MLB The Show 23 on every platform you own. Once again Cross-Platform Play, Cross Saves, and Cross Progression return allowing you to share your progress on PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch*. Cross progression allows you to earn and use any earned content on any platform or generation (this excludes PS5 and Xbox Series X|S-exclusive features like Stadium Creator). With cross saves you can transfer a save file for Road to the Show or Franchise mode to a different console.**

MLB The Show Account, Account Linking & The Scouting Report:
In MLB The Show 23 you can easily move from platform to platform and keep access to your entire inventory of cards, and the MLB The Show Account allows you to do so. Just create your MLB The Show Account on TheShow.com and link your PlayStation, Xbox, and / or Switch and you are all set.
While you are creating your new linked account, make sure you sign-up for The Scouting Report, so we can send you all the latest MLB The Show 23 information and subscribers also get an exclusive pack each month starting in April. So, head over to www.theshow.com to get your account set up.

MLB The Show 23 Feature Premieres Schedule:
Feature Premieres return to give you a look into new features in MLB The Show 23. You can watch episodes live on Twitch and YouTube. If you can’t watch them live, catch up on every episode on-demand at your own convenience as we get closer to launch. We have several Feature Premiere episodes in the works, so be on the lookout on TheShow.com and our social channels for episode schedule and information.
Pre-orders open on February 6.

Collector’s Edition Reveal February 2:
We’re sure some of you are wondering, where’s the Collector’s Edition? Stay tuned as later this week we’ll reveal the Collector’s Edition(s) for MLB The Show 23 and all its content.

Please note: All Collector’s Edition(s) of MLB The Show 23 revealed on February 2 include dual entitlement***. If you instead plan on purchasing the Standard Edition of MLB The Show 23 on PlayStation 4 and have plans of upgrading to the PlayStation 5 version, you will need to purchase the digital edition to take advantage of the $10 USD upgrade offer.

Watch the cover athlete reveal trailer below:

Last edited:
They could have chosen Trout, Betts, Alonzo, Degrom, Verlander, Kershaw but chose some dude with 1 all star appearance that only played 60 games last year.

Kilau

Just finished up all the achievements for '22 so this is great news it's coming to game pass again.

Lasha

Chisholm Jr. has put up around 5 bwar while barely playing a full seasons worth of games so the kids qualifies as a hot young stud. He's also young and black which is a market that MLB has been trying to recapture.

I think Chisholm Jr.'s move to outfield makes his selection slightly more baffling. A case can be made for him being among the best as an infielder. He becomes significantly less unique in a league stacked with hot outfielders. Julio Rodriguez would have been my choice for sexy Caribbean star on an irrelevant team with the herculean effort he put up last season.

The curse of having to launch an annual version of the same franchise strikes again. Part of me wishes that San Diego branches out to tackle another sport, thanks to the additional revenues they must have been making. No easy task, I suppose! 🤷‍♂️

Lasha

The curse of having to launch an annual version of the same franchise strikes again. Part of me wishes that San Diego branches out to tackle another sport, thanks to the additional revenues they must have been making. No easy task, I suppose! 🤷‍♂️

I would also like to see their take on another sport. Which though? EA has the exclusive license for NFL. A basketball game would mean running up against a 2k which already bled EA dry. NHL and soccer are all that are left with hockey being too niche and soccer too competitive of a market.

My dream would be for the studio to take a turn for the weird and make a AAA Aussie rules game. The sport has enough action to translate into a fun game and the rights will probably be much cheaper to aquire. AFL would probably give them away in exchange for the level of exposure an MLB the Show tier game would bring to the sport.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not sure how he got the cover honestly, will probably be an overall 80 card at best to start

Could name A LOT of players who would have been a better choice.

Having ties with a few teams including the Stl Cardinals I was hoping for Paul GoldSchmidt since he kind of flies under the radar even having won NL MVP.

Unknown?

I would also like to see their take on another sport. Which though? EA has the exclusive license for NFL. A basketball game would mean running up against a 2k which already bled EA dry. NHL and soccer are all that are left with hockey being too niche and soccer too competitive of a market.

My dream would be for the studio to take a turn for the weird and make a AAA Aussie rules game. The sport has enough action to translate into a fun game and the rights will probably be much cheaper to aquire. AFL would probably give them away in exchange for the level of exposure an MLB the Show tier game would bring to the sport.
Hopefully the contract is void soon and they could go back to NFL Gameday.

Nydius

I bought MLB 22 last year so I see no real pressing reason to buy this. If I really want to play it, I'll download it on Game Pass. But I doubt I'll bother even doing that as I can't imagine the changes between 22 and 23 will be of any significance.

I really wish these sports games would stop being annual franchises. These annual releases, whether they're EA's sports games or MLB The Show, limits innovation. It's hard for developers to make real gameplay improvements when they're immediately under deadline for next year's iteration the day after the current year's version releases. As a result, I usually only buy one or two sports games per console generation. One towards the beginning, one towards the end.

Ribi

Still no PC is just mind boggling. Even Madden came over. What are they doing?

Also the show hasn't seen real improvement in years. It feels like any other sports game where they just reuse everything and highlight some gimmick to make it seem new and innovative. I remember when it first came out it was actually pushing some limits now it's just meh.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

More cross gen and no PC... stunning...
It's a bit weird that the contract that forced Sony to make Xbox and switch versions didn't include PC. Being a licensed game it's not up to Sony to decide, Sony would have more issues making an Xbox version than a pc version (that they... kinda... support nowadays).

GreatnessRD

FUCK YOU, SONY! BRING IT TO PC, WHORES!

batista-give-me-what-i-want.gif

anthony2690

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised they've managed to keep the game pass deal for this game, three years in a row.

Doesn't really mean much to me, as I don't watch/play sports games.

& I don't think it is popular in the UK, as it never stays in the top 50, as baseball isn't watched or played here.

I assume this is popular in USA and maybe Japan?

Does the game sit in the top 50 over the pond?

Lasha

I'm genuinely surprised they've managed to keep the game pass deal for this game, three years in a row.

Doesn't really mean much to me, as I don't watch/play sports games.

& I don't think it is popular in the UK, as it never stays in the top 50, as baseball isn't watched or played here.

I assume this is popular in USA and maybe Japan?

Does the game sit in the top 50 over the pond?

It sells between 2 and 4 million units. Moving to gamepass increased sales by an unspecified amount. Its a pretty popular franchise that many people play despite it being a baseball game.

It's a bit weird that the contract that forced Sony to make Xbox and switch versions didn't include PC. Being a licensed game it's not up to Sony to decide, Sony would have more issues making an Xbox version than a pc version (that they... kinda... support nowadays).

The only thing I can think of is that MLB hasn't realized the financial incentive for this to be on PC or that the contract language was specific to other "consoles"

That being said I just can't understand this from a business perspective unless there is an issue coming to terms with expanding existing contract language and profit sharing for the PC version.

There is also probably a concern that a PC version could further erode PlayStation sales, where they're forced to do Switch and Xbox, and obviously haven't been forced to do PC yet, but they see it as a further encroachment.

Could also be that the development team couldn't get a PC build together in time or that the PC build had issues. Or maybe they're concerned with further pricing issues on top of GamePass

At the end of the day it doesn't make much sense...

At this point the game should release on Android and iOS as well...They've had at least a year and you know they haven't made any significant improvements to the code YoY

I wonder if Sony has gotten over directly publishing for other platforms now.

Will Cokem International publish 23 on Xbox and Switch again? You look at Death Stranding and Sony didn't want to publish it on PC so 505 games did it.

At some point they've got to stop hurting their own business. Either that or they don't have a license with Nintendo and Microsoft and don't want to get one... but whatever.

Fox Mulder

Sony getting even lazier than ea and 2k with their yearly sports updates. The show has been pretty much the same game the past couple of years.

Expected when it expanded to other platforms, plus it could be way worse than it is with zero real competition. It’s way better than Madden.

I already bought this game every year but switched to getting it on Gamepass for nothing.

Last edited:

WoJ

It's arguably the best representation of the sport on the field of any sports video game. But there hasn't been much in terms of updates in years. I hope when they drop last gen systems their franchise mode will get a revamp. I've picked up this game annually since MLB the Show 16, but will probably skip this year.

Chisholm Jr. has put up around 5 bwar while barely playing a full seasons worth of games so the kids qualifies as a hot young stud. He's also young and black which is a market that MLB has been trying to recapture.

I think Chisholm Jr.'s move to outfield makes his selection slightly more baffling. A case can be made for him being among the best as an infielder. He becomes significantly less unique in a league stacked with hot outfielders. Julio Rodriguez would have been my choice for sexy Caribbean star on an irrelevant team with the herculean effort he put up last season.
Yeah boo hoo to everyone who has to see an Israelite Man on a cover of a video game. That sure does make a racist man stem hate fuel

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah boo hoo to everyone who has to see an Israelite Man on a cover of a video game. That sure does make a racist man stem hate fuel
No one here loves the MLB as much as I do but my opinion is more based on his projection of possibly being a 20/20 guy batting .250 and barely being in the top 50 players in Baseball for 2023

Whoever is complaining about his race is a pretty sad individual

The problem MLB faces when trying to capture the interest of the best athletes the US has to offer starts at a very young age

I have been in sports my entire life and have worked with kids as a personal trainer in pitching since retiring and I have seen it countless times that in many states Baseball and Soccer in High Schools are treated as the sports you play when you are not gifted enough to play Football or Basketball because those two sports bring in the dollars

I played three sports in High School and as a Sophomore I was taken into the ADs office and he said he wanted me to drop Baseball and concentrate on bringing the school a State Title in Football and Basketball

I knew I had zero future in Football because simply I didn't like getting hit being the QB so I focused on Basketball and Baseball

Sony has what can be argued as the best sports game around and they continue to blow it by holding it back with fucking switch and ps4.

These are the god damn games where you can push graphics to their limit. Give me ray tracing and an updated engine! I want this game to look real!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here's your look at some MLB The Show 23 gameplay in this new MLB The Show 23 trailer for the upcoming game.

MLB The Show 23 will be available on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch on March 28, 2023.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you are a game pass subscriber, you can have early access to the game starting from the 24th with the below bundle:

GAME NOT INCLUDED.

For Xbox Game Pass subscribers interested in playing MLB The Show 23 during Early Access, this is for you. Purchasers of the MLB® The Show™ 23 Xbox Game Pass Early Access Bundle will get access to MLB The Show 23 on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S on March 24th 2023 – four days early – as well as the following additional items: Four Days Early Access for Xbox Game Pass Users. 2 Gold Choice Pack. 10 Show Packs. 1 Ballplayer Pack. Double Daily login rewards. 10k Stubs™.

Last edited:

Beechos

I'm really hoping there's some change in this year's version. I feel like for the past couple of years, san diego studios has been even worse than ea and 2k with changes to their yearly sports releases.

apowhungo

I only really play coop with friends online and I heard they haven't fixed shit with server lag and drops, same really fucking annoying issues from '22 they never even tried to patch. Cool.
Fix U Get It Together GIF by UFC

I know the PS4 version could carry saves over but does that work on Xbox? Last year was my first year of The Show and don't really wanna start over.

Top Bottom