• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana Has the Best Collection of Music and Songs for a Disney Movie in a long time.

Some not Bowie/Clement fans in here haha.

My son was obsessed with this movie for a long time and my daughter still is. Has some catchy tunes for sure but most importantly it's a great movie.

Not

Banned
"We Know The Way" made a particularly strong impression on me, but I loved pretty much all the songs.

WE READ THE WIND AND THE SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

WHEN THE SUN IS HIGH

Never stops giving me chills. Miranda actually sounds good here too

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
"We Know The Way" made a particularly strong impression on me, but I loved pretty much all the songs.

Yeah I loved how it as a song and especially with its use during the flashback scene to the ancestors. Tines about passing down their stories from generation to generation in an endless cycle really struck a cord with me. Then again it strikes close to home in general like the rest of the movie.

You're the worst song I've ever heard.

It's definitely the best song in the movie, but I dunno, it feels unfocused to me. The constant tempo changes don't work in its favor. You gotta a cool laid-back, intro, then a more uptempo section that seems like it'll dominate most of the rest of the song, but then you got another slow section that lasts way too long and kills the pacing, and then it's saved by an amazing finale.
Basically, if you take out the slow section, it's an escalation from laid back to intense all the way through. And since I don't mind the laid back part that much, that's pretty much what it is to me, so I really like it. It does go on a tad(pole) too long though.

GKnight

Banned
The main theme is better than frozens.
Its also a better movie, but i thought frozen was meh.
Moana was probably the best disney movie ive seen sincr toy story 3 and thats pixar

I remember seeing it in theaters and thinking damn someone has clearly been listening to Hamilton and then I saw the credits.

Good not great soundtrack, they at least made an attempt by replicating past success with the same formula

I was obsessed with How Far I'll Go for like 3 solid months.

The score during the song gives me chills.

source.gif

Omadahl

Banned
The soundtrack is legitimately great. Great lyrics, great melodies and great performances. We listen to it on repeat with my five year old and I don't even mind.

Mistle

agreed, Lin nailed the music. probably my fav disney musical since the 90s, both the actual movie and the soundtrack. return to form, after the messy (but not terrible) Frozen

we know the way, where you are, i am moana, shiny, youre welcome... lol was going to list my favs but i think that's nearly all of them?

i think where you are is my favourite though. love the drive of it, constantly pushing forward.

Never knew Shiny was so divisive. It's my 3 year old's least favorite but I think it's just because it's not Moana singing it.

As a father of a Disney obsessed kid, Moana is a breath of fresh air.

None of the recent Disney musical can stand up to the murderer's row from the 90s.

And the GOAT children's musical is still Wizard of Oz.

You're Welcome is amazing because it sounds like The Rock isn't actually singing, just talking and getting by on charisma. And he actually does succeed at getting through a song with just charisma, which is amazing.

Yeah, he's literally sing-talking but he's still able to sell it lol

TylerD

This movies' songs combined with the incredible visuals really bring out the emotion with me. "We Know the Way" hits hard.

It's such a visually stunning movie.

maxcriden

It's OK, but the songs.... My god, the songs.

One of my favorites is "One of Us".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwulXTGhKU

"He lives in you", which is also in the Broadway musical. is by far the best song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmoIHn8Mm8g

"Shadowland", which theme is only played in Lion King 2, but is sung in the Broadway musical is Great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJqaxkBRro

Thanks man, I will have to check out the movie! In for it even if only the OST is great.

Mossybrew

Agree completely OP. Disney finally topped Lion King IMO. Moana threads here seem to draw a lot of haters, but forget 'em.

Nydius

Agree completely OP. Disney finally topped Lion King IMO. Moana threads here seem to draw a lot of haters, but forget 'em.

Then I guess I'm a "hater" because despite enjoying the movie and having watched it more times than I can remember, I find that most of the songs to be utterly forgettable. Raxus listed the 5 good songs back on page one (quoted below). Everything else on the soundtrack is absolute "meh".

For all the way people gushed over the soundtrack before the movie came out, especially given the critical success of Hamilton, I expected better.

I am Moana
We Know the Way
You're Welcome
Shiny
I Know Who You Are

Be realistic, how many people do you think even know all five of those, let alone more? I'd say most probably only remember three. Granted, that's better than the one trick pony that was Frozen. But as an old fart, I have to say Moana's soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to Aladdin. Not even close.

How far I'll go, Where you are, You're Welcome, We Know the Way and Shiny are great

I am moana is the best though

Then I guess I'm a "hater" because despite enjoying the movie and having watched it more times than I can remember, I find that most of the songs to be utterly forgettable. Raxus listed the 5 good songs back on page one (quoted below). Everything else on the soundtrack is absolute "meh".

I'd say How far I'll go and Where You Are are good too but there arent many more full songs outside of those 7. Everything else is mostly reprisals and instrumental stuff. So if you like those 5 you basically like the soundtrack lol

Thanks man, I will have to check out the movie! In for it even if only the OST is great.

Worth at least watching one time, now that you have me thinking about it, I'm pretty certain the awesome song Shadowlands will probably be included in the live action Lion King remake, because otherwise why go hard in recruiting Beyonce for the role of Nala if she has no featured songs in it. Shadowlands fixes that as it's Nala's song in the Broadway Musical.

No different than them writing the great song "Listen" for the Dreamgirls movie adaptation which was never in the musical, in order for Beyonce to have her own moment, and now the song is used in future stagings of the musical only contextualized as a duet between the Effie and Deena characters.

I got the bluray and rewatched it, and it's still a STUNNING movie. Seriously, the art direction is literally perfect. Breathtakingly beautiful and then you add the characters and the music on top of that. All the songs are great but Moana's songs are a step above.

That penultimate, slow-motion shot of
Te Ka towering over Moana on the ocean floor
... tears everytime. I think it's equal to the charge of the Rohirrim in terms of cinematic perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaiHbVjg84
(spoilers obviously)

Which reminds me, I really need to check out Lin's work. Also, the bluray specifically points out that there were three composers: him, Mark Mancina and Opetaia Foa'i. Credit where credit is due.

Wood Man

As a father of a 7 yr old girl Moana was a pleasant change after the chaos that was Frozen. I liked all the songs in Moana.

Top Bottom