• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

Oscar

Bunch of pages here.

Basically what is the downside to this?

I recalled reading somewhere that the xbone sticks on ps4 slide around a bit and need calibration often. Is that correct?

No downside here.

I have two DS4's still going strong with this mod.

Sora_N

Bunch of pages here.

Basically what is the downside to this?

I recalled reading somewhere that the xbone sticks on ps4 slide around a bit and need calibration often. Is that correct?

No issues using the sticks yet. Only downside was having to take it apart.

I should've picked more carefully where I got my 3d party xbone thumbsticks. these look pretty fake, don't they? that point in the middle of the top of it, isn't really even there.

xbone.jpg

xbone2.jpg

Iorv3th

After using it for a while with the xbone sticks I started to get one stick that wouldn't register input in a certain direction off and on but pretty frequently. I had to buy a new controller. Don't know if it was because of the sticks or not but now i'm using regular sticks.

Lulu23

I have wanted to do this forever, but I can't find any genuine XBone sticks in Germany / that ship to Germany. Does anyone know where to find them?

I have wanted to do this forever, but I can't find any genuine XBone sticks in Germany / that ship to Germany. Does anyone know where to find them?
I would like to know this as well.
Been giving my PS4 more use lately and am just constantly slipping on the sticks.

Anastasis

My launch DS4 is having an issue where the left stick is registering all sorts of weird inputs when going left and/or right (i.e. when pushing the stick to the right, it starts out going right and then goes down and right). Could this only be a stick issue or something more serious where I'd need to replace the whole controller? Thanks!

But how do I know if they're genuine? I don't want any third party crap someone made in their basement, even if it means paying a couple Euros more.

You can't just buy off of anybody. I shopped around on Ebay and went with the buyers that seemed more reliable and with a solid reputation. That's the safest bet.

goonergaz

I bought a couple that were pre-moded but don't get along with them - I find them far too sensitive and find games very twitchy - probably due to being so used to playing with PlayStation controllers I guess!?

I bought a couple that were pre-moded but don't get along with them - I find them far too sensitive and find games very twitchy - probably due to being so used to playing with PlayStation controllers I guess!?

Yeah after watching the vids on how easy it was to install I gave it a go.. Figured why pay for it pre-done when it literally takes minutes to swap. Heck I bought a few controllers that were returned because of the stick issue for cheap and just added new sticks. Definitely worth a go instead of buying ones that were pre-done for you.

Ryde3

I did this when my rubber started peeling on my Dualshocks, but after awhile the Stick become unresponsive. My friend who I did the mod with at the same time still uses his so maybe I just messed up.

Lulu23

Okay so I'm ready to order some caps, I just need to know which exact screwdriver to get. Is a "small" Philips screwdriver an actual size or is there a number I have to look for?

Edit: I ask because I found contradicting results on Google. They ranged from Philips #0 to #000. So which is it? (I have no idea about screwdrivers.)

I should've picked more carefully where I got my 3d party xbone thumbsticks. these look pretty fake, don't they? that point in the middle of the top of it, isn't really even there.

xbone.jpg

xbone2.jpg

What controller is that? Looks awesome!

I had the PS1 see through controller as my main controller right through that generation, I need that controller!

Business

What controller is that? Looks awesome!

I had the PS1 see through controller as my main controller right through that generation, I need that controller!

I'm not aware of any official transparent DS4 so that must be a transparent custom shell, you can find them on ebay, amazon or elsewhere

The other "Dualshock4 is garbage" thread inspired me to finally go ahead with the XB1 stick mod as I had a spare XB1 controller, lol:

HKRP3tN.jpg

Once I figured everything out, wasn't too bad.

Still deciding if I want to keep them in or not as having higher sticks does screw with the intended ergonomics of the controller. It's why I couldn't handle KontrolFreeks (even CQCs)
I can say for sure tho that official OEM XB1 sticks REALLY do perfectly fit on the DS4's analog shafts (O___o)

TyrantII

Anyone replace their triggers yet? Are there better replacements out there?

My right trigger is shot on one of my controllers, and seems to be going on the second.

Cleve

This doesn't fix my left stick drifting down constantly does it? I assume it's a calibration/alignment issue, has anyone had any luck with this?

My left analog stick is messed up. It won't register left and right correctly. Im assuming that's more of a elrctrical(motherboard?) issue and won't fix it if I switch out the analog stick?

ValeYard

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but there have been a few posts here that the left stick became unresponsive after the mod. Has this happened to any one else since the last posts were made?

I was thinking of modding in some aluminium x1 sticks, but might hesitate if the stick is likely to stop working.

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but there have been a few posts here that the left stick became unresponsive after the mod. Has this happened to any one else since the last posts were made?

I was thinking of modding in some aluminium x1 sticks, but might hesitate if the stick is likely to stop working.

I've modded both of my DS4s with X1 sticks, one of which I modded shortly after launch, and I've never had any problems with the left stick on either controller.

moai

My left stick died on my launch controller. I google it and found many forums talking about it. It may not be related at all with the stick mod ( mine wasn't modded)

My left stick died on my launch controller. I google it and found many forums talking about it. It may not be related at all with the stick mod ( mine wasn't modded)

I found this out too, I thought it was the stick replacement and even replaced them with some new ones. No cigar. Apparently it's common problem. Pressing forward just stops the character on screen, some games are worse than others too. Really annoying. I just use it for d-pad, racing and slower games like FFX Remaster now.

BTW if anybody are experiencing there touchpad not working after a stick mod (the touch function doesn't respond, but pressing the button down does), check this out. Don't worry it most likely is this fault and can be fixed like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYi-iPrlG08

To anyone who's done this have they ended up with a really messed up share button? My share buttons really loose I don't know how to fix it, and I can't find an answer anywhere on the internet.

i had a problem with my left stick where it would register sporadic movement when it was pressed in the up position. like the other poster said, I don't think it's a mod issue because all that changes is the stick. taking off the XB1 stick will produce the same problem even when the bare post is used.

I think it really comes down to Sony cheaping out the materials, construction and testing of the DS4.

To anyone who's done this have they ended up with a really messed up share button? My share buttons really loose I don't know how to fix it, and I can't find an answer anywhere on the internet.

Are the screws tight enough? You should open it up again to see if the share button is in place.

Are the screws tight enough? You should open it up again to see if the share button is in place.

I figured it out. There's a gray membrane that is supposed to be between the controller and the share button. There's one for the options button on the opposite side of the controller. And it's missing for me. Guess it must have slipped out when I popped open the controller. Very frustrating but avoidable. None of the videos I watched mention it though.

Elitist1945

Unrelated to the mods, but on one of my controllers I feel like my analogue sticks are messed up. When playing a game the movement is really jittery and feels almost like constant lag. Any ideas?

I figured it out. There's a gray membrane that is supposed to be between the controller and the share button. There's one for the options button on the opposite side of the controller. And it's missing for me. Guess it must have slipped out when I popped open the controller. Very frustrating but avoidable. None of the videos I watched mention it though.
Is there any chance of finding it? At least you figured out what it was.

Can you buy longer lasting batteries off ebay or something for the DS4? That's what I did for my DS3 iirc.

If so I might do that s well as replacing the sticks.

Can you buy longer lasting batteries off ebay or something for the DS4? That's what I did for my DS3 iirc.

If so I might do that s well as replacing the sticks.

http://www.atomsindustries.com/ASD1258

Only buy this battery, King Gilga. A ton of them on Ebay are counterfeits that are a waste of money. There's a tutorial on how to install it from a guy on Reddit. You have to swap the battery's connectors to avoid destroy your controller.

http://m.imgur.com/a/97f3s

Really easy stuff, took me 5 mins to do. I've been using my modified controller for about 6 months so far. No issues and holds a 12 hour charge.

Cool thanks. I'll do that at some point, and the sticks at the same time. Downloaded that album for when the time comes, but it looks simple enough.

TyrantII

Anyone replace their triggers yet? Are there better replacements out there?

My right trigger is shot on one of my controllers, and seems to be going on the second.

Took a guess that my trigger was squishy because the pin broke, and sure enough it did.

Easy $1.00 fix, but I doubt the replacement triggers I bought off Amazon are any better wear and tear wise. The spring just rests on the underside of the plastic trigger, wraps around the inside pin, and then fits into a groove on the inside side of the button recess in the controller that the trigger clips into. Also did the battery mod while in there.

Controller is at 10 hours of off and on use, and only at 2 bars!

Brand new, never even turned on. I just love these damn sticks! So much grip!
N2o0AFE.png

Although I just noticed this on my old one. I doubt anyone's stock sticks are wearing like this on the shaft, eh? Might be a downside to the XB1 sticks, but they're cheap enough to replace yearly.
lxXGMfv.png

Grinchy

Banned
zjS5eti.png

It's a terrible picture, but holy shit these sticks are awesome. This a ~2 year old controller that feels brand new. Actually it feels better than brand new because these sticks are a huge improvement.

Now I'm tempted to put these on my 20th Anniversary controller when it comes.

Top Bottom