• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modder creates (WIP) 60fps patch for emulated Breath of the Wild

jediyoshi

More info https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6uglf3/the_latest_news_on_the_60fps_hack_and_how_to_test/

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEq3X6ASGoo

From the author, Xalphenos
"Let me start off by saying this will not increase performance. If you get 30 now you will get half speed 30 with this ”mod". At the moment this is really only valid for use in shrines since physics are now set to be full speed at 60 fps.

The reason I held off releasing this is because this pack should really just be considered a proof of concept. It was only a hasty altering of one line of code so that I could get a few other eyes on it and make sure I wasn't convincing myself of something that wasn't real. I was actually debugging the routine that calls gx2setGPUfence to try and figure out why 20 fps felt like full speed on my AMD card and felt slow on my NVIDIA card.

I wanted to do a full on hack of the system before releasing but I really haven't had much time since discovering it yesterday. I found it about an hour or so before going to work and only did a little more debugging today before I went to work. It's about to be the weekend so maybe I'll get some time to really dive into it. I've had so many people ask me for it now I've decided to go ahead and release the test pack I sent to a few people.

To answer two quick questions I've had several times so far. What about 30 out doors?

Basically I've really only scratched the surface of debugging this thing. It may turn out to be completely simple or completely complicated. I've some ideas if it turns out to be complicated but I'm not really ready to abandon the idea that it may be simple. I find assembly hacking/debugging very fun. So I'm going to keep working on it in my spare time.

Is there a soft cap of 30 outdoors?

I'm not sure. I think it was Epigramx who said it but ”I can't hack you better hardware" While it would be cool to find some magical 30 fps lock that can be turned off I'm highly skeptical of that being the case. There are actually a few people who have reported getting 60 in the open world with skip fence on. So I'm pretty sure 30 fps outdoors is a hardware limitation.

TLDR: This is basically a proof of concept. Try it out in shrines. I'll try to dig deeper as I have time."

For those unfamiliar, people have also created ultrawide mods for use with Wii U emulation
bIw9vWj.jpg

VDRveUa.jpg

Jazzem

...oh my god, if this gets to a fully playable state =O Much respect for Xalphenos, can't be an easy undertaking

Only in shrines, huh. It's a start, I guess. Though he says that it doesn't improve performance, it actually does the opposite. So until Cemu can actually provide locked 30fps in all area for most PCs, this mod wouldn't help much to achieve 60fps in open world.

Lister

Banned
So is the emulated version ready for prime time now?

Would love to finaly play through this game and until Nintendo annoucnes a Shadowplay integration so I can stream my PC games to the switch, I'm not getting one.

takriel

but my eyes can't see the difference anyway, so what's the point? I'll take the cinematic experience of 30 fps any day over the gamey feel of 60 fps!

Would love to finaly play through this game and until Nintendo annoucnes a Shadowplay integration so I can stream my PC games to the switch, I'm not getting one.
If you have a beefy CPU, like 6600k or better at 4.5 GHz or better, you can get a near constant 30 fps, even in towns. And it's a pretty simple process to rip the game from the Wii U so that's not a problem. Also there's no way in hell we get shadowplay integration, however something called Rainway seems to be serving the same purpose so look into that.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Those Ultrawide shots are stunning. I'm sure 5 years from now when mid-tier hardware can play at a locked 60 fps that will be amazing as well lol.

Arrrammis

That's cool, but you'll probably need dual 1080's with the world's most powerful...

Video Description said:
Intel Core i5-7600k
EVGA GTX 970 SSC
8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200

Wait whaaaaaaaa?

I know that outside if shrines you'll definitely have a hard time maintaining FPS, but still, that's crazy impressive!

That's cool, but you'll probably need dual 1080's with the world's most powerful...

Wait whaaaaaaaa?

I know that outside if shrines you'll definitely have a hard time maintaining FPS, but still, that's crazy impressive!
GPU has very little effect on CEMU unless you want to run at 4K+

Mifec

Wait whaaaaaaaa?

GPU doesn't matter much if at all. It's all CPU.

Good to know but the UI is definitely stretched just looked up gameplay ultrawide version

Yes this has been known since the first thread.

jediyoshi

Seems the ultrawide removes some of the top and bottom parts of the game?

You realize the top shot is a regular, 16:9 screenshot of the game, right? :p Just follow the edges of that shot down and see how the 21:9 shot extends the game out. The camera is placed identically between both shots.

Good to know but the UI is definitely stretched just looked up gameplay ultrawide version

People have also since modded a fix for this, there are plenty of variations of how any of this is implemented.

So you are buying the game but not the switch?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks so nice when it's this smooth. Impressive accomplishment from the modder, especially considering the game was built around a 30fps cap

jediyoshi

The upcoming version of Cemu this month fixes the last of the major issues with the game (camera rune related bugs). Aside from that, there's two minor graphical issues I can think of off the top of my head.

Top Bottom