• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft (Xenoblade) is recruiting action game staff for new project

Sandfox

I guess it really depends. The way I see it, Nintendo's marketing is kinda experimental and unpredictable these days. They have announcements they are happy to hold back until it is closer to release for a big surprise - like Xenoblade 2, and they also have stuff they're willing to announce way earlier like "Monado" (looool) and "X". Same with Fire Emblem Switch.
X was announced in that "emergency direct" and Fire Emblem Switch was likely because they wanted to reassure people at the end of a Direct in which they revealed two Fire Emblem games for the 3DS and Heroes.

There's gotta be a Luigi's Mansion 3 and Fatal Frame VI in there somewhere.
I forgot about LM3. I think Retro is working on it. Don't think Nintendo had NLG work on a multiplayer Metroid 3DS spin-off. If they intend them to be making an HD Luigis Mansion title. Also don't think NLG has it in them to make a AAA HD Luigis Mansion. Seems like it would be a logical evolution for Retro. Retro would've been wrapping up development of Tropical Freeze when Dark Moon had been on the market for a little under a year. I could be wrong about my speculation.

I guess it really depends. The way I see it, Nintendo's marketing is kinda experimental and unpredictable these days. They have announcements they are happy to hold back until it is closer to release for a big surprise - like Xenoblade 2, and they also have stuff they're willing to announce way earlier like "Monado" (looool) and "X". Same with Fire Emblem Switch.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Some titles are announced 2 years in advance while others are announced 6-9 months. No apparent rhyme or reason as to why some titles were decided to be shown off and revealed earlier than others.

Fou-Lu

As much as I want another try at Takahashi's six episode epic and a Baten Kaitos 3, I am super stoked to see what they have in store for a new IP. Bets that it ends up being called Xeno____ despite the apparent fantasy appearance?

Xbro

Yeah but...

Gjrhi7W_d.jpg

1xyjD.gif

vareon

X was announced in that "emergency direct" and Fire Emblem Switch was likely because they wanted to reassure people at the end of a Direct in which they revealed two Fire Emblem games for the 3DS and Heroes.

That just means Nintendo's timing of announcement can be different each game and not necessarily following a pattern.

Dremorak

Banned
XC2 features a new world and a different cast of characters. The "2" in the title doesn't necessarily reflect a continuation to the story told in the original. Takahashi said that the number signifies the return of the original's format in terms of structure.

Seems to me like a pretty obvious attempt to keep some mystery about it to me, but I guess we will see in the next 3 months :p

I'm expecting a quick reveal next E3 with a gameplay blowout the year after. Just makes sense to me, I really don't see this being a 2018 title considering they've only just done XC2.

I think early next year may be pushing it. I could see it being an E3 2018 anouncement.

It's rather crazy. Pure speculation on my part based on rumors, development teams, hiring postings, etc. However, these are some titles Nintendo will likely be publishing for Switch in 2018/2019:

2018-
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Smash Bros
Mario Maker
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Bayonetta
Retro Studios game
2D Zelda

2019-
Pokemon(I think it will get delayed to Spring 2019)
Metroid Prime 4
New Monolith IP
No More Heroes 3
Another 3D Mario game

I don't see an E3 announcement for Monoliths game. Recently they haven't announced their games at E3. I feel like this game could be announced in any Nintendo Direct, especially if they want to reveal it for Japan at the same time.

Seems to me like a pretty obvious attempt to keep some mystery about it to me, but I guess we will see in the next 3 months :p

I mean, people said the same for XCX and that was standalone. I'm not betting on anything that could point to a direct sequel and frankly, I hope it's not a direct narrative sequel.

As much as I want another try at Takahashi's six episode epic and a Baten Kaitos 3, I am super stoked to see what they have in store for a new IP. Bets that it ends up being called Xeno____ despite the apparent fantasy appearance?

I don't see why it has to be called Xeno something. They only did it for Xenoblade for the name recognition. Monolith Soft doesn't need that anymore. They're a bigger name now and can give their new IP an original name.

We're never getting a Baten Kaitos 3

😞

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I can't explain why, but that art really holds my attention. I'm curious what this game will end up being and excited for its first reveal. I hope they can capture some of what this art evokes in the game itself.

Usobuko

Banned
I can't explain why, but that art really holds my attention. I'm curious what this game will end up being and excited for its first reveal. I hope they can capture some of what this art evokes in the game itself.

Yup but if it's anything like Xenoblade Chronicle 2 again, I'll see myself out.

The picture with the sword-wielding princess and dragon in the sky absolutely screams Fire Emblem to me. It would make sense for Nintendo to capitalize on the franchise's current popularity with a bona-fide console ARPG and really turn it into a marquee brand.

Yoshi88

I'll take everything with Monolithsoft on it blindly. They've yet to let me down. Masters of interconnected and satisfying game design, theirgames are always a special treat.

The picture with the sword-wielding princess and dragon in the sky absolutely screams Fire Emblem to me. It would make sense for Nintendo to capitalize on the franchise's current popularity with a bona-fide console ARPG and really turn it into a marquee brand.

Are you saying Monolith Soft is making an ARPG Fire Emblem game or using the FE style and looks for their next game?

gafneo

Banned
This image is NOT part of the new project recruitment ad. This is a general one.

Disaster is an action game with some RPG elements.

Maybe nothing & just an ad like you said, but I'd like to point out how the beast resembles the creature that they carved Majora's Mask from in the Manga. Also, girl is holding crossbow like Linkle.

Majora_manga.jpg

Harpoon

Nah, let's get some more new IPs. All that pic screams to me is that it's high fantasy.

massoluk

Banned
I'm hoping there are giant mechs in this game as per Xeno tradtion, because I actually want White Knight Chronicles done right.

Cartho

I'm not really liking the western RPG aesthetics.

:/

Swings and roundabouts - I'm getting increasingly tired of Anime aesthetics personally. Switch needs some more western styled games - I don't want every single Switch game to feature wide eyed anime characters. Not everything needs to be a classic JRPG.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm not really liking the western RPG aesthetics.

:/

It looks more like the Japanese take on western aesthetic / folklore / culture etc. though.

Like you can tell from the characters it's being designed by Japanese artists even if it's not your typical anime look.

And these are usually awesome.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It looks more like the Japanese take on western aesthetic / folklore / culture etc. though.

Like you can tell from the characters it's being designed by Japanese artists even if it's not your typical anime look.

And these are usually awesome.

Those artworks are GREAT

jdstorm

Banned
Sounds like Monolith Soft is doing their best to replace what Bioware used to be.

I am very OK with this. Day 1.

Top Bottom