• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy - First gameplay trailer released, looks amazing

Direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjg1s6A6VJ8

First Gameplay Video - Merry Christmas!
Posted by FDG Entertainment on Tuesday, December 22. 2015

Dear Friends and Followers, we're so happy to finally present you the first official Gameplay Video of Monster Boy! Thank you for all your patience while we're still working on the game. Oh what a year it was! We've made a lot of progress on the game but as you know we couldn't make it in 2015 as we want the best possible quality for you. We hope you enjoy the gameplay snippets that you can see in the video and we're so looking forward to 2016! The year in which we can finally release the game to you and have fun together!

We're planning to begin our marketing activities early 2016 - any help and support is greatly appreciated and needed! Please recommend it to your friends and make some noise! Thank you so much!

We wish all of you a Merry Christmas and A Healthy Happy New Year 2016. #Love

Source: http://www.monsterboy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/13-First-Gameplay-Video-Merry-Christmas!.html

Looks amazing! Captures the spirit and ethos of the original games and looks super fun. On my radar as something I'm really excited for next year. Thoughts?

Day one for me, but it has a weird look that I can't quite describe. Something just looks a hair......off between the way the backgrounds and foregrounds look compared to other 2d games.

Neff

I love this series so much, and the level design looks great, but the art style is even more intrusive in motion than I feared.

Considering how strongly they're playing up its Japanese roots in that trailer, it's ironic and unfortunate that the game looks so very un-Japanese.

They really should have just gone with a low-fi 3D update of the stylised, pastel-coloured Sega titles.

Day one for me, but it has a weird look that I can't quite describe. Something just looks a hair......off between the way the backgrounds and foregrounds look compared to other 2d games.

The old games (and Japanese games generally) employ desaturated, low-contrast tones and less detail in backgrounds to make high-contrast, brightly coloured foreground characters and obstacles stand out more. Here though, everything is high contrast and high detail, making the screen look a little too busy. It's a standard (and popular) approach to western visual design.

Kyne

reminds me of Ragnarok Battle Offline.

ragnarok-battle-offline-1.jpg

I love everything except the character art/animations. But that's nitpicking, because there's nothing else to be critical about. Looks incredible, I love these types of games.

AlfaTrion

OMGGGG

I bought my first console for Wonder Boy after playing it in the arcades and stuck with the original series.

Day One.

Oh, this is Game Atelier? The only game of theirs I've played was Flying Hamster, which was resoundingly mediocre. Have they done anything better since?

entremet

Looks amazing!

God bless, KS*

Best thing to happen to this industry in a while.

*I know it was picked up by a publisher later. But the campaign helped identify demand.

Is it made by any of the original peeps who worked on the actual arcade game?
Or am I confused? Isnt this a SEGA IP, and oh yeah , how come monster boy in wonderland became adventure island on the nes, and made by hussoft?

Or am I confused? Isnt this a SEGA IP, and oh yeah , how come monster boy in wonderland became adventure island on the nes, and made by hussoft?

I think it was because Nintendo didn't allow the same game to be released on other systems, at some point.

Wikipedia said:
To further complicate matters, Westone had a unique licensing arrangement with Sega whereby Sega retained the rights to the names "Wonder Boy" and "Monster Land", but Westone retained the rights to everything else.

So "Monster Boy" is fair game.

You mean Monster World/ Wonderboy. Monster Boy is not a Sega IP, it's the spiritual successor by the original team.

Oh god I will play the shit out of this game. I wonder if it is going to be more like the Wonder boy games or like Monster World 4. I hope the former even though I really liked MW4 as well.

Like the look of the gameplay. Visuals instantly remind me of Maple Story

Look up footage of Wonder Boy in Monster World. Maple Story always seemed like it was a mmo reimagining of it. Right down to the first enemies being little snakes, crabs, and mushrooms.

Edit: Also;

XmY99tN.png

Enk

makes good threads.
Looks quite lovely and most importantly FUN! There's something a tad bit off artistically compared to what I'm used to with the Wonder Boy series, but it's not really a problem, just something to get used to. Fantastic work so far FDG!

Tizoc

Animation could use some work as it reminds me of a mobile game XP
Regardless I'm sure this will win me over with its gameplay :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I KINDA liked the look of original Flying Hamster II a bit more really, but this still looks quite good overall. I enjoy happy-go-lucky theme songs personally. I think it sets the tone nicely, much better than the old "Wizard of Booze" subtitle, especially.

I'm glad the Monster World collection works with Xbox One Backwards Compatibility. Perfect excuse to dive back into those games while waiting for this one.

The game itself looks great but the graphics seem to be...inconsistent? Like, some of the enemies and environments look downright gorgeous, and others less so (that octopus fight...yikes).

Having said that, I'm still looking forward to it very much, and the trailer really whetted my appetite. (Such a nostalgia bomb when they showed Monster Boy fighting the Myconid!)

maxcriden

Very charming. Reminds.me of a cross between Starfy and Shovel Knight. Do we know if all tracks will be vocal? I also want to make sure cutscemes aren't interrupting the action *too* much, any word on that?

So just a heads up: confirmed platforms are PS4, Xbox One and Steam. However they've received an overwhelming amount of requests for Vita and Wii U and have stated that both are possible pending discussions with Sony and Nintendo. From everything I've read from FDG Entertainment so far Vita is looking quite likely though obviously not confirmed yet.

GaussTek

So awesome <3

However, I was wondering. Who owns the rights of the Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap / Dragon's Curse music? I'm guessing Westone, and that they allowed them to arrange it and include it in the game? (genuine question, at first I thought it was Sega who owned the rights, but then I remembered the game was also on PC Engine, but perhaps I'm clueless about all this lol).

Actually looks pretty good.

Things are just a little too "big" to really get my interest. Nowhere near as bad as the ducktales remake, but I wish they kept the sprites and environment details more compact to make for more precise platforming.

So the jury is still out for me about if this is something I'll want to play, or something to buy for the kids.

Top Bottom