• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy - First gameplay trailer released, looks amazing

That is seriously sexy. This and Ghouls & Ghosts are probably the two series from my childhood I couldn't live without.

I do wish I could play it on 3DS, that's such a nice platform for me with this type of game, but PS4 will certainly do.

Wonderboy in Monsterworld is my favorite Mega Drive game, so I can't wait for this... but I wish the 2d Art wouldn't look so flat. It feels a bit like a Flash game. At least it seems to be super smooth in terms of framerate.

WITHE1982

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap is one of my favourite games, so this can't come soon enough!

Amen brotha. I still fire it up on my MS from time to time. It's incredible how ahead of it's time the game was.

I'll be jumping on this day one. If it's half as good as TDT I'll be happy.

Logbomb

Neo Member
I really enjoyed this video, and am appreciating the work they have been doing on the graphics which I think look awesome. They have certainly come a long way.

Not a huge fan of the music choice for the video, and I really hope there will be no singing in the game itself.
Can anyone translate some of the lyrics in the song? Enough to give an idea of what it is actually talking about.

Did anyone notice the fallen piranha man statue in the background of the giant frog boss fight?

PM.png

frog.jpg

Zerojul

Considering Dragon's trap is one of my favorite games ever I'm ashamed to say I just found out about this game. Definite buy.

Amazing to see the reactions to this are overwhelmingly positive! FDG Entertainment are going to be presenting the game to Sega in the hopes of gaining their support i.e. securing the Wonderboy name so there's a chance this could become an official Wonderboy title as opposed to a spiritual successor. Sega would be crazy to shoot them down but then again it's Sega. Hope FDG are successful as all that's missing now is just the name. The name would make this game perfect IMO.

lazygecko

Look up footage of Wonder Boy in Monster World. Maple Story always seemed like it was a mmo reimagining of it. Right down to the first enemies being little snakes, crabs, and mushrooms.

It's kind of funny how there are several examples of popular more modern games that clearly take inspiration from WB/ML that fans are completely unaware about, since the source material is so obscure outside of more discerning Sega/Westone fans. Shantae was the same. And I remember an older indie platformer from the mid 00's that was clearly ML-derivative yet most people described it as "a SNES throwback".

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's kind of funny how there are several examples of popular more modern games that clearly take inspiration from WB/ML that fans are completely unaware about, since the source material is so obscure outside of more discerning Sega/Westone fans. Shantae was the same. And I remember an older indie platformer from the mid 00's that was clearly ML-derivative yet most people described it as "a SNES throwback".

The creator of Shantae insists he knew nothing about Monster World until after the first game was done and people kept comparing the two, which... isn't implausible.

Logbomb

Neo Member
So it turns out the music track they recently released on the official blog, faded out and was cut off at exactly 1:08.

Oddly enough the trailer they just released was also exactly 1:08 in length ... coincidence?

I couldn't help myself but to put them together, and it turns out that at the exact moment the track starts to heat up, the in-game action starts after the cut scene.

It's possible this was the original track from the trailer, which does make it sound more nostalgic. Check it out for yourself:

https://youtu.be/hkWoq-WmJFs

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Animation looks a bit too 'flash-ish' and would have preferred something a bit more tile-based... but still looks awesome! The level designs look cool and I like how the monster transformations and special abilities are present in this. And of course getting to play as the pirate pig!!!

GhaleonEB

I've listened to the entire SMS Wonder Boy III OST like, three times since this video game out. Nostalgia overload, but what a great soundtrack.

Granted, it doesn't take very long to listen to the whole thing...

You know I'm really happy for the team. Feedback both here and on the development blog is overwhelmingly positive. The game looks truly awesome and the positive feedback is reflecting that. They pulled off a miracle reviving a series that has remained dormant for so long so it's amazing to see the game looking this promising and awesome.

The game shouldn't be that far out either. The delay was supposedly from late 2015 to early 2016. It should be coming soon.

petran79

Banned
exactly how i feel. reposting from the other thread, but this is the kind of aesthetic i'd expect from a wonder boy sequel.

4rj90Lb.jpg

the game's design is closer to the western localized cover

261569-wonder-boy-in-monster-land-atari-st-front-cover.jpg

261570-wonder-boy-in-monster-land-atari-st-back-cover.jpg

but even so, not all Japanese covers were the same

MD-Wonder-Boy-III-Monster-Land.jpg

421px-Wonder_Boy_in_Monster_Land_sms-jp_cover.jpg

Top Bottom