• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Demo Impressions & Multiplayer Thread

DaBoss

Searched and didn't see any thread for impressions or setting up multiplayer rooms. May more add info about the demo later on.

If you want demo codes, go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971378

Demo has unlimited uses. Allows you to play solo and local/online multiplayer. It is compatible with the CCP (XL).

The demo contains 3 monsters you can fight (you can't fight Gore Magala if you chose "Beginner" difficulty at the beginning of the demo; the difficulty you chose will be displayed at the to-right of the bottom screen):
Great Jaggi (Beginner)
Tetsucabra (Intermediate)
Gore Magala (Advanced)

Difficulty can be set each time you start the demo or beat a monster.

You can use all the weapon classes in MH4U. You can opt-in to have a tutorial for a weapon you chose and have beginner-friendly tutorial messages appear during quests.

How to set up the room:
1. Choose Online Multiplayer -> Select the monster you want to hunt. Choose "Createa Gathering Hall".
2. You can set up a 4-digit passcode if you want (if you don't, then random people will be able to join).
3. You will then be put into a room with a 14-digit code above the top-left player space (Gathering Hall ID). Post that code here with the info on what monster you're going to hunt and difficulty level (include the passcode in your post if you set one).
4. Wait for people to join in the "Lobby" before going to the continuing.
5. Choose your weapon and then then wait for the other players to show up as "ready" before starting the quest (pictured below).
W82QLOH.png

How to join a room by Gathering Hall IDs:
1. Choose Online Multiplayer -> Choose "Find a Gathering Hall"
2, Select "Yes" to searching a gathering hall ID and then enter the 14-digit code (and then the passcode if there is one) posted here.

How to join a random room:
1. Choose Online Multiplayer -> Choose "Find a Gathering Hall"
2, Select "No" to "Search for a Gathering Hall ID" and then choose a room to join. It should be noted that most rooms require a passcode.

NOTE: People playing with different difficulty options cannot hunt together.

The online multiplayer isn't region-locked (thanks to co1onel).

Music note combinations for the Hunting Horn:
Bkd14ss.jpg

The codes can only be used once, so you should look for the latest posts that contain codes if you want to play online multiplayer with other GAF members.

Netto-kun

As an Insect Glaive player in 4/4G I'd just like to say one thing.

Please don't whack the monster when someone is mounting it. \o/

Edit: Also have a look here and here for great weapon tutorials and what has changed from 3U -> 4U.

tuffy

Weirdly, my LBG time against Great Jaggi turned out a little faster than my HBG time. I appreciate the bigger hit flashes for my shots, but getting used to the underwater-style free-floating camera instead of one with discrete vertical steps will take some time.

As an Insect Glaive player in 4/4G I'd just like to say one thing.

Please don't whack the monster when someone is mounting it. \o/

Edit: Also have a look here and here for great weapon tutorials and what has changed from 3U -> 4U.

Oh and when someone says they're planting bombs, please don't hit the bombs.

*Stares at Netto*

Cob32

Only played with hammer so far against the thing with tusks.

I noticed during the battle my cat companions would sometimes set themselves up as like a springboard. Can this be used to mount monsters?

Kinsei

Banned
Quoting my impressions from the other thread.

The charge blade is amazing! It's definitely my new main!

Gore is a ton of fun. I can already tell Chaos Gore solo without cats is gonna be a hell of a good time!

I've now beaten all 3 demo bosses with the insect glaive! I must say both the charge blade are simply amazing (the charge blade being slightly more amazing than the insect glaive). I can see this becoming my favorite MH yet if the rest of the new monsters are as fun as Tetsucabra and Gore Magala.

co1onel

Just finished a match with 4 people. The frame-rate is sooooo bad. Felt like 20fps the entire time. Extremely tempted to get a n3DS but I'm going to hold out for now. Frame-rate in 2 player felt fine, and single player is definitely good. The graphics are hilariously ugly. Low-res textures everywhere.

Anyways, now that I got that out of the way, this game feels really good to me. I first tried out the bow, and the new controls are a godsend. Having the bow attack mapped to the R button frees up your right thumb for control of the camera while charging an attack. The game just feels tighter to me overall. The parkour is kinda nice. I like being able to quickly traverse the environment.

The sns feels great too. Jumping off cliffs and attacking is nice, and the attacks feel better. Hammer feels largely unchanged to me.

The new monsters felt kinda meh to me, but they weren't bad. Gonna have to wait to play some more monsters.

Playing on an OG 3DS is certainly something, but hopefully a CPP will help alleviate it somewhat.

I'm really liking what I played so far, much more fun than any 3rd gen game. Gonna give the new weapons a try now.

Is online multiplayer region-locked?

No. I played a match with two people from US and two people from EU.

krossj

I've been sticking to my regular, hammer, dual swords and great sword mix. Tried the insect glaive and didn't enjoy it so much, might give it more of shot in the actual game.

The demo has been great. Everything feels fluid in single player aswell as online, only issue i've had is being disconnected after confirming my weapon but in game everything runs great. Tetsucabra and Gore Magala are a lot of fun and Jaggi is Jaggi. Magala can be quite the challenge especially when it refuses to land. The animation of the new monsters looks very nice.

The game isn't always pleasant on the eye in the visuals but the environments are still interesting with a lot of detail and the gameplay seems just as good as it was in MH3U and without those underwater sections i'm really looking forward to the release.

Shengar

Wait, do they change on how Long Sword works? My spirit meter just suddenly dropped to nothing after idling for a seconds

Kinsei

Banned
Will need time with the charge blade. Right now it just feels a bit too quick to power up and attack. Unless am missing something the mechanics whilst powerful feel a bit simple.

I love the way the attacks feel, the amount of variety you have at your disposal, and managing all 3 charges is fun to me.

The demo contains 3 monsters you can fight (you can't fight Gore Magala if you chose "Beginner" difficulty at the beginning of the demo; the difficulty you chose will be displayed at the to-right of the bottom screen):
Great Jaggi (Beginner)
Tetsucabra (Intermediate)
Gore Magala (Advanced)

This part here... Is it a one-time setting for the demo, or could you change it each time you launch the demo?

Beats

What are the songs for the Hunting Horn in the demo? The equipment menu option is locked out, so I can't check in game...unless I'm missing something.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Getting like 20 FPS in the single player. Is this a joke?

I figured this was just a repeat of the MH3U demo so I didn't read much up on it before I downloaded it. The multiplayer was a happy surprise :-D

co1onel

holy hell. i like how the lance's hits now seem to be more powerful with the impact-noises.

it just give sit more OOMPH
I don't know about the lance but the bow also shakes the screen slightly when it hits. Feels nice as it gives more weight to your attacks

daydream

Banned
I played some online earlier with a couple of GAFfers, was great fun (complete MH newcomer here).

I then managed to do the first quest solo. Only played bow so far but I think I'm gonna switch to something else. I like using ranged weapons but I feel like my arrows do zero damage. For the first quest, I just started melee-ing after a certain point.

Kinsei

Banned
I played some online earlier with a couple of GAFfers, was great fun (complete MH newcomer here).

I then managed to do the first quest solo. Only played bow so far but I think I'm gonna switch to something else. I like using ranged weapons but I feel like my arrows do zero damage. For the first quest, I just started melee-ing after a certain point.

You were charging your shots and using coatings, right?

tuffy

Blasting off the rock monster's tusks with normal shot is a great feeling. I can't tell if the HBG set is running with Evade Extender or if hunters cover a bit more distance with rolls than before. Love the new font, though.

Kansoku

Just played solo against Jaggi with Long Sword and Insect Glaive.

The jumping and mounting monsters feel sooooo gooood. I love it. Everything feels great too.

I loved the Glaive, it's fast and has great combos, but I don't think I'll be using the insect much. It's kinda hard to aim (especially without CPP or the New 3DS nub) in the heat of battle.

DaBoss

I really like the fluidity of the movement. It is fast and the fact that small ledges don't put you at a complete stall whether you're jumping off of them or climbing them just makes it feel so nice.

Lots of the hits seem to have a bigger impact effect or something. That's nice as well.
What are the songs for the Hunting Horn in the demo? The equipment menu option is locked out, so I can't check in game...unless I'm missing something.
Go into the menu and choose "Weapon Controls". Then choose Hunting Horn. Then go to the 3rd page.

Top Bottom