• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: Wilds Announced | The Game Awards 2023

Pejo

I love that you can tell it's gonna be a more immersive experience with tons to do in the game world opposed to Rise's "boss rush" philosophy, so I'm hyped on that end.

Graphically, it's got a lot of time to improve, I don't care about that until it's closer to release.

Gameplay wise, we have no real clue about much yet. The birddog thing seems fine. A natural evolution of the Palamutes to seemingly allow for bigger and more vast locales.

That said, Capcom has kinda been teetering on a villain arc lately as a publisher with their monetization and practices. Hope it's just a phase and MH6 doesn't get gutted by MTX and greed any worse than the stuff that is in Rise like making us pay for weapon skins, which absolutely SHOULD NOT be part of a MH game. MH Now on phones has been a real shitfest with various decisions though, so I'm a bit concerned.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think mistaking this but the monsters who are chasing the hunter looks like Goss Harag with brown fur.

Last edited:

Comandr

If this is the REX engine it looks like shit. I am starting to think this is going to be on Switch 2.
Calm your tits. The game has OVER a year left in development. Remember when GTA6 leaked and everyone said it looked like shit and was going to be fucking trash? Look what happened.

Preliminary development probably began after Iceborne launched in 2019. It would have then switched engines to the newly announced REX engine. There are still lots of telltale signs that that switch may not have happened yet. For instance, the ambient occlusion in the trees in the final scene of the trailer demonstrate the same shimmer that current RE engine games do with certain settings.

This is very likely a vertical slice for the trailer to give you an idea of what's to come. At this stage in development, I would suspect they are still in alpha, with beta coming either summer or fall. I would not be surprised to see a demo around october-december and then launch on january 17th or 24th 2025.

Ryozo specifically said they were targeting PS5 level hardware. He specifically mentions "cutting edge hardware" in his video.

This game has a tremendous draw distance and we have already seen many - I counted over 30 - high quality monster models densely packed on screen. No fuckin way Switch 2 could do that with the potential specs its rumored to have unless they massively scale that back. No. Capcom's gonna do the Capcom thing and MH6 is going to be PC/PS5/Xbox and then MHP team will have their own 6th gen game for Switch 2 and later everything else, same as we did with MHW/MHR.

NanaMiku

I'm just guessing here based this logo art here......
QwslzIN.png

I'm guessing we are getting leviathan class Elder Dragon this time around?
If it is Leviathan.... THEY BETTER BRING BACK LAGIACRUS

lagiacrus-monster-hunter.gif

I never understand people who want MH as on open world game. Sounds like a pain when tracking the monster.

Danjin44

I never understand people who want MH as on open world game. Sounds like a pain when tracking the monster.
I think the big difference between new MH maps old map are they much more seamless.....

With old MH you had to load to each part of the map when chasing the mounter.

NanaMiku

I think the big difference between new MH maps old map are they much more seamless.....

With old MH you had to load to each part of the map when chasing the mounter.
I know, but Capcom already solved this problem in World and Rise. If MH become open world, I think it'll lose its charm. MH is always an arena hunt for me.

Danjin44

I know, but Capcom already solved this problem in World and Rise. If MH become open world, I think it'll lose its charm. MH is always an arena hunt for me.
I kind of agree with you that I dont want to see MH go full big open world and become pain in the ass just chasing the monster across giant map.

FeralEcho

The art and graphics look off...this looks too washed out....After the colourful World and especially Rise this looks like a B team effort in that regard...and on more powerful hardware as well, I'm sure it'll improve by the time it releases but as a first impression this failed to hype me and I have hundreds of hours poured in World.

eNT1TY

Expected much more visually but what is there is serviceable i suppose, gonna be awesome game either way. This definitely has some switch dna for a possible port like a previous poster suggested.

cripterion

While I'm excited for Monster Hunter, (seriously how come they haven't released a new one for current gen), the graphics on display here, the animation, this feels like a PS4 game, not what I'd expect on current gen.

EDIT : Of course the scale looks to much improved.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The art and graphics look off...this looks too washed out....After the colourful World and especially Rise this looks like a B team effort in that regard...and on more powerful hardware as well, I'm sure it'll improve by the time it releases but as a first impression this failed to hype me and I have hundreds of hours poured in World.
They are showing harsh weather effects like sandstorm and thunder, in my opinion a game not being "colorful" it doesn't make the visuals automatically bad....Also this is Monster Hunter, we know they also going have lush jungles, snow areas and many different biomes through out the game.

FeralEcho

They are showing harsh weather effects like sandstorm and thunder, in my opinion a game not being "colorful" it doesn't make the visuals automatically bad....Also this is Monster Hunter, we know they also going have lush jungles, snow areas and many different biomes through out the game.
It has nothing to do with the biomes.A game can have weather systems and still look great.Forza Horizon has a sandstorm and it's not a washed out glimmering mess like this.

I honestly thought that when there was a transition at the end, that it went from last gen graphics to this gen. I'm not entirely sure what happened there, but I think that was a bad trailer regardless. We need a second look at this game pronto.

Danjin44

I honestly thought that when there was a transition at the end, that it went from last gen graphics to this gen. I'm not entirely sure what happened there, but I think that was a bad trailer regardless. We need a second look at this game pronto.
We have loooooooooong way to go before this game gets released, lot of things will change and we are getting more info through later on and I'm hoping with get demo fighting buffed up flagship monster in 2024.

Robb

Gold Member
Meh, doesn’t look very interesting. Although I’m no MH guy in general.

It’s way further out than I would’ve guessed though.

NanaMiku

Since this game is kinda World 2 situation, I hope the weapon design does not suck.

The evading of the small monsters at the beginning is also new. I think this also showcases that now small monsters will also do turf war

giphy-downsized-large.gif

TheKratos

Something feels off. This looks like open world shit and a spin-off (which usually is timed exclusive to one console). Also I'm shocked at 2025, wtf have they been cooking all this time just to show this meh trailer and then say 2025.

What was wrong with MH World 2? And I don't like the switch to open world. I think World had perfect map sizes. They are goign to make it bigger with the same content and stuff to explore as World and it's going to be boring.

And yes it's also probably limited by Switch 2 hardware.

SaintALia

It's announced for Xbox too. But that depends on Switch 2 specs.

If it's powerful enough for such a massive game (again if they're going for that seamless dynamic ecosystem open world stuff) then sure, if not then it may get a more "traditional" Rise 2 style thing that also goes multiplatform later and they stagger platform releases for maximum sales of both.

Will probably take a couple years for Switch 2 to actually have a worthwhile install base after all, even if it's selling out from launch.
Was thinking this, but this seems more a follow-up to MH Rise, and MH World 2 will come after. I'm guessing this will launch with Switch 2.

Knowing Sony, They likely secured MH W2 exclusivity and that'll launch in 2025/26.

GymWolf

Ok the graphic looks a bit shit (probably because it has to run on switch 2) but it's open world monster hunter with what seems to be an even more robust creatures ecosystem so i'm fucking in.

Tomi

Can they ask guerrilla games, their horizon game is phenomenal
Capcom probabl dont know how to make modern type monster game

I bet they downgrade the graphics for switch 2 .
What we watched could run on Switch 2 devkits. Feed was 30fps and it didn't look more impressive than MHW, it looked worse actually. MHW was mostly a PS4 game, this looks like a Switch 2 game so about the same graphically.

Maybe we'll get a true MHW 2 later.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

What was wrong with MH World 2? And I don't like the switch to open world. I think World had perfect map sizes. They are goign to make it bigger with the same content and stuff to explore as World and it's going to be boring.

And yes it's also probably limited by Switch 2 hardware.
This is World 2

408540327_10227941887787023_4992184825388566402_n.jpg

RickMasters

shit…… so now I really got mash through MH: rise before this comes out. I hope it’s a late 2024 release. I need to catch up with rise first!

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Monster Hunter was originally "sounds like a pain" the game, everything was a massive chore. Its only recently its moved away from that, and people complain that rise is too fast and easy... because they keep eroding those chores more and more.

Having you work for something means it becomes more valuable when you finally get it, that's a fine balance to get right. I think we can stand to let specific monsters a bit harder to track down in a huge open world map. I think your also forgetting about what players potentially gain from that, what if you can see random hunters running about doing different things as you traverse the world? No need for lobby's just have 16 people all plonked into the same map and let them go wild.

Need more details though, looking forward to seeing what Capcom does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom