• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch

TrutaS

Good for the switch. People will think that this will be the new monster hunter machine. I guess Capcom will evaluate based on this instead.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I enjoyed MH4 more than X. The super moves were hard for me to land, navigating multiplayer was more streamlined in 4, and I don't like how they broke the weapons into individual classes. I don't want to pick a style for my hammer I just want all the moves like it used to be on MH4.

Vuze

MH3U was 60 on Wii U while it was 30 on 3DS and they could play together, so mechanics are not tied to framerate.
3U was unlocked on 3DS iirc (double buffered so 99% of the time you'd see 30 but rarely 60) and I'm not sure why 3U even matters when we talk about X/XX.

Vuze

Because both got an HD port?
I still don't see the connection in relation to my concern. Just because both got a port to another console means they followed the same development paradigm?

E: Don't want to derail the thread too much. I'd be super happy if they can simply unlock the framerate to 60 on Switch and the just locked it to 30 on 3DS to deliver a consistent experience. Let's leave it at that.

Mokujin

Kind of odd that they didn't wait just a tiny bit with E3 around the corner, while it was kind of expected it's nice that it's finally being announced as the strong 3DS performance and 2DS announcement kind of casted some doubt about when this was happening.

We should get a really nice jump in resolution, shadows and some texture work should be done (plus fking TV play!), but I don't expect much more done till MH5.

This kind of seals the deal for Japan and kind of confirm Stars happening quite soon.

PtM

Banned
I still don't see the connection in relation to my concern. Just because both got a port to another console means they followed the same development paradigm?

E: Don't want to derail the thread too much. I'd be super happy if they can simply unlock the framerate to 60 on Switch and the just locked it to 30 on 3DS to deliver a consistent experience. Let's leave it at that.
I see your point now, for what it's worth.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I am intrigued as well.
Where was this shown?

I hope I'm not insane and misleading people, but I solidly remember a 3DS trailer getting released and many comments on GAF being, "Is that from the unannounced Switch version??? Why is part of it in HD?" I recall that it was only the first few seconds that were in HD before it switched back to low-res footage, and my memory is certain it was MHXX because I remember thinking that the game looked worse than I expected in HD. However, if no one else remembers this, perhaps it was another 3DS game... I haven't found the thread yet, but I'll keep looking for it. I sincerely hope I haven't confused this game with another!

EDIT: Found what I was thinking of, and my memory was surprisingly right. I oddly remembered Marth being in the trailer, and it was indeed from the FE x MHXX content that I wasn't sure existed! Here's the trailer. You can be your own judge about if it's indicative of the Switch version at all.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I hope I'm not insane and misleading people, but I solidly remember a 3DS trailer getting released and many comments on GAF being, "Is that from the unannounced Switch version??? Why is part of it in HD?" I recall that it was only the first few seconds that were in HD before it switched back to low-res footage, and my memory is certain it was MHXX because I remember thinking that the game looked worse than I expected in HD. However, if no one else remembers this, perhaps it was another 3DS game... I haven't found the thread yet, but I'll keep looking for it. I sincerely hope I haven't confused this game with another!
Don't worry, I remember that incident too, it had Valfalk.

Okay, I don't mind people "port begging", since, as a fan, I want EVERYBODY to get their hands on Monster Hunter... But what the fuck is this exclusivity taunting over a fictional game (as of right now)?

Also tbh nobody should be surprised about this and giving Capcom props, since it's literally the SAFEST, cheapest, and most obvious bet they can make on the Switch.

I think you might be confusing it with the glimpse of HD Pokémon we got from the BTS developer videos.

I'm probably wrong though.

tenor.gif

Capcom often put out trailers / renders in higher res than the actual product. That's also why people thought Mh stories was a switch game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Wasn't this about MH Stories?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry, I remember that incident too, it had Valfalk.

I think you might be confusing it with the glimpse of HD Pokémon we got from the BTS developer videos.

I'm probably wrong though.

tenor.gif

Capcom often put out trailers / renders in higher res than the actual product. That's also why people thought Mh stories was a switch game.

Wasn't this about MH Stories?

I found the trailer I was thinking of. You can be judge of whether this gives any indication of what the Switch version will look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmMaQ8GC8g

I could definitely see this just being meaningless 3DS promo footage, as Stairouais (awesome name, btw) probably has a point.

ADS

Well damn, now I have to somehow find a Switch.

My first Monster Hunter was Generations, I've never played it on a big screen and am seriously stoked to do so. Awesome news.

Top Bottom