• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch

Pachimari

Isn't this the more action heavy Monster Hunter? Like a side game but with more bite sized battles opposed to say like a RPG adventure like MH4?

Kyoufu

Isn't this the more action heavy Monster Hunter? Like a side game but with more bite sized battles opposed to say like a RPG adventure like MH4?

They're all the same. This one is faster and flashier, but the core game is the exact same.

There's a side game called Monster Hunter Stories which plays like a single player RPG though.

HeeHo

The format is the same as the others games, but they added "supers" - like tech bars from Street Fighter.

Mister Wolf

Expeditions and Frenzy Monsters made MH4U a better game for me than MHX. I'm not bothered by the addition of styles as much as losing those two. I also found multiplayer easier to navigate on MH4U

Dr. Lame

Neo Member
I've never played Monster Hunter, so this news shouldn't be that exciting to me, but I can't help but be interested.

I've got to say that I enjoyed reading the reactions on Twitter to Capcom's announcement. So much happiness. I love seeing other gamers happy. It's infectious.

Mupod

there seemed to be some confusion about the messaging when it was announced, but structurally it's very much the same as mainline monster hunter. The only real difference are the styles (add and remove certain moves/mechanics) and hunter arts (kind of like supers, or cooldowns).

Another pro hunting styles guy here.

Hoping they bring those and prowler mode over to 5.

I like cat mode as a way to sandbag to help lower rank people without having to wear joke gear. But it needs to be fleshed out a lot more if they bring it back IMO.

Those? as in just the one it was?

and no, capcom will never make a MH for the switch, this is the only one, enjoy it

My bad I thought MH4U was on it. Didn't realize U stood for Ultimate.

And when was the last actual console quality MH they made? An I wrong to be skeptical?

I thought all of Capcom's HD port ups from 3DS (MH3U, RE Revelations, EXTroopers, Ace Attorney series) looked pretty great.

I only played MH3U but was incredibly disappointed. Though I guess you can only do so much with a 3DS port. I guess it's an expectations issue since I didn't realize that's what it was when I bought it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I've never played Monster Hunter, so this news shouldn't be that exciting to me, but I can't help but be interested.

I've got to say that I enjoyed reading the reactions on Twitter to Capcom's announcement. So much happiness. I love seeing other gamers happy. It's infectious.
How do you deal with all the Gaf negativity lol?

Buckle

I like cat mode as a way to sandbag to help lower rank people without having to wear joke gear. But it needs to be fleshed out a lot more if they bring it back IMO.
I agree.

Its fun as it is but it takes some work and you have to get very specific to make it work on a lot of tougher hunts.

If I remember right, boomerang cats are very powerful at endgame in Generations but everything else is kind of a bust. The game seems to be very intent on you playing primarly as a hunter (felyne mode is something you hop into every now and then for funsies but its awesome enough that I would like to see it expand into its own full fledged alternative playstyle), hoping that would change in the future and allow for prowlers to be more robust in the future.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Expeditions and Frenzy Monsters made MH4U a better game for me than MHX. I'm not bothered by the addition of styles as much as losing those two. I also found multiplayer easier to navigate on MH4U
One thing that the Monster Hunter Team needs to do is give the localization team a bit more creative freedom because one thing I did find really annoying in the Multiplayer Search function was that certain Monster "varients" were not listed.

Scenario A: "Alright time to farm Gold Rajang!!"....only Rajang is listed in the search function so now I have to look up specific Quest names where Gold Rajang appears.

Scenario B: "I need some Black Fatalis Scales,some Red Fatalis Crimson Wings and White Fatalis Horn"....only Fatalis is listed in the search function so once again I have too look up the different Quests names.

After talking to the head of the localization team over Twitter apparently these "Monster Varients" were not added to the search function because those are still classified as "Rajang" and "Fatalis" in the Japanese version of the game.

Also the drip feeding of ON CARTRIDGE DLC needs to stop because there shouldn't be a reason why I had to wait 6 months after the game released to finally have access to White Fatalis in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when all the data for that Quest and Weapons have been on the cartridge since Day 1.

Eolz

I loved 4U, didn't really like X.
Maybe it's because they were too close to each other, but while it felt like a fantastic tribute and celebration of the series, the pacing was really off, it felt less accessible, and I really wasn't happy with that new weapon upgrade system.
The arts and styles were decent, but I wouldn't like that to come back. Had the same impression as with the underwater combat of 3 really.

Would be nice for 5 to fix all of this stuff.
I'll still buy XX on Switch though. I expect it to look barely better than 3U on WiiU, but it should be nice to play anyway, especially undocked, and I don't mind supporting this kind of support.

Okay, let's discuss when the hell we'll see the goods! I believe the championship starts at 11PM EST or 5 hours from now, which is where we're supposed to see info IIRC. How long is this thing?

DigSCCP

Kinda bummer to have another 3DS game instead of the announcement of a new game.
Still waiting for a Switch based title to be hyped.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Okay, let's discuss when the hell we'll see the goods! I believe the championship starts at 11PM EST or 5 hours from now, which is where we're supposed to see info IIRC. How long is this thing?
Event is 5 hours long, 'm guessing they'll show it at the beginning?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Kinda bummer to have another 3DS game instead of the announcement of a new game.
Still waiting for a Switch based title to be hyped.
Its essentially a new game to almost everyone here considering that 3DS game doesnt have an English version

They seriously need to revert the monster health to be balanced around four people and not two. I don't care about arts or anything like that, for me MH Gen was too easy because all the monsters just died too quickly, and the arts didn't help. Even level 10 variants weren't that bad or long if you knew what you were doing.

If online is four players it's no fun to kill something in twice the time since it's health is designed for two, I felt like very few battles in Gen lasted long enough to enjoy them.

PKrockin

-So either remove them completely
-Make them an Armor Skill
-Add obvious drawbacks to each style (example: Adept Style users receive an extra 30% damage Ariel Style builds mount gauge slower)
-Or properly Balance Monsters to account for the Hunting Styles

Because as is Hunting Styles where horribly balanced in Generations and they were almost just as bad as the Slime Weapon shenanigans from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Are you serious with making making Adept and Aerial into armor skills? Because that doesn't fit the design philosophy of armor skills being things that can help, but don't have a massive impact on your play style or any impact on your actual moveset. It's a bad idea to group together massive gamechangers with nearly worthless skills. This series already has problems communicating everything the player needs to know, let's not make it worse. Keeping styles separate is the best solution.

They do have obvious drawbacks. Adept only dominates the leaderboards for dual blades and the gunner weapons. And if anything, Aerial tends to be both underpowered and tricky to use properly. It's probably the worst style on average.

I think Generations is better balanced than 4U. The charge blade was so absolutely busted. A glaive user was essential for the hardest quests, being the only weapon to get reliable mounts. Still, it doesn't really bother me because this isn't a PvP game. After hundreds and hundreds of hours, I've already become good at all the weapons, so introducing styles is wonderful way to let me keep experimenting and learning.

Dantrist

Wasn't 3DS the first Nintendo handheld to get the series though? It wasn't necessarily a sure thing. It could have been a one generation deal.

Ah that could definitely be true. With so many 3DS releases I sort of thought of Monster Hunter as a Nintendo only series, but that's not correct.

They seriously need to revert the monster health to be balanced around four people and not two. I don't care about arts or anything like that, for me MH Gen was too easy because all the monsters just died too quickly, and the arts didn't help. Even level 10 variants weren't that bad or long if you knew what you were doing.

If online is four players it's no fun to kill something in twice the time since it's health is designed for two, I felt like very few battles in Gen lasted long enough to enjoy them.

Thw game was easy even solo. I think it's easier than 4U regardless. The Arts and Styles amplify it but it wasn't hard regardless. I dunno if G rank will rectify this but I beat online byself. I couldnt do that in any other MH.

They could scale up the enemy HP but that wont make it harder. If you had to choose a way to make it harder you want to scale up their damage.

In an OP way or "it's shit" way? I always wanted to use that and probably wouldn't if it was bad.

Once you learn all the advance mechanics they are legit OP as fuck.

Hux1ey

Banned
image.php

I dun get it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Agree 100%. Honestly even the single player felt super easy

I'm happy with this, hopefully it's more than a bare minimum upres. I'm playing the hell out of it either way, i'd just love for some of those barebones weapons and armors to get some texture/model love.

Top Bottom