• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS announced, launching March 18, 2017 in Japan

Kinsei

Banned
Is this just the same game again with a couple of new dudes and monsters?

That's just sad.

Yes. There will be a couple of new monsters, some new variations of old monsters, a few new maps, and a new difficulty class. It's an expansion pack.

Philippo

For the love of God Nintendo name it Generations X in the West so we can have a Billy Idol reference in the thread title

Monster Hunter Generations X |OT| Hunting with myself

squall23

Is this just the same game again with a couple of new dudes and monsters?

That's just sad.
But that's how it's always been. The world outside Japan has only ever gotten the expansion version while Japan has always released a base game and then an expansion.

Well, until now anyway.

Kinsei

Banned
But that's how it's always been. North America has only ever gotten the expansion version while Japan has always released a base game and then an expansion.

Well, until now anyway.

We got Monster Hunter & Monster Hunter Freedom, Monster Hunter Freedom 2 & Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and Monster Hunter 3 & Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, MH4 is the odd one out.

Better translation of Brave Style
What they described is that if you continuously attack the monster, you build up your 'Brave Meter'. Once it's full, you can new combos that you can't do normally, and your evades will be faster than normal as well.

Sounds like them giving Archdemon to every weapon class?

Mupod

Operating under the assumption that the western launch will include a Switch up-port like 3U. Would be great if we could import saves across platform and skip the shitty grind in early Generations...I don't want to farm up full Dreadking again either.

If it remains 3DS only, I'm probably still in but they would need to take some steps to make it more attractive. Namely some actual major N3DS enhancements - it's ridiculous that Generations looks and runs worse than 4U.

I can definitely say that this will easily become the largest MH game ever. There's very few that were held back from X/Generations and it's safe to say that they'll bring back Gigginox and the like. Deviant monsters extending even further difficulty-wise when they already rival G rank is going to be something else.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why is everyone assuming a Switch version is happening? Wouldn't they just start with 5 on the Switch (say at the end of 2017 or early 2018) and also wait a while for the install base to actually be there?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
After MonHun Stories, this one looks like trash graphically speaking.
Aesthetically speaking MHS looks like trash to me because I wasn't able to see past the kiddie/Yokai Watch like style so I never had any interest in MHS. Graphically speaking the MH series has always looked like a PS2 or PS2+ game and the series has never bothered to make use of the actual hardware they are on. The only technical "marvel" for the series would be MHTri on Wii and MHO on PC.

Dystify

Why is everyone assuming a Switch version is happening? Wouldn't they just start with 5 on the Switch (say at the end of 2017 or early 2018) and also wait a while for the install base to actually be there?

Wouldn't it make more sense to port a game first to help grow the install base before fully developing a new game for the console?

JimPanzer

Aesthetically speaking MHS looks like trash to me because I wasn't able to see past the kiddie/Yokai Watch like style so I never had any interest in MHS. Graphically speaking the MH series has always looked like a PS2 or PS2+ game and the series has never bothered to make use of the actual hardware they are on. The only technical "marvel" for the series would be MHTri on Wii and MHO on PC.

Stop. MH4U and MHX are some of the best looking games on the 3DS.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Stop. MH4U and MHX are some of the best looking games on the 3DS.
That's may be true but the extremely poor screen resolution of the 3DS doesn't do the game justice

But what else can they start with? The only logical way to do this would've been with a MHX expansion on both 3DS and Switch, and THEN go all-out with MH5 from the ground-up exclusively on Switch.

It gets a game on Switch as early as possible (they'd never do that if it was built specifically for it, not enough time), and it allows them to get one last hurrah out on 3DS before the... umm... switch. XD

Personally, I wish they were doing remakes of MH1 and 2. We've seen the villages in Generations and I just checked yesterday, they really did overhaul the assets and aren't just ports of the PS2/PSP originals. That would've been awesome last 3DS game(s) IMO, as the 3DS would have EVERY generation ever then.

Hmm... I do want to see a MH game on the Switch ASAP, and given the march release date, I can see them going for 3ds and Switch simultaneously. It seems like something Capcom would definitely do, we'll see I guess lol. MH5 is going to be the one to look forward to the most regardless :)

Xion_Stellar

In that case you can't blame the game to make best use of the hardware they are on like you did ;)
They're best looking for what they do but Capcom themselves gas shown before they can do better on the hardware before (not a far comparison but RE:R comes to mind).

Mupod

Short answer: Because Capcom.

Long answer: Before Tri came out, Capcom actually rushed out a port of Monster Hunter G to the Wii. Not 2, not 2G, not Freedom Unite - MH1 G. Never mind the previous precedent set with 3U.

On top of taking the easy money, I feel like they are going to need more time to make MH5 since they can't re-use assets like they have been. Even with an extra year I bet we can expect another MH3 situation where the quantity of content is scaled back while making improvements in other areas.

Capcom streaming MHS with Link/Epona/Skullkid costume. Looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTH8F0G3gbE

D0RsfRF.png

Capcom does what Nintendon't.

PokéKong

If 5 is being built from the ground up as an HD console title, and thus the very first MH game to be so (not counting a Chinese MMO), then we have at least until 2018 to wait for it. Whether XX stays on 3DS or comes to Switch, I don't really care, I am relatively new to the series and am still happily eating up what ever they give us. If this is our appetizer to tie us over while the next main game is in the works, I'm glad to take it where ever it ends up.

Because they would be crazy NOT to port the game to switch?

IT fits their current strategies like a glove

Cmon now

Syril

Short answer: Because Capcom.

Long answer: Before Tri came out, Capcom actually rushed out a port of Monster Hunter G to the Wii U. Not 2, not 2G, not Freedom Unite - MH1 G. Never mind the previous precedent set with 3U.
That was to the Wii, but yeah, that was total WTF. Maybe they didn't want to take the time to adapt Freedom Unite to consoles properly, but they could have at least used Monster Hunter 2.

PokéKong;221681471 said:
If 5 is being built from the ground up as an HD console title, and thus the very first MH game to be so (not counting a Chinese MMO), then we have at least until 2018 to wait for it. Whether XX stays on 3DS or comes to Switch, I don't really care, I am relatively new to the series and am still happily eating up what ever they give us. If this is our appetizer to tie us over while the next main game is in the works, I'm glad to take it where ever it ends up.
I always got the feeling they want to do something super game changing with 5 and are using Generations to experiment with game mechanics so that if they don't work out in the long run they can dial them back because "oh that was the experimental game".

I think this will be the first MH game that I'll pass since MHF on PSP. I'm done with playing MH on a tiny cramped handheld with terrible resolution. Maybe I finally had my fill with thousand of hours played.

Mainline MH games and side games like this and portable 3rd are not done by the same team. MH5 should be in production since MH4U, normally.

le.phat

The annual releases are really grinding me down. I've never felt this indifferent to a new MH announcement before ;|

tuffy

Mainline MH games and side games like this and portable 3rd are not done by the same team. MH5 should be in production since MH4U, normally.
Key members of the mainline team were working on Stories, so I suspect MH5 isn't all that far along at this point.

Key members of the mainline team were working on Stories, so I suspect MH5 isn't all that far along at this point.

Oh well, not to worried since they probably wouldn't have been far off pre-production either way because they'd have to wait for NX dev kits I think

Xion_Stellar

The annual releases are really grinding me down. I've never felt this indifferent to a new MH announcement before ;|
But it's always been that way (for the most part) in Japan but now that we are getting them yearly in the West too people starting to not like that? Capcom can't please everyone I guess.

I thought I was definitely going to buy whatever MH Capcom put out next but after watching the trailer....ughh I'm not so sure anymore. The changes are too minimal to get me excited.

Also, if this game is coming to the Switch, only Japan will get to play it at launch and the rest of us have to wait for months for localization.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's called Monster Hunter Double Cross and we don't even get to play on the side of the monsters? What kind of scam is this.

Raide

It's called Monster Hubter Double Cross and we don't even get to play on the side of the monsters? What kind of scam is this.

100% this! Waste of a cool name.

Hopefully the Switch version gets announced since that will get me to buy one and that means the old 3ds assets won't look too horrific.

Top Bottom