• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

Juraash

It's weird to me that people would play this game and stick to one weapon and style. It's all about variety and experimentation IMO.

The styles and hunter arts are fun, but they also aren't coming back. Just the stuff in Generations made me a sloppier player when going back to 4. I don't really want to develope any bad habits or miss things that are definitely not returning in the next game.

That said, I see the appeal of brave style in just the few tiny hunts I did today at lunch. So I'll probably stick with it a little longer and see what I think when I start fighting real monsters.

Hm. I'm not getting my Urgent hunt to get to village 6, and I did all the key quests listed on kiranico. I got the red bubble on the Bherna chief, but I don't see the mission (and the guild gal didn't have the red bubble like usual). And obviously I have no idea what he said.

Anyone know what's up?

Boogiepop

Okay, trying to decide on a weapon for this time around... I only ever touched a bit of Generations, actually, but I should be able to dive into this one. So I'm a bit behind on (and kind of intimidated by) styles, honestly. But yeah, think I want to try changing things up slightly like I usually do with a new MH, but also don't want to overwhelm myself TOO bad. So weapons I've already mained for a long period as not complete scrub are: dual blades, hammer, and charge axe (though I didn't know about guard points and honestly still don't really know them properly, so I guess I was still scrub). So I think I want to avoid those. And my friends are maining dual blade/hammer and great sword, so those are out for not wanting to be lame and have overlap. And then I just really don't feel like learning full on gunner stuff or hunting horn, as those both intimidate and also don't especially interest me.

Now, of what's left... I kind of want to try Gunlance, maybe paired with the new Brave Style. Any good guides on how to actually play that, and would I be diving in too deep if my playstyle has mostly been "just whack stuff in the right places while trying not to get hit, use super attack when applicable"? I'd also be up for either Switch Axe or Long Sword for sure, a little less interested in Lance and Sword and Shield.

rpmurphy

Okay, trying to decide on a weapon for this time around... I only ever touched a bit of Generations, actually, but I should be able to dive into this one. So I'm a bit behind on (and kind of intimidated by) styles, honestly. But yeah, think I want to try changing things up slightly like I usually do with a new MH, but also don't want to overwhelm myself TOO bad. So weapons I've already mained for a long period as not complete scrub are: dual blades, hammer, and charge axe (though I didn't know about guard points and honestly still don't really know them properly, so I guess I was still scrub). So I think I want to avoid those. And my friends are maining dual blade/hammer and great sword, so those are out for not wanting to be lame and have overlap. And then I just really don't feel like learning full on gunner stuff or hunting horn, as those both intimidate and also don't especially interest me.

Now, of what's left... I kind of want to try Gunlance, maybe paired with the new Brave Style. Any good guides on how to actually play that, and would I be diving in too deep if my playstyle has mostly been "just whack stuff in the right places while trying not to get hit, use super attack when applicable"? I'd also be up for either Switch Axe or Long Sword for sure, a little less interested in Lance and Sword and Shield.
I would say check out Gaijin Hunter's weapon tutorials as a beginning point, which have good information on the combos, damage values, and various tips. For MHX, he did a series with all the weapons and for each covering all styles.
Gunlance (MHX)
Brave Gunlance (MHXX)

PKrockin

Hm. I'm not getting my Urgent hunt to get to village 6, and I did all the key quests listed on kiranico. I got the red bubble on the Bherna chief, but I don't see the mission (and the guild gal didn't have the red bubble like usual). And obviously I have no idea what he said.

Anyone know what's up?
At this point you must have completed the quest lines for each village elder. As you go through them you'll encounter the Generations flagship monsters, and finally get quests to fight them, and then you'll get the Glavenus urgent. I just checked my Hunter's Notes but here's a list I found online. You can Ctrl+F those English names here if you want to make sure you've got the right quest.

Kokoto:

2* Slay the Velociprey
2* Hunt the Velocidrome
3* Local Threat
3* Into the Wyvern's Den
Unlocks 5* The Thunderclap Wyvern

Pokke:

2* Slay the Giaprey
2* The Mountain Roughrider
3* The Shadow in the Mountains
3* No Go on the Popo
Unlocks 5* The Unwavering Colossus

Yukumo:

2* Bye Bye Jaggia
2* Arzuros the Azure Beast
3* Royal Spit Take
3* A Forest Fracas
Unlocks 5* The Entrancing Water Dancer

Lizardus

Anyone know what's up?
Only thing that makes the urgent not show up is not exhausting all speech bubbles and key quests. Check keys again.

Lagi in Deserted Island, Rathlos in Volcano, Uragaan in Volcano are V5* keys.

Edit: To above post, I remember the other three being keys in Generations as well but they aren't keys in XX according to Kiranico. Were they changed?

Pejo

Really been tempted to pick this up lately. Especially since I found out SnS oils aren't making a comeback in World. Between HA's and oils, SnS was one of my favorite weapons for the very first time, in this series.

I just know the day I order it is the same day it will be announced in English.

How hard is it to buy games digitally through the JP store from NA? I already have the JP account added to my Switch from downloading the demo, but I'm not sure how payment works cross-region.

At this point you must have completed the quest lines for each village elder. As you go through them you'll encounter the Generations flagship monsters, and finally get quests to fight them, and then you'll get the Glavenus urgent. I just checked my Hunter's Notes but here's a list I found online. You can Ctrl+F those English names here if you want to make sure you've got the right quest.

Kokoto:

2* Slay the Velociprey
2* Hunt the Velocidrome
3* Local Threat
3* Into the Wyvern's Den
Unlocks 5* The Thunderclap Wyvern

Pokke:

2* Slay the Giaprey
2* The Mountain Roughrider
3* The Shadow in the Mountains
3* No Go on the Popo
Unlocks 5* The Unwavering Colossus

Yukumo:

2* Bye Bye Jaggia
2* Arzuros the Azure Beast
3* Royal Spit Take
3* A Forest Fracas
Unlocks 5* The Entrancing Water Dancer
This is it. Thanks! I basically did nothing but keys to rush to HR, unlike in Generations where I did every mission.

How hard is it to buy games digitally through the JP store from NA? I already have the JP account added to my Switch from downloading the demo, but I'm not sure how payment works cross-region.
It's not hard at all. Just buy digital codes from a shop of your choice and redeem them on the Japanese account. It's the last option on the eShop menu. That's the easiest way to do it, but it's not the only way.

This thread is whack.

Seeing you guys fight the moon language when we shouldn't be in this position.

Whack.

I wish they would just say "FUCK YOU WE'RE NOT RELEASING THIS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN!" instead of the "no plans at this time" bs that we got. I would honestly rather just know it's never coming and I don't care how rude they were about it. I would probably import if they said it's never coming over.

Hybris

I wish they would just say "FUCK YOU WE'RE NOT RELEASING THIS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN!" instead of the "no plans at this time" bs that we got. I would honestly rather just know it's never coming and I don't care how rude they were about it. I would probably import if they said it's never coming over.

I don't think there's any reason at all to hold onto localization hope. It didn't make much sense when they said "no plans" either. If you are interested in getting it, I wouldn't wait if you aren't playing something else you'd rather be playing right now.

Hybris

So my joycon x button seems to be functioning normally again. Must have been some particle that got caught in a bad spot and enough presses dislodged it? Don't have to RMA it, that's a relief. And I can go back to lounging with the joycons separated. I love how comfortable that is!

I'm surprised how easily I could play the game by muscle memory, but I guess it's to be expected after 800 hours of MH4U and 100 of MHGen. Google translate, Kiranico and Poogie translator are amazing resources, it basically eliminates the language barrier for me.

My only complaint with this port is how it kills the Switch's battery life.

ys45

Yay I received my copy yesterday.

I skipped MH Generations so I know nothing about the style, guess I'll go watch some GaijinHunter videos for some tutorials lol .

I should be alright with Kiraniko wiki and my JLPT5 skills :p

blado

I saw some people complaining in a few other threads/websites that MH3U for the Wii U looks better than MHXX for the switch, so I thought I would compare them myself using the Deserted Island map.

MHXX:

Much better environmental texture quality
Environments themselves have a higher poly count.
Water is of far better texture quality and also has reflections
Much sharper shadows
Anti-aliasing
Dynamic light shafts
Performance more consistent
Moderate frame-pacing issues :(

MH3U:

More pronounced bloom effect
Occasional performance issues

EDIT: MH3U for the Wii U still uses bilinear filtering while according to Digital Foundry MHXX for the Switch using anisotropic filtering.

Hybris

I saw some people complaining in a few other threads/websites that MH3U for the Wii U looks better than MHXX for the switch, so I thought I would compare them myself using the Deserted Island map.

MHXX:

Much better environmental texture quality
Environments themselves have a higher poly count.
Water is of far better texture quality and also has reflections
Much sharper shadows
Anti-aliasing
Dynamic light shafts
Performance more consistent
Moderate frame-pacing issues :(

MH3U:

More pronounced bloom effect
Occasional performance issues

EDIT: MH3U for the Wii U still uses Bilinear filtering while according to Digital Foundry MHXX for the Switch using anisotropic filtering.

Yeah I don't really understand when people say 3U looked better. My guess is they are looking at ported gen 1/2 maps like marshlands and comparing them to 3rd gen maps. The 3rd gen maps in XX switch look great compared to 3U.

Yeah I don't really understand when people say 3U looked better. My guess is they are looking at ported gen 1/2 maps like marshlands and comparing them to 3rd gen maps. The 3rd gen maps in XX switch look great compared to 3U.

Misty Peaks at night in XX is so beautiful.

I don't think there's any reason at all to hold onto localization hope. It didn't make much sense when they said "no plans" either. If you are interested in getting it, I wouldn't wait if you aren't playing something else you'd rather be playing right now.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm grabbing the demo now. Just created a Japanese account.

Kanhir

Edit: To above post, I remember the other three being keys in Generations as well but they aren't keys in XX according to Kiranico. Were they changed?

They're keys in XX. I think it's just because Kiranico splits off the requests from the main quests.

Juraash

So sadly, I'm not going get much time with this game over the next week or so. My switch has that annoying issue where the corner of the screen lifts, especially when the system is getting heavy use. I was able to ignore it before, but the amount of time I'm spending with the Switch, especially as a handheld right now is making it too annoying to ignore.

Better to get it fixed while it's covered and I haven't dumped 100s of hours into the game (in case the saves don't survive). Still going to play at lunch and tonight before it goes out though lol.

Misty Peaks at night in XX is so beautiful.
Yes! I couldn't believe it. The green mist near camp, and that dark cloud/bright moon contrast of the skybox <3.

I reached village 7* and reached HR2 last night. Was fun sort of talking to this one Japanese player. I don't think he accepted my guild card :(.

I have to translate these other chat messages, haha. Once I saw "good job," I flocked to it and always say it after we kill the monster. I need to know which one is "don't sweat it" after people say sorry when they cart.

Also, I can't help but laugh for the statuses because, while "pinchi!!"/pinch is fine, I always think of the Spanish "pinche" and it's distracting (but awesome), haha. I try not to let the constant "ano"s get to me, either, ha (anus in Spanish)

Kyoufu

Yes! I couldn't believe it. The green mist near camp, and that dark cloud/bright moon contrast of the skybox <3.

I reached village 7* and reached HR2 last night. Was fun sort of talking to this one Japanese player. I don't think he accepted my guild card :(.

I have to translate these other chat messages, haha. Once I saw "good job," I flocked to it and always say it after we kill the monster. I need to know which one is "don't sweat it" after people say sorry when they cart.

Also, I can't help but laugh for the statuses because, while "pinchi!!"/pinch is fine, I always think of the Spanish "pinche" and it's distracting (but awesome), haha. I try not to let the constant "ano"s get to me, either, ha (anus in Spanish)

&#12393;&#12435;&#12414;&#12356;&#65281; is don't sweat it.

Say &#12362;&#30130;&#12428;&#27096;&#12391;&#12375;&#12383; when you slay a monster

Say &#12464;&#12483;&#12472;&#12519;&#12502; when you cut a tail or something.

Boogiepop

Actually got it running and booted up and tried gunlance for a little bit and... yeah, that just feels way too wierd to me. I actually didn't play much Generations, so I think I'll count Switch Axe as still "learning a new weapon" like I normally do in a new MH and go with that again.

So I figured since I haven't seen any details or information on any of the new support moves for Palicos, I would do a write up myself because I have all of them now. I have no idea what they're truly named, so I'm going to personally name them along with how much support gauge needed, the icon, how to unlock them AND what it does.

Power Acorn [0]: Same icon as a Paintberry (pink circle seed-looking thing).
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Congalala.
Fully heals and maximizes HP by 25 points, but it uses one of your acorns.

Bomb-ball Balance [1]: Golden brown scale icon.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Lavasioth.
Cat moves on top of a ball and can steer in any direction for a little while sending the ball in the direction it's facing afterwards for a nice explosion. Causes impact damage when running into the face of a monster. Controls are unorthodox.

Spiky-ball Balance [1]: Gray scale icon
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Duramboros.
Pretty much the same as the Bomb-ball Balance, but this one does not explode. Instead it seems to have the Partbreaker effect where monsters will flinch more often and parts will break easier.

Burrowing Drill [1]: Golden brown Palico cutting weapon icon.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Barroth
Cat will dig underground and move (can be controlled) for a while. Afterwards, they will drill out of the ground and into the air for 3 hits that can result in a mount.

Healing Mask [1]: Green barrel icon.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Giadrome
Cat puts on a mask that regenerates health over time for a while. Regeneration pauses if knocked down. Effect seems to spread if an ally is nearby.

Music Box [1]: Same icon as trap tool, but orange. (Orange open box)
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Basarios.
I don't know what the hell this one does lol. It's similar to the Vase of Vitality where it is placed on the ground, but there's no icon nor a visible buff that it seems to give. My only guess is that it effect hunters stamina and does nothing for cats. I'll do some experimenting and edit this post once I figure it out.

Beasts Echo [1]: Light blue gem icon.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Tigrex.
Normally this is for Beast cats as their secondary support move, but it can be passed on. The cat will roar granting itself and all allies in the area a Negate Stun buff and any other buffs the user currently possess.

SP Horn [2]: Same icon as field horn.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Barioth.
Play the horn and go into SP mode. That's it.

Pali-cannon [2]: Same icon as those arena coins, but turquoise.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Gravios
Cat will set down a cannon that it and other cats can use (1 at a time iirc) and shoot themselves at any angle out at great speed. Can result in a mount.

Farcatster [3]: Same icon as Farcaster.
Unlocked by hunting or capturing Nerscylla
Use it to return to base camp.

Phew, and I think that's it. Hope this was helpful!

Boogiepop

You know what'd be a nice "quality of life" feature when World comes around? Not making veteran hunters bother with gathering quests at the start! It's admittedly at least a short hump to get past, but man, it's always such a drag to start up a new MH, be pumped to dig in... and then you have to put up with this crap for a while till they at least let you loose at a Great Jaggi or whatever.

Netto-kun

I was about to say that I am ready for G rank but was reminded that my weapons are still kind of eh.

DIp2tohV4AAjY0A.jpg:orig

Hybris

I've been taking it pretty slow. Keeping a GS, hammer, CB, LS, and 1 DB of each element at highest rank I can get it to.

And accidentally farming 10 royal ludroths for ludroth duals when I actually just needed to carve regular ludroths... I mean I really just wanted to farm dash extracts!

Playing the demo on the tv last night and this looks better visually than 3U on WiiU. I think I'm gonna import. Really don't want to farm the armor set I had all over again but what are you gonna do?

Edit: I finished Zelda recently and keep wanting to press B to run so I'm rolling all over the place lol

You know what'd be a nice "quality of life" feature when World comes around? Not making veteran hunters bother with gathering quests at the start! It's admittedly at least a short hump to get past, but man, it's always such a drag to start up a new MH, be pumped to dig in... and then you have to put up with this crap for a while till they at least let you loose at a Great Jaggi or whatever.

Agreed. I get that it's for newcomers so they understand that gathering materials is important, but there should be a toggle/option that asks if "you're new to Monster Hunter" or something. That way newcomers still get the warm welcome, and us veterans can get to the killing haha.

Also I just encountered one of the things I really hated about Generations and now this game: the upgrade system. I have full Malfestio armor and the ONLY way to upgrade it any farther is to get 5 rare materials from the owl (one for each armor piece). Why couldn't it just be with armor spheres like usual? Uggh.

Thanks for the tips, kyoufu.

Also, is anyone else noticing they suddenly stop running sometimes? Any reason behind it is bad: I don't want it to be my new pro controller acting up, and I don't want it to be the game. But I definitely hold R down and sometimes itt just doesn't register or stops briefly while I'm already running. It's very curious and it's only made me take damage twice so far, but it's annoying.

It seems to happen when I change the camera and move with it, but not always. This is this game's quirk for me now. With 3U on Wii U it was the annoying habit of the camera changing angles when you moved the right sick.

Deband

Also, is anyone else noticing they suddenly stop running sometimes? Any reason behind it is bad: I don't want it to be my new pro controller acting up, and I don't want it to be the game. But I definitely hold R down and sometimes itt just doesn't register or stops briefly while I'm already running. It's very curious and it's only made me take damage twice so far, but it's annoying.

It seems to happen when I change the camera and move with it, but not always. This is this game's quirk for me now. With 3U on Wii U it was the annoying habit of the camera changing angles when you moved the right sick.

Haven't had this happen. Could you try playing with the joycons?

Just got my copy today and powered through all of the one star village quests. Having a decent amount of fun (and learning characters/readings that I didn't know), but I'm getting tired of gathering and small monster quests.

Hopefully the two star quests introduce a lot more big monsters.

blackflag

downloading now. i have 10 japanese language credits but unfortunately didnt retain anything. lol

i can read hiragana and katakana but i dont know what the words mean. forgot basically all of the kanji i learned

KdylanR92

The only thing i'm having trouble with is the food skill menus, i've pretty much just been picking randomly.

Generating resources and buying items via the cats is real text heavy so i'm not looking forward to that.

PKrockin

Seems like the Switch joycons have garbage range or something because even from my couch some 6 feet away the game stopped responding to my inputs on the right joycon for a second or so. That happened every 30 minutes or so.

^ The new gunlance art, Anti-Air Flare, is pretty badass.

pronk420

Is there a way to switch off the vibration? Its way too loud and kind of annoying. I can't see anything in the translated menus.

Theswweet

I had a weird issue where Amazon Japan said my card was declined, but then it was apparently ok, but my bank says it was approved hours before I got that email? I ordered this game over 24 hours ago... if it isn't at least preparing for shipment when I wake up I'm cancelling and going digital. FFS, I've used this card on there before!

Top Bottom