• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Tale |OT| Taking care of your metroidvania pet!

Salsa

eRpqO.jpg

Developer: DreamRift
Publisher: Majesco Entertainment
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release Dates: NA March 22, 2011
Genre: Adventure/Pet Simulator/Metroidvania
ESRB: Everyone

Monster Tale is a Nintendo DS platformer and virtual pet game developed by DreamRift and published by Majesco. It follows the story of a young girl, named Ellie, and her adventures in Monster World with her monster companion, Chomp. Together they must stop the evil Kid-Kings and return Monster World to its rightful inhabitants, the monsters.

For those of you unnaware, DreamRift is made up of former EA developers who worked in the fantastic Henry Hatsworth in the puzzling adventure.

Features:

- Genre Mash-Up: Platform adventure on the top screen mixed with a deep pet raising game on the Touch Screen.

- Raise & Evolve Chomp: Train your monster companion in the Touch Screen Pet Sanctuary. Give Chomp food, equipment and toys so that it grows, evolves and gains new abilities to assist Ellie's adventure. Chomp has approximately 30 unique forms with different attributes and abilities including attacks, shields, bombs, and bounces, among others. Chomp's abilities are directly related to how you raise him so nurture him with the utmost care.

- Chomp Will Do Your Bidding: Ellie can summon Chomp from the bottom screen to the top screen at any time. Use Chomp to help fight enemies and leverage his abilities to access new areas.

- Explore Monstrous Worlds: Battle through 5 non-linear worlds and face off against a menacing kid-monster duo at the end of each. A Wicked Treehouse, Monster Nightclub, Ancient Ruins and even a Monster Express Train await you and your monster friend.

- Pamper Your Pet: Collect money throughout the game then use those earnings to shop for food, toys or equipment for your monster pet. How you use Chomp in battle and what items you give it--including weapons, pick-ups and power-ups--affect how it evolves. Defeated enemies may even drop items that Ellie can pick up to use for Chomp later on.

- Pump Ellie Up: Apply earnings toward new abilities or stat enhancements for Ellie to make her a more formidable fighter.

- Epic Battles: Go head to head with giant boss monsters and their kid-king masters! String together devastating combos and throw down some super attacks to get the upper hand.

- Conquer Thy Enemy: A myriad of inspired enemies await defeat. They fly, burrow, rocket, jump, teleport, crush and much more in lots of devious and challenging ways.

- Acquire Runes: Defeat certain boss characters or discover hidden areas to earn runes as you play. Gain permanent upgrades to give Ellie additional abilities like dash, roll and wall jump to aid her on the adventure.​

4h0rF.png

Kinda fugly drawn art...

monsterTale.jpg

... that translates beautifully into pixely goodness

monster-tale-20100511114713845_640w.jpg
monster-tale-20100511114708783_640w.jpg
monster-tale-20100511114720423_640w.jpg

monster-tale-20100511114718142_640w.jpg
monster-tale-20100511114721642_640w.jpg
monster-tale-20100511114720423_640w.jpg

NEWER SCREENS!

SwSOX.png
5FgQN.png
t6s5a.png

pzk8b.png
yq64Q.png
zl1K3.png

Videos:

Trailer

Items Gameplay

Upgrade Gameplay

Boss Fight Gameplay

GiantBomb QuickLook

1DwXV.png

Nintendo World Report - 8/10

Monster Tale is a fantastic action game stinted by pedestrian exploration. Fortunately, consistently engaging combat and pet evolution systems temper the game's overreliance on backtracking, and its pleasant visuals and soundtrack suit the game well. While not the best of its kind, Monster Tale is a well made game that that fans of the GBA and DS Castlevania games absolutely should experience.

Gameinformer - 8/10

Criticism aside, Monster Tale is a polished platformng adventure with light RPG elemens that make it more then just another pet simultator. It uses the aged DS hrdware to full effect for a novel experience

more coming soon...

29ngh0z.gif

Emitan

I somehow already got a copy of this from Amazon. Haven't tried it yet, but GiantBomb's Quick Look almost guarantees this game will be able to tear me away from Pokemon for a while.

Salsa

Billychu said:
I somehow already got a copy of this from Amazon. Haven't tried it yet, but GiantBomb's Quick Look almost guarantees this game will be able to tear me away from Pokemon for a while.

Yeah i just went with the listed release date, but many people seem to already have it.

Emitan

Played up to the first save point instead of sleeping. No L button use so far, which is good because I won't have a working one until I get a 3DS.

Chorazin

The Giant Bomb quicklook made this look awesome, but with Pokemon and Radiant Historia fighting for my time, and the 3DS launching so soon...I think I'll have to pass for now, like poor Okamiden.

Chairhome

Billychu said:
Played up to the first save point instead of sleeping. No L button use so far, which is good because I won't have a working one until I get a 3DS.
I say this in every DS thread, but try pinching the button and lifting it up a little, then blow into it. It usually fixes the button problem.

wazoo

Chorazin said:
The Giant Bomb quicklook made this look awesome, but with Pokemon and Radiant Historia fighting for my time, and the 3DS launching so soon...I think I'll have to pass for now, like poor Okamiden.

Pokemon does not need your money, this one does.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
You had me at "Metroidvania pet," lost me at the artwork in the banner, then got me cautiously optimistic at the screenshots.

Seems interesting, but the art in the screens makes it looks like one of those "Rocket Slime Adventures" types where it's a bit too easy for it's own good.

watkinzez

Monroeski said:
Seems interesting, but the art in the screens makes it looks like one of those "Rocket Slime Adventures" types where it's a bit too easy for it's own good.

Easy? The Hatsworth team? I wouldn't count on it.

The OP should include the Nintendo World Report review - it's well-written, detailed, and is (AFAIK) the only review online thus far.

Monster Tale is a fantastic action game stinted by pedestrian exploration. Fortunately, consistently engaging combat and pet evolution systems temper the game's overreliance on backtracking, and its pleasant visuals and soundtrack suit the game well. While not the best of its kind, Monster Tale is a well made game that that fans of the GBA and DS Castlevania games absolutely should experience.

Summary

Pros

Satisfying combat that requires strategy
Chomp's leveling system consistently offers interesting new abilities
Clever boss battles
Exquisite soundtrack pays homage to Castlevania

Cons

Overly guided experience with limited exploration
Chomp's level-ups interrupt the flow of battle
Ellie's uninventive, incremental upgrades
Excessive backtracking

Chorazin

wazoo said:
Pokemon does not need your money, this one does.

Pokemon already got my money, day one. It was considered a PAX East essential item to me, just as important as food and clothes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Probably the last regular DS title I'll ever want (that's been announced anyways). And it looks like a good one. I might have to order this online. I can't even find a place that has a placeholder for the title to be in stock later.

Noogy

With the increased horsepower of the 3DS, I fear that this is going to be one of the last 2D pixel-art games. Buy it, people!

Emitan

Chairhome said:
I say this in every DS thread, but try pinching the button and lifting it up a little, then blow into it. It usually fixes the button problem.
Thanks, man! I've tried blowing many times but it never worked. When I tried to lift the DS Lite's shoulder buttons it felt like they weren't moving so I never tried to blow when lifting them.

Spwn

wazoo said:
Do not count on it too much.

Just thinking if there already was a publisher. If not then I guess it won't be coming with 3DS just around the corner and Majesco supposedly not really having too much faith in the game. I may import, seems interesting and I liked Hatsworth. This will probably have a price drop very soon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Game Informer gave it an 8.
Criticism aside, Monster Tale is a polished platformng adventure with light RPG elemens that make it more then just another pet simultator. It uses the aged DS hrdware to full effect for a novel experience

Chairhome

Billychu said:
Thanks, man! I've tried blowing many times but it never worked. When I tried to lift the DS Lite's shoulder buttons it felt like they weren't moving so I never tried to blow when lifting them.
So it worked? Cool! Yeah, I was bummed when my R stopped working, I tried blowing into it thinking it would never work, but it did! And yeah, it doesn't even feel like its lifting up at all, but I guess that 1mm it moves is enough to blow any dirt between the button and contact out (and probably applies to how dirt got in there in the first place).

Emitan

Chairhome said:
So it worked? Cool! Yeah, I was bummed when my R stopped working, I tried blowing into it thinking it would never work, but it did! And yeah, it doesn't even feel like its lifting up at all, but I guess that 1mm it moves is enough to blow any dirt between the button and contact out (and probably applies to how dirt got in there in the first place).
...and it stopped working again :/

This game is one of those VERY rare times when I feel like getting it just to support the company. Ordered it from Amazon ever thought I didn't know much about it at the time.

Can't wait for my 3DS to come so that I can just get to playing all the games I haven't been able to for the past year with my DS's broken top screen. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My copy from Amazon arrived today.
I'll try to play it a little later tonight and return with impressions.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ok, yup.
I'm not all that far, maybe half an hour into the game, but this is definitely going to be one of the better leap-of-faith blind buys. I've already taken down a boss, leveled up Chomp 6 or so times, gained two of Ellie's power ups, learned 3 or 4 of Chomp's skills and traits, and solved a decent number of environmental puzzles.

It's incredibly easy for now, but this brief 30 or so minute glimpse was surprisingly varied and perhaps bodes extremely well for the rest of the game. The music is catchy, the graphics are a bit simple, but appealing. The animation is fairly nice, and while I don't feel like it's pushing the hardware in any significant fashion, it does evidence a good bit of polish. Everything looks and feels great, so far.

Pretty excited to continue. After Okamiden.

Ranger X

Sammy Samusu said:
I'm here for the "vania" part!

There's no vania part. The popular term for this "fake non-linear" design for a 2D or 3D game is a "metroidvania" because they are the 2 known series for using this design style.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Noogy said:
With the increased horsepower of the 3DS, I fear that this is going to be one of the last 2D pixel-art games. Buy it, people!
Nah, I doubt it. Extra horsepower just means 2D-phile devs can do more with their games, but I doubt they're obligated to move to polygons. These days I think most devs recognize 2D/3D art as a stylistic choice. The real concern is that bitmaps are expensive to deal with in really high resolutions. But the 3DS' bottom screen is the same resolution as a Sega Genesis, and the base resolution of the top screen is only somewhat larger (and then the vertical resolution is effectively doubled for 3D to create the stereo image, which I assume is something that can be handled at the system or API level). In other words, the 3DS is still pretty low-rez -- none of its screens have resolution equal to PSP, for instance, and there are tons of 2D games on PSP. I doubt this is the end of hand-drawn bitmap art in games.

That being said, people should get Monster Tale because it's good. A bit easy so far, but well-made.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Median said:
Tried to pick this up at a Gamestop downtown Toronto but they said it was street dated :(

Best bet would be Gamerama, they frequently break dates (even if I hate their store and employees). Game Centre usually sticks to street dates, and HMV/Gamestop/Best Buy/etc will never break street date.

RaidenZR

I typically don't post here about the games that I work on but in this case I feel compelled to make an exception. I'm one of the DreamRift guys and Monster Tale is important to me/us. As tempting as it is, I don't intend to really discuss the game though, since it's new and I feel strongly the game should represent itself.

I simply want to thank those of you who are supporting the game in some way, shape, or form. Be it acknowledging that it exists, discussing it, purchasing it, borrowing it, looking at it, googling info on, etc. I can speak on behalf of those who worked on Monster Tale and we truly, truly appreciate it. This is underlined now especially when we know that the 3DS is competing for people's interest, attention, and dollars this month. You have our utmost gratitude.

If you enjoy the game, I'm very glad for that and hope it was worth it to you. If for whatever reason you don't, well.... We'll try harder next time!

29ngh0z.gif

Yuterald

Picked this up yesterday and played it for an hour. I like it. Animations are slick, music is better than I expected, and the game is fun. I'm a sucker for the "metroidvania" style of games, especially if they are 2D. And I am DEFINITELY enjoying this more than Henry Hatsworth.

I am surprisingly eager to check out more of this game than Okamiden (and I love Okami). I picked up both these games over the past week and if I can pull myself from Yakuza 4 anytime soon (which is impossible at the moment lol!) I'm gonna make this my next DS game to invest time into.

RaidenZR said:
:O

If I weren't so attached to Pikachu I would SO avatar that!

I might do it anyway if the game is as good as I hope. Wont know until my 3DS comes :/ (But the game will be here in a few days!)

Top Bottom