• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Insight into MS and Rare - Retro Gamer Issue 122 Interview with Phil Tossell

Hindle

Banned
It sucks that the rug was pulled from under them while they were trying to reform, but they shit the bed for years prior to that. They made Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker: Live and Reloaded, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata: Trouble In Paradise and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Granted, some of those games were pretty good, but none of them really caught on with consumers. As I said, it sucks for long time Rare fans, but Microsoft has steered Rare into profitability. Maybe they'll one day earn the right to hands off creative freedom, but from 2002-2010, they sure as hell earned the right to lose it.

Now that they're a more stable company, it's plausible albeit unlikely they could return to core related games for the XBO. Only, This time they'll handle the process much better hopefully anyway.

I loved old school Rare as much as I loved Nintendo and SEGA back in the day. It is a shame that the Xbox brand was an ill fit for them and their games.

Who was the one making the decisions to cancel the games? Wasn't Peter Molyneux head of the Europe Microsoft studios? Hopefully the positive response that Killer Instinct (even if it's not from Rare) has gotten will allow Rare to do more traditional games.

Sydle

Who was the one making the decisions to cancel the games? Wasn't Peter Molyneux head of the Europe Microsoft studios? Hopefully the positive response that Killer Instinct (even if it's not from Rare) has gotten will allow Rare to do more traditional games.

Scott Henson, a long-time MS exec, was studio head after Banjo bombed and Mattrick took over. Henson, probably on orders from Mattrick, wanted Rare to focus on Kinect.

Malreyn

microsofts treatment of rare is terrible. they didn't even give Killer Instinct 3 BACK to them (the creators)

Edit:eek:k apparently I didn't know shank linked was fake

It does suck but I wonder if it might change in the next few years. Obviously they have Kinect Sports Rivals coming but I wonder what's next. I know Phil mentioned that he'd been talking with Rare about a new non-Kinect project but odds are pretty good he's just blowing smoke.

Maybe Rare will be given a bit more of a leash now that Microsoft doesn't have to forcefully push the Kinect on people since it's in every box from launch. Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking as well.

Either way, I do think the reception for Killer Instinct caught Microsoft off guard. Perhaps if the sales for KI are enough they'll truly realize the demand for Rare created IP and finally get a non-Kinect Rare title to market.

Microsoft killed Rare

Hopefully the Xbox One Kills them at least in this market.

In a nutshell. Senior leadership are all MS guys. And the focus is Kinect.

It is best for everyone, if they let the 90s go.

Rare right now is basically Heroes Season 2, on repeat. Phil is Tim Kring, selling us a dream and vision that has long passed.

Doodis

Kameo lookin' all growed up!

kameo22.jpg

I would have loved to play kiddy Kameo with a fairy MC instead of the weird hybrid of LOTR and a Fox Kids cartoon that we got, and its potentially dudebro sequel

Pachinko

Well MS clearly bought rare all those years ago hoping it would keep laying golden eggs like it had for nintendo.

Think back on their output for the N64 years -
1996- KI gold
1997- Blast Corps, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing
1998- Banjo Kazooie
1999- Jet Force Gemini , DK64
2000- Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Mickeys speedway USA
2001- Conkers Bad Fur Day

Around this time a bunch of people left forming free radical, the guys who made time splitters. Outside of Conkers Bad Fur Day and possibly Jet Force Gemini , all of the above games were multimillion sellers. This also doesn't mention the 2 dozen or so other games Rare made , mostly donkey kong country and donkey kong land, while working with nintendo.

So the Rare which microsoft invested fully into was missing many of the people responsible for both goldeneye and perfect dark and it now didn't have access to any of Nintendos own IP's obviously. I'm sure the intent, initially was that rare could pump out 2-3 games a year that would hopefully attract the family audience to the xbox. The original xbox was pretty much popular among college aged men and little else. Unfortunately I think Nintendo got rid of rare because they saw something changing with their output , in 2000-2002 their output vastly decreased and I think Nintendo just wanted an out. MS bought in , expecting the late 90's rare but they got lemon. At the time of transfer only 4 games were being worked on - Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and that early prototype banjo racing game. Ghoulies got shoved out the door and wasn't that great and the other 3 games got bumped to 360. To make up for that gap, a single game was built- Conker Live and Reloaded but it too, failed to set the sales world on fire.

Pre Kinect then, Rares output consisted of the aforementioned Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo , both 360 launch games and eventually that Banjo's nuts and bolts title. In the meantime, Microsoft attempted to again ape nintendo with a brand launch rivaling pokemon. Spending a shit ton of money on viva pinata as a game , show, comic, etc. There was even an expansion/sequel released but all in all not enough to make up for that initial investment. At this point, I'm sure you have Rare trying to start up a ton of products that might appeal to the existing audience but instead they get forced to spend a ton of time being MS' version of Nintendo once again. Making xbox live avatars that are just Mii knockoffs, creating kinect sports 1,2 and just generally doing nothing their previous fan base might have liked. It's now been so long that , outside of Killer Instinct I doubt ANY of Rares previous IP's have any staying power. But , thanks to kinect sales + crappy casual motion games I think MS may have finally broken even on that investment.

iMerc

Yeah, I can't wait for this game to come out. A few other Rare guys are developing it with him.

and it's primarily back on a nintendo system, to boot. lol.

MS primarily bought rare to appeal to similar demographics that nintendo targets.
So when these rare-developed family friendly games bombed on the xbox, it's a result of microsoft's inability to make their consoles suitable for the 'family friendly' market.

when you look at the sales of fps games on nintendo consoles post-n64, you can clearly see that the market for this genre is nowhere near as popular as it is on xbox & playstation.
mulit-platform fps games selling better on non-nintendo hardware is more a failure on Nintendo's part, than it is 3rd parties.

same thing applies here. Rare's primary demographic not matching up with people who buy xbox is Microsoft's problem, not Rare's.

I agree, hopefully Phil can see potential in another Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini or Conker game.

Phil said he was a fan of Battletoads, I think Rare's catalogue of games has to be handled carefully, I can't see many of them being successful retail titles at the moment. Can see them going back to Banjo certainly but digital marketplace is where I can see that game performing better.

On the other hand, I don't see Perfect Dark coming back for a looong time.

But Phil Spencer said they're not forcing Rare to make Kinect games.

The thing that annoyed me about that was when he said they can just leave if they were unhappy, but realistically those types of decisions are life-changing. How many people would really make that kind of move back then, especially if Microsoft fed them hope for a great future?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This video needs to be posted in every Rare thread. At least until Nintendo buy them back. Which is happening. TBA 20XX.

On the other hand people keep buying Kinect Sports games and thus must be put on the path of nothing but Kinect Sports until time ends. Busniess wise making RARE the Kinect house was the right move, I think that gets lost in the mix.

NEO0MJ

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/4721764/the-unlikely-legend-of-rusty-pup-footage-revealed

This Game is being made by an Ex Rare Employee Chris Seavor

I wish Microsoft would let Rare make a Game that they want to make. Stay out of the way and when the game is finished Microsoft can do the marketing.

Looks interesting, hope it does well. And they should consider releasing it on PC.

"Wait, we own Donkey Kong now...right?"

Sad thing is, they really did think that.

Hubble

Terrible. To get the best out of the company, you should give it it's freedom and allow it to do whatever it wants. I actually loved Kameo and really wished they made a part 2. Even today, I feel Kameo is a fantastic platformer that in a missing genre. Once you take away Rare' s freedom, it's personality and charm into its games is lost.

Green Yoshi

You can say about Nintendo whatever you want, but at least they let Rare produce such games like Conkers Bad Fur Day, GoldenEye 007, Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark, that didn't fit to Nintendos family-friendly image.

Kinect games are not hard to make. Microsoft could have easily found a new studio for these games instead of destroying Rare.

Top Bottom