• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Gvaz

Banned
Darknessbear said:
Yea exactly. I could sort of understand heavily discussing the story pre-Mass Effect 2, due to a majority of people not knowing Mass Effect is a trilogy and to get those that enjoyed ME1 coming back. But at this point in time, I'm sure the only people following ME3 are those that complete ME2 (and maybe ME1) and know where the story is headed. No need to constantly explain each element that will make up the story experience - we can do that for ourselves.

Yeah, it's your own fault if you read book 3 without reading book 1.

Darknessbear said:
I'm sure the only people following ME3 are those that complete ME2 (and maybe ME1) and know where the story is headed.

Indeed, so if anything, that suggests their marketing is in fact going the right direction --> People who didn't play ME2, who were perhaps put off by claims that it had no real story or who simply aren't familiar with the universe. Hence all the 'Mass Effect 3 is the perfect time to start the Mass Effect experience!' marketing mouth-jizz.

Sure, for us die-hards, we're already there. But they're always looking to hook new players, and if they can do that by also addressing concerns players of previous games had, then they're onto a PR winner.

Mister_Bubbles said:
Indeed, so if anything, that suggests their marketing is in fact going the right direction --> People who didn't play ME2, who were perhaps put off by claims that it had no real story or who simply aren't familiar with the universe. Hence all the 'Mass Effect 3 is the perfect time to start the Mass Effect experience!' marketing mouth-jizz.

Sure, for us die-hards, we're already there. But they're always looking to hook new players, and if they can do that by also addressing concerns players of previous games had, then they're onto a PR winner.
True. It's too bad they think that way though... I wonder if EA's hand forces them to think more casual friendly.

Darknessbear said:
True. It's too bad they think that way though... I wonder if EA's hand forces them to think more casual friendly.

I believe it was Nirolak who proved that Bioware was heading down the ME2 and DA2 path before EA bought them. As much as I'd like to believe it was EA it seems like they were a lost cause to begin with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ickman3400 said:
I believe it was Nirolak who proved that Bioware was heading down the ME2 and DA2 path before EA bought them. As much as I'd like to believe it was EA it seems like they were a lost cause to begin with.
Yeah this is a statement from before they were bought.

IGN said:
IGN: Do you think attitudes are changing about RPGs? It's like Blue Dragon, which is a very traditional Japanese RPG but it's pretty much been panned in the West.

Greg Zeschuk: People's tastes are changing now. For example, we're currently having a debate in the office about whether San Andreas is an RPG - which is a fun discussion. I think that it's actually similar to Mass Effect but we're coming at the same core experience from very different directions.

IGN: What do you think about GTA IV, from what you've seen or heard?

Greg Zeschuk: I saw one trailer and the character was interacting in a way that looks quite a lot like Mass Effect. Rockstar is trying to create and action game, whereas as we are creating an action RPG. Somewhere in the middle is the holy grail and I think that all developers are trying to find it.
Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820402p2.html

Also in one of the Casey Hudson interviews on the last page, he about the very first lunch where Ray, Greg, and Casey discussed the direction of the series, and says that they decided to aim for a much more accessible RPG with shooter combat, and this was right after KotOR finished development.

Gvaz said:
Blue Dragon was panned? Blue Dragon owns.

edit: GTA is not an rpg.

Heh I could probably make a case that it was just as much of a rpg as ME2, if not more. That game had a lot of stats to raise which affected how well you could do certain things like drive a bike, swim, run etc.

ME didn't have anything like that, just a couple powers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
and Mass Effect wins the "worst magazine covers of the past five years" award.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rez said:
and Mass Effect wins the "worst magazine covers of the past five years" award.

Yeah, I would like to know who thinks its a good idea to just paste a massive scowl-faced image of default Shep on every cover. The GI cover is dreadful.

Top Bottom