• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morning or evening workouts/exercise?

HvySky

I do an hour plus or so of cardio every day after work, which is usually around 1pm - 2pm. I don't really enjoy working out or exercising the way a lot of people do, but I like jogging / running.

vewn

I prefer outdoor sports in the evening and indoor workouts in the morning (there's nothing better than working out at 6am in an almost empty gym) and then heading to work.

Amory

I really need to start getting up early enough to do morning workouts, as I hate going after a long workday.

I'm terrible with waking up early though.

Google

I run 3-4 times a week. I find I'm at my best a few hours after a good breakfast but before lunch. Typically around between 11-1.

Lunchtime runs are awesome because I feel that I'm better than everyone I work with.

Kwhit10

I used to do early mornings before work and thought it was better than after work. But with kids and having to help in the morning I go at home I know go during my lunch hour to a gym close to work. Much more efficient use of my time.

Falchion

I workout during my lunch break at work and if not then, I do it after dinner around 8 or 9 pm once I've eaten and have some energy in my system.

You must be ripped.

Its my preferred aesthetic. Cardio in the morning, lift heavy in the evening. I can understand its hard for others with a limited time restraint. But if I had to choose only one, I think working out in the morning to give yourself a burst of energy is better, just my opinion though.

gatling

Cardio/bodyweight in the mornings for sure. Lift routines are done after lunch hours on those days because it makes me ravenous and I'm less likely to overeat if all I have left is a good dinner.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe in exercise – not gonna waste my finite energy on it. Never made any sense to me. You guys are going to die young with all this exercising.

Evening. I used to do mornings, but I prefer showering in the evening, and I'm not gonna shower twice.

Dreavus

Honestly if I could swing a workout in the morning before work I'd love to try that; get it out of the way for the day. I just don't have enough time. I'd have to get up at like... 4:00 or something like that. Not impossible but it'd be a big shift. I have a pretty bad commute right now and get home kinda late most days.

As for going after work, see if you can bring your gym bag with you to work and go directly there on your way home. No excuses that way. I lug my gym bag onto the bus to and from work.

I had a coworker mention this to me one time and it's upped my consistency by a huge amount. Bringing my stuff makes it easy to go in and just start the routine. In the rare instance where I forget to bring my stuff to work, the chances of me going after dinner drop considerably. Gotta set yourself up for success!

Morning workouts for me Monday through Saturday.

Wow 6 days and one day of rest? Curious as to what your workout routine is. I go Monday wendsday and Friday and am usually exhausted lol. I want to add an extra day, but just not enough rest between workouts for me.

DonShula

Right after work, so 5-6pmish. Early enough that it gets me tired for the evening.

I am not a morning person and my body just isn't conditioned to get up and work out early. The earliest I regularly go on weekends is 9a.

timshundo

I've always worked out at night. Quiet, empty gym. The shitty part is it fucks with your sleep and you can't eat after you workout because that'll fuck with your sleep more. I could probably have gotten away with it when I was like 20 but not at 28. Sleep is so precious now.

I went to the gym in the morning today for the first time and I hate how much I liked it. Now I just have to see if I can wake up at 7am every morning. I hate mornings.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I do early evenings, typically. If I go to the gym during the week I try to go right after work. If I am running, which I usually only do during the summer, I'll wait till a bit in the evening when it'll be a bit cooler out.

My gym isn't open in the mornings before I would need to get to work... maybe I'll try a morning run this summer.

SoundLad

I alternate between working out before and after work, depending on whether I'm doing an early or late shift.

Both are fine but I find that morning workouts take more willpower to muster through. After work I'm always looking forward to it and tend to perform better since my body has already been awake for a long time (I work in IT in case that makes a difference).

jmood88

My main workouts are in the morning. I'm not a huge fan of working out at night but now that I'm doing two-a-days, I'm sucking it up and going. Morning is definitely best for me, though. I like having the workout over with and not go through the day waiting to go to the gym.

Darkman M

Use to do all of my workouts in the evening as of late I've been going during the day on a empty stomach and have had some great workouts.

Finding it tough to go after work, I have started going to the gym and/or going for a bike ride in the mornings. I do get tired, but I feel that I would prefer to workout in the morning, as I feel too mentally drained in the evenings to even show up at the gym.

How about you? Do you guys do morning, noontime (wish my workplace provided a gym!), or evenings?

Edit: I also take a pre-workout supplement and find that I'll stay up unit at least midnight if I end up taking it anytime past 5pm. So I guess this is somewhat self-inflicted.

I do both. Most times it's 3 days a week at night after work (about 8-10) then the other 2 days in the morning since I'm off of work. (8-10). I enjoy doing my workouts at night, helps me fall asleep quickly after a good workout. Be careful taking pre workout. I used to take C4 but it shot my anxiety levels way up that I ended up at the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack lol. Then again I'm sensitive to caffeine and energy drinks. I'm on this caffeine free pre workout at the moment and I'm feeling good so far but be careful.

It depends, sometimes I like to do it in the morning. It helps me wake up and have more energy for work. However, I like to do it when I get off from work because I'm exhausted most of the time and it helps me stay awake.

Respect

I sometimes workout in the morning if I have evening plans, but it is always a struggle for me when I do. I feel much stronger and more energized if I workout in the afternoon/evening.

Top Bottom