• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 Pre-Order Beta | Impressions? Questions? Johnny Caged?

How are you liking the beta?

• I like the changes!

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don't like the changes!

• I'm here for the gore. Joe Lieberman, eat your heart out!

• Total voters

DryvBy

higUbKZ.jpg

The beta for the newest Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat..1..., Is out of you preordered the game with Towers mode and online matchmaking in Versus as the way to play.

Selectable Kharacters:
Sub-Zero
Kenshin
Kitana
Lou Kang (alive edition)
Li Mei
Johnny Cage

Selectable Partners:
Frost
Kano
Sonya Blade
Jax

There's 18 extra characters shadowed out for the main game and 12 partners shadowed. I'm sure some of this is known.

I'm leaving this place blank for when I play some more. This will be my impressions.

Don't like it?

HSZ7mPG.jpg

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Played on PS5,I played towers a bit with Sub Zero and Li Mei,as a first impression the game felt a bit slow compared to the trailers.Trailers made it seem it was faster than MK11 but it feels kinda samey.Only had like 3 tower runs so i can't judge it properly for now.Music felt a bit muted but i liked what I heard,stages and characters are gorgeous and look better than they ever have.

Edit:Sub's Fatality sucks... It's boring and not that crazy which was really dissapointing for me,used it twice and never again.Hope his other one/s will be better.

Last edited:
Its going to handily out sell sf6 and tekken 8
It’s one of those games that sells on name recognition regardless of quality; like Pokémon or COD, so casually that may be relevant. Usually video game enthusiasts (specifically fighting game players) are interested in how fun the game is competitively, and I don’t see many people excited for this competitively, with many saying it seems too similar to MK11. Hard to be excited for a game that’s more or less the same as the last thing players have been competing in for the last several years.

NRS have consistently outdone their previous games in Mortal Kombat series. Competitive longevity is poor because of virtually non existent support from the publisher.
I wasn’t necessarily saying the newer games weren’t good, but MK was still selling well during the the crappy 3D (PS2/Xbox/GC) era. The games will sell well regardless off of brand name alone.

Personally I became a fan of the Netherrealm games with MK9. It had a great roster, and it was fast and fun to play.

Injustice was interesting, but the game balance was kinda fucked, and trying to go back to it nowadays it’s very slow and clunky. I gave them the benefit of the doubt since it was their first fighter that didn’t have a block button.

MKX was fun as hell. A lot of characters had bullshit (I always main Sub-Zero, and Grandmaster Sub is probably my favorite version of the character in any of the games), but it felt interesting because it was all about finding every characters OP game plan. I liked the run mechanic too. The game was fast, but the “new gen” roster was kinda meh compared to MK9, so I didn’t have as many characters I liked to play.

Injustice 2 is more or less a straight up improvement of INJ1. But it’s also where NRS significantly upgraded their character models/art style and animations. It’s a nice looking game, faster and less clunky than 1, and better balanced (I think, could be wrong).

MK11 had a better roster than X, but they toned down a lot of the stuff characters could do and slowed the game down. I appreciate it tried new things but it’s not as fun and frenetic as X or MK9 even.

MK1 kinda just looks like 11, but with assists. Also it’s seems kinda lame that they’re only assists. Making a tag team game would’ve been more interesting, especially since I’ve been missing tag team mode since MK9.

,as a first impression the game felt a bit slow compared to the trailers.Trailers made it seem it was faster than MK11 but it feels kinda samey.
That's too bad, that was my biggest gripe with MK11 (and even MKX somewhat), I was hoping they'd go back to the MK9 speed with this one.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Game is a lot slower than I expected for some reason. The beta is fun, though. There’s not as much “intuitive combo creation” as I was hoping, but that also might be because I just need to get more used to the move sets.

Either way, it’s still really cool. I dig it.

Top Bottom