• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter - The Time is Right

Fitts

The nineties were a long time ago, fam.

But no. The two franchises couldn't be more different at this point and you'd never be able to find a middle ground that pleases both SF and MK fans.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Receipt sir, please.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/303/G030342/20151110074/

Pachi: If I had to create a non-Anime game, I would personally want to make Mortal Kombat. Street Fighter's design is already unshakeable, it seems like you can't freely create. Mortal Kombat seems like it would be more interesting.

4Gamer: Oooh! Wouldn't that be great?

MM1: However if Arc System Works made a game, wouldn't it naturally turn into an Arc-ish anime game? In the past I was involved with "Hard Core Uprising", and before I knew it there was mid-air dash and double jumps. "Wait a minute, isn't this just Contra?" (laughs).

* Hard Core Uprising: Konami's spiritual successor to the Contra series. It was developed by Arc System Works.

Pachi: That was probably the case (laughs). However, Skullgirls is a fighting game developed overseas with Japan in mind. Couldn't Japan also create a fighting game with overseas players in mind? It can be totally non-canon, please give us an offer to create "Mortal Kombat, the Animation."

4Gamer: It feels like that would turn into a "Ninja Slayer" type of game.

Pachi: That seems entirely possible (laughs).

Mugy

Just imagine Marvel and DC doing a crossover .vs series.

Marvel .vs DC (made by Capcom/8ing)
DC .vs Marvel (made by Netherrealm Studios/WB Games)

MrCarter

Not this again. The only way this would work is if Capcom handle the gameplay and animation and NRS handle the offline content, possibly even the story mode. I enjoyed SFV story far more than MKX so maybe they could come together for something decent at least.

Garlador

Not this again. The only way this would work is if Capcom handle the gameplay and animation and NRS handle the offline content, possibly even the story mode. I enjoyed SFV story far more than MKX so maybe they could come together for something decent at least.
That's pretty much exactly how I said it should work.

Jawmuncher

Honestly it is the right time. Even if they have to make it Injustice T rated. Let netherealm make the game so it makes the most amount of profit for capcom

Neetherealm makes it it'll sell a shit ton. If capcom makes it and fucks it up, it'll sell like SFV.

Not hating on MK but there is literally no gameplay mechanic/system from MK that would make a crossover fighting game better or enhance it.

Garlador

Not hating on MK but there is literally no gameplay mechanic/system from MK that would make a crossover fighting game better or enhance it.
Presentation perhaps. Dialogue banter, intros, clashes, and I think adding meter burns to more mechanics could greatly alter the pace of combat.

It's like asking what Tekken or KoF can bring to SF's table. It's a crossover; it can bring anything because it's its own thing.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Bursts are typically a terrible mechanic but I'd argue MK and even Injustice have more sensible implementations than most. Meter use in general is pretty well-handled in NRS games, I feel.

Garlador

Then why isn't everyone playing MKX and Injustice this gen? Why are Netherrealms' fighters drawing comparably miniscule numbers of spectators and competitive players?

Because the vast, vast majority of players who play fighting games aren't competitive and don't care about esports.

So everyone is playing MKX and Injustice, just not online or at tournaments. They're players like me. I haven't even gone online in Injustice 2 yet once, yet I've sunk dozens of hours into the Multiverse.

Magnus

It's crazy how so many replies here show that people didn't read the OP. OP addresses so many of the complaints.

dickroach

I love the idea, but the styles clash too hard.
I think MK has moved so far away from any type of cartoon-y at this point that any way back down that path wouldn't go over well

Garlador

I love the idea, but the styles clash too hard.
I think MK has moved so far away from any type of cartoon-y at this point that any way back down that path wouldn't go over well

I'll disagree, simply because MK has always been adaptable. I mean, there's even an MKX comic that would fit the MvC3 aesthetic quite nicely.

Bulbasaur

Banned
If Capcom made it I could see it being great. It's not like anyone one would miss the MK combos which change every iteration anyway. Just nail the likenesses and the signature moves. And If fatalities were the only major concession for this crossover to happen, I would be fine with that.

Just have the MK team make a MK vs Street fighter and then have Capcom make Street Fighter vs MK like they did with SNK and (in theory) Namco.

Would have been cooler in the 90s though when MK vs Street Fighter would have been digitized and Street Fighter vs MK would have had the art style of an alpha game

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Just have the MK team make a MK vs Street fighter and then have Capcom make Street Fighter vs MK like they did with SNK and (in theory) Namco.

We would end up in another situation where the Capcom developed version would be vastly superior to the other one. The only slight misstep they took was with SF X Tekken.

y2dvd

Capcom would be able to translate the MK characters over for fluid gameplay. NRS converting SF gameplay tho...nope.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
IDK, the quality gap between Capcom and NRS has closed significantly in the last few years

Only in different ways. The main thing Capcom has an issue with is content updates and balancing. Their character animations and tight gameplay has always been their strong suit. NRS is good with content updates and balancing, but their animations are still janky looking to this day and their gameplay has an acquired feel. Capcom has the slight edge here.

T.O.P

Banned
I'd rather have a Mortal Kombat VS Killer Instinct game

Last SF that was relevant to my interest was 3rd Strike anyway, not even gore could make me gain interest in that IP nowadays

Pompadour

The director of GGXrd literally said he wants to make a MK game.

I've always said if I had my way Mortal Kombat would be done by the ASW team. I think ASW's combat would fit MK like a glove. Plus, whatever character designs they come up for MK's cast would automatically be an improvement.

This thread is why we can't have nice thing. The OP makes a great post, very detailed and most of the responses is just dismissal. MK vs SF would be awesome and a HUGE event. Don't care what anyone says every single last one of you would buy it. Great job OP and yes make it happen.

Pompadour

The only crossover I want to see between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter is Warner Bros's money crossing over into Street Fighter's dev budget along with NRS's networking engineers crossing over into Capcom. They can keep everything else.

charsace

I've always said if I had my way Mortal Kombat would be done by the ASW team. I think ASW's combat would fit MK like a glove. Plus, whatever character designs they come up for MK's cast would automatically be an improvement.

MK designers do a great job. I don't see how ASW designs would be better.

Griss

Can the problems in merging the games be solved? Sure. OP argues that well. But the question is who would you be selling this to?

I'd buy the next Mortal Kombat game (maybe not at launch due to protesting their shitty DLC practices). But I won't buy a Mortal Kombat game that has half the roster pulled from a series I don't like (SF). It would just be a hard pass for me, like MK vs DC was.

I imagine Street Fighter fans probably feel much the same in reverse. So who, specifically, are you appealing to here? I feel like you're taking away value from both franchises rather than adding it.

This thread is why we can't have nice thing. The OP makes a great post, very detailed and most of the responses is just dismissal. MK vs SF would be awesome and a HUGE event. Don't care what anyone says every single last one of you would buy it. Great job OP and yes make it happen.

Agreed, and with this EastXWest Crossover, we would achieve... COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION!

joking aside, yes, awesome write up, but every character should get the uppercut as a special move.

Sephzilla

No, only because I've actually grown to really appreciate and enjoy Netherrealms style of fighters but all of the hardcore fighting fans would want it to be another Capcom fighter.

Village

No because I doubt capcom wants any fatalities happening to any of their characters let alone the whole host of other bullshit.

You can talk abut gameplay and stuff all you want , but the end of the day the brands don't fit together.

That's it.

Top Bottom