• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

Boomalla

Destiny was the most disappointing game of 2014 for me.

Driveclub is an excellent game and everything works fine now, plus it's got some decent free DLC to make up for the few technical glitches at launch.

Lettuce

Defo Destiny, first class rip of merchents!!.

Talk about hiding all your content that should of been in the main paid game behind a pay wall, I find it disgusting that a triple A developer ships a game and charges full price for such little content, incoherent story and recycles the same game mechanic over and over again to the point where it's just down right boring and predictable

Im not sure how people can draw comparisons between MCC and DC fuck ups!?. MCC still had a large portion of the game that was working fine just the MP side of things weren't up to scratch but that all seems to be more or less fixed now and they are giving away a completely free game to say sorry which is fantastic as ODST is awesome. Where as DC just down right couldnt be played in any aspect for a good while there and they STILL haven't realeased the free version to PSN users, but as MCC have done have given free DLC out to apologise

ps3ud0

Updating my answer to MCC from a technically perspective. God damn it's so broken and likely to never be 100% fixed.

Destiny is still the most disappointing actual game though that isn't broken.
Yeah was thinking the same after looking at my previous answer. MCC must be getting into BF4 ballpark of brokenness by now. I feel bad for 343i as its MGS that showed their Halo fans what they thought of them

Destiny - shessh - is an addiction thats hard to shake - still play it purely because of the community in spite of Bungies best efforts to make the game worse

ps3ud0 8)

I think MCC takes the cake because its main component didn't work very well. Ac was a little more broken so there's that. Honestly though most of these titles turned out ok. Seriously destiny is so dissapointing, but a huge chunk of my friends list is still playing. I think they just messed up on the campaign, but its a great game.

There's an immense amount of detail in the world, a large amount of encounter space, a lot of activity choices among cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes and a lot of polish in the moment-to-moment action gameplay. Add to that the fact that the game runs quite consistently across the four platforms to which it simultaneously released, despite them having significantly different architectures.
Nobody's denying that there's a lot of detail in the world and all that, but that only makes you feel more bad for the people who spent time modeling and texturing all of those objects, while the game's designers didn't even allow for those areas to need to be explored. They create such large areas, and then don't give the player to dig through it all. In the end everybody's running raids and the smaller corridor-like areas being described.

Also, console parity is not a positive.

Yeah was thinking the same after looking at my previous answer. MCC must be getting into BF4 ballpark of brokenness by now. I feel bad for 343i as its MGS that showed their Halo fans what they thought of them

Destiny - shessh - is an addiction thats hard to shake - still play it purely because of the community in spite of Bungies best efforts to make the game worse

ps3ud0 8)
The problem with comparing Halo: MCC to BF4 is that not only does BF4 have a PC version that fixes any performance issues it might have on consoles, but it worked on PC long before it was eventually fixed on consoles. BF4 was fixed shorter after release than MCC is going to be, if it ever is.

Let's see... This gets more nitpicky as the list goes on, but I think all are valid concerns.

• They significantly scaled back the PS+ edition at the last minute from what was earlier implied, from complete-ish game to large demo.
  • Botched netcode to the extent that the PS+ version is still not released to avoid putting stress on the servers.
  • Completely broken online at launch for paying customers, that has only recently become sort of reliable.
  • Failure to meet 60 fps target hinted at by team earlier.

Driveclub is weird in the sense that the customers it has primarily let down haven't actually bought the game, although they have paid for it in the form of the PS+ subscription, and as such, I think, have a right to be disappointed.
Driveclub is disappointing because there's no free demo yet, and they failed to meet a 60fps target they told you they wouldn't meet long before the game launched?

wat

Demon Ice

Banned
I'd say Destiny just because that game is such a massive disappointment due to the game itself, not bugs.

DriveClub was fixed a while back as far as I know and is an excellent racer. AC Unity, depending on who you ask, is the best AC since AC II if you ignore the bugs, and Halo MCC, when it works, is classic Halo greatness.

Destiny, working at its best, is an unfun, repetitive grind with a neutered PvP.

border

DriveClub managed to earn itself a 71 MetaCritic even before reviewers knew that the online modes would be completely screwed for a couple months. Let's not pretend it's some masterpiece that just needed some netcode tweaking.

mcc and drive club.

i dont own any of these games, just tried to play them at a friends house. online was not working, for a week or so.

i think dc takes the cake since the announced stuff and the shit we had so far are too different.

dont forget that that we still didnt get the ps+ version.
What's different?
Destiny is bad game
AC unity is broken game
Driveclub is unfinished game
Halo MCC is disappointing? um how? just because first monthit had problems with servers does not mean game is broken. game is working just like original games.
I think you mixed up DC and MCC.
DriveClub managed to earn itself a 71 MetaCritic even before reviewers knew that the online modes would be completely screwed for a couple months. Let's not pretend it's some masterpiece that just needed some netcode tweaking.
And that is why metacritic shouldn't matter.

On topic: only game I played from that list was DC, and it didn't disappoint.

Danomeon

Neo Member
Destiny, for sure. Actually think about how profoundly disappointing the final product was compared to expectations.

Bungie, legendary first person shooter developers, were creating a flagship next-generation franchise with a nearly unlimited budget being supplied by one of the biggest financial giants in the gaming industry. The game was a brand new IP with massive ambitions and even bigger advertising budgets, and was developed as a platform for growth in the future.

Then the thing launches, and everything is "off". It's a bungie game with only 4 competetive multiplayer modes and two vehicles. Its levels are all arena-type defense missions. Its final bosses are 3 reskinned minibosses. Its story is non-existent. Gun customization comes down to listlessly wandering farm zones looking for materials. Its strike bosses have no mechanics other than being bullet sponges. Its raid isn't long enough.

I remember being profoundly let down that the brand new bungie IP I had been waiting so long for had an endgame that comprised of playing the same copy-paste missions day in and day out for bounties, with the competitive multiplayer they are normally so prized for sulking in the corner.

It expects the player to repeat content more than most MMOs, but it doesn't have anywhere near the degree of content, depth, or adventure to justify that repetition. It's like all the worst parts of the MMO experience (Grinding, daily quests, repetetive missions) with all of the good parts removed (Lengthy raids, big-team social gameplay).

Even if Destiny 2 ends up righting the wrongs, I'm so dissapointed with the first one that I don't even want to buy its sequel on principle alone. I was so bummed out when I saw this was just a vehicle for DLC.

olimpia84

Destiny gets my vote. So glad I cancelled my preorder for this game; the final product turned out to be incredibly disappointing .

dralla

Destiny may be a bad game, but at least it works. MCC is the worst launch for a "game" I've ever seen and everyone should be refunded.

The amount of the water-carrying for MCC in this thread is completely bizarre, but I guess explains why the game got so many 9/10s on release.

geordiemp

Who cares about metacritic, a reviewer just has as much a valid opinion as any person on here, its just taste.

When you read some of the rubbish in reviews, such as dat next gen gameplay (cringe), or not open world, then my opinion is some just like try to be that edgy reviewer.

Many just wanted a good looking fixed circuit racer with great sense of speed and tough races, that's exactly what we got.

Also the rubbish about aggressive AI, yes the AI plays like another player and will grab the best lines and be aggressive. Maybe that's a negative to some, but for me its a positive. Races are a real fight and a challenge, I like that.

Think its shows in the variation of Driveclub opinions, from great to crap. That's OK, they are all valid opinions, but if a good many think its great then it has a fan base and is inherently a good game for many.

If metracitic was average of 71 and nobody thought it was above 75, then I would agree. But DC is polarising.

Nokterian

Destiny such a turd still can't believe i fell for that one.

But my other GOTY is Driveclub bought a steering wheel yesterday for the first time in 14 years again and it is glorious. Driveclub has been from the get go a racing game that i waited for and with the bunch of updates (and surprise updates) makes the racing phenomenal. To me Driveclub wasn't a failure at all.

Demon Ice

Banned
Driveclub is unfinished game
Halo MCC is disappointing? um how? just because first monthit had problems with servers does not mean game is broken. game is working just like original games.

Lmao, you literally got Driveclub and MCC backwards.

MCC is broken TODAY, over 2 months after launch.

The MCC still doesn't work while Driveclub does (and it's great) so the MCC for sure. Not to mention it boggles the mind how MS decided to botch their flagship franchise.

As for Unity vs Destiny, it's tougher. I enjoyed both enough, but I probably played Destiny more. Unity's glitches and bugs were certainly disappointing but I knew what I was buying into. Destiny's content was disappointing and I did expect more variety so I guess I'll with Destiny for this one.

Rockondevil

Definitely Destiny. I was expecting so much more from it.
Haven't played Driveclub and barely and Unity though.

As for MCC, I have played all of those a million times already, and while it does suck that it isn't/wasn't working for so long it wasn't like Destiny where I was hoping for something new and amazing.

As for people saying Watch Dogs. I didn't find that disappointing at all. The story wasn't amazing but the gameplay was quite enjoyable I found, something somewhat unique.

Destiny out of this list, as I wasn't as interested in DriveClub and didn't have incredible hopes for it.

That said, LittleBigPlanet 3 takes the cake for me.

Unity has issues, but I like it.

Kssio_Aug

Halo MCC by a long margin.

Then Driveclub (still no Plus version); followed by Destiny.

AC Unity worthed my 30 dollars. And when I bought the game was pretty solid bug wise, compared to what it seems was happening before. Great game besides its flaws, btw.

Jhn

I don't really want to get into another Driveclub debate, but the two I've highlighted aren't true. The PS+ was and still is the full game with reduced content (unless that has changed recently?) and the game was never anything but 30fps.

You're playing it really fast and loose with your definition of "full game" there.
Like you, I'm tired of the debate, but can you seriously look at this and still claim that the implied content included in the PS+ edition has not been scaled back dramatically since what they suggested earlier?

And no, it was never above 30, but again, they implied that it could be, and it wasn't.

Driveclub is disappointing because there's no free demo yet, and they failed to meet a 60fps target they told you they wouldn't meet long before the game launched?

Please. I'm sure someone else has made this argument to you before, but it's not free. It is one of the advertised components of a paid subscription service, and as such it should obviously be held to the same standard as other products like it. And that you use the fact that it's now a "demo" only strengthens my earlier point about how the scope of the PS+ edition changed as release drew nearer.

As a part of our paid subscription to PS+, we were promised a full game "minus a few cars and tracks". What we got (or rather, what we some day hope to get), is a large demo.

DarkOneX

I own all 3 and Destiny is pretty close as I imagined it would be bigger than it is, but probably have to give it to Halo MCC as I hoped to relive tons of Halo multiplayer greatness and it didn't deliver in that respect as it takes too long to get into a game.

SystemUser

I am a glass half full sort of guy so I take Destiny's domination of this thread as that they had the most potent and effective hype machine instead of that the game was a failure mechanically. The gameplay is solid all around. Shooting, running, double jump variants, grenades, sparrows, and supers are all fun. I mean things like having 18 different player useable grenades that each offer a different effect.

There isn't much of a story to it, but it is fun game to play with friends. Mario Kart doesn't have a story other than being set in the Mario/Nintendo IPs. Bungie build this crazy Star Wars-like universe, but didn't seem to bother to include a compelling narrative arc in the game.

NeoGAF voted Destiny the second best new IP after Shovel Knight. I recently started playing Shovel Knight on the 3DS and it does deserve to win. I would definitely buy Super Shovel Knight.

Personally I am not that disappointed in MCC. The amount of PVP was going to play and thus missed out on is pretty small. I was looking forward to campaign more than PVP. The game crashes every few hours, but it is pretty minor hassle. I just relaunch and keep going. Unity did not appeal to me so I didn't buy it. I own Black Flag and I like the pirate theme more than the French Revolution theme. I still want to complete Black Flag. I also skipped over Drive Club. It is pretty, but these days is it rare for me to buy a racing game without nitrous/boost, sweet jumps, and/or weapons . I really want Rockstar to bring back Smugglers run or put those vehicles and terrain in the next GTA.

I think I avoided major disappointment by not buying into hype.

kitch9

Banned

Driveclub is an excellent racer.

redcrayon

NeoGAF voted Destiny the second best new IP after Shovel Knight. I recently started playing Shovel Knight on the 3DS and it does deserve to win. I would definitely buy Super Shovel Knight.
Shovel Knight winning best new IP was interesting considering the vast disparity in budget. Shovel Knight's gentle humour felt really quite refreshing despite it's gameplay being a homage to a band of 25-year-old greats. Ultimately I find Destiny far more forgettable despite the gunplay being sublime, I think it's just that the whole MMO shootout thing has been done to death already, it feels competently made yet tired even at the start of a console generation.

border

. Ultimately I find Destiny far more forgettable despite the gunplay being sublime, I think it's just that the whole MMO shootout thing has been done to death already, it feels competently made yet tired even at the start of a console generation.

If Destiny's premise were really that tired, it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is. Nobody is really doing what Destiny does, and that's why it gets away with all of its shortcomings. They are serving an under-served audience, and consequently they are more forgiving of all its problems.

I think it is similar to how Titan Quest and Torchlight flourished in the absence of a proper modern Diablo game. Blizzard eventually dropped the bomb with Diablo 3, and now you almost never hear anyone talking up Titan Quest or Torchlight.

You do know Citizen Kane was slated by the mainstream press at release? Just saying.

You're playing it really fast and loose with your definition of "full game" there.
Like you, I'm tired of the debate, but can you seriously look at this and still claim that the implied content included in the PS+ edition has not been scaled back dramatically since what they suggested earlier?

And no, it was never above 30, but again, they implied that it could be, and it wasn't.

Please. I'm sure someone else has made this argument to you before, but it's not free. It is one of the advertised components of a paid subscription service, and as such it should obviously be held to the same standard as other products like it. And that you use the fact that it's now a "demo" only strengthens my earlier point about how the scope of the PS+ edition changed as release drew nearer.

As a part of our paid subscription to PS+, we were promised a full game "minus a few cars and tracks". What we got (or rather, what we some day hope to get), is a large demo.
They never explicitly said all tracks will be in the PS+ version. What they said for sure will be in was
...the online multiplayer, the asynchronous challenges and the single player campaign will all be present in the PS Plus version.
As for 60fps, they only said they were targeting it. They never promised it.

Ominym

Banned
It's been a toss up for me for quite some time, but personally I think it's Destiny. The Master Chief Collection for as much as it's fucked up still contains a game I like. When it eventually gets fixed (I'm assuming it will) it will be a fantastic game to own. Destiny? No matter what you do to Destiny it will still continue to be a broken game. There simply isn't something Bungie could do short of making another game that will fix Destiny. And because of that it conceptually will continue to be disappointing long after The MCC works.

Novocaine

Out of those 4 for me it's Destiny by far. $500,000,000 for that? I mean it looks good but there is barely half a game there.

Driveclub is fully functional now and a really fun game. I don't have an XBO so I can't comment on MCC and AC doesn't interest me.

Though I'd like to nominate Tetris Ultimate on PS4 for being my most disappointing game of the gear. Still a month after its release and there are still intermittent freezes and outright crashes. Seriously how do you fuck up Tetris? It's fucking Tetris! That shit was nailed back on the OG Gameboy. I'm so pissed Ubi has the license for it in the west because the Sega game looks fantastic.

I didn't follow Destiny pre launch, but bought it anyways. Thought it was fun. Not great but I'm not even sure how it could be in the discussion for being a bad game. It's a lot fun, but repetitive. Also I really enjoyed Watchdogs. People invading your world is a lot of fun and the gameplay was fine. Both were good games, imo.

Top Bottom