• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most memorable videogame locations

Cyberpunkd

Let's go, thread about great levels and locations in videogames, the ones that you remember for years.

World of Warcraft - Scholomance

My life from 2005 till approx. 2015 was consumed by WoW, I skipped almost completely the PS3/X360 generation since I was busy playing the MMO. Let me set the stage:

1. Levelling in the early days of WoW was painfully slow, the quests were not optimized, you had sometimes 4-5 levels without clear questline, then everyone got funneled to a single zone e.g. Tanaris. Then you had zones that had a level imbalance between factions (Horde and Alliance) which resulted in a high level players ganking (killing) much weaker players from the opposing faction e.g. Stranglethorn Vale. So getting to level 60 took a lot of dedication.
2. The end-game zones were respectively Eastern and Western Plaguelands, the zones themselves were creepy AF and you had a real feeling you were not the hot shot there, the whole time you had to watch your back for monsters and other players. So you start exploring and you come across...

maxresdefault.jpg

A lake, and on that lake Scholomance. Mind you almost all (if not all?) of these locations (Scholomance, LBRS/UBRS, Stratholme) were in the early days 10-man dungeons, before they switched everything to 5-man. Scholomance was not only oppressive in ambiance, it was downright brutal - enemies very extremely close together, the moment you pulled/aggroed an extra pack it was a guaranteed wipe. After the wipe it was most of the time a minimum of 5-10 minutes running just to get to the dungeon entrance. Getting a group? Try 1-2 hours of spamming chat in Undercity (that was before LFG automation). Got a group? Ok, now 30 minutes to get to Scholomance. Inside already? Boy, I hope you have at least 3-4 hours, because that's how long it will take you to clear that place.

LBRS/UBRS might have been longer, and their layout was truly FML but there was something special about seeing Caer Darrow for the first time.

Despite all the above the early days of WoW were some of the best and filled with sense of incredible wonder that I think no game to this day replicated. I got fond memories of WoW/TBC/WotLK, nothing afterwards registered or came close.

Thief 3 - The Cradle

Au55HdFGMwSZLDezpjMTwV.jpg

Despite everyone agreeing Thief 1 and 2 were better games, Thief 3 gave us probably the best level in the series, and one of the best levels in all of videogames. This level was pure fear, you had to force yourself to continue despite your brain telling you to be a b**** and go play some Pokemon. The insane asylum turned orphanage you have to break into ; the sad and moving story of what had happened there years before - I can write a lot more, but instead I invite you all to read this incredible article detailing what was so special, from the time when games journalism could produce quality content: http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf

"I'm used to the dark, but this feels like a house with bad dreams."

Then go see the playthrough:

Waiting for your picks, happy to discover more incredible locations!

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Going for WoW again. You'll never forget the first time you walk into Stormwind or Orgrimmar.

That said OP, I fucking love Scholo and it's so underrated in the conversation about classic dungeons, probably because so many people never actually got through it back in the day.

3428466460_c27b5197c8_b.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hyrule Field
Peach’s Castle
Spiral Mountain
World 1-1

Lot’s from From’s games.

The snowy peaks of Skyrim.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - First Level. Iconic Nazi Burg.
maxresdefault.jpg

Ryse - Level 4. You can almost smell the fresh water and the fern.

DonJorginho

Banned
I remember many a nights gaming till late into the morning playing with mates doing sniper quick scoping private matches in this glorious map.

nYlMpZt.jpg

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Progenitor from Prodeus is a more recent example for me in terms of memorable locations in gaming. It's like some kind of ancient sci-fi underground cave filled with sand that will gradually disappear the deeper you get, showing the true layout of the cave by the end.

In terms of classics it sure is the Delta Labs from Doom 3. The way the game builds up to this point together with the lore you gather through PDA's makes it really intimidating. Just a very dark and sinister place. I played through the game countless times but i'm always excited when i reach this place.

Another one is The Hive from Valfaris. I just love the look of it. The game in general has many memorable locations so it's hard to pick a favorite.

kyussman

So many great ones,some of my favorites.....Batman Arkham City - loved gliding over the enviroments and having puzzles placed all over made it lots of fun to explore.
Bloodborne - so much atmosphere.
Dishonored - all the games enviroments were a joy to be in,the watercolour art style was fantastic.
Death Stranding - a giant empty open world,but some of the most compelling gameplay mechanics I've encountered....made the games enviroments an actual part of the game and not just scenery.

Top Bottom