• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Practical Female Armor in RPGs?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Came in here expecting the exact opposite of what the TC was asking for, and I was not disappointed.

Here's my contribution to the thread:

2136920-syrenne.png

Shit this reminds me that i need to finish The Last Story.
Was worth the wait so far, i hope it gets even better.

On Topic
Seth from Lost Odyssey.
vsnXh.jpg

CorvoSol

20100215034856!Power_Suit_concept_art.jpg

:p

EDIT: Whoops, not an RPG, but still...

Samus was in SMRPG, so maybe kinda counts?

1209301803_f.jpg

Nadia from Golden Sun.

Wears just chest light armor, as almost everyone in the game. I think it's OK. I may be mistaken.

Just in case you don't remember, this is how the other main characters looked.

In Mia's defense, she was a priestess. She probably never expected to be swept off on an adventure. Did not know Jenna was called Nadia in elseplaces, though.

Tactics Ogre (PSP) seems loaded with them, but I've always loved the look of the female Terror Knight, sans heels I guess.

Terror_Knight.png

At least the boots look like they could be used as a weapon more-so than just the usual female decor.

Plus, scary.

Mephala

On Topic
Seth from Lost Odyssey.
vsnXh.jpg

Yep.
  • Stay light and quick.
  • Less likely to sink in water (she is a pirate)
  • Arms and shoulders for punching and ramming.
  • Caps for kneeing people.
  • Torso exposed because protection is unnecessary when you're immortal.

I also want to mention Shanoa.
r3drL.jpg

She needs her back and shoulders exposed since those are the spots for her Glyphs, otherwise a pretty solid light armor. Not overly cumbersome but neither and still offers protection to the right areas.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People already posted the FFT female knights, so looks like no need to post.

FYI Lenneth of Valkyrie Profile still is armored for most part. She's a goddess too, I bet her skirt is metal.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Maybe armor should cover your vital organs and not your arms and legs.

Yep.
  • Stay light and quick.
  • Less likely to sink in water (she is a pirate)

I like your style Mephala, favorite Junior right now.

Akainu

Yep.
  • Stay light and quick.
    [*]Less likely to sink in water (she is a pirate)
You know a lot of pirates couldn't swim.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm certain the point of this thread was about actual practical armor and not the overly fictional terms the characters deal with, because if it was that, there wouldn't be much of a thread.
Or at least, the point of this thread would be irrelevant.

non sexy = Practical? Lol.
I mean i hate g-string armors as much as the next guy, but for an armor to be also practical it takes more than that, for example how in the fuck is the Onion Knight armor (from Dark Souls) practical? Stuff like that in history i'd bet was mostly for rich people and just for show, not stuff you'd wear in the middle of a battle.
Still it's a cool design don't get me wrong, but that also applies to many other stuff, even ones that can be considered sexy (and unpractical).

Same goes for those full armors with a thousand capes on them, wtf? Try swinging around a 30kg steel weapon in the mud, with that shit on and a limited view due to your helmet.

Animu combat logic. 20kg of heavy armour is too much because you can't wear that and still be expected to swing around a ridiculous 30kg sword.

Mephala

With all that weight on her arms I'd say that she is pretty likely to sink.

I agree completely, especially if she tries to keep that sword. I was thinking about it in the more "practical" sense though. Kind of like weight vs additional usefulness of the gauntlets.
Stripping out of the gauntlets would be easier than climbing out of an entire suit if she fell overboard. I doubt it matters too much in her case, she can just get naked at the bottom of the ocean and float back up. Even if she doesn't know how to swim, at some point she will learn it since she can't exactly drown/die.

Not an RPG but ...

iEpBEMsS7Fdm8.jpg

OH CONTROVERSIAL!

Neither an RPG or female... But i'll take a shot.

Most obvious is the overly reflective visor. It gives away your position immediately through reflectiveness and the contrast to the rest of the armor provides an easy to aim at target. The small protrusions behind the neck can deflect bullets up into the head.

Granted much of this can be forgiven because it relies upon energy shields for its primary protection.

The biggest one is that it requires severe body modification from childhood to withstand its power control problems (because AFAIK for whatever reason it anticipates movement and builds up inertia instead of just assisting movement) and for the same costs you could build a couple frigates which could have been more useful given that the UNSC was already winning on the ground.

Also where do they keep all that stuff? Shouldn't there be some kind of webbing? Yes I know magnets but where do they keep all the spare mags and equipment given they are supposed to be doing long range deep cover sort of stuff?

Sethos

Banned

Most obvious is the overly reflective visor. It gives away your position immediately through reflectiveness and the contrast to the rest of the armor provides an easy to aim at target. The small protrusions behind the neck can deflect bullets up into the head.

Granted much of this can be forgiven because it relies upon energy shields for its primary protection.

The biggest one is that it requires severe body modification from childhood to withstand its power control problems (because AFAIK for whatever reason it anticipates movement and builds up inertia instead of just assisting movement) and for the same costs you could build a couple frigates which could have been more useful given that the UNSC was already winning on the ground.

Also where do they keep all that stuff? Shouldn't there be some kind of webbing? Yes I know magnets but where do they keep all the spare mags and equipment given they are supposed to be doing long range deep cover sort of stuff?

Christ you people care way too much about this, it was a joke on MC being a woman, ladi da.

It seems like in most RPGs that have men and women in armour, a lot of men are wearing just as stupid of stuff.

Yes, but the difference is that women also flash their ass and boobs most of the time, while i dont see many men walking around floppin their dicks around.

2San

Christ you people care way too much about this, it was a joke on MC being a woman, ladi da.
I thought it was Nicole. :x

Gold visor is meant for solar protection in outer space. It's the same stuff astronauts use. Not to mention they can put that stuff off(at least those ODST guys could).

RedSwirl

Yes, but the difference is that women also flash their ass and boobs most of the time, while i dont see many men walking around floppin their dicks around.

The male equivalent to sexualized fantasy clothing is probably the 80's Conan movies or all those Fabio fantasy book covers.

Other practicality / rpg stuff aside, IIRC in the books it mentions that all the Mjolnir armour is identical and when suited up you can't tell one spartan from another (well the spartans themselves can, but outsiders can't). I think in one of the animated movies as well they go through a whole mission and remove the spartans helmet at the end to find she is (unexpectedly) a woman.

The male equivalent to sexualized fantasy clothing is probably the 80's Conan movies or all those Fabio fantasy book covers.

And any dude in Soul Calibur who has armored leggings and crotch spikes and other shit, but walk around shirtless and oiled like a model (i.e., Kilik, Maxim, ZWEI, Cervantes in V, etc)

Sooo, just like real life then?

The better comparison is dudes showing off their arms, and abbs, which is exactly what they do in video games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
WoW may have some bikini armors, but they also have some practical ones too, like my current paladin set. :p

qqZu1.png

P90

What if the skimpy armour is practical given the context of the setting? E.g. Climate, material technologies, cultural values.

InterEsting points, but I think the given role the character plays, i.e. mage, thief, archer would be an even greater contextual need. A thief with full plate armor is a worse battle scenario than a swordswoman in a bikini. True swordsmanship relies on skill, strength, etc., and only as a last resort, armor. thievery needs stealth And agility. You can't have any of that in heavy, creaky metal armor.

Aveline's armor would be an example of functional and practical armor for "in the thick of the fray" style sword fighting. If one is looking for "realism". I prefer less "realism". I'll take the defensive disadvantage and put Yukari and Mitsuru in Santa costumes with Aigis in a school uniform.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Chris from Suikoden 3 was the first thing that came to mind.
Me too! Along with Agrias.
Junon from Dragon Force wasn't really the definition of practical, but it was still awesome without being stupid video game female armor.
Yes indeed. "Fall to your knees!" <3

My picks (that haven't been named yet):

Alys Brangwin
7oZ1puX.jpg

Demi (she's an android, but still)
bigdemi2.jpg

Mae
AraD2Qk.jpg

Sonya (Suikoden)
Sonyaschulen06.gif

Lorelai (Suikoden)
Legac.jpg

Queen (Suikoden III):
269px-Queen01.jpg

And one of my favourites in term of styles, Lady Harken:
xQPpSQy.jpg

You could argue some of those are outfits instead of armours, but they're still practical-looking battle outfits, just of the lighter sorts, and they're not stupid and scant, so I like them.

edit: just realized this is kinda thready necromancy haha. Oh well I like these threads.

Mael

For reference this is an illustration of an armor Joan of Arc actually wore in battle in the Middle Ages :

More protection was indeed the way to go at the time...I mean before rifles made all this pointless.

You wouldn't believe how much images from that Luc Besson film I had to skim through.

Top Bottom