• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most visually appealing Switch games

Switch is an iddy biddy little thing yet in its first 7 months it's put out some pretty incredible looking games from both a technical and artistic stand point. Just post whatever you think looks good and maybe explain a little bit about why it stands out to you.

My first choice: ARMS
AHkRBsK.jpg

QyZz2EQ.jpg

UuGAcbD.jpg

The character models in ARMS look absolutely insane. Just look at all the details on the best girl: Lola Pop. The sugar texture on her ARMS looks so believable and to top it off the game features an array of some of the best character designs Nintendo has ever made. The stages themselves all look great too but the characters really steal the show in ARMS. They're so detailed, expressive and animated. It's an astonishing game to look at.

My second vote goes to something a little more low key in the way of Octopath Traveler:
The term "HD 2D" may make you roll your eyes but Octopath truly pulls off a distinct style all its own. I'd like to see a few effects toned down for the final release but artistically this game looks fascinating. I cannot wait to see and play more.

-shadow-

I absolutely adore the way Splatoon 2 looks, especially during Splatfests where everything has a slight glow to it and all the colours really pop.

Can't really post good shots as I'm out right now, but it looks absolutely stellar!

Ravelle

Switch is an iddy biddy little thing yet in its first 7 months it's put out some pretty incredible looking games from both a technical and artistic stand point. Just post whatever you think looks good and maybe explain a little bit about why it stands out to you.

My first choice: ARMS

The character models in ARMS look absolutely insane. Just look at all the details on the best girl: Lola Pop. The sugar texture on her ARMS looks so believable and to top it off the game features an array of some of the best character designs Nintendo has ever made. The stages themselves all look great too but the characters really steal the show in ARMS. They're so detailed, expressive and animated. It's an astonishing game to look at.

Holy shit, that sugar on those arms!

Breath of the Wild looks amazing at certain moments.

Oh and Steamworld Dig 2 looks so vibrant and sharp!

steamworld-dig-2-screenshot-7-1505959994048_1280w.jpg

steamworld-dig-2-screenshot-13-1505959994054_1280w.jpg

NotLiquid

ARMS is definitely one of the most visually lively games on the Switch. Arguably among the best Switch games visually alongside Mario Kart 8 DX, and soon enough, Super Mario Odyssey.

Geometry-wise, Mario + Rabbids is a looker. Sonic Mania looks fantastic when in portable mode.

Mark1

Zelda needs a special mention. The game which made the Switch popular deserves a post for how gorgeous it looks, especially in portable mode.

71-HLgrCoZL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

zelda-redux.jpg

ARMS in terms of design, performance, and IQ. Is likely Nintendo’s best looking game no even if you don’t like it as an actual game.

Sonic Mania and Steam World Dig look great on both handheld and console.

Mario Kart 8 is still one of Nintendo’s best especially with the resolution bump.

Rabbids looks great too. Great character models and animations.

No mention of FAST rmx by Shin'en? Dat 1080p 60fps goodness all while looking among the best in raw graphics. And this is just a buffed Wii U port! Imagine what Shin'en will accomplish once they get into the heart of Switch's core like they did with FAST Racing Neo on Wii U!

No mention of FAST rmx by Shin'en? Dat 1080p 60fps goodness all while looking among the best in raw graphics. And this is just a buffed Wii U port! Imagine what Shin'en will accomplish once they get into the heart of Switch's core like they did with FAST Racing Neo on Wii U!

MemoryHumanity had the same idea ;) Shin'en never fail to deliver. Can't wait to see what they make from the ground up for Switch.

ryushe

Maybe not the right answer but I've recently been playing MK8D again on my lunch breaks with a couple of my co-workers and I'm floored every single time by how good it looks in handheld mode.

ARMS might be the right answer though and I don't even care for that game too much.

Piers

lol482c5.gif

Snipperclips

Simple aesthetic but the animations make it. It's hilarious to play/watch.

I kept assuming that was made in-house by Nintendo going by the aesthetics, gameplay and other things.
Still unsure on Octopath's visual style. All I'm largely seeing is an up-res PS1/Nintendo DS JRPG with bump mapping and fancy lighting imo. Pixel-art looses its virtue when used as texturing in a 3D space.

My picks are Zelda, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2. I also love the look of Golf Story, which looks surprisingly awesome on my 4k TV.

Playing kingdom battle lately there's a lot of nice areas in that game that stand out as being really pretty for what the switch can do.

I think a special mention should go to Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. When in 1vs1 fights it runs in 60fps and runs in 900p docked and 720p portable. It's kind of mind-blowing seeing that in portable footage. o_O

ryushe

I remember being quite surprised that Mario + Rabbids wasn't running native 720p in handheld mode, because the game looks phenomenal despite that.
I think a special mention should go to Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. When in 1vs1 fights it runs in 60fps and runs in 900p docked and 720p portable. It's kind of mind-blowing seeing that in portable footage. o_O
It really is... then you go to the hub world and everything comes crashing back to you.

Maybe... But the hubworld!!!! Looks like 240p, PS2 Textures (or worse) and a framerate that is between 4 and 25 fps. It's bad beyond imagination. Bandai/Namco should fix that.

I’m consistently floored by how great Mario X Rabbids looks. Such fantastic character models combined with great textures, lighting and image quality.

Snowdrop engine doing work! Hopefully there’s more exclusive Switch games developed using it. Dare I dream of ZombiU 2 in that engine!!

I love BOTW to bits and I think it has its moments when it looks absolutely stunning and it’s probably the best technical showcase with how massive the world is, but it’s probably the least consistent first party release unless you count Pokken or FEW.

No mentions on Splatoon it seems. It looks quite good, especially some of the single player stages.
It’s weird the single player hub world (the first part) looks so bad when the resolution is pretty good in the actual stages.
Nice lighting and effects throughout

Tailzo

I was just thinking about this, and I would say Arms too. I got bored of it quickly though, and just sold it for half price.

Mario & Rabbids is another looker though, very colorful and vibrant.

Of multiplatform games, I have a soft spot for Sonic Mania. 16-bit style done perfectly :)

I feel like it's a boring choice seeing that it was already the best looking WiiU title, but Mario Kart 8 still holds up tremendously, amazing for a series that always felt like it was just doing the bare minimum visually to get by on style.

(I'll be wheeling out that animal crossing pic in obligatory Christmas threads)

Though BotW, ARMs and Rabbids are solid contenders

I need to check ARMs replay mode for that snapshot potential

Oersted

Yoshi looks amazing. And it's made with UE4, not some proprietary engine, so it's safe to say we'll get equally stunning games from other developers in the future too! :D

I hope, but I doubt many will pick such a artstyle. And I love that artstyle. I remember picking up a multi-console magazine and the Yoshi pics were the only ones making me go "Holy shit".

Top Bottom