• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie GAF - April (2018) |OT| What's new and What are you watching?

NovumAngel

Banned
Background-Narrow.jpg

Welcome to Movie Gaf:

The movie threads here on NeoGAF have been missing for a little while so now I’m hoping to bring back the two most popular threads (“Movie’s You’ve Seen Recently” and “15 Movies You Should See”) into one Movie thread.

With “Movies to Watch in April” you’ll find some of the top movies hitting cinemas this month, let us know which movies you’ll be going to see!

Outside of that people are encouraged to post any and all movies they’ve watched, from the biggest blockbuster to an obscure art-house film. Please avoid making lists, include some comments about what you liked/disliked to get the conversation going.

Useful Links/Sites:

Introduce yourself:
New to the thread? Tell us a little about yourself
  • What’s your favourite movie?
  • Who’s your favourite director?
  • Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
  • Your favorite movie genre(s)?
  • Tell us some movies that you’ve been enjoying lately.
User Accounts:
In the previous threads there was a list of fellow users accounts on the above sites. As many of the users there may not be involved on NeoGAF any more, I felt it was best to start the slate clean. If anyone wants their account added here please link it below.

Movies to Watch in April:
A Quiet Place (5th in UK, 6th in USA)

Drama, Horror, Thriller
Starring: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe
A family is forced to adapt a lifestyle where they live in silence and are full of caution at every act they commit, as they try to remain hidden in sight and sound from intelligently vicious creatures that have begun to override Earth.
I Kill Giants (6th in UK)

Drama, Fantasy, Thriller
Starring: Madison Wolfe, Imogen Poots, Sydney Wade, Rory Jackson and Zoe Saldana.
Young Barbara escapes the realities of life by retreating into a fantasy world to fight evil giants. With help from a new friend and a school counselor, Barbara soon learns to face her fears and battle the giants that pose a threat to her.
Wonderstruck (6th in UK)

Drama, Family, Mystery
Starring: Oakes Fegley, Julianne Moore, Michelle Williams, and Millicent Simmonds.
The film interlaces two stories set fifty years apart, switching frequently between them. Each tells the story of a child's quest. In 1927, Rose runs away from her father's New Jersey home to find her mother/idol, the actress Lillian Mayhew. In 1977, recently orphaned Ben runs away from his Minnesota home in search of his father.
Ghost Stories (6th in UK, 20th in USA)

Drama, Horror
Starring: Andy Nyman, Martin Freeman andPaul Whitehouse.
Arch skeptic Professor Phillip Goodman embarks upon a terror-filled quest when he stumbles across a long-lost file containing details of three cases of inexplicable 'hauntings'.
You Were Never Really Here (6th in USA)

Drama, Mystery, Thriller
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Ekaterina Samsonov, Alex Manette, John Doman, and Judith Roberts.
A traumatized veteran, unafraid of violence, tracks down missing girls for a living. When a job spins out of control, Joe's nightmares overtake him as a conspiracy is uncovered leading to what may be his death trip or his awakening.
Rampage (11th in UK, 13th in USA)

Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Naomie Harris, Malin Åkerman, Joe Manganiello, Jake Lacy, Marley Shelton and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
Primatologist Davis Okoye shares an unshakable bond with George, an extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla that's been in his care since birth. When a rogue genetic experiment goes wrong, it causes George, a wolf and a reptile to grow to a monstrous size. As the mutated beasts embark on a path of destruction, Okoye teams up with a discredited genetic engineer and the military to secure an antidote and prevent a global catastrophe.
Truth or Dare (13th April)

Horror, Thriller
Starring: Lucy Hale, Tyler Posey, Violett Beane, Hayden Szeto and Landon Liboiron.
A harmless game of Truth or Dare among friends turns deadly when someone -- or something -- begins to punish those who tell a lie or refuse the dare.
Borg vs McEnroe (13th in USA)

Biography, Drama, Sport
Starring: Sverrir Gudnason, Shia LaBeouf, Stellan Skarsgård, Tuva Novotny, and Robert Emms.
Borg vs McEnroe is a multi-language biographical sports drama film focusing on the famous rivalry between famous tennis players Björn Borg and John McEnroe at the 1980 Wimbledon Championships, culminating in their encounter in the men's singles final.
Avengers: Infinity War (26th in UK, 27th in USA)

Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Don Cheadle, Tom Holland, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Josh Brolin, and Chris Pratt.
On a mission to collect all six Infinity Stones, Thanos plans to use the artifacts to inflict his twisted will on reality. The fate of the planet and existence itself has never been more uncertain as everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment.
Disobedience (27th in USA)

Drama, Romance
Starring: Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams, and Alessandro Nivola.
A woman returns to the community that shunned her for her attraction to a childhood friend. Once back, their passions reignite as they explore the boundaries of faith and sexuality.

01 April 2018
Woody Woodpecker (UK)

05 April 2018
A Quiet Place (6th in USA)

06 April 2018
Love, Simon (UK)
Death Wish (UK)
I Kill Giants (UK)
The Hurricane Heist (UK)
Thoroughbreds (UK)
Wonderstruck (UK)
Ghost Stories (20th in USA)
BPM (Beats Per Minute) (UK)
Blockers (USA)
You Were Never Really Here (USA)
Chappaquiddick (USA)
The Miracle Season (USA)
The Endless (USA)
Lean on Pete (USA)
Sweet Country (USA)
Spinning Man (USA)
Pandas (USA)

11 April 2018
Rampage (13th in USA)
Beirut (USA)

12 April 2018
You, Me and Him (UK)

13 April 2018
Truth or Dare
The Titan (UK)
10x10 (USA)
Marrowbone (USA)
Borg vs McEnroe (USA)
Submergence (USA)
Krystal (USA)
The Rider (USA)
An Ordinary Man (USA)

20 April 2018
Every Day (UK)
Wildling (13th in USA)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (UK)
The Leisure Seeker
Super Troopers 2 (USA)
I Feel Pretty (USA)

26 April 2018
Avengers: Infinity War (27th in USA)

27 April 2018
Disobedience (USA)
The Week Of (USA)
Traffik (USA)
Kings (USA)

Shouta

I caught Ready Player One last night. It wasn't bad but I don't know if I could say it was a good or great movie. The action and CG were pretty enjoyable, even great at times. However, the story was really flat, the characters were pretty poor at times, and the acting didn't help at all. It felt like there could have been a much interesting and poignant story if things had just been fleshed out a bit. It also felt like they lost some creative steam as the film got towards the end where it could have been a good spot for them to shine.

kunonabi

Anyone know if Tully has Theron's character engaging in an affair with the babysitter?

Avengers, you were never really here, ghost stories, and truth or dare are the only movies really on my radar. A Quiet Place is a maybe. I dont really care for krasinski and the bathtub scene looks painfully stupid.

God Enel

Whoa I totally loved the trailers for a quiet place, ghost stories and you were never really here look totally great.
Even I kill giants looks nice.
I Haven't seen a good horrorflick in quiet a while.

NovumAngel

Banned
I caught Ready Player One last night. It wasn't bad but I don't know if I could say it was a good or great movie. The action and CG were pretty enjoyable, even great at times. However, the story was really flat, the characters were pretty poor at times, and the acting didn't help at all. It felt like there could have been a much interesting and poignant story if things had just been fleshed out a bit. It also felt like they lost some creative steam as the film got towards the end where it could have been a good spot for them to shine.
Yeah this pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie as well, some good parts but too hampered down by the bad. I will say however that I liked the part where
they recreated part of The Shining, which was made all the better because I was with someone who had never seen the original, much like the character in the scene, so they were caught off guard by it.

Whoa I totally loved the trailers for a quiet place, ghost stories and you were never really here look totally great.
Even I kill giants looks nice.
I Haven't seen a good horrorflick in quiet a while.
I was at an advanced screening for A Quiet Place during the week and I would highly recommend seeing it, especially in a cinema with good sound.
As you would think given the premise, the use of sound in it is used so well, creating high tension throughout by not knowing when the creatures would appear given that there's no sort of build-up other than a sudden loud noise.
The daughter is played by Millicent Simmonds, who is actually deaf herself, and the movie often cuts to her point of view, including the fact that she can't hear a single thing which adds even more to the tension.

God Enel

Yeah this pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie as well, some good parts but too hampered down by the bad. I will say however that I liked the part where
they recreated part of The Shining, which was made all the better because I was with someone who had never seen the original, much like the character in the scene, so they were caught off guard by it.

I was at an advanced screening for A Quiet Place during the week and I would highly recommend seeing it, especially in a cinema with good sound.
As you would think given the premise, the use of sound in it is used so well, creating high tension throughout by not knowing when the creatures would appear given that there's no sort of build-up other than a sudden loud noise.
The daughter is played by Millicent Simmonds, who is actually deaf herself, and the movie often cuts to her point of view, including the fact that she can't hear a single thing which adds even more to the tension.

Thanks for the infos mate.
I didn't know that and I don't even know if it will be shown in cinemas in Germany. Don't know if it will get a limited release if any at all. But I think maybe it will be in some smaller cinemas. I'm like a huge horrormovie fan but seldom someone wants to watch them. So I often end up watching them alone at home.
How would you rate it on a scale from 1-10?
Edit: you going to post this ona monthly basis?

And nice OT

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I already have tickets for Avengers opening night at 10:40pm. Hopefully it’s better then Avengers 2. I saw it that late when it opened and literally fell asleep for an hour in the middle of it.

Rampage looks like it could be a stupid fun movie to see with Movie Pass. A Quiet Place looks interesting.

NovumAngel

Banned
Thanks for the infos mate.
I didn't know that and I don't even know if it will be shown in cinemas in Germany. Don't know if it will get a limited release if any at all. But I think maybe it will be in some smaller cinemas. I'm like a huge horrormovie fan but seldom someone wants to watch them. So I often end up watching them alone at home.
How would you rate it on a scale from 1-10?
Edit: you going to post this ona monthly basis?

And nice OT
Hmmm, I guess I'd probably give it around an 8 just because the core idea of it works so well.

And yeah I hope to keep these going each month, people seem to like them so far at least.

bitbydeath

Wonder Woman
This movie is said to be DC’s best, it was still awful. I know acting is hard but there was this one scene where a lady is talking to Gal in another language and Gal responds in English. I’m guessing they gave up on Gal trying to speak the language but should have left the scene off. The writing is even worse though, at the beginning when they’re fighting Nazi’s on a beach Wonder Woman appears to have no special abilities at all, a scene or two later she’s deflecting bullets like they’re nothing, are the other Amazons meant to be able to do this as well?

The ending was also awful by letting the scientist go who loves torturing people, this is a big DC issue though, good guys are only allowed to hurt nobodies.

I’m sure there were plenty of other bad scenes as well, don’t know how this got rated as well as it did.

God Enel

Wonder Woman
This movie is said to be DC’s best, it was still awful. I know acting is hard but there was this one scene where a lady is talking to Gal in another language and Gal responds in English. I’m guessing they gave up on Gal trying to speak the language but should have left the scene off. The writing is even worse though, at the beginning when they’re fighting Nazi’s on a beach Wonder Woman appears to have no special abilities at all, a scene or two later she’s deflecting bullets like they’re nothing, are the other Amazons meant to be able to do this as well?

The ending was also awful by letting the scientist go who loves torturing people, this is a big DC issue though, good guys are only allowed to hurt nobodies.

I’m sure there were plenty of other bad scenes as well, don’t know how this got rated as well as it did.

Finally someone who isn't praising it. I thought that the movie is shit too.

kunonabi

Wonder Woman

The 2nd act is decent but the rest of the movie is just a mess. Gadot cant act and there is no chemistry with pine. I kind of wish it had been a more feminist film than it was. It has a few gags and the war room scene but the rest of the film is just a really flavorless origin story that doesn't have the performances to lift it up.

Last edited:

EBE

A Quiet Place yesterday. The monster makes no sense and it breaks its own rules. I'll give the movie some 'huh, that's kinda interesting' points for being almost completely silent throughout most of it's runtime but it doesn't use sound in a particularly interesting way besides. Lazy and contrived (why leave the shotgun?)

Do not watch
Edit. I havent posted in this thread before so I guess ill introduce myself.

My name is Daniel and my current favorite movie is Gleb Panfilov's Nachalo. I'm mostly into old Soviet films nowadays due to my graduate studies.

Last edited:

NovumAngel

Banned
Completely forgot that Avengers was out this month until a friend asked me what screening we're booking tickets for.
Surprised at the lack of hype/complaining about it on here to be honest.

God Enel

A Quiet Place yesterday. The monster makes no sense and it breaks its own rules. I'll give the movie some 'huh, that's kinda interesting' points for being almost completely silent throughout most of it's runtime but it doesn't use sound in a particularly interesting way besides. Lazy and contrived (why leave the shotgun?)

Do not watch
Edit. I havent posted in this thread before so I guess ill introduce myself.

My name is Daniel and my current favorite movie is Gleb Panfilov's Nachalo. I'm mostly into old Soviet films nowadays due to my graduate studies.

Watched the movie yesterday too and agree completely. All around forgettable horrorfilm. I had the feeling that you can prepare a room that is completely sound proof in 9 months where a woman can give a proper birth to her child.
Though I did like the monster design. Would give the movie 6 of ten stars.

Bwesh

Second time posting here in gaf but I also didn't like how the monsters and protags behaved in A Quiet Place. it was a good concept but fell apart, I don't know how.

I'm from the Philippines so I'll be watching Infinity War on the 25th. so I guess I'll post in the spoiler thread when it comes up.

God Enel

Second time posting here in gaf but I also didn't like how the monsters and protags behaved in A Quiet Place. it was a good concept but fell apart, I don't know how.

I'm from the Philippines so I'll be watching Infinity War on the 25th. so I guess I'll post in the spoiler thread when it comes up.

Yeah can't wait for infinity war. They got me hyped. Even though I'm almost always let down by the marvel flicks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been watching all the Marvel movies in release order leading up to the new Avengers. Most of these movies I saw once (when they released) and haven't really revisted them since then. I'm certainly catching a lot more easter eggs and such, which is cool.

Every movie franchise has it's own sort of tone so things so far are staying pretty fresh. Some franchises (especially Thor) has a tonal shift in every movie - but I actually kind of like that. Thor Ragnarok is still my favorite overall, and I'm not even a huge fan of The Hulk.

Obviously I'm looking forward to The Avengers next week.

NovumAngel

Banned
I've seen most of the Marvel movies, notably barring the Iron Man movies, and my opinion of them various between pretty decent to kinda crap.

I think the plan at the moment is to go see this on the Thursday, if nothing else it'll still be a decent popcorn flick.

Kadayi

Banned
caught up on a few films of late

Split by M.Nght Shyamalan

Albeit he's gone off the boil somewhat as a director I thought this was a pretty decent entry in Shyamalan filmography. James McAvoy puts a top-notch performance as a man suffering from multiple personality disorder who abducts three young girls.

A taut thriller that doesn't disappoint even if some of the beats are a tad obvious in places. Worth it for McAvoy giving his all as well, as Anya Taylor- Joy going into survival mode.

Freefire by Ben Wheatley

A bit of a shaggy dog story of a gun deal in the late 70s that goes hideously wrong starring Cillian Murphy, Brie Larson, Arnie Hammer & Sharlto Copley

Entertaining enough, though I feel for the actors, who must have spent weeks just crawling around on their hands and knees in that warehouse. Not as stylistic as Wheatleys 'High Rise' but still I found myself invested in seeing how things played out.

Logan Lucky by Steven Soderbergh

I must admit I went into this Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Daniel Craig low-end heist movie not necessarily expecting much and it wasn't really until the final credits rolled that I realised it was directed by Mr Oceans Eleven himself. I'd of thought at this juncture he'd of gotten past this sort of thing, but in large part I guess he's interested in the characters more than anything else. Much like Oceans, there is a certain breeziness to whats going on, and there isn't much sense of risk but it's engaging enough as far how they go about things, even if aspects don't appear to all go according to plan.

kunonabi

Picked up moviepass so i saw:

Rampage - pretty boring and just not what I wanted out of a Rampage adaptation

Miracle Season - Hunt was somewhat miscast, and the movie felt kind of long despite not fleshing out much. Still enjoyed it though.

Black Panther - watched it a second time as part of my MCU rewatch. Still very good.

You Were Never Really Here - This is how you actually make a subversive film. Just excellent.

Top Bottom