• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I'm on a submarine movie binge!

Currently watching Crimson Tide.

Up next,

-Das Boot
-The Hunt for Red October
-U-571 (I remember Bon Jovi getting surprise decapitated 😆)

Anything else I might be missing?
I didn't google as I'd rather have your feedback.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My daughter and I drove into town yesterday and did a double feature: Godzilla Minus One and The Boy and the Heron. Both excellent!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Up next,

-Das Boot

The Abyss
The Enemy Below
K-19: The Widowmaker
Greyhound (submarines seen from the perspective of a hunted ship)
Black Sea

ReBurn

Gold Member
Someone invited me to go see The Shift. I didn't know what it was so I went. I asked my friend if he was trying to tell me something.

Laieon

I watched Past Lives last night, instantly shot up to one of my top 2 of the year, with Oppenheimer being #1.

I'm a big fan of Richard Linklater and Past Lives reminded me a lot of Before Sunrise and Boyhood.

I also watched Tampopo and it made me hungry.

Up next,

-Das Boot

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

iu

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have a bunch of movies on my list to watch over the holidays:

- The Creator
- Oppenheimer
- The Instagram Effect
- Token Tavern

And two oldies I dont think I ever watched a second time. Saw these so long ago, I dont even remember what happens:

- The Lost Boys
- The Outsiders

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am watching The Batman again, and I love how they lean into how crazy Batman is. He is trying to kill a fellow maniac with his car, and as the Penguin unloads on him with an uzi he stops and takes in just how ruthless and insane a man is who fights crime in the middle of the night dressed as a bat.

This is the only Batman movie to truly get how insane this man is.

Ovech-King

Gold Member

Up next,

-Das Boot

Dude , you have to watch Hunter Killer with Gerard Butler, it's actually really good... so good in fact I bought the 4k disc :messenger_sunglasses:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Just watched Avatar (2009) 4k disc today and this shit is crazy. It's like the movie was made for 4k before 4k even existed. Highly recommended just for the visuals

Ovech-King

Gold Member
I watched a movie called The Favourite. It’s about this queen who’s a real nutcase and there’s these two chicks trying to get with her for their own ends. The only reason I watched it was because it was made by this dude who did a movie called The Lobster. If you seen that you know how fucked up it is.
Anyways this movie is funny as shit. The queen is a real whackjob. She’s banging this super dyke and in comes this other chick who starts a rivalry with the super dyke just to get in there with the queen. The shit won oscars so you know it’s not totally lame. I recommend it because the director is doing some real original shit, but also because it’s well made and funny as fuck too.
Yorgos Lanthimos is one weird writer director. Was a bit let down by the favorite as it was just a time piece with not much fucked up about it. If you haven't checked his movie The Killing of a Sacred Deer, you should ; Barry Keoghan gives one hell of a performance as a total unsettling kid, even though you could say it's just his natural face haha

Andyliini

Starship Troopers

This was quite perplexing for me. I knew of this films reputation beforehand, and went in with open mind. Verhoeven has made so terricific films before, and I often like cult classics. This one did not work the same way. The teenage drama with predictable and paper-thin characters could not keep my attention early on, but later part worked better, with more action and so on. Strangely, I checked out some deleted scenes, and I think they would have helped me relate to characters better, now most of the better stuff was cut out.

What also surprised me, was how many of the actord I knew. Most of them come from TV series, so I did not know their names.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
ynpKLbf.jpg

I consider this a hidden gem. Very entertaining monster movie with lots of solid action set pieces. A giant sea monster with large tentacles attack a luxury cruise ship and all hell breaks loose. A gang of criminals board the ship and shoots the place up. Highly recommend 👍
Sheit man, this movie is the epitome videostore movie for me. Every time I see it I just feel like hoping into the bus and going to rent a few more movies.

Didn’t it become a hidden gem this way anyway? Meaning, it bombed at the box office but a lot of people discovered it as rental and then told their friends about it?

Mr Hyde

Didn’t it become a hidden gem this way anyway? Meaning, it bombed at the box office but a lot of people discovered it as rental and then told their friends about it?

Pretty much. That's how I found out about it, through word of mouth. I consider it even more hidden today, since it's difficult to find a DvD copy, at least here in my neck of the woods. Only thing I find are dull VHS copies.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Pretty much. That's how I found out about it, through word of mouth. I consider it even more hidden today, since it's difficult to find a DvD copy, at least here in my neck of the woods. Only thing I find are dull VHS copies.
Guess who has a DVD copy of it. :messenger_sunglasses:

Shame it never got a BluRay treatment.

flying_sq

Watched Killers of the Flower Moon last night, thought it was pretty good, slow, but I didn't think it was boring. Also a new release, The Holdovers. Huge fan, really liked it, the trailer pulled me in with the 80s vibe, not a funny movie, more of a human one.

Also watched The Bounty and The Pope of Greenwich Village.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The Color Purple

Went to an early screening today with a friend. It's not a remake of the original movie (it should have won the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Director) but a big screen venture of the musical stage play.

The music was GREAT and so many of the beats of the original movie/story (I never read the book) are familiar... I cried multiple times!

9.9/10

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
what-happened-in-leave-the-world-behind-leave-the-world-behind-ending-explained-65745bdcb60d769799946-1200.webp

this felt like an AI generated Shyamalan movie that pulled in random shit from the internet, friends, karen culture, teslas, havana syndrome, etc. including some of the worst writing I've ever seen. Absolute garbage from beginning to end, but my wife loved it 🤷‍♂️

1*-n0omP2lcGHVz3vLl1Ri8w.jpeg

Dumb money - Thought this would be really bad but it turned out to be incredibly good

holdovers-anatomy1-wlkb-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

The Holdovers - hilarious, thought provoking, heartfelt - best movie i've seen in years

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

what-happened-in-leave-the-world-behind-leave-the-world-behind-ending-explained-65745bdcb60d769799946-1200.webp

this felt like an AI generated Shyamalan movie that pulled in random shit from the internet, friends, karen culture, teslas, havana syndrome, etc. maybe some of the worst writing I've ever seen. I thought it was absolute garbage from beginning to end. wife liked it though 🤷‍♂️

1*-n0omP2lcGHVz3vLl1Ri8w.jpeg

Thought this would be really bad but it was actually really good

Just watched this last night. Really brought me back to that excitement of 2021 and I thought it did a very fair representation of everyone.

Watching Suzume now. Very good so far.

MV5BNGVkNDc3NjUtNTY5ZS00ZmE0LWE3YzctMDk2OTRlNTdiZWQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU3NDg0OTgx._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Just watched this last night. Really brought me back to that excitement of 2021 and I thought it did a very fair representation of everyone.

Watching Suzume now. Very good so far.

MV5BNGVkNDc3NjUtNTY5ZS00ZmE0LWE3YzctMDk2OTRlNTdiZWQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU3NDg0OTgx._V1_.jpg

This one disappointed me. As someone who loved Your Name, and Weathering With You way more. I felt this newest movie was a lot more derivative and I didn't find the romance believable at all

I still enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as his previous works

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This one disappointed me. As someone who loved Your Name, and Weathering With You way more. I felt this newest movie was a lot more derivative and I didn't find the romance believable at all

I still enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as his previous works
It’s a cartoon. Nothing believable.

killers of the flower moon. Very long and very wrong the way people tried to manipulate the Osage trust to their benefit. Movie should be an hour shorter.

Mohonky

The Tomorrow War; lots of plotholes, takes a good amount of time to actually start, some real jankiness.....but I still enjoyed it. Watch it with tepid expectations and it's an enjoyable alien / scifi action movie.

Cyberpunkd

Fast & Furious X

Rubbish, much worse than 9. I think the formula ran out. Main villain is an idiot, dialogue has “family” inserted into every sentence, even action is boring. Plot with kid and the uncle is stupid AF and just padding.

bitbydeath

Starship Troopers

This was quite perplexing for me. I knew of this films reputation beforehand, and went in with open mind. Verhoeven has made so terricific films before, and I often like cult classics. This one did not work the same way. The teenage drama with predictable and paper-thin characters could not keep my attention early on, but later part worked better, with more action and so on. Strangely, I checked out some deleted scenes, and I think they would have helped me relate to characters better, now most of the better stuff was cut out.

What also surprised me, was how many of the actord I knew. Most of them come from TV series, so I did not know their names.
You sure you didn’t watch one of the sequels by mistake?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

this felt like an AI generated Shyamalan movie that pulled in random shit from the internet, friends, karen culture, teslas, havana syndrome, etc. including some of the worst writing I've ever seen. Absolute garbage from beginning to end, but my wife loved it 🤷‍♂️

Completely agree, this was really fucking ridiculous. Like they tried to make an anti conspiracy movie by having the most vague conspiracy shit ever, nothing gets resolved, ridiculous stereotypes, inane dialogue, and that girl was insufferable and super racist but no one minded.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Color Out of Space. Nicholas Cage and Tommy Chong in an HP Lovecraft sci-fi horror? I'm in.

What a weird fucking moving that was.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I think Knock at the Cabin (an actual Shyamalan) did it much, much better. Did not like this.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Actually I think that was even worse but in completely different ways.

That's a shame, I think even if you're not guaranteed a perfect movie, I tend to like the concepts and ideas he explores and that he has a bit of a niche now. I can totally understand that not working and why people might bounce off it too, however.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Yes his base ideas are often good, but the execution with Cabin and Old was really so bad I couldn't believe this was actually M. Night. Knock at the Cabin hardly makes sense even in the movie's reality.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
killers-of-the-flower-moon.jpg

Was nice to be able to split this into two parts from the comforts of my own home. horrible story executed beautifully and tactfully. Undoubtedly will get Best Picture. Surprised however there was so little emphasis on the Hoover/Formation of the FBI when it was such a big part of the book. but that might have another huge disservice to the Osage nation, seeing that no real justice was served.

William-Hale.jpeg

WK Hale. Haunting stuff.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Color Purple

Went to an early screening today with a friend. It's not a remake of the original movie (it should have won the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Director) but a big screen venture of the musical stage play.

The music was GREAT and so many of the beats of the original movie/story (I never read the book) are familiar... I cried multiple times!

9.9/10

I saw this for the first time a few years ago. Blew me away. But it was hard watching many moments, I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom