• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS banning users over Halo 4 DLC debacle

MormaPope

Banned
What in the flying fuck. I got the map pack due to getting the specialization code, haven't booted up Halo 4 for the past couple of days. This is some bullshit though if people are getting banned for not even exploiting anything.

Not playing Halo 4 until this shit is sorted out or more detailed.

The_Monk

Should I turn my 360 and try some DLC Matches? Now I'm scared!

Also, I can't help but think... what if the other fellow GAFfer who got their console banned (and then bought another one and a ton of MS Points) got banned again, I wonder if he would buy another 360 and tons of MS Points, again.

i-Lo

If it's on the scale it sounds like it, it is probably automated and happening without any real intent on Microsoft's part-- maybe a check on some sort of flag or something. I'd bet it is all reversed, but slowly and annoyingly (and it happened during a bad time of the year with Christmas coming up).

Tomorrow, MS is going to have field day sorting through this mess.

God MS is so awful with the way they treat customers.

At least I can look forward to how people will find a way to blame the consumer.

antitrop

My copy of Halo 4 is still in the plastic wrap. The more I read about it the less I want to even bother unwrapping it.

There is no excuse for this on behalf of the guilty party (whoever they may be). This deserves to be a PR nightmare for them until everyone unjustly affected by this mistake has had their playing rights fully reinstated.

lexi

Banned
My copy of Halo 4 is still in the plastic wrap. The more I read about it the less I want to even bother unwrapping it.

There is no excuse for this on Microsoft's part, this deserves to be a PR nightmare for them.

If you can release a console with a MTBF of like 120 hours and not be called on it, you're immune to 'PR nightmares'.

So what's going on?
Look the people that are getting banned have a right to be angry if they've done nothing wrong, and there should definitely be an outcry for Microsoft to figure out what the fuck is happening and release a statement.

BUT, what I find mind bogglingly stupid is this shit right here:
I guess they know Halo players will still come back for more.
Here's some free DLC from our 7 day play program!

nvm lol b& umad Keepin it classy MS.
Halo 4 shouldnt even have the right to ban players. Its not even a good enough game.
343 is terrible.
Good job M$, screwing your customers over.
Microsoft is such a shit company. It's really sad how popular the Xbox has become and how willing people are to put up with their shit.
Fuck off, 343.
It wasn't legitimate dlc! They deserved it!
This is some psychotic shit on MS's part.
This entire thread is fucking mess of people who want to rage for the sake of raging because they see an opportunity to pile on.

M$ is greedy and evil! 343 sucks! Halo 4 sucks! It's happening to people who got the free DLC! No, it's happening to Season Pass players too!

It's a joke. No one can keep track of who they're made at, or why they're mad, or why something is happening. It's literally all conjecture. This entire topic is made on the premise that Microsoft is banning people that got the Crimson Pack for free, but apparently now it's happening to Season Pass holders too. So which is it?

The bannings are something to bitch over. But to create a frenzy by making up BS about the cause of the bannings is why why I think this thread is a mess.

Now at the end of the day, I agree with your hypothesis:
If it's on the scale it sounds like it, it is probably automated and happening without any real intent on Microsoft's part-- maybe a check on some sort of flag or something. I'd bet it is all reversed, but slowly and annoyingly (and it happened during a bad time of the year with Christmas coming up).
It probably is some automated ban wave, that is accidentally rounding up some people that it wasn't supposed to. But I'll bet anything that it has not to do with the fact that people got Crimson for free, since its happening to Season pass holders too. Correlation doesn't mean causation. And much of the outrage here is manufactured BS.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Whelp, I'm going in. Time to see if I get banned.
Well I ran a quick custom and played two games in the DLC playlist and I did not get banned. I also already have some achievements from the DLC so I'm not sure if that is a factor or not or if the system simply did not detect me.

GhaleonEB

I stopped playing the game a few weeks ago and have yet to redeem my map pass/specialization code from the LE (boy do I regret buying that thing). So I didn't get entangled in this, thank goodness.

It was dumb idea to begin with, but it's made spectacularly more so since MS couldn't even pull it off. Looking forward to the next phase, where MS sends people affected codes to play the maps for free and then bans them for doing so.

Akai__

From Halo Waypoint:

I'm talked with Xbox live customer support who then contacted 343 and 343 said they are working to rectify the problem with the crimson DLC.

Now let's hope, this is true...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, talk about staying classy...

Your reaction is bizarre. Microsoft randomly and unfairly banning people is worthy of scorn. I'm sorry someone saying, "Fuck off, MS," is so fundamentally upsetting to you that you need to compile a list of Prime Offenders who are "piling on," but don't worry, we allow that here.

There's no made up BS about why people are banned. But I would hope you would agree that it doesn't matter. It is a big mistake to have random ban waves on their part and people get upset.

BLAZER

Don't know if i should check? Is any one else game to?

It was a dumb idea to begin with, but it's made spectacularly more so since MS couldn't even pull it off. Looking forward to the next phase, where MS sends people affected codes to play the maps for free and then bans them for doing so.

Exactly this. To be honest, i'm finding less and less honesty through Frank's channels.

Resilient

Look the people that are getting banned have a right to be angry if they've done nothing wrong, and there should definitely be an outcry for Microsoft to figure out what the fuck is happening and release a statement.

BUT, what I find mind bogglingly stupid is this shit right here:

This entire thread is fucking mess of people who want to rage for the sake of raging because they see an opportunity to pile on.

M$ is greedy and evil! 343 sucks! Halo 4 sucks! It's happening to people who got the free DLC! No, it's happening to Season Pass players too!

It's a joke. No one can keep track of who they're made at, or why they're mad, or why something is happening. It's literally all conjecture. This entire topic is made on the premise that Microsoft is banning people that got the Crimson Pack for free, but apparently now it's happening to Season Pass holders too. So which is it?

The bannings are something to bitch over. But to create a frenzy by making up BS about the cause of the bannings is why why I think this thread is a mess.

Now at the end of the day, I agree with your hypothesis:

It probably is some automated ban wave, that is accidentally rounding up some people that it wasn't supposed to. But I'll bet anything that it has not to do with the fact that people got Crimson for free, since its happening to Season pass holders too. Correlation doesn't mean causation. And much of the outrage here is manufactured BS.

Add this one to the list

MS, get your shit together and stop allowing such blunders to continue happening.

Monumental, truly dying for our sins

Resilient

Your reaction is bizarre. Microsoft randomly and unfairly banning people is worthy of scorn. I'm sorry someone saying, "Fuck off, MS," is so fundamentally upsetting to you that you need to compile a list of Prime Offenders who are "piling on," but don't worry, we allow that here.

There's no made up BS about why people are banned. But I would hope you would agree that it doesn't matter. It is a big mistake to have random ban waves on their part and people get upset.

No amount of reasoning is gonna get through to this guy. You should know that there are people who will forgive anything on this forum.

antitrop

No amount of reasoning is gonna get through to this guy. You should know that there are people who will forgive anything on this forum.
I wouldn't say he's "forgiving", so much as he's just baselessly assuming that there is a good reason for this mistake and giving everyone at fault the benefit of the doubt.

jfoul

What in the flying fuck. I got the map pack due to getting the specialization code, haven't booted up Halo 4 for the past couple of days. This is some bullshit though if people are getting banned for not even exploiting anything.

Not playing Halo 4 until this shit is sorted out or more detailed.

Yeah, same here. I'll just hold off on playing Halo 4 until this is sorted out. I bought 15 games during Black Friday anyways.

Zeal

Banned
This shit is a disaster.

Yeah, same here. I'll just hold off on playing Halo 4 until this is sorted out. I bought 15 games during Black Friday anyways.
I condone this even as a huge Halo fan. Let them know this kind of garbage will not fly.

:lol

The worst part of all of this is the maps suck. Seriously the worst Halo map pack I have ever purchased and played. How do you like that? Outsource the maps to a random dev, maps suck. Im sure they may have been talented, but 343 really needs to stop outsourcing crap.

This map pack has killed my urge to play this game.. Ill come back to it eventually, but I need some time off. Hopefully they have taken massive steps forward by then.

MormaPope

Banned
Nothing about this surprises me anymore. Thank Christ I took a pass on picking this game up.

Because random ban waves for either dumb purposeful reasons or dumb accidental reasons is vindictive of the game's quality? What's going on is fucking weird and dumb, but that doesn't change the game's quality in of itself.

That being said, Halo 4 is really desisive.

Someone should have fun in court with this considering they backtracked from the error saying it was a "special promotion" and actively TOLD everyone to do it that had a specialization code.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
wait, some users are defending MS and 343 in regards to this?

talk about some fucking ass kissing.

I still believe it's just a mistake based on some automatic triggers or something, but their overall handling has been so confusing that it is kind of snowballing.

I don't think it's reflective of the game's like, map quality, or whatever.

So what do you want people to say? 'Thank you sir, may I have another?'
I agree with the people who are confused and angry and want Microsoft to get the bottom of this and release a statement as quickly as possible. B

But the controversy here isn't that people are being banned accidentally. The apparent controversy is that the people being banned are the ones that Microsoft fully allowed to have the free DLC in the first place. BUT, I think that claim is BS. It doesn't make sense since apparently season pass holders are being hit by this too. It's the people trying to manufacture the controversy which are really obfuscating the outcry.

I don't care that people are down on MS and are tired of them making mistakes. But the Microsoft is evil, Microsoft is greedy, and still using "M$" in 2012, completely spits in the face of any legitimate discussion.

The fact that you keep saying things like I'm on the verge of tears, and I'm upset that people are angry at Microsoft is what's truly bizarre. You're a mod for Christ sakes.

As for there being no BS about why people are banned... Of course there is! Where do we have any factual evidence whatsoever about this specifically happening to people who got the Crimson DLC free? It hasn't happened to me. It hasn't happened to friends of mine. And supposedly it's happened to Season Pass holders. So obviously the underlying cause is something else entirely.

I don't care that people are down on MS and are tired of them making mistakes. But the Microsoft is evil, Microsoft is greedy, and still using "M$" in 2012, completely spits in the face of any legitimate discussion.
Dude, you and one other dude are the only ones who have said these things in this thread. That one other dude only said M$. So it's just mostly you.

Good job M$, screwing your customers over.

Highly highly doubt that this is actual what's going on. There are other factors involved which will undoubtedly come to light over the next few days. But go ahead and have your few pages of bitchfest about how evil M$ is, how shitty Xbox Live is, and how terrible Halo 4 is.

Chill out.

i-Lo

I wouldn't say he's "forgiving", so much as he's just baselessly assuming that there is a good reason for this mistake and giving everyone at fault the benefit of the doubt.

He does have a point about some people just raging for the sake of hating MS a.k.a haters but my issue is with his notion that only banned members have right to be outraged as if the concerns of other buyers mean somewhat irrelevant until they also suffer some tragedy with their account.

Recent indiscriminate and irreversible banning show a surprising lack of accountability on behalf these big companies.

Resilient

I agree with the people who are confused and angry and want Microsoft to get the bottom of this and release a statement as quickly as possible. B

But the controversy here isn't that people are being banned accidentally. The apparent controversy is that the people being banned are the ones that Microsoft fully allowed to have the free DLC in the first place. BUT, I think that claim is BS. It doesn't make sense since apparently season pass holders are being hit by this too. It's the people trying to manufacture the controversy which are really obfuscating the outcry.

The fact that you keep saying things like I'm on the verge of tears, and I'm upset that people are angry at Microsoft is what's truly bizarre. You're a mod for Christ sakes.

As for there being no BS about why people are banned... Of course there is! Where do we have any factual evidence whatsoever about this specifically happening to people who got the Crimson DLC free? It hasn't happened to me. It hasn't happened to friends of mine. And supposedly it's happened to Season Pass holders. So obviously the underlying cause is something else entirely.

It's happening to a wide variety of users with no evidence as to the cause, as seen on the Waypoint forum. The reason people are angry is purely because people are paying for a service that continuously spits in the face of users. What if this week is the only chance a guy has to play, but he's banned because of yet another MS blunder?? How is that forgive able? The anger is justified because the customers don't want to tolerate it anymore. If you can't handle the way people are expressing their anger then leave the thread. Some are going to be rightfully angrier than others. They deserve to Let MS know they are dissatisfied. Regardless of whether its intentional or not its still a fuck up.

Top Bottom