• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit, glad this turnaround happened then, as a strict time limit family share would not have done much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A bunch of my mates who were already in on xbone are gutted about this too.

I'm ready to dicth the discs and go all digital, the old way would have ment I could shop around for the best prices instead of just the Xbox store.

I hope places sell codes.

I would have liked it to be an option you loose trade is you apply it to your library, you loose online if you join family sharing etc.

The xbox UI was made for all the games to be there too, game switching instantly, matchmaking one game while playing another. Hopefully that stays with DD but get ready to get up and change your disc.

For me it's a shame, I hope they can keep some 'features' moving forward with DD.

Oh and no way to I buy that 45min pastebin limit in thats been put in the title.

By now you should have figured out that MS don't have your best interests at heart. They just want to fuck you for money. I don't see why anyone is giving them even the tiniest benefit of the doubt anymore.

Eusis

CBOAT may be an insider or whatever but I am definitely NOT going to drink the Kool-Aid that "60sigh--" is a fucking confirmation or correction of anything.
He's been very reliable in the past so if there's any issue it's that it IS a vague statement. I can't see what else the 60 thing could apply to though.

SRTtoZ

CBOAT may be some sort of industry insider or whatever but I am definitely NOT going to drink the Kool-Aid that "60sigh--" is a fucking confirmation or correction of anything.

You dont have to believe it. You can believe it was sharing full games for everyone on their list for an unlimited time forever and ever.

ultron87

It does says access to your game library, not necessarily the entirety of each game.

When you consider the degree to which the rest of that post was rather clear in how we were getting screwed it just doesn't make sense for them to try and hide behind some clever language that would have obviously blown up in their face in the future. That whole pre-E3 info dump was their attempt to get all the negatives out of the way. Why try and be deceptive on this one fact?

This glorified demo/family sharing thing makes since in way. If I were MS I would have been touting family sharing like it was this huge feature. But if it was actually a really crappy feature, keeping it sidelined and vague makes sense.

Spazo

I dont get the point to download a 10-15 gig file to only be able to play it 45-60mins

This feature is fucking nothing. those are demos. you are not sharing anything here.

if you want to really try the game, download the 1-2 gig demo of the game. that's it.

good job microsoft for doing a useless feature

CBOAT may be some sort of industry insider or whatever but I am definitely NOT going to drink the Kool-Aid that "60sigh--" is a fucking confirmation or correction of anything.

No, you're all too willing to drunk the Koolaid that it was going to be anything else. Fine, whatever Koolaid flavor suits you, just don't pretend your baseless assumptions are any better than anyone else's here.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The suggestion that MS would allow you to share full games with no time limit with TEN random people (as you presumably share them from ten others), on the most DRM-infested, locked-down gaming system in history is even more absurd.

It all makes sense now
KuGsj.gif

By now you should have figured out that MS don't have your best interests at heart. They just want to fuck you for money. I don't see why anyone is giving them even the tiniest benefit of the doubt anymore.

Because of Halo. Angels wear halos. MS gave gamers Halo and therefore is an angel.

seriously, I don't know why they give them the benefit of the doubt. If this system was so great, they would have laid it all out for us to see. Things looked bad, were bad, and had to go. Anyone that wishes that the DRM remained, wait until next generation. 5-7 years from now isn't too long

Gowans

They have their work cut out for them, if this is true YUK!

That's fair, but there's also no reason to assume anything at all, really. It was a proposed feature that they're not implementing anymore. If they get around to implementing it, then we'll be somewhere. As is, I'm not sure why some are lamenting the loss of something that they never had, and was clearly not fleshed out. It may have turned out awesome. It may have turned out to be a modestly good feature. Or it may have been useless.

There's no sense crying over spilled milk when there was never really milk or a glass to begin with.

Darknight

OMG this cant get any worse....well it cant now but this "family plan" was full of it.

Still can comprehend the amount of people willing to lie to themselves that MS would allow you and 10 others to share your games. It was gimped on PS3 for a reason...why would publishers be ok with this? And now that this info is coming out that it was basically what PS+ does...offer an hour trial of full games. Ahhh MS's policy on XB180 is just batshit insane.

I dont get the point to download a 10-15 gig file to only be able to play it 45-60mins

This feature is fucking nothing. those are demos. you are not sharing anything here.

if you want to really try the game, download the 1-2 gig demo of the game. that's it.

PS+ actually offers this as one of its benefits. Yea it stupid but it offers the whole game for that one hour. So you can play it for one hour, no limits to your progress. You can even unlock trophies. SO if you like it, you buy it and continue where you left off. Else you dont. Its better than a demo in that you get the full experience for that one hour. Demo's normally limit you to a small section or say 5 minute gameplay session so you may not get a full glimps of what the game offers. Down side you got to DL the whole game file, lol, this is where I dont approve of it but its an optional perk for PS+.

If this was the game sharing library that MS thought of....Wow.

If the 60 minute demo bit is true then the DRM reversal came at a very good point for MS then. Now they are like the good guys who wanted 10 people to play games having on played once but changed their mind because people were too stupid to realize they were getting a good deal. If they had persisted they would have had to clarify the demo bit and it would have buried them.

koryuken

That's fair, but there's also no reason to assume anything at all, really. It was a proposed feature that they're not implementing anymore. If they get around to implementing it, then we'll be somewhere. As is, I'm not sure why some are lamenting the loss of something that they never had, and was clearly not fleshed out. It may have turned out awesome. It may have turned out to be a modestly good feature. Or it may have been useless.

There's no sense crying over spilled milk when there was never really milk or a glass to begin with.

There is a benefit to discussion if it gives you an insight at how MS wants to fuck the consumer.

Let me put it like this: since a mod likely changed the title, there had to be some confirmation of this.

The fact that CBOAT is still alive here after E3 means he knows more than you do.

Jomjom

Banned

But you've obviously drank the Kool-Aid of someone else based on the history of your posts.

But yeah as someone said, you should not only believe that the plan was to share your games in their entirety with 9 people, but it was simultaneously with 9 people, and actually MS forgot to add a 0, it was actually 90 people.

krae_man

Well downloading the full game does have the advantage of being able to buy it and continue playing right away if you like it. It is ideal well if you have the download speeds and data caps necessary to make that viable.

It is weird that this was going to be a "family share" feature instead of just something system wide.

If the 60 minute demo bit is true then the DRM reversal came at a very good point for MS then. Now they are like the good guys who wanted 10 people to play games having on played once but changed their mind because people were too stupid to realize they were getting a good deal. If they had persisted they would have had to clarify the demo bit and it would have buried them.

They only appear like good guys to people that could not see how the family plan as people imagined it could be went against everything the system was trying to implement. The Xbone was supposed to maximise publisher profits. That isn't going to happen if you can buy one game and let 10 people play it. The family plan would require a separate subscription that would generate revenue that would go to the companies that decided to participate in such a program. Publishers interested in guaranteed revenue may bite. However, titles like CoD, BF, and other big name titles would have never been shared in such a manner. They generate too much revenue and profit to need such a mechanism.

Microsoft went all in on a move that the market didn't want. They now look like a company that is trying to save face. They won't be the good guys in this. I am glad that the company changed course though. This type of DRM isn't needed.

didn't he say that mirror edge will be at ms conference
prince of Persia too
no paywall for sony

yeah he was right on the money.....not

Games shown at E3 are subject to being changed. This is nothing new. Mirror's Edge did appear at the EA conference and is something that could have changed at any time. Sony has no paywall on existing systems. There is a multiplayer paywall for the PS4. He said that his sources could not confirm whether or not there would be a paywall as sony was virgin tight on everything.

The suggestion that MS would allow you to share full games with no time limit with TEN random people (as you presumably share them from ten others), on the most DRM-infested, locked-down gaming system in history is even more absurd.

I think an hour periodic check to see if you're the one still playing it is considered a form of time limit. The fact that they compared taking Forza to your friends house also suggests it wasn't a glorified demo. Taking Forza on the 360 now to your friends house doesn't time out on you. They also mentioned playing in another room. That's another situation where the game wouldn't time out on you. I can definitely believe the 60 min meant the periodic check in, but a 60 min demo seems really really far fetched with the way they had written out the information. It just doesn't make sense as a demo that times out. If anything, it's just as absurd as allowing 10 people to play the game at the same time. In either case if that is what they were going for, it would have been a disaster.

Averon

It's pretty damn obvious the Family Plan was a rushed, ill-thought out desperation play to stem to bad PR MS was inundated with. As you said, downloading massive files for a 1 hour demo doesn't make sense. Why not just download the official demo that's likely an order of magnitude smaller in size and that gives the same experience? What benefit does the Family Plan gives you that officially released demos doesn't already?

Zoe

prince of Persia too
no paywall for sony

And he was on the nose for other things.

He apologized for the things he was wrong about. Things change at the last minute all the time (he wasn't confident about Sony, IIRC). Announcements get pulled all the time (Gaikai at last year's E3, anyone?).

McLovin

On ps+ you can preview full games already. Since everyone has to pay for online anyway that family share seems pretty useless as a console selling feature.

ultron87

I don't really doubt the confirmation but I really want to know what possible benefit they'd have for pretty directly lying like that both on that Xbox Wire page and in the Ars Technica and Penny Arcade interviews. It just doesn't make sense as a policy decision from any angle I can consider.

prince of Persia too
no paywall for sony

Ugh. Mirror's Edge wasn't at the MS conference but it was at E3. He specifically said that he couldn't confirm whether there's a PS4 paywall.

The only thing he actually got wrong was PoP and he apologised for that.

Ocaso

It's pretty damn obvious the Family Plan was a rushed, ill-thought out desperation play to stem to bad PR MS was inundated with. As you said, downloading massive files for a 1 hour demo doesn't make sense. Why not just download the official demo that's likely a order of magnitude small and that gives the same experience?

Sony does the same thing, and, to be honest, provided you don't have a bandwidth cap, a 1 hour demo of the actual game can convince you to purchase far more than a demo in many instances.

That said, I knew there had to be a catch to family sharing. It was always too good to be true. I would not mourn its loss at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It probably started out from the idea that you could download/install your game at a friends house and play it - then when you leave, the game is still 'there' so why not let your friend play it for a while and see if they want to buy it? And they won't have to download it again because it is already installed.

Tomcat

And he was on the nose for other things.

He apologized for the things he was wrong about. Things change at the last minute all the time (he wasn't confident about Sony, IIRC). Announcements get pulled all the time (Gaikai at last year's E3, anyone?).

he was wrong for a lot of things thus he isn't as reliable as many here on gaf think he is.
did you see many publishers not mentioning ps4 by the way?

It'd be more absurd to restrict 60 minute demos this way when they'd be nothing more than an attempt to sell the game.

Eusis

I wish they went through with this just for the laughs.
I wouldn't want the RISK of potentially messing everything up, but yeah. it would've been really interesting to see how badly things fucked up if they just went "we don't give a FUCK we're doing this! All the way!"
he was wrong for a lot of things thus he isn't as reliable as many here on gaf think he is.
did you see many publishers not mentioning ps4 by the way?
I think the angle there was not mentioning a game would be ALSO on PS4 in the relevant conferences and maybe not on the show floor, which is a moot problem since 1. they tend to relay the platforms online, AKA where MOST people are actually going to know and see, and 2. Sony was very much guilty of the same by misleading us on implied FFXV and KHIII exclusivity. It's kinda crappy, but in the end it's the one area they're both guilty at, and frankly I can understand it within the context of a press conference at least; they're talking about THEIR platforms, and no one elses.

Sean

Banned
I knew the family sharing thing was too good to be true.

It's pretty damn obvious the Family Plan was a rushed, ill-thought out desperation play to stem to bad PR MS was inundated with. As you said, downloading massive files for a 1 hour demo doesn't make sense. Why not just download the official demo that's likely an order of magnitude small in size and that gives the same experience? What benefit does the Family Plan gives you that officially released demos doesn't already?

The vast majority of games (especially AAA ones) don't have demos so that wouldn't really work in every scenario.

leadbelly

Banned
The difference is the game sharing groups that sprung up on the internet immediately after hearing the news.

Everyone was planning on sharing all the games instead of buying them, because they could just join up with groups they found online, and they didn't have to trust anyone because they never had to send a physical game or use their account. It was risk free, anonymous, global free for all game sharing so you'd never have to buy a game again.

Lending a disc to a friend isn't even in the same galaxy as that.

This actually ties in to the question I had about this so called policy. What would stop you from constantly changing people in your family group? If there were no restrictions in place you could just keep changing family group members to people who had a particular game you wanted to play. If such a feature was implemented it would have to be seriously restricted so that didn't happen.

Top Bottom