• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

aristotle

Stop about the nonsense that the family plan would cause publishers money. If I share my physical disc with my friends now they won't buy the game anyway, so what is the fucking difference. I bet a lot of the posters in this thread spreading fud or the ones who weren't going to buy an x1 anyway. This trolling shit needs to stop, every fucking thread is the same shit even when discussing games, that have nothing to do with the x1.

What thread are you in? This is about the Xbone and it's policies or lack thereof. Sorry MS screwed up and they didn't make it all rosy for you, but get with reality already. It's not exactly trolling if it's the truth and you can't accept it. IMO anyway.

I firmly believe CBoat on this. I'm honestly astonished that people are questioning him and the validity of his statements. How long have you people been here? Check their post history! Hell check mine while you're at it. This pastebin/cboat revelation makes more sense than anything else MS PR has shit out lately.

I guess Patcher was right about most of GAF not having a clue how this industry works. It's like some of you don't even have common sense for business. Like another poster said, it's their "squirting" thing all over again. They saw gamers as their free publicity. An entire console ecosystem that was always connected and your friends had access to see all of the games you play. You let 10 specific people through your "red rope" and they get a taste. PS+ already does this but it's not restricted unlike MS's plan.

I'm laughing at how many people actually thought you could share unlimited games for an unlimited amount of time with a close group of friends. Hell if it was true I'd buy an xbone just so I would have to buy a new game maybe once every 3 or 4 months. It doesn't make fiscal sense for any company outside of MS to allow this fiasco. If you thought the Wii/Wii U developer non-support was bad, you should think about the Xbone atmosphere a year from now if this family share thing worked how some of you dreamed it would.

I also honestly don't believe that gamers were the cause for this turn-around. I think it was the big box stores (Walmart, Sam's Club, Target, etc.) who forced MS's hand in this. Once retailers learn they would/could potentially lose 9 sales off of a high percentage of games, they would stop carrying that system. There is very little markup on new games for most stores (at least the last time I worked at one in '96). I believe it was retailers who made MS change their minds, not us unfortunately. MS has shown time and time again they don't care what anyone thinks as long as they can make a buck off of you.

Their family share plan was just a slightly better pyramid scheme and nothing more. The more games you have/had, the more you could freely advertise to your xbone friends and they could make money from you just playing and having a game in your library. Why else would they need to "update" every 24 hrs just to make sure you didn't have a new game in your list? ;)

NHale

So this is what Jeff Gerstmann implied at the Gamespot sign-off show. He said Microsoft was going to announce something at Gamescom that would make people even angrier. This must have been it.

Just another lie to add to the extensive list. Guess I know who I can't trust unless they make drastic changes in the people in charge. Save us Allard!

vareon

Yeah I wouldn't trust this company regarding its Xbone policy in the near future. They carefully crafted their words to hide a MAJOR nuisance (since some people genuinely liked the family plan) in order to sell a utopian future of free sharing for 10 people, now my brothers can play a game I bought, etc. They could be hiding or planning something more. Sorry, MS.

Chaos17

So this is what Jeff Gerstmann implied at the Gamespot sign-off show. He said Microsoft was going to announce something at Gamescom that would make people even angrier. This must have been it.

Just another lie to add to the extensive list. Guess I know who I can't trust unless they make drastic changes in the people in charge. Save us Allard!
I wonder if they will still announce it *will prepare pop corn* :D

Glad the catch was finally revealed.
No way would MS green-light anything that could potentially benefit the consumer.
(The No DRM/Region-free doesn't really count).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If the 60 minute thing is true(which I think it is because in CBoaT we trust!), then all I have to say is.... I knew it!

There just had to be a catch, there was no way MS was going to ever go through all that trouble to try to kill of used games, lending and renting games just to make it so easy to share one copy of a game with 10 people.

hachi

Banned
While I share the complete distrust of MS and their intentions, I feel that surely this doesn't represent the whole story. They may have been working on several combinations of different sharing efforts which perhaps didn't pan out or became confused along the way.

I'm still trying to figure out how this is a confirmation. I'm not criticizing the boat, but I'm just not clear on why this cryptic response was hailed as a definitive statement.

fatty

I'm still trying to figure out how this is a confirmation. I'm not criticizing the boat, but I'm just not clear on why this cryptic response was hailed as a definitive statement.

Don't you dare question those crazy buttocks.

The sharing plan never made any sense, seemed to be against the very things their retarded DRM policies were attempting to create (ie every time someone plays MS gets paid) and lo and behold, CBOAT reveals that the emperor had no clothes.

Ponn

Banned
A part of me that really doesn't give a shit anymore caring about my own and other gamers consumer rights against a slew of complacency that are fine with taking it up the you know what really wishes MS would have just went through with this console as it was. Let them have it, let the market see the console the developers, publishers and game companies want compared to the console more aligned with what gamers who still care about their consumer rights, ownership and staving off the erosion of those for a little longer. I really would have loved to see this all play out to the bitter end.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

If the rumor wasn't true, why would he even reply (or lets say, dignify) it?

I almost wish they introduced this plan just to see the reaction of the 60 min limit

Me too, because it would've blown in their face. I kinda want the third console curse to continue, it's fun, because if another big company comes in it'll be fun to watch the third console curse again.

And well, because my trust to MS has been completely ruined. Hehe.

spekkeh

Banned
Stop about the nonsense that the family plan would cause publishers money. If I share my physical disc with my friends now they won't buy the game anyway, so what is the fucking difference. I bet a lot of the posters in this thread spreading fud or the ones who weren't going to buy an x1 anyway. This trolling shit needs to stop, every fucking thread is the same shit even when discussing games, that have nothing to do with the x1.
The fucking difference is that it takes fucking time and effort to share physical discs. Sure, little Jimmy around the corner may be easy, but a scheme where you share among ten people takes a lot if time to set up and coordinate, then you need to buy bubblewrap envelopes, stamps and drive fifteen minutes to the post office to queue in line, times ten for every cycle of sharing. I have a job and can't even be arsed to sell my games secondhand because of all this effort.

Now contrast this to a platform where you can automatically add your friends to a group, see when they are finished gaming and instantaneously download the game when they're done.

[insert condescending remark]

LevityNYC

Banned
The fucking difference is that it takes fucking time and effort to share physical discs. Sure, little Jimmy around the corner may be easy, but a scheme where you share among ten people takes a lot if time to set up and coordinate, then you need to buy bubblewrap envelopes, stamps and drive fifteen minutes to the post office to queue in line, times ten for every cycle of sharing. I have a job and can't even be arsed to sell my games secondhand because of all this effort.

Now contrast this to a platform where you can automatically add your friends to a group, see when they are finished gaming and instantaneously download the game when they're done.

[insert condescending remark]

I'm sure the CAG forums and other online places would set up a gaming pyramid scheme where one person would buy a game and sell it 10 times for 6 dollars each.

border

Stop about the nonsense that the family plan would cause publishers money. If I share my physical disc with my friends now they won't buy the game anyway, so what is the fucking difference.

The difference is that publishers don't choose to allow you to share a disc with a friend. If they had a choice they would lock down your copy to your console.

But if publishers were allowed to prevent Game Sharing, they almost certainly would.

The claim was that you both get to play the game at the same time. People assumed this was unrestricted access, so you were buying a retail disc (or even a digital version) which essentially allowed for an additional free digital copy, which could then be passed to another 8 people.

If people thought EA, for example, were going to allow that with FIFA 14 or Madden...I can't even express how naive they must be.

Z3M0G

Why are there limits to how many times you can play a demo on Wii U? Same logic applies to why MS would care how and when people can play demos.

What? No, that doesn't make any sense...

Limiting how many times you can play a demo is one thing...

Limiting how many people can play a demo is completely different...

One entices you to finally buy the game, the other simply limits exposure.

Pillville

The first couple of pages of this thread are awesome to read now. I wish MS would have announced the actual plan for Family Sharing before removing it so that these people would have blamed MS instead of the anti-DRM crowd for "killing" the best feature.

Microsoft won customers. I lost features. This is a selfish "FUCK!"

Well, that sucks. Didn't care about the DRM or the check-in, but was very excited about the Family plan.

Rest in Peace - that feature was going to be awesome.

I'm so upset by this. Took away family sharing digital games, which is the future...
All it's doing it hurting people who were going to buy and were excited about the new future features.

What a shitty trade off. Internet kids that probably wouldn't even bought an xbone regardless ruined it.

This makes me really fucking sad, sharing the games online was definitely the best Xbox One feature.
I wish using discs would be left behind going into the next generation. Thanks for ruining it guys!

Honestly, I don't think having things the way they are today is worth losing this feature.
....This feature was one of the biggest selling points, and the innovation MS was creating with their cloud game libraries is dead now because consumers didn't have vision.
....This is a loss for people who like innovation. The industry will stay stagnant for another generation.

I wish we could opt in to 24 hour checks to get game sharing.
I get it but the system is less appealing to me now.

To be honest I liked Family Sharing more then how it is now. This system was so good and had so much potential, and it's gone now. :( Maybe :(
....but now I'm a little heartbroke it did, I really was looking forward to Family Sharing. I was hoping to start a NeoGAF family and hopefully everyone gets to play every launch game because we're all in the family and we all bought different games. So disappointing.

You know what's bullshit? An internet collective denouncing any form of innovation, in terms of moving towards the future, because they don't completely understand it.
....Thanks, guys!

Yeah, same here. My planned purchases were revolved around the Family Sharing. :(

I wouldn't have been adversely effected by any of their restrictions (DRM/Online). I would've used the shit out of family sharing. Net win my ass.

The family sharing was one of the main reasons I pre-ordered and XB1...

Great...one awesome feature that I was seriously looking forward to is killed.

I'd like to thank most of GAF and the rest of the hc gaming community that probably wouldn't have bought the console anyways for destroying an amazing feature.

no more off-disc play.
no more sharing with friends/family over live.

so now we have the xbox 360 2. hype totally deflated.

It's not a net win for some people. For some of us it's a loss. Neither the DRM or 24-hour check in were going to have any effect on me, but the Family plan was.
And now we go back to the status quo and another generation of not going DD-only slips away because people would rather have dirt cheap games than technical innovation.
For some use cases this is a huge win, but for some it's clearly not.

Guys... guys,

The 60 minute timer always existed, they made this public. If you bring a physical disc that's not tied to the owner of that console, the online check in was 60 minutes instead of 24-hrs, this applied to ANY console, not just the 10 friends on your list, people are obviously getting the two confused imo.

Also if it's just a glorified demo with the option to buy, why limit to 10 people that have to be on your account for 30 days? wouldn't they want to sell to as many people as possible? Also the fact that the 30 day restriction existed, was to limit people from making room for new users and sharing unlimitedly to anyone, also not allowing 2 people to use the same game at the same time, there's no point in doing any of this unless you were actually sharing a full game without a timer.

Guys... guys,

The 60 minute timer always existed, they made this public. If you bring a physical disc that's not tied to the owner of that console, the online check in was 60 minutes instead of 24-hrs, this applied to ANY console, not just the 10 friends on your list, people are obviously getting the two confused imo.

Also if it's just a glorified demo with the option to buy, why limit to 10 people that have to be on your account for 30 days? wouldn't they want to sell to as many people as possible? Also the fact that the 30 day restriction existed, was to limit people from making room for new users and sharing unlimitedly to anyone, also not allowing 2 people to use the same game at the same time, there's no point in doing any of this unless you were actually sharing a full game without a timer.

Ding Ding Ding We Have A Winner

Microsoft already announced that for accessing your games over the cloud when you go to somebody else's house, there would be an internet check every hour as opposed to every 24 hours. Family sharing is, you guessed it, accessing full games over the cloud similar to someone signing in with their account elsewhere, hence restricted to an internet check every hour. Family sharing wasn't a demo, it was the full game. The blog is as bogus as it gets, and I place absolutely no weight on the fact that cboat is seeming to say its true, because it's so safe to jump in and say something is true when it has seemingly been shelved, at least for the time being.

Microsoft already announced that for accessing your games over the cloud when you go to somebody else's house, there would be an internet check every hour as opposed to every 24 hours. Family sharing is, you guessed it, accessing full games over the cloud similar to someone signing in with their account elsewhere, hence restricted to an internet check every hour. Family sharing wasn't a demo, it was the full game. The blog is as bogus as it gets, and I place absolutely no weight on the fact that cboat is seeming to say its true, because it's so safe to jump in and say something is true when it has seemingly been shelved, at least for the time being.

the 60 minute limit has been confirmed by a board insider. (CBOAT) it's legit.

So, what did you think would happen after that hour check-in? The game would just keep playing? What's the point for the hour check-in otherwise?

I'll save you the answer: in one of the very first interviews, Harrison says your buddy would be prompted to purchase the game to continue playing.

Yeah that's a really good point. Cboat only ever shares info with us when it's impossible to verify, as such he has zero track record here for ever being correct. I only wish you'd shared this earlier or perhaps the thread wouldn't be so out of control.

BigDug13

So you guys still think MS went out of their way to kill used gaming only to let you share the entire game with 10 other people with unlimited time limit? I mean Sony already tried to do this with a 5 person sharing plan and had to change it to two. How would MS get away with doing the same thing Sony tried 6 years ago but offering it to twice as many as Sony did?

Dont you have an insider knowledge? I find it highly unlikely you can on one hand know about the consoles yield issues and on the other not know about the family sharing. And dont try an worm your way out of it. The way you phrased this post proves you dont know for sure either.

Asriel

So, what did you think would happen after that hour check-in? The game would just keep playing? What's the point for the hour check-in otherwise?

I'll save you the answer: in one of the very first interviews, Harrison says your buddy would be prompted to purchase the game to continue playing.

Good point. That's the whole point of a check-in in the first place, no? It just doesn't make sense.

methane47

Is there any credence to Aaron Greenberg's response regarding this? It seems kind of vague.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/statuses/347911202057379840

Or he could be telling the truth

User said "Not actually sharing the full game?"
And that isn't true, it IS the full game but its time limited. The English language is a gift and a curse

Maybe you can play the full game (when you are logged IN to your own account) but when other people on your plan are logged in, they get the time trial?

Plus as of now, they aren't implementing is, so they can claim that the family plan did your homework and cleaned your car for all that it matters

Well we know it wasn't a time limited demo.

A one hour demo wouldn't even make sense because with their DRM they could have offered a one hour trial for every game on their marketplace.

But of course there are going to be those Microsoft haters that deny it.
"Corporate pawns trying to sell their anti-consumer policies."

I guess we'll only really know when it is (hopefully) released later for digital purchases.

Not a single person refuting this has said "There was no time limit."
All they keep saying is "It's not a demo" or "They were full games". They're taking pleasure in avoiding the question.

Hey check out that tweet ;)
Hahahaha that was perfect man :p

Top Bottom