• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS + NSA reveal. Wil this affect the Kinect?

Iorv3th

Do you think if the Government demanded you to turn over information on private stuff that you have, you'd be able to deny them and tell them to try somebody else?

Ha... our Government is corrupt as hell. They want you in jail for no reason, you're in jail. They want you dead? You're dead. You think that dude that's in Russia right now is safe? Ha... they're going to get him.

I think it's funny that people think MS can just be like.. No Government... we will not release you info on anything. We are above you.

I wish we were above the Government... but the sad reality is we are not. They'll kill our president like they have before.

We need a Jedi to run this country.

I agree with you, but they don't have to store the data or make the kinect mandatory.

However again I don't think MS should be the ones at blame for this I think we should be mad at our government if we are going to get mad at anyone and try to get things changed.

I don't understand those that say "well your laptop has a camera, your phone has a camera" etc. I have the option to still use those devices with those functions turned off. The camera isn't always on and when it is on you know it (most cases with a light etc).

You also have the option to turn Kinect off, and you also have a light indicating when it's on.

Kyon

Banned
I've read each and every single post in this thread. Summary:

• There are Americans on this board who will gladly give away their civil liberties (and jeopardize the civil liberties of others) just to play the next Halo.
  • Xbox fans are willing to defend absolutely everything, to the point of ruining the gaming experience of others.
  • Facts are no longer a part of the discussion. (PS2 had the same failure rates as the 360?)
  • Certain GAF posters are even reverting to passively insulting GAF members who have served in the military and fought for the freedoms that some people are all too willing to throw away.
  • "Better throw away your cellphone, PC, webcam, etc.", is the new false equivalence tactic.

All this for a company logo, as AlphaMegaSin so eloquently put it.

Conclusion: Xbox fans have completely and utterly jumped the shark. It is beginning to ruin the intellectual quality of discussion, honestly...

This excuse is intellectually dishonest, and ignores all of the facts that have come out regarding the bolded...

Go IN
ii7zic3kAepTa.gif

The NSA reveal is going to do more than just hurt Kinect; it's going to hurt all sorts of American technology companies who's customers may decide to go elsewhere.

It's easy to blame the US government, but at the end of the day, with this revelation, people are going to have a lot less confidence in the privacy of their data with US businesses.

Alx

Cant we turn the Kinect off anyway?

I don't understand those that say "well your laptop has a camera, your phone has a camera" etc. I have the option to still use those devices with those functions turned off. The camera isn't always on and when it is on you know it (most cases with a light etc).

Well if people are paranoid enough to think that a kinect camera can record them without their knowledge when it's not supposed to, there's no reason they should trust their phone or computer when it tells them the camera or microphone is disabled. It's all software, so it can all be hacked. The only way to be sure a camera is not on is to cut off its power source (no, pushing the power button is not enough : you should unplug the cord and physically remove all batteries from the device).

(note : paranoia means seeing danger everywhere... it doesn't mean that a paranoid is always wrong, though)

I agree with you, but they don't have to store the data or make the kinect mandatory.

But what kind of data are we talking about ? I don't think anybody mentioned during the NSA scandal that they provided illegally collected data. Who needs that when they already legally host e-mails, company servers, shared folders etc ?

Iorv3th

You also have the option to turn Kinect off, and you also have a light indicating when it's on.

You have that option when the system is turned on? I didn't know that about the 360 as mine is always on in our living room when the xbox is on. However on the One I thought it was always on always part of the sytem as it's required? I know you can turn it off when the sytem is off so that it will not turn on from voice commands etc. But can it be off during system use?

If it can be off then why make it be connected for the system to power on?

You have that option when the system is turned on? I didn't know that about the 360 as mine is always on in our living room when the xbox is on. However on the One I thought it was always on always part of the sytem as it's required? I know you can turn it off when the sytem is off so that it will not turn on from voice commands etc. But can it be off during system use?

Look here.

If it can be off then why make it be connected for the system to power on?

Look here.

Will it affect the Kinect?

In the sense that the XB1 and the Kinect are one and the same, yeah, I believe it will.

That paranoia (although not pot-smoking, long haired, conspiracy theorist paranoia) has definitely been passed down the mainstream. There's a number of people I know, who would be the Xbox early adopters, who don't want the system because they're concerned about the uncertainty of Kinect's security.

So given the context of it's announce, Snowden and the NSA stuff coming out, I would be inclined to say it will have an impact of equal importance to the price difference.

That's my opinion anyway.

S¡mon

Banned
That's precisely why the kinect is not a spying device, and why the problem is not about it but about data transfer and storage in general.
That concern about the pictures you or your friends uploaded from a kinect are real, but they're also true for any digital content. It has nothing to do with kinect because it's also true for the pictures you took with your phone, or the mails you sent from your computer

The PRISM scandal isn't about the NSA peeking into people's home, it's about the NSA reading all the shit that you uploaded to different company servers, while you thought that they would keep them confidential.
I agree with you. The issue with Kinect really is that people are not certain anymore when they are uploading their content. When you send an e-mail, you first send press. When you upload a photo, you first press upload.

The thing with Kinect is that Microsoft is not clearly stating (or at least, as you can see, for lots of users, not clearly enough) what Kinect is recording and sending to Microsoft's/Whoever's servers. Is voice recognition something that's done entirely on the Xbox One, or uploads it your speech to check what you are saying (which also results in at least 6 months of storage)?

It's just one of the many questions people have. Maybe Microsoft has already answered (some of the) questions, but one thing is certain: they weren't clear enough as there are still many people asking those questions.

That said, I do believe that it is absolutely ridiculous that Xbox One basically stops working when no Kinect is connected at all.

Alx

They did give official information on those points actually, but it's true they've been very bad at getting the message through (it's been their first problem during the whole X1 situation). For example, voice recognition is done offline. There are very few personal data uploaded to MS servers.
I think that if you trust their word, they wouldn't store many private information (if any), none that could help an intelligence agency anyway. The problem is, many people are doubting their word now, but of course that's where they're walking the thin line between caution and paranoia.

I still stand by the idea that the best argument to dismiss that fear, is that even with full access to a kinect, with live backdoor and everything, the NSA wouldn't get useful information out of it. The things they're interested in don't happen in living rooms, especially not those the owner perfectly knows are equipped with a camera. Even if a spying kinect is possible, it's basically pointless, so there's no reason it will be done.

I think that if you trust their word

DRM is staying
DRM is good for the consumer
Sony is not a threat
the power of the Cloud (40x the power of the 360 with the cloud, over 4 times to power without, improves graphics)
Are you a developer?

Yeah...about that....

many people are doubting their word now

Bingo. It only takes common sense to see how trustworthy Microsoft has been lately.

Alx

I wouldn't put in the same category communication about strategy, which is always half bluff, and communication about privacy policy. Not the same thing at all.

I wouldn't put in the same category communication about strategy, which is always half bluff, and communication about privacy policy. Not the same thing at all.

Ones PR about their system, the other is PR about privacy.

Don't get Scroogled.

Yeah...about that.

Alx

Nope, terms and conditions written on a website have official value. PR about "we're not afraid of Sony" are just words in the wind.

Coxy

Nope, terms and conditions written on a website have official value. PR about "we're not afraid of Sony" are just words in the wind.

its value is $88.28, you think microsoft cant take those losses a few times to gain the favour of the government?

Goldmund

I think people are misunderstanding the NSA's and other intelligence agencies' prime objective. It's internal security, yes, but mainly as in ascertaining if and ensuring that the general public behaves in a predictable and controllable way, gently steering the public discourse in cooperation with other institutions, if need be, until it complies with the order of things (whatever that may be for the respective nation).

Compared to that terrorists are irrelevancies; its population is every nation's biggest threat. I'd be very surprised if it isn't the common guy who "has nothing to hide" that is targeted first and foremost. I don't think the data that can be gathered by Kinect is particularly expedient, though. You're better off not using Gmail than not buying an Xbone.

Top Bottom