• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa's Fishy Tales of the Nekomata DLC is out in North America

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As much as I liked the game, I stopped about half way into the story since I already finished it on the Wii. But this might be the excuse I need to at least pick up the game again.

gokieks

I bought both the physical CE and digital version, but I'm still holding out for the PS Vita TV release in NA before I go back to the game... so I'll probably wait for that to happen or for all the DLC to be released to buy at once.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With these DLC stories, do you play through most of the game again just with a few new bosses? Or are the DLC stories a lot shorter?

arr I have the US copy of the game, but the PSN account attached to my vita is EU. sucks to buy the game again to play the DLC :(
Snap, same here.

But I'll add some funds to my US account and change my Vita to that for a while. Though it's a major pain in the ass, at least there's an option to switch regions on the Vita.

Jobbs

Banned
I only play the game on Chaos, which can be pretty hairy. I'm also rusty after not playing in a while.

I've checked out the DLC a bit. I'm still getting the hang of it, and on Chaos I'm strugglign a bit, but I must say it's very polished and inventive. VW never fails to impress. I love their quirky style and beautiful art and animation. The world needs more studios like this. I don't know a LOT about Vanillaware and the people in it, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it must be headed up by one person who kinda brings the vision and draws a lot of the art himself, which explains the game's exceptionally dialed in appearance and design.

They also seem to pursue their own interests, few of their games seem highly focus tested. (Dragon's Crown is probably the most mainstreamy of their games) I love Vanillaware. It's a shame that a relative few number of people own vitas, and while many people like 2D games, I still get the feeling that the beautiful art VW is doing (in this game in particular) is going under appreciated. It's gorgeous.

As a side thought, while I like my Vita, I really wish I could play this game on anything else. :) I appreciate the colorful, detailed visuals on the OLED, but I'd appreciate them perhaps even more on my 42 inch. Beyond that, the sound of the game is a bit muddled, (even if I use headphones) and I'm sorta blaming the hardware for that.

I only play the game on Chaos, which can be pretty hairy. I'm also rusty after not playing in a while.

I've checked out the DLC a bit. I'm still getting the hang of it, and on Chaos I'm strugglign a bit, but I must say it's very polished and inventive. VW never fails to impress. I love their quirky style and beautiful art and animation. The world needs more studios like this. I don't know a LOT about Vanillaware and the people in it, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it must be headed up by one person who kinda brings the vision and draws a lot of the art himself, which explains the game's exceptionally dialed in appearance and design.

They also seem to pursue their own interests, few of their games seem highly focus tested. (Dragon's Crown is probably the most mainstreamy of their games) I love Vanillaware. It's a shame that a relative few number of people own vitas, and while many people like 2D games, I still get the feeling that the beautiful art VW is doing (in this game in particular) is going under appreciated. It's gorgeous.

Vanillaware are the modern masters of 2D. That is all.

I need to get to finishing up Kisuke's path before I bother with DLC.

Jobbs

Banned
Vanillaware are the modern masters of 2D. That is all.

I need to get to finishing up Kisuke's path before I bother with DLC.

I haven't finished Kisuke either, I never found him as interesting as Momohime. The DLC seems to be completely and totally unrelated to the original game's story or characters, so you can play it independently.

joe2187

Banned
So I've been playing for about an hour so far, so these are some first impressions of the DLC.

Okoi's combat is very different compared to the momohimes and Kisukes, whereas they were able to make use of short and long sword with different status effects and ninja arts special attacks. Okoi is limited to three main weapon styles.

There is her Okoi form, her standard Nekomata form which plays similar to long sword style of combat with larger, farther strikes and typically more damage. She also has a Ninja arts that's similar berserker barrage, very quick with a very large finisher, like slashing Ninja arts there are frames of invincibility so it's a good use when trying to escape large enemy attacks. Whats nice about this form is that it's great for setting up long chains in the air, she's alot more floaty than momo or kisuke, and her air attacks actually make her travel across the screen so once you get an enemy in a juggle you can do a lot of damage.
XcyxDJO.jpg

Her second form is Miike, a small cat that is similar to the short sword style with very fast strikes with multiple hits. Miike is tricky, she's very fast often difficult to see when the action gets intense. She makes up for it with a very large reserve of spirit energy and projectile attacks that can be fired off in single waves or charged up for different affects. Charging it once or tapping it rapidly just fires out small bursts of fireballs that deal fire damage. Charging it twice or holding it down for half a second or more unleashes a larger fireball or a large barrage of smaller ones. Charging it a third time, or holding the ninja art button until three whisps are encircling Miike lets loose her unique attack which makes it rain kittens from the sky....I mean it. Each cat from the kitty rain deals good amounts of damage and gives Miike some invincibility while she's dancing for kitty blood god of death.

Her third form is the Avatar, basically a demon form for Okoi or Miike. This is a pretty cool difference for Okoi's playstyle, instead of three swords it's three forms. You have heavy damage (Okoi) fast and fierce (Miike) and Tank mode (Avatar) in Avatar form you're completely invincible and deal heavy amounts of damage with two different types of attacks. However the two types of Avatar you transform into are dependent on what form you are in when you switch to it. If you are in Okoi form, you transform into this giant cat demon that deals damage with her humongous claw swipes, or curl up in a giant swirling ball of death and bounce around the screen.

If you are in Miike form, you are able to traverse around the entire screen wherever you want. unleashing a spinning attack that deals many hits or spitting a flaming fireball bomb.

Her avatar form needs alot of charge to build up so it's useful to either save it for emergencies or boss fights. The charging is dependent on gaining souls and dealing damage, so the more souls and damage you do the faster you build it up. The Avatar form is also limited to it's own spirit energy meter which drains very rapidly.

Like the main game, there are alot of upgrades to your weapons and stats. Aqquiring spirit and souls is the same, but it's used differently. Since Okoi and her three forms are using their natural weapons you instead upgrade them and gain modifiers that act like the different swords from the main game in conjunction with upgrading and adding differences to your basic attacks. There is a pretty hefty leveling system and going down the list of purchasable upgrades, there is a lot to unlock about the same if not more than the amount of swords from the main game.

Overall I think this is a pretty solid and wonderful addition to this game, there are repeated areas and such but there are some subtle differences in setting and color that make it seem fresh, and I dont mind that in the slightest.

Another thing, the DLC seems to me at least to be somewhat more challenging than the main game itself. Adapting to the new playstyle may be causing some of my issues but I'm enjoying the difficulty regardless. And I have to give props to the DLC's first unique boss I havent fully beaten him yet but everytime I die I dont mind, watching everything that is going on during this boss fight is insane and awesome.

minor boss spoilers

Thanks Aksys/Vanillaware!

bon

How do you access the DLC? It's installed but I can only find Momohime and Kisuke's stories.

EDIT: I thought I had the patch installed but apparently not

Sintoid

I have USA retail game and I'm european, is there any hope the Eu DLC works with USA Game?
And by the way, how much does the DLC cost? If there's no compatibility between dlc and game I think I'll double dip with european version of the game (wich is on sale right now)

Reisläufer

Neo Member

You’re totally right about that, George Kamitani and his art is really the heart and soul of Vanillaware. From my experience the development of the games I truly adore was always headed by a strong leader figure and the games of Vanillaware certainly belong to this category. In the case of Muramasa I think the cohesiveness of the game stems also from the huge japanese art and narrative tradition Kamitani and the team is drawing from. The cat avatar for example can be traced back to a print by Utagawa Yoshifuji, see this site:

http://kiritz.jp/2012/08/utagawa-yoshifuji/

As a side thought, while I like my Vita, I really wish I could play this game on anything else. :) I appreciate the colorful, detailed visuals on the OLED, but I'd appreciate them perhaps even more on my 42 inch. Beyond that, the sound of the game is a bit muddled, (even if I use headphones) and I'm sorta blaming the hardware for that.

I think the game is compatible with the PSVITA tv. Don't know how nice it looks on a big screen but it might be a good opportunity to replay this beautiful game once the console launches in the west.

Her third form is the Avatar, basically a demon form for Okoi or Miike. This is a pretty cool difference for Okoi's playstyle, instead of three swords it's three forms. You have heavy damage (Okoi) fast and fierce (Miike) and Tank mode (Avatar) in Avatar form you're completely invincible and deal heavy amounts of damage with two different types of attacks. However the two types of Avatar you transform into are dependent on what form you are in when you switch to it. If you are in Okoi form, you transform into this giant cat demon that deals damage with her humongous claw swipes, or curl up in a giant swirling ball of death and bounce around the screen.

Great write-up and thanks for the heads up about the Monster Cat! I normally always switched from Miike and thus haven’t noticed the two forms.

joe2187

Banned
So i just updated the new patch 1.01 and it had errors, the main game (not DLC) loses sound effect (like Monohime's sound when she jumps or slashed, same for the enemy) but the voice in cutscene is still normal.
http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/39927

sr for my bad English :(

Can confirm that this is happening to me as well.

i might be losing my mind, but i cannot find this DLC when i start the game, what am i doing wrong?

You have to update the game first. check the home screen for the update.

BOUGHT. love Muramasa. I often pause just to look at whats going on on the oled screen! Anyone know, or hear any rumors of Muramsa or Dragons crown is coming to the ps4? I saw a dragon's crown trailer being played on the Ps4 display at best buy.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Okoi is a breathe of fresh air compared to Momohime/Keisuke who play similar to eachother.

I'm stuck on the second boss though. Its
second last form with the two long neck head things keep screwing me over with fire and those constant shockwaves.
I managed to beat it when I turned it down to Legend but I want to beat it on Chaos. Level 25 currently.

So far I think it's definitely worth the $4.99. Okoi is an awesome addition to the game. I'm also really looking forward to the other DLC characters.

Jobbs

Banned
I played all of Momohime in the original game on Chaos. It was tough, I died a lot on some bosses, and I grinded some, but it was doable.

I very quickly found Chaos to be.. well, too friggin hard. I couldn't get passed the first fight. :) Went down to normal mode and the first fight was STILL tough, but I won.

I guess I'm saying.. This DLC seems to be much harder than the originaol game.

Shengar

Good to see such positive response. It seems Vanillaware managed to deliver their promise. That's remind me to actually finish the game lol

Valkyria

Banned
Though just to let everyone know, Muramasa Rebirth is currently on sale on the Euro PSN store for 50% off for normal users and 60% off for PS PLUS users until 1/22 :)

Do you know if we are gonna get a all DLC pack once every character is available? I wold like to have them all and I don't know if it makes too much sense to buy each one alone.

I ended up beating this on Chaos a few days ago(both endings), and I have to say that was a lot of content they crammed in. Definitely worth the pricetag for me; I had a blast.

Some general tips/opinions
  • Monster Cat > Avatar until late into post-game where you get the fireball upgrade
  • Whetstones are still OP for Okoi form
  • Heavily abuse the amount of time you can stay airborne to avoid incoming damage(you have like two jumps and three airdashes, stagger them out) -- This is great when you need to charge fireballs with Miike
  • The skill upgrades on the tech tree all require Spirit only; you can sort-of-prioritize and beeline for them first, which I recommend

entremet

I'm so tempted to get a Vita just to replay this and Dragons Crown on a OLED screen. Muramasa is my favorite game from the Wii only bummer playing on Vita is no nunchuck control which is the way it was meant to be played.

Dragon's Crown is a bit disappointing due to frame drops :(

It is nice portable, though.

Aaaand bought. It's cool because one of our cats is a calico, so it's like seeing mini versions of her all around the screen. :D

I'm so tempted to get a Vita just to replay this and Dragons Crown on a OLED screen. Muramasa is my favorite game from the Wii only bummer playing on Vita is no nunchuck control which is the way it was meant to be played.

Definitely worth it. For Dragon's Crown you can upload your save and just continue right from where you left, and they recently added a new random dungeon with cool stuff like giant versions of enemies and equipment that gives extra attacks while riding sabertooths/dracolisks. Still have to beat that nasty Infernal Ancient Dragon myself, though.

Oh, and I'm super-sensible to framerate (I'm a 60 FPS nazi, basically) and I found the Vita version almost identical to the PS3 version. Thing is, I'm playing solo (no AI) 100% of the time, so that might account for it.

As for Muramasa, I hated its Wii controls (up to jump? fucking seriously?) and playing it on the Vita it's like a different game. But most importantly, the story makes sense now! (as in, it's not just a collection of characters talking about seemingly unrelated things, but an actual story and stuff). I don't know, I might just have stopped caring due to the terrible, stilted prose in the Wii version, but I'm actually enjoying the story in the Vita version.

Celegus

Whoa.. there's people out there that liked the Wii controls? I thought they were just understood to be a necessary evil in order to play a fantastic game.

Whoa.. there's people out there that liked the Wii controls? I thought they were just understood to be a necessary evil in order to play a fantastic game.

Get a Classic Controller. Excellent control scheme right there.
But I would still get the Vita version if I had a Vita.

They were still crap and you could not change them. Vita version is the way to play the game.

Yeah, I love how configurable it is. For those who haven't tried it, not only can you remap every control, but even stuff like binding a button to Block (default is hold Attack), or bind a button to Dodge. I bound R to Dodge, the d-pad to movement, the left analog to Select Item, and L to Use Item (I kept touching the analog accidentally). I have to experiment with binding Block to a button and see if it's more consistent/quicker, especially for charged attacks.

BTW, I'm loving the DLC. As expected, Okoi plays more differently to Momohime or Kisuke than the latter two to each other, and the animation of the Avatar modes is awesome, especially the cat head made of cats which is frankly too cool. I also love how fast she is. I really disliked the long katanas of vanilla Muramasa; they're not nearly powerful enough to compensate for how slow they are, they leave you wide open. But Okoi has no slow mode! Her slowest mode (Okoi herself) is as fast as the short swords of Muramasa, and Miike is super fast (although obviously does low damage). They also feel very different to each other. All in all a great addition.

Playing this afternoon ( finally )the animation is beautifull heck the entire game is freaking beautifull.
I'm starting the final act now.
The boss of act 2 was kinda overwhelming ... muramasa had tough boss , but not such a amount of challenge on a row.

is that normal that i have white barriers on my path ? whille i be able to break them or is it the limit of the new dlc content ?

SonicTHP

Neo Member
Patch 1.02 correcting sound issues, missing subtitles, and other issues is up.

I haven't touched the main story since the patch, so it's back to 3rd ending hunting for me.

Zhao_Yun

Just seen that the new patch already included the trophies for the upcoming 2nd DLC so I guess it shouldn't take too long for the next one to be released?

bryt

Anyone with patch 1.02 able to unlock the trophies for endings? I beat the DLC and didn't get the trophy for finishing it and I've read other people didn't get the trophy for beating Fury mode or seeing all endings either. The other trophies seem fine though as I unlocked the speedrun trophy and monster cat trophy no problem.

Top Bottom