• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdoch: Since when are Egyptians not white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Well, were the Egyptian during the supposed time of Moses more of the middle eastern Egyptian or the Nubian Egyptian?

I thought ancient Egyptians looked like a combination of arab and black. A wide array of colors. Never thought they would be white.

Soriku

I am Egyptian, and I can confirm, I am not white.

I am Egyptian too, and I can confirm, I am white.

wSvoup5.gif

OK maybe not.

Valhelm

contribute something
Well, were the Egyptian during the supposed time of Moses more of the middle eastern Egyptian or the Nubian Egyptian?

There probably was not a real Moses, but Ramesses II was known to have had red hair. Still, that says nothing about his skin tone.

Fascinating read. But in the end the question is moot - race as we discuss it today is a modern invention, and it's fruitless to try to retroactively pigeonhole ancient peoples into contemporary conventions.

Yeah. And once you step out of the white-black dichotomy, race is incredibly arbitrary, often based more on perception and culture than appearance or genetics. Many Egyptians (or Westerners of Egyptian descent) either identify as white or are considered white and many identify as brown. There's really no way to define the difference between a white person and a brown person.

Some people who weren't going to see it before will now see it out of spite

Some who already thought this was suspect will feel it's even worse

We are split like the Red Sea

Or maybe it was white?

Why are people so concerned about the ethnicities of fictional characters? Do people not realise that the entire story of Exodus is categorically false?

Don't get me wrong, there is some pretty clear white washing here, but it strikes me as pretty pedantic that people would waive their fingers and go "no, no, no, this magical story about snakes and plagues and physics defying water is entirely out of touch with the reality that the people who didn't partake in these fictional events were quite possibly of a slightly darker skin tone, that won't do at all!"

SMH

royalan

...I can't get over the fact that Rupert Murdoch has a Twitter account. That he actually updates...

That would be like Darth Vader having a Twitter account.

Fascinating read. But in the end the question is moot - race as we discuss it today is a modern invention, and it's fruitless to try to retroactively pigeonhole ancient peoples into contemporary conventions.

The contemporary conventions of race determining a caste system sure. But the actual dominant race of people who lived in that era? It's completely valid.

ISOM

The contemporary conventions of race determining a caste system sure. But the actual dominant race of people who lived in that era? It's completely valid.

Agreed, it's like someone arguing that the Ancient Greeks weren't white or that they were indian. People shouldn't be allowed to tell historical fiction in the name of convenience.

EBE

Queen Tiye, wife of Egyptian pharaoh Amenhotep III, mother of Akhenaten and grandmother of Tutankhamun.

maybe once the Ptolemaic Dynasty hits youve got an argument?

beautiful bust, by the way. think its way nicer than Nerfertiti's

Valhelm

contribute something
gotta say the Ancient Egypt did a much better paint job on their statues than the Ancient Greek

Greek statues were gaudy as fuck.

Why are people so concerned about the ethnicities of fictional characters? Do people not realise that the entire story of Exodus is categorically false?

Don't get me wrong, there is some pretty clear white washing here, but it strikes me as pretty pedantic that people would waive their fingers and go "no, no, no, this magical story about snakes and plagues and physics defying water is entirely out of touch with the reality that the people who didn't partake in these fictional events were quite possibly of a slightly darker skin tone, that won't do at all!"

SMH

It's just weird and kind of annoying. Nearly every movie about Egypt casts Northern European actors as those parts, even though it would be very difficult to find anyone in Ancient Egypt who looked just like Christian Bale. There were probably people who looked sort of white in that society, but they certainly weren't the majority. Why are there no movies about Egypt in which all of the actors are Black? There were lots of very dark people in Egypt. That's no less inaccurate than an all-white cast.

It's also pretty creepy that most of the dark-skinned characters are relegated to the background:

exodus-gods-and-kings.jpeg

SMH

This

Valhelm

contribute something

Eh. The Egyptians didn't have an idea of race. They recognized observable differences between people, but race as we know it is a product of the early modern slave trade.

They recognized that Libyans and Hebrews were lighter than Nubians, and that they themselves were an intermediate, but the image is inaccurate. They didn't say that "the Libyan tribes are white". All we know is that they depicted them as lighter than Egyptians.

EBE

i dont even believe in the historicity of Moses as leader of the Israelite people during the supposed exodus out of egypt. egyptian sources simply do not corroborate the story because there are no egyptian sources.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From what I've read, it's still very much in the air and inconclusive what the race of Ancient Egyptians were for a multitude of reasons (shoddy evidence from paintings, which is also the stupidest proof people try to use, the area being a nexus for different cultures, etc.).

It's an incredibly dumb debate in general, to be honest, and I think it serves absolutely no purpose today outside of trying to push whatever race agenda you align with.

Chichikov

He probably remembers.

SMH
X6rr6Lq.jpg

SMH indeed.

HeelPower

Its very difficult to determine that.

But I think they were a bit of both.The ancient art and drawings seem to suggest that(I amNOT an expert)

...I can't get over the fact that Rupert Murdoch has a Twitter account. That he actually updates...

That would be like Darth Vader having a Twitter account.

like you wouldn't believe how charming and nice he comes off in real life either. It's fucking weird as shit.

He probably remembers.

X6rr6Lq.jpg

SMH indeed.

I think his point is that criticizing the historical accuracy of this is kind of weird considering it's a completely made up story to begin with. Of course, people like Murdoch are complete idiots.

Edit: That picture above is certainly sending uncomfortable messages though

royalan

Greek statues were gaudy as fuck.

It's just weird and kind of annoying. Nearly every movie about Egypt casts Northern European actors as those parts, even though it would be very difficult to find anyone in Ancient Egypt who looked just like Christian Bale. There were probably people who looked sort of white in that society, but they certainly weren't the majority. Why are there no movies about Egypt in which all of the actors are Black? There were lots of very dark people in Egypt. That's no less inaccurate than an all-white cast.

It's also pretty creepy that most of the dark-skinned characters are relegated to the background:

exodus-gods-and-kings.jpeg

I mean, like...how does this even make sense as an image?

EBE

Forgive my ignorance ,but was Moses actually Egyptian ?

unlikely. if he even existed at all he was, in my opinion, almost certainly a Canaanite. of course, he would have been eqyptian in the sense that he was a subject to its rule.

Valhelm

contribute something
Look at this shit, how will this NOT breed controversy. The racial contrast between the guards and masters right their is blinding.

I think it was actually a very poorly-planned attempt at diversity. Since the announcement, there was outcry about the lack of black and brown actors in the main cast. So, hoping to stave off further criticism, somebody high up probably insisted on hiring minorities for other roles.

Chichikov

I think his point is that criticizing the historical accuracy of this is kind of weird considering it's a completely made up story to begin with.
And my point is that the more important issue here is how black people are portrayed in films and the type of roles black actors can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom