• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvC3-Gamestop accidently confirms Jill Valentine and Shuma Gorath as DLC Characters

v0yce

notworksafe said:
Isn't that also just your opinions? Who looks at box art for more than about 10 seconds before taking a game out and playing it anyway?

Some whiner on GAF does, I'm sure

We're talking about a game that's a mash up of beloved characters. Heck, half the roster is from comic books, and you wonder why people would be interested in the cover art? Really?

V_Arnold

Boxart with actually drawn art >>>>>>>>>>>> Ingame models.

Thanks Capcom for bringing the better for us. Usually I understand the love for japanese boxarts because they are better. They wont be better because they are japanese though. Imho.

V_Arnold said:
Not always. I'd take MegaMan 1 sprite work on my box over the hand-drawn North American NES cover, and similarly, I'd take in-game MvC3 models over the hand drawn cover.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
V_Arnold said:

Thanks Capcom for bringing the better for us. Usually I understand the love for japanese boxarts because they are better. They wont be better because they are japanese though. Imho.

Whos talking about Japanese?

Adi Granov, the cover artist here is AMAZING. The problem comes when hes not ASKED to design a cover, but simply make 15 or whatever character illustrations and then somebody at Marvel collages the characters together and voila, we have a game cover!

Its not about where you're from, its about giving the artist doing the work the freedom to design the cover as well.

Nemesis_

v0yce said:
We're talking about a game that's a mash up of beloved characters. Heck, half the roster is from comic books, and you wonder why people would be interested in the cover art? Really?

I dunno. I can't say I'm looking forward to MvsC3 to see my favourite Marvel and Capcom characters locked in battle IN ARTWORK!!!!!!111!!

This will be the second limited edition purchase I make this generation (Metroid prime trilogy was the first)and the first(hopefully last) $70 game I've EVER bought.

All so that I don't get the normal cover.

SolarPowered said:
This will be the second limited edition purchase I make this generation (Metroid prime trilogy was the first)and the first(hopefully last) $80 game I've EVER bought.

All so that I don't get the normal cover.
The LE is $70, not $80!

_dementia said:
The LE is $70, not $80!
I read it as $80 and I'd STILL pay that.:lol

I'd pay the $80 if they packed the soundtrack in too.
Raging Spaniard said:

Adi Granov, the cover artist here is AMAZING. The problem comes when hes not ASKED to design a cover, but simply make 15 or whatever character illustrations and then somebody at Marvel collages the characters together and voila, we have a game cover!

Its not about where you're from, its about giving the artist doing the work actually design the cover as well.
It's a shame because this guy's artwork seems pretty solid. It seems like they didn't give him much to work with because it's a real step down from his work on google.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Raging Spaniard said:

Its not about where you're from, its about giving the artist doing the work actually design the cover as well.
And this is why Raging Spaniard should've been hired to do it.

Stupid Capcom.

Raging Spaniard said:

Eh, Granov draws great mech, especially one of the very best Iron Mans, but his anatomy work isn't spectacular and facial expressions leave a lot to be desired. I understand your point though and the cover would have been far better if they went to one of their artists and were like "make us a badass illustration for this cover!" It's quite obvious that wasn't the case and someone on their marketing/design team thought they could come up with a passable composition.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SolarPowered said:
It's a shame because this guy's artwork seems pretty solid. It seems like they didn't give him much to work with because it's a real step down from his work on google.

Like I said, Im pretty much certain he didnt do the actual cover, he just made character drawings and then somebody else put the separate pieces together in Photoshop in that arrangement, added some shitty effects, etc.

Seeing Adi's previous compositional work basically confirms it.

enzo_gt said:
And this is why Raging Spaniard should've been hired to do it.

Stupid Capcom.

Aw thanks, but lets let people like Akiman design covers <3

bobbyflay

Neo Member
so it's probably the same poor bastard that was given a pile of art and asked to craft the super street fighter 4 cover as well. Clearly that worked out so well for them.

Capcom, this modular bullshit may look good on paper (hey, we can swap in unannounced characters later!) but it doesn't look professional whatsoever. Get a REAL ARTIST to compose the god damn cover, not an intern that's usually laying out text in your ad department.

v0yce

Does anyone know of a MvC3 fan art contest? I think I saw mention of the SE having an art book with some select fan pieces or something.

V_Arnold

Raging Spaniard said:

Its not about where you're from, its about giving the artist doing the work the freedom to design the cover as well.

I do not know if it is considered artistic freedom or simply Capcom had ONE style in mind with the characters and another with the covers. In the comic book world, and I am pretty sure you know this already, totally different covers are often drawn by artists who draw 0 panels at the actual issue in that week. So I do not see the problem, and while do not really "love" the art design ingame, I am quite fond of the one found in the U.S. cover, compared to the japanese one, which simply uses the ingame art.

Raging Spaniard said:
Aw thanks, but lets let people like Akiman design covers <3

jAEnc.jpg

Amen. While I don't particularly like the way it was cropped, this is how you do a fucking character cluster.

Dahbomb

v0yce said:
Does anyone know of a MvC3 fan art contest? I think I saw mention of the SE having an art book with some select fan pieces or something.
Yeah there was one:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jaycbaby/blog/2010/11/04/marvel_vs_capcom_3_fan-art_contest:_paint_with_greatness!

The due date is gone for entries though.

Raging Spaniard

Dahbomb said:
Yeah there was one:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jaycbaby/blog/2010/11/04/marvel_vs_capcom_3_fan-art_contest:_paint_with_greatness!

Bah, I always miss these. I need to hire myself a secretary :\

MisterHero

I'm not a huge fan of either right now, but maybe a cool cover would be where Capcom characters painted in Shinkiro's style fighting Marvel characters painted by Alex Ross. Or vice-versa. Like the dual styles in the Capcom vs SNK, or even TvC where the art was by Shinkiro and the game had cutscenes by Tatsunoko.

But 2 things against it though:

-neither theirs or the current box arts represent the actual graphical style with ink lines
-Mortal Kombat vs. DC already used Alex Ross

maybe when Super MvC3 or MvC4 rolls around though :p

Dahbomb said:
Yeah there was one:

No, it's until midnight tonight. I just sent my entry a minute ago. It's pretty bad, I drank like 3 four lokos last night and started photoshopping the whole thing with only the pen tool. After 10 hours of work, I was psyched and went to bed. I woke up and found a child's finger painting inside my computer. four loco is not Bob Ross in a can.

N4Us

_dementia said:
Yeah everyone's been clamoring for more Giants in vs games.

Marn yells at the Evo staff loudly as his opponent chooses Godzilla at the Evo2k11 MvC3 Grand Finals.

What a depressing bump. I saw this thread and immediately assumed there was some exciting news about MvC3.

*sighs and leaves thread*

Top Bottom