• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvCI DLC characters announced: Monster Hunter (F), Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Venom

Seiniyta

Like I said though. Months before release SFV confirmed its season 1 pass characters on stage at PSX. No gameplay or anything, just who they are and a peek at some key art. They could have done the same here at, say, Gamescom. The fact that they're announcing them right before launch, i.e. at the very last minute, in a pure text PR release just makes them seem like they weren't prepared. It's just like how they were forced to reveal characters like Firebrand and Dormammu unceremoniously because some comic covers came out. It makes them seem like they got caught with their pants down and are revealing things because they were backed into a corner, instead of confidently and clearly revealing things on their own accord.

Safe? Sure. Doesn't exactly reflect the most flatteringly on them and it's in total contrast with what they've done with every other fighting game up to this point.

Didn't they show just silhouettes? With the characters being leaked through the beta files?

Lulubop

Thankfully it doesn't have a fight money system.

It's fine if you're a casual player but if not, you end up paying more in the long run because of the purchasble stages along with added barriers such as the content only being accessible from one account.

The fM system is Great, everything in this game is gonna be priced the same as sfv anyway at least in that game is easy enough to earn a character.

Didn't they show just silhouettes? With the characters being leaked through the beta files?

They did the silhouettes at some conference (I dunno, Paris Games Week or Gamescom or something). Then the characters leaked, at least some of them. After that, Ono came on stage and outright confirmed who the DLC characters were at PSX (I believe), revealing their unsilhouetted artwork. I might've misremembered some of that but we definitely knew all the season 1 characters officially by PSX 2015.

Ryce

I can't help but feel that Black Widow was moved up from 2018 in an attempt to combat gender representation criticism, which was a major talking point when the roster leaked.

Spy

The fM system is Great, everything in this game is gonna be priced the same as sfv anyway at least in that game is easy enough to earn a character.
A character, yes. All of the characters, no. Someone who plays fighting games competitively values having a complete roster. If Capcom would have instead released a $40 Super Street Fighter V, we would have received all of the characters and stages plus additional costumes as well as not having our content being locked to one account. Far more ideal, imo.

I purchased both season passes yet I don't have enough fight money to buy all of the stages and my little brother can't access the content I bought even though his name is on my PS4.

Lulubop

I can't help but feel that Black Widow was moved up from 2018 in an attempt to combat gender representation criticism, which was a major talking point when the roster leaked.
I agree, also Vemon feels weird too. Have they stopped using New characters to describe the DLC? I don't remember seeing them use it after E3.

^that characters are easy enough to get, you can still buy them at the same price every fighting sells them and that this game will. I can get all characters and never spend anything, choice is good.

I-hate-u

Seriously though why only 2 Capcom characters?

It feels very patronizing towards Marvel. It's almost like Capcom is disrespecting of devaluing themselves actually as if they're lesser.

Veedot

Alternate costume? But thats her regular costume >_>
I'm assuming her default will be similar to this:

IMG_0431png.png

Jawmuncher

IMO I'm thinking this as well. Which is why it's uneven

Thankfully it doesn't have a fight money system.

It's fine if you're a casual player but if not, you end up paying more in the long run because of the purchasble stages along with added barriers such as the content only being accessible from one account.
There are literally zero positives to not having FM in this game. It's the exact same system except now your time investment isn't rewarded anywhere near as much.

Seriously though why only 2 Capcom characters?

It feels very patronizing towards Marvel. It's almost like Capcom is disrespecting of devaluing themselves actually as if they're lesser.

Capcom is much lesser.

Make Marvel Super Heroes 2 instead of a crossover.

Even if Black Widow was moved up, you would think they would pull back a Marvel character, rather than a Capcom one.

The amount of street level Marvel characters here is bugging me a bit though.

Jawmuncher

Umm, they could have a Capcom female figther instead of boring Widow

I'm thinking there's some sort of gender parity for females going on. Which is why we got only 4 in the base roster. since capcom could've picked up a lot of slack even with vets from mvc3

A character, yes. All of the characters, no. Someone who plays fighting games competitively values having a complete roster. If Capcom would have instead released a $40 Super Street Fighter V, we would have received all of the characters and stages plus additional costumes as well as not having our content being locked to one account. Far more ideal, imo.

I purchased both season passes yet I don't have enough fight money to buy all of the stages and my little brother can't access the content I bought even though his name is on my PS4.

100% agree. If there was a SSFV I would have bought the game already.

Spy

There are literally zero positives to not having FM in this game. It's the exact same system except now your time investment isn't rewarded anywhere near as much.
Having your content being locked to one account is a pretty big deal. Other users on your PS4 can't access the additional characters even if you bought the season pass and should you ever make a new PSN account, say goodbye to that content.

Spy

A super would just be season 2, how does this even make sense? You want reveal of the fM system because the season pass doesn't include stages? Like what?
Uh, you realize you can't feasibly earn all of the characters with fight money, right? You would need 1,200,000 FM. And having all of the stages is a pretty big deal to non-casuals.

atmuh

fm would have been better if they didn't take it as an excuse to gouge you for anything and everything in the game but at its core I did appreciate being able to unlock characters without paying extra. this game is gonna cost stupid amounts of money to have everything over time and there's no way around that

OsirisBlack

Banned
I smell a fuck up on that announcement, there are 4 Marvel characters and only 2 Capcom.

Black Panther, Venom, Winter Soldier, Black Widow
Sigma, Monster Hunter?
Definitely not a fuck up it seems they don't want to announce the last capcom character. Hopefully the suspense is worth it.

Lulubop

Uh, you realize you can't feasibly earn all of the characters with fight money, right? You would need 1,200,000 FM. And having all of the stages is a pretty big deal to non-casuals.

So what's my only option should be paying out of pocket?

Jawmuncher

The closest thing to Regina that Jawmuncher will ever get

I'm hoping this doesn't hurt Regina's chances. Hopefully capcom is more like "Marvel has a redhead and so do we. Lets add her in as our side". Rather than "Black Widow fills the redhead quota. Looks like you lose again Regina".

kunonabi

Super stoked to have Black Widow if the following is true:

Short hair alt
takes MVC3 Jill's function so we never have see that garbage again.

Monster Hunter and Venom are awesome, don't really care about Winter Soldier

Spy

fm would have been better if they didn't take it as an excuse to gouge you for anything and everything in the game but at its core I did appreciate being able to unlock characters without paying extra. this game is gonna cost stupid amounts of money to have everything over time and there's no way around that
I would be fine with FM if the season pass included all of the stages for the season and your content wasn't locked to one user but this is Capcom we're talking about and in the long run, the Fight Money system is causing me to paying more money.

Sesha

I'm hoping this doesn't hurt Regina's chances. Hopefully capcom is more like "Marvel has a redhead and so do we. Lets add her in as our side". Rather than "Black Widow fills the redhead quota. Looks like you lose again Regina".

Knowing some of the weird excuses for 3, this could actually happen.

Classic Bucky costume pls.
Almost def coming soon. Can't wait to see if they take liberties like they have every other costume.

Wasn't there supposed to be an Xmen characters dlc or something?
Next year.

So what's my only option should be paying out of pocket?

"If I can't get everything, I don't want any of it."

Viper's a redhead and already has usable assets. Sorry Regina.

Black Widow is unexpected but i take it.

Guess Wave 2 gonna be 2 Marvel and 4 Capcom characters to even it out.

Also did anyone else realize that all 4 Marvel characters wear/are black? So much about color variety.

Jawmuncher

Black Widow is unexpected but i take it.

Guess Wave 2 gonna be 2 Marvel and 4 Capcom characters to even it out.

Also did anyone else realize that all 4 Marvel characters wear/are black? So much about color variety.

Wonder if they'll try to keep Venom Blue to offset that

Top Bottom