• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVG: Xbox has lost its way

Everyone putting pressure on MS I see. Cant be good for them with all these videos and articles. I’m sure they are feeling pressure .

They need to restructure how they sell games and do away with Gamepass next gen and have Exclusives ready if they want to compete again .

I’m loving the pressure on them tho. Want to see how they respond and do

Everyone putting pressure on MS I see. Cant be good for them with all these videos and articles. I’m sure they are feeling pressure .

They need to restructure how they sell games and do away with Gamepass next gen and have Exclusives ready if they want to compete again .

I’m loving the pressure on them tho. Want to see how they respond and do
You really think there's a next gen for Microsoft? They're obviously beginning the process of winding things down

midnightAI

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

Kurotri

True that may be, but in what form?
That's the question! All we have right now are rumors of another big power-oriented console like the Series X, alongside a handheld console, with I think both (?) enabling sideloading. So you have the opportunity to get Steam, Epic and what not on there and get games running. So..kinda like an Xbox-branded PC? Kinda confused there myself to be honest.

ReyBrujo

Who's this guy?

Someone who was complaining about not making enough money anymore from YouTube (?)

Xbox never had a path. Microsoft created it on a hurry to prevent Sony from becoming the living room de facto platform. And has been tumbling since then.
To clarify: Gaming was his Trojan horse to get their platform everywhere to then become a media center but when trying to jump it failed and now it's in muddy waters.

Last edited:

SHA

If people can't think of more than 3 games at the same time then what kind of restructuring is going to help with this post pandemic situation? I think we should see what these sub 30 studios have been working on and the progress of all these games in development.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Well, the thing is that the media as a whole has been bashing their heads against Xbox since like forever, predicting it's end every once in a while. But they're still selling a respectable amount of consoles and games even, although not as much as Sony.

So I find it a bit ironic to see them saying Xbox has lost it's way when every move MS makes are met with the overall same response.

But yeah. I don't really think they ever had much of a focus. They're always changing their plans, and trying different routes, and it might have hurt the brand long term (and also might have saved it in other circumstances too).

They fucked up about Tango. That I definitely agree. But I will just wait and see the direction they will take, and what comes from it, because there isn't much left to do anyway.

However, as a consumer I'm not really worried. As soon as I believe Xbox has nothing to offer me I go to PC, Playstation, Nintendo, or whatever I feel like.

Last edited:

SHA

Someone who was complaining about not making enough money anymore from YouTube (?)

Xbox never had a path. Microsoft created it on a hurry to prevent Sony from becoming the living room de facto platform. And has been tumbling since then.
To clarify: Gaming was his Trojan horse to get their platform everywhere to then become a media center but when trying to jump it failed and now it's in muddy waters.
The decision to make xbox happened internally, it won't go away, xbox exist with pc, that'll also hurt the PC gaming industry if it happens, it's too risky to pull the trigger.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If you are gonna do an opinion piece you can't go making $2 billion errors.
"Is the PlayStation brand dead? They made no profit in the 2023 holiday season"
* correction they actually made $2 billion in profit.

you think? what I think is that there is an unprecedented media attempt to kill Xbox and with fake concern number 874884728 to hate on all things Xbox.

The beginning of the Xbox One generation, Microsoft made decisions that were good for profit but bad for people.

The entire brand tanked.

Xbox then changed their entire strategy and started to regain trust. Xbox also started to buy developers and there was hope that great new games are coming.

Now Microsoft made decisions that are good for profit but bad for people. It’s unfortunate that this new direction comes just as the old vision was about to deliver.

The entire brand is getting dragged through the mud and it doesn’t take a genius to see the damage to the Xbox has been considerable.

Microsoft will have another Xbox for next generation but I bet the sales will be half of what the series consoles were. This will lead to Microsoft abandoning consoles for future generations.

TLDR - Xbox executives are making the same mistakes as they did during the Xbox One launch and they are going to get fucked.

Romulus

They're never going to match sony in the visuals department. Just accept it like Nintendo has. Most switch games look like they'd run on the original Xbox or 360 anyway, but no one cares because the library is solid.

Boss Mog

XBOX 360 was amazing, it was ahead of the PS3 in almost every department and instead of building on that, they completely fucked up the XBOX ONE. I didn't wanna blame Phil for that because he inherited that shit show. I thought he'd turn it around with the next box but it was a shit-show from the get go with the inclusion of the Series S and it only got worse from there and here we are today with a brand that has lost all its appeal.

Fox Mulder

MS surely moves to third party in a couple years. The Xbox has really struggled since the XB1 and now the internet is finally turning on Phil Spencer. Xbox is seen as the asshole corporate jerks again after like a decade of trying to rebuild goodwill after Mattrick. Even another console generation probably won’t change anything.

Shareholders and Nadella will want results from the money spent on Activision.

Last edited:

XXL

Lets revisit this in about 18 months as I think MS is changing tactics since they are tired of getting their teeth kicked in sales wise
I was reading on a few different places that Welfare (sales guy) was saying the PS5 is outselling the Xbox Series consoles at Walmart in the US at a rate of 6:1 (recently) and this was prior to this week's news breaking. So all indicators would suggest it is going to be even worse going forward.

If this is true (at all), they're aren't going to be launching anything and thing are going to change way fucking faster than people thought they would.

Last edited:
Top Bottom