• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My car was just totalled. What do?

lem0n

Just got the call from Progressive that my Civic Si is done for. She's a 2007 so I'm not too surprised. They just asked for permission to pick it up so they can check it out and come up with a figure to offer me as compensation. I'm concerned they won't offer what I paid for it. Are there any steps I can take to make sure I get what I want for it, or close? I just put brand new tires on it 2 days before the accident. Never been in this situation before and my adjuster is not helpful at all.

Thanks everyone

SoloCamo

Any recent work done, including tires, as long as you have the receipt they will add it in (assuming the agent isn't a hard arse about it). That said, you will have a fight on your hands, insurance companies will low ball you and nit pick every little thing to justify the lower offer. Good luck.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
That suuuucks. Hope you get enough to be able to get an equivalent car, have used car prices gotten reasonable again?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They will give you comps to justify what they offer you. Just do a search to make sure they are reasonable. But basically they have you by the balls unless you can do without that car for awhile or your insurance covers a long term rental.

lem0n

They will give you comps to justify what they offer you. Just do a search to make sure they are reasonable. But basically they have you by the balls unless you can do without that car for awhile or your insurance covers a long term rental.
This is what a couple friends were telling me. I will be checking to make sure their comps are worth a shit. I can do without it, sure, I got it to pile miles on for work because my 5.0 GT is a thirsty bitch.

lem0n

Ah OK, I misread your post. Your still only likely to get today's list value, minus whatever profit the seller made from you.
No sweat. I think I paid a fair price for it so I'm crossing my fingers I don't lose too much here. We will know soon👍

lem0n

That suuuucks. Hope you get enough to be able to get an equivalent car, have used car prices gotten reasonable again?
I hope so too. I just bought this for what I thought was reasonable, but it's still high as compared to what car prices were a few years ago. Si models hold their value a little better than an LX or whatever so I'm hoping that plays out in my favor.

Not a Honda.😢

R.I.P

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

8bitpill

Not that this is going to make you feel good.

Our 2019 VW Tiguan hit a buck back in November of last year. It was estimated to be $5600 for repairs from the insurance adjuster. We had it towed to the local VW collision place. It sat there for almost three months before it was finished. The final total to repair it from the collision center was $14K. We only had to pay the deductible, $1K. I think that auto adjuster didn't do their homework and hopefully you don't get a similar one.

JEdC4y.gif

mclaren777

Can you share pictures of the damage? It would be great if we could keep it from the scrap yard.

Someone might want it for a Lemons/Lucky Dog race.

lem0n

I definitely would NOT let the insurance company keep it!

What seems to be the biggest limitation to drivability?
Honestly? I drove it to work about 2 miles away after the wreck. The issue is that the fenders are out of alignment, the A/C condenser, radiator and crash bar are all busted. Not to mention the obvious exterior damage you see. I think I'm going to be buying it back, flipping it to someone that wants to have a cheap Si to fix up, and use the profits to get something interesting again. I miss driving RHD cars, they're a bucket of fun in the US because of the funny looks and smiles everyone has when they notice. Or if I can find a white FA5 Si again I would do that in a heartbeat too.

lem0n

Update for the possible one person aside from me that cares lol: insurance paid me $100 more than what I paid for the car. I'm technically in the red because of the tires I just put on it but all things considered I'm content with the outcome.

Top Bottom