• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my neighbour being unreasonable?

About a year ago our upstairs neighbour left a note complaining about the noise my kid makes.

Two things: at first I thought it has been sent through the wrong letterbox, because they are hardly silent. They scream at their kid in a way that is genuinely upsetting. Second, I didn't realise sound traveled upstairs enough to annoy people. Everything I see online is people moaning about their upstairs neighbour, not downstairs.

Anyway, at first I was outraged, but yeah... our kid is rambunctious to say the least. I have therefore tried to keep him calm in the early mornings and evenings.

Tonight he was going crazy, running up and down, up and down, up and down the length of the flat. I just let it happen for maybe 6-7 minutes. This is at 19:20. There was a knock at my door. Twice. I didn't answer because I don't see what good can come of this - I have had to log out of daytime Zoom meetings in the past because of their screaming and I don't want to turn this into a tit-for-tat. I do feel like a pussy now. I'm pretty sure my wife does too...

Is 19:30 an unreasonable hour for a kid to be running around like that? And not every night. I don't want to be one of those parents who think their kid does no wrong and I don't want some ridiculous conflict. My feeling is that anything before 20:00 is something you have to live with, as long as it's not a permanent fixture.

FeralEcho

If it's before 20:00 i think it's fine as long as it doesn't happen everyday...
My upstairs neighbour is killing me though as all i hear almost daily are pitterpatter or running from children and high pitched screams and laughter even at 10 pm.Its very annoying.

Mistake

Par for the course with apartments, even if it does happen every day. However the landlord can be held responsible if they get enough complaints and it interferes with a person's quality of living. I'd look up what the law says about noise in your area, since every state and even towns can have their own rules about it. I don't see a problem with before 8pm, but some people wake up at 4am, so who knows.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
When you choose to live in an apartment, you choose to accept that you're going to hear shit around the home.

You can make noise from 7AM to 11PM, they can say nothing, check your city for law about that, but that's usually the case.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When I was young, we weren’t just allowed to run up and down in the house making a fucking racket. People in apartments probably had a quieter life back then.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Kids will be kids and it's good to let them be kids but you gotta reign them in sometimes or they'll just go nuts, remember they're little narcissistic wee cunts and can't help it, but you can, you live surrounded by people on all sides so you gotta take that into consideration and if this is day in day out you're the one being a proper cunt not your kid.. I have a fairly large private back garden but other gardens back onto mine and I'll tell my lot to keep it down if they start yelling or making too much noise

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
What the hell is 19:30 in american. 7:30?

Hahaha honestly I don't think thats too late, that wouldn't bother me. They aren't trying to go to sleep then.

However if youre neighbor is gonna make a big deal out of it and you decide to go ahead try to keep your kids quiet... I would 100% start the tit-for-tat war with them.

Every time you hear their kids Id be up there returning the favor. They asked for it. They don't get to have their cake and eat it too.

I knew this would be another thread about aggressively not talking to the neighbours.

Next update is OP complaining that his idiot neighbours called social services because they thought his kid had been left home alone.

badblue

Is 19:30 an unreasonable hour for a kid to be running around like that? And not every night.
Frequency matters.

I totally understand kids can be noisy at times. One or twice a month I'm not going to mind too much. Once or Twice a week? At some point that would start to get on my nerves.

Winter John

Gold Member
When your kid starts getting rambunctious it's a sign he needs to be exercised. So what you wanna do is keep a tennis ball handy. When he gets to actin up, just open the back door, throw that ball as far as you can and let the little fucker chase after it.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
When your kid starts getting rambunctious it's a sign he needs to be exercised. So what you wanna do is keep a tennis ball handy. When he gets to actin up, just open the back door, throw that ball as far as you can and let the little fucker chase after it.
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Top Bottom