• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend just got his 360 banned, presumably for downloading Rayman Legends.

WinterXL

Neo Member
Is this the same guy who posted on trueachievements about having his Japanese console banned and unbanned? Because I don't trust anything that guy says...he also said he had some contacts at MS Osaka and they told him they were only banning dupe accounts, which turned out to be totally untrue.

That's the guy! I have known him for a number of years, and his friend was at Capcom (someone I am also good friends with and can vouch for). Capcom man was working with someone from MS Japan at the time of the ban wave and inquired about it. Everything he said on TA was legit and on the level. As far as what MS said, who knows with them. So many mixed messages, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

That's the guy! I have known him for a number of years, and his friend was at Capcom (someone I am also good friends with and can vouch for). Capcom man was working with someone from MS Japan at the time of the ban wave and inquired about it. Everything he said on TA was legit and on the level. As far as what MS said, who knows with them. So many mixed messages, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

He is the ONLY person who has ever claimed to be banned and unbanned. Sorry, I don't believe anything that guy has said so far...all this stuff about knowing someone at Capcom, talking to someone at MS Japan, it just comes off as the guy trying to make himself sound important. ESPECIALLY because the stuff he said about the bannings turned out to be totally untrue. I just don't buy it... :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just got this email back from him. His girlfriend is a public prosecutor -

"Nope. My girlfriend asked some of the guys at her office and they said it would not have been allowed under Japanese law since digital content is *not* leased here like in America. You buy it, you own it."

”As far as they could tell (without playing xbox) it's a binding agreement by MS to fulfill orders when you confirm the transaction. I cannot be held accountable for any mistake if I agree to what is laid out in front of me. Even though the content is from another territory, MS cannot do anything as I was still granted access to it. The law was changed last year. The clause was written in to protect users now that they are being pushed to digital purchasing."”

Again, neither he nor I have actually looked this up in any Japanese law books, but it is the only reason a group of Japanese public prosecutors and legal secretaries could come up with. Both his Oman and Moroccan accounts were banned and are still banned to this day, his console and the ill-gotten content however, is good. I have looked far and wide to see if anyone else was this fortunate and have come up with nothing.

If only everyone saw it this way too.

He should even pass on the good word about how it should be handled too.

Truespeed

Well my console was banned. My main account is fine. I did download Rayman as well as some of the other games from Oman. I was hoping I'd be spared, but I accept it. I still don't think it's the proper punishment, but it's futile to try and do anything about it now. Microsoft just lost a customer and the Windows Phone I just bought recently is going to be returned.

WinterXL

Neo Member
He is the ONLY person who has ever claimed to be banned and unbanned. Sorry, I don't believe anything that guy has said so far...all this stuff about knowing someone at Capcom, talking to someone at MS Japan, it just comes off as the guy trying to make himself sound important. ESPECIALLY because the stuff he said about the bannings turned out to be totally untrue. I just don't buy it... :(

Don't worry, you're entitled to your beliefs. If I didn't know him as well as I do, I would probably feel the same way too. It is true however, but to each their own.

Oh, and he definitely isn't important. We just happen to have a good friend with a good job lol, something I tell Capcom man I am quite envious of every time we chat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well my console was banned. My main account is fine. I did download Rayman as well as some of the other games from Oman. I was hoping I'd be spared, but I accept it. I still don't think it's the proper punishment, but it's futile to try and do anything about it now. Microsoft just lost a customer and the Windows Phone I just bought recently is going to be returned.
Were you just banned today?

zaphod79

Nope. The last time I was on was when I finished downloading Rayman some time ago.

Thanks for the clarification - I have been monitoring the various threads here and at other places and no one seems to have been banned for the Oman / Bosnia thing since last Friday (28th) - I know they often do these things in waves but it could just be that they have banned and stopped - it would be good to know.

UNCMark

Banned

Another lost customer due to Microsoft's own incompetence with their network. If you don't provide huge gaping holes, people won't drive through them. It's so stupid to ban for this.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with Microsoft after another six weeks.

I didn't download any of these, but would be pissed if I had and got banned for it. Stop being so damned incompetent if you don't want people to do this stuff.

Another lost customer due to Microsoft's own incompetence with their network. If you don't provide huge gaping holes, people won't drive through them. It's so stupid to ban for this.

Guess you missed the memo. Everyone who did this committed fraud, are thieves, this is the equivalent of murder, etc., etc.

PetrCobra

Jesus Christ, all these horror stories. I'm so never purchasing a Microsoft console, ever - unless it's an old relic just to play some old games not available anywhere else, offline.

Forsythia

Jesus Christ, all these horror stories. I'm so never purchasing a Microsoft console, ever - unless it's an old relic just to play some old games not available anywhere else, offline.

Yes, because it's quite easy to accidentally make an account for a different region, login with that account and search for specific games that are free because of an error.

It could happen to anyone!

On a more serious note, maybe it's a bit harsh to ban people doing this, but everyone doing this knew there was a risk. Some got lucky, some didn't.

vg260

What was the total value of the games you downloaded?

I really dont understand how MS is at fault?

You guys all agreed to their terms and tried to get a free game that you were not eligible for.

You tried to cheat the system and got caught.

Pretty simple imo.

yatesl

Again, this is less about Microsoft, and more about the terms in place for your digital purchases, and having access to them.

As far as I know, Steam are the only ones who do it right - If you get banned, even if it's for stealing/bouncing a charge/having an affair with Gabe's wife, you'll still have access to every game you've purchased, and you can still download them if they corrupt/you change hardware/whatever else.

zaphod79

How many are directly connected to downloading the Oman/Bosnia games?

There is no way of telling becuase Microsoft just tell you that your banned and give a short list of items including 'marketplace theft' , if everyone who said they have done nothing else wrong other than this is correct and they were banned for this glitch then its maybe somewhere around 50 - 80 people affected out of i'm sure hundreds or even thousands who took advantage.

One of the problems though is we dont know if its over , they could start next week and ban more.

You guys all agreed to their terms and tried to get a free game that you were not eligible for.

Pretty simple imo.

I dont think people are disputing that however the punishment levied for this seems to be out of proportion to the infringement.

Also although no-one on here has mentioned it the last batch of bannings seem to be for taking advantage of a 'get a month of live free' offer which microsoft were running that people used multiple times when it was mentioned somewhere on there that it was a single use only - some people knew this and exploited it to get as much as they could for free , others only used it a few times and did not realise there were not allowed to use it over and over

Truespeed

The free month of Gold is interesting because I did use it 3 times to renew at the end of the month. If I was banned for this than this is just incompetence on their part because they control the site and they should have implemented the necessary controls to limit its use. No where does it say that you cannot use it more than one time. It was like their own little honey pot.

Besides, if this was the case then they would have banned my primary account since I renewed from the web and not my console.

Truespeed

Pretty simple imo.

One day you're going to find yourself in a similar situation. It may not be digitally related, but I hope some guy is there telling you that you should have read the contract / ToS.

The free month of Gold is interesting because I did use it 3 times to renew at the end of the month. If I was banned for this than this is just incompetence on their part because they control the site and they should have implemented the necessary controls to limit its use. No where does it say that you cannot use it more than one time. It was like their own little honey pot.

Besides, if this was the case then they would have banned my primary account since I renewed from the web and not my console.

Wait, it's for a month?!

I thought it was just this weekend.

Cels

Wait, it's for a month?!

I thought it was just this weekend.

two separate promotions. there is the free weekend going on right now, and there was also this link that allowed you to get a free month of gold. the problem was that you could just go to that link over and over again and continually get free months of gold, so they shut it down. not sure if they were actually banning people for doing that though, although i guess i wouldn't be surprised if they did

Yagharek

Pretty simple imo.

Given Microsoft knowingly shipped a faulty product, they should probably be less trigger happy when it comes to following the letter of the law. Especially when it's their fault for pricing errors, and a victimless "crime".

At most they should be rescinding licenses for games in question, nothing more.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Reading yesterday's posts in here, another GAFfer got banned, yet it still doesn't seem like a common thing. No one else on the Xbox Support forums has even specifically stated that they might have gotten banned for these games aside from me (still no response BTW) so there's no certainty that the marketplace charge was about the games or something else. There are even people out there that are even still playing these very games just fine. And up till now there still hasn't been any single sort of word about it on Microsoft's end.

zaphod79

Reading yesterday's posts in here, another GAFfer got banned, yet it still doesn't seem like a common thing. No one else on the Xbox Support forums has even specifically stated that they might have gotten banned for these games aside from me (still no response BTW) so there's no certainty that the marketplace charge was about the games or something else. There are even people out there that are even still playing these very games just fine. And up till now there still hasn't been any single sort of word about it on Microsoft's end.

Important to note that the person banned yesterday was probably banned over a week ago but had not connected to live in that time.

A lot of people have put 2 + 2 together to decide that the banning was directly caused by getting the free games and this seems to have been a common assumption on other forums as well but the simple answer is we dont know.

Either Microsoft picked some people at random for this and banned them
Or they used this as part of the reason and went after people who had done something else in the past which they classed as a minor infringement (in which case if you did this now thats probably a black mark against you and if you do something minor in the future you risk everything)
Or there was some other reason for the bans

I would much rather Microsoft came out to say what actually happened and what the punishment was because otherwise how can I trust that they will be straight with people in the future.

Before all the announcements If you asked me what i would be getting for the next generation i'd have said Xbox

After the announcements I had pretty much decided Sony

After all the 180's that Microsoft had pulled I was undecided but this type of thing happening with no recourse really pushes me away from Microsoft because for all I know I have a black mark against my account and if something else happens i could lose it and my 'brand new' console

ShinMaruku

One day you're going to find yourself in a similar situation. It may not be digitally related, but I hope some guy is there telling you that you should have read the contract / ToS.

Never wish ill of another person because of something like this. Makes you seem childish.

It's their system they can do whatever they will. People tried to use and exploit to get a free thing and they got caught, move on. Next time don't try to get something that looks awfully fishy.

My friend's 360 never got banned over this (I guess there's still time for the ban to happen, but it seems more unlikely with each passing day), though his Oman account did. He got scared straight, though.

ShinMaruku

Some people will avoid the ban it's the way of things. If you don't want to be in danger of it it should have never been attempted.

I hope you realize you're repeating something that's been said literally hundreds of times in this thread.

The preaching and moralizing is getting tiresome.

Nobody's forcing you to read this thread. It's for people who did the Oman glitch and want to keep updated on the bannings that resulted from it.

And trolls who want to remind us how squeaky clean they are and how awful we are. :rolleyes

hawk2025

From the looks of it, Microsoft had a good, old-fashioned Roman Decimation.

They wouldn't ban everyone that did it, because they would simply lose too many customers, but they made an example out of a select few.

This is both scary and dangerous to their brand at the same time. Fear works great in war -- not sure how well with consumer electronics.

Ce-Lin

Microsoft just lost a customer and the Windows Phone I just bought recently is going to be returned.

1 - Good riddance, no company wants thieves as "customers", they won't miss you.

2 - Returning a Windows Phone really ? that's childish, so you're now trying to judge the morality of the acts Microsoft took to punish your fraud ? how can you judge morality of others doing the right thing (punishing thieves) when your morality is barely holding up after purposefully committing fraud ?

these posts always get me, do you think guys you are the pillars of the Microsoft userbase or anything like that ? you're a bunch of thieves shameful caught while committing fraud and moaning in a group-therapy thread trying to comfort each other with lies and convoluted double standards. Ask developers here in NeoGAF gaming community how do they feel about your threads helping each other how to steal the games, they were in front page for days, the Rayman thread did hurt the eyes and was almost comical with the post writing in all caps GUYS NOW IT'S AUSTRIA !! OH WAIT, ANDORRA IT IS !! pathetic.

hawk2025

1 - Good riddance, no company wants thieves as "customers", they won't miss you.

2 - Returning a Windows Phone really ? that's childish, so you're now trying to judge the morality of the acts Microsoft took to punish your fraud ? how can judge morality of others doing the right thing (punish thieves) when your morality is barely holding up after purposefully committing fraud ?

these posts always get me, do you think guys are the pillars of the Microsoft userbase or anyhting like that ? you're a bunch of thieves caught in the act and moaning in a group-therapy thread trying to comfort each other with lies and convoluted double standards.

If he's anything like the average GAF poster, he has spent thousands of dollars on his console.

Of course Microsoft will "miss" him.

2 - Returning a Windows Phone really ? that's childish, so you're now trying to judge the morality of the acts Microsoft took to punish your fraud ? how can you judge morality of others doing the right thing (punishing thieves) when your morality is barely holding up after purposefully committing fraud ?

these posts always get me, do you think guys you are the pillars of the Microsoft userbase or anything like that ? you're a bunch of thieves shameful caught while committing fraud and moaning in a group-therapy thread trying to comfort each other with lies and convoluted double standards. Ask developers here in NeoGAF gaming community how do they feel about your threads helping each other how to steal the games, they were in front page for days, the Rayman thread did hurt the eyes and was almost comical with the post writing in all caps GUYS NOW IT'S AUSTRIA !! OH WAIT, ANDORRA IT IS !! pathetic.

To be fair, any excuse to return a Windows Phone is a good excuse.

Walking into a store that you know hasn't opened yet, picking up a merchandise with no price tag and walking out claiming it was free for the taking sounds awfully like textbook theft to me.

And what you just said sounds awfully like yet another stupid, wholly inaccurate analogy to me.

UNCMark

Banned
Walking into a store that you know hasn't opened yet, picking up a merchandise with no price tag and walking out claiming it was free for the taking sounds awfully like textbook theft to me.

I disagree. If you told me that I could create an account in a different country and download a free game, I'd do it. It's not stealing. I do it all the time on iOS. It's how I got Plants vs Zombies 2 (New Zealand store) early, and also how I try a lot of Japanese PS3 demos. If I read this correctly though, the games weren't actually free in those countries, they only appeared that way due to a MS screw up. I wouldn't equate that to outright theft. Nor would I think a company would ban users for it. It's definitely dishonest though and those users should have the game expunged from their purchase history.

RoeBear

Hmm I wouldn't exactly relate it like that. I think of this whole situation more like stores and how they use coupons. Sometimes stores do double coupon or triple coupon days, I've seen this multiple times in person where the person is actually owed money for the things they purchase and have to get more stuff for free. Should we call people who use coupons and walk out of the store not spending a dime thieves? I don't think so.

Hmm I wouldn't exactly relate it like that. I think of this whole situation more like stores and how they use coupons. Sometimes stores do double coupon or triple coupon days, I've seen this multiple times in person where the person is actually owed money for the things they purchase and have to get more stuff for free. Should we call people who use coupons and walk out of the store not spending a dime thieves? I don't think so.

You forgot the store had a big sign saying it only applies to people that live in Oman and then some put on a fake moustache, white gown ,dagger and sandals to get their hands on the coupons .
Some got caught recently .

Joni

If I read this correctly though, the games weren't actually free in those countries, they only appeared that way due to a MS screw up. I wouldn't equate that to outright theft. Nor would I think a company would ban users for it. It's definitely dishonest though and those users should have the game expunged from their purchase history.
I'll continue the analogy of the previous poster: they appear free because there was no price tag and the store hasn't opened yet, but someone working there has left the door open and people came in and bought the items for free.

Top Bottom