• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Bakugo.. Man even seeing him triggers me hard.
Fucker is almost Sasuke Uchiha/Light Yagami tier trash. Piece of shit. Let's see how he will develop.

Edit: scratch that 'almost', he IS bottom tier
I love these posts.....

I'm anticipating plenty of 180s in the future..... I hope.

Anyways, fantastic episode, so far season 2 is better than 1 for me.

NSESN

With names being chosen next week i gotta ask.So people what hero names would give to class A. Manga readers please no spoilers.
Mine:
Ayoma: Navel beauty.
Tsuyu: Frog girl.
Uraraka: Floating girl.
Kirishima: Hard man.
Jiro: Rockstar.
Kaminari: Static.
Iida: Recipro engine.
Bakugou: Supernova.
Todoroki: Artic fire.
Tokoyami: Falco.
Mineta: Purple balls.
Mina: Acid girl.
Deku: Mighty boy.
Sero: Tape man.
Ojiro: Martial Artist.
Hagakure: Phantom.
I suck at this.

It's worth noting that in terms of raw power/flexibility, Yaoyorozu is on Bakugou's tier easily. Her big limitation is that she has no combat experience or aptitude yet, which limits her performance a ton.

With names being chosen next week i gotta ask.So people what hero names would give to class A. Manga readers please no spoilers.
Mine:
Ayoma: Navel beauty.
Tsuyu: Frog girl.
Uraraka: Floating girl.
Kirishima: Hard man.
Jiro: Rockstar.
Kaminari: Static.
Iida: Recipro engine.
Bakugou: Supernova.
Todoroki: Artic fire.
Tokoyami: Falco.
Mineta: Purple balls.
Mina: Acid girl.
Deku: Mighty boy.
Sero: Tape man.
Ojiro: Martial Artist.
Hagakure: Phantom.
I suck at this.

You'd be on point if this were the Legion of Superheroes.

Well, at this point it's the only thing we can hope for since the overpowered route is out of the running.

Tsuyu is definitely up there in that regards, yeah. Frogs can do some pretty amazing things. I hope Jiro gets a lot more screen time too, as she's my favorite of the current cast. But of course I'd say that - she's the closest thing in this series I have to a self-insert, heh.

Loved your input in this thread :) i'd also be interested in your personal work whenever you publish something!

On topic, i really like Jirou too. I believe that Horikoshi will try to avoid the usual problems shonen manga get with it's secondary characters, even if takes a bit of time. The cast is interesting enough i think.

I think it's important to note that combat and being able to launch powerful attacks are hardly the only important aspects of being a hero. Being able to rescue civilians in danger efficiently, avoid collateral damage, as well as getting to the scene as quickly as possible are all just as important

NSESN

I think it's important to note that combat and being able to launch powerful attacks are hardly the only important aspects of being a hero. Being able to rescue civilians in danger efficiently, avoid collateral damage, as well as getting to the scene as quickly as possible are all just as important
Yep. AM most known video is he rescuing a bunch of people.

ShadyK54

All this Kacchan slander. :/

I like him, and the hot headedness doesn't bother me as much as others. Dude is also real passionate about proving he's the best lol.

kunonabi

Don't forget inspiring others to be better than they are. It's why I loved All Might speaking to the kids on the podium. It's a trait that Deku has shown again and again and I why feel like All Might's faith in him is so well-deserved. It's the kind of thing that Superman in his best interpretations is perfect at and seeing it handled so well in MHA really enriches the show for me.

Laiza

Tbh, I think Ashido has a powerful and versatile quirk. She was at least very creative with it during the festival.

Also, she can pack a punch, knocking out Captain Sparkle with one hit.
Ashido's quirk is extremely strong and she's no slouch in physical abilities either
Just have to point out that physical aptitude is not a quirk. ;)

I think her quirk has potential, but the fact that it's so incredibly lethal is a huge limitation - not to mention the fact that it's an actual body excretion, meaning physical limitations also come into play earlier than they do with Bakugo's quirk, for example. (Mineta has the same problem.)

That being said, I think her match against Tokoyami was a sham - at the very least she should have taken advantage of her greater mobility. From what I understand the match wasn't even depicted in the manga (or was given a single panel), which says a lot about how much priority she gets...

It's worth noting that in terms of raw power/flexibility, Yaoyorozu is on Bakugou's tier easily. Her big limitation is that she has no combat experience or aptitude yet, which limits her performance a ton.
I admit I'm not big on her quirk because of the inherent nature of a quirk that depends on man-made objects to function at a decent level, but it's true that her quirk has incredible potential on par with the best we've seen - provided she can get to the point where she's pulling out objects almost instantaneously.

Not sure what would help her against someone at Todoroki's level, however. Again... being limited to man-made objects is a pretty big barrier. A lot of quirk users in this series have shown no such limitations. Plus, you know how crazy complex modern gadgets can get? Can she even create an object that uses modern transistor technology?

Still, I can imagine her doing things like filling the air with flashbangs and smoke grenades without physical limitation to her stockpile, so that's nice. I need to see how much she can do in bigger scale encounters, however.

Sure, but then you have guys like All Might who are incredibly strong at all of the above.

Would be nice to have some gender parity in that regard, is all I'm saying.

Loved your input in this thread :) i'd also be interested in your personal work whenever you publish something!
Thanks, I appreciate it. We'll see how things go on the creativity side. A bit sidetracked with life right now, but I still do enjoy putting some words out here and there. Hopefully I can also wrangle my easily-sidetracked mind into gear...

PK Gaming

Yaoyorozu comes closest with the sheer versatility of her power, but she has some pretty severe limitations, not the least of which is being limited to whatever technology is available in the MHA universe at the time. That's not to mention the fact that anything she can do, someone else could do with proper prep work (plus money and access to decent tech).

I mostly agree with this post as well, but I disagree with the quoted. Yaoyorozu's power is exceptional. It is hands down the strongest in the class in terms of pure potential, since she's able to create any non-living object, as long as
she knows the chemical makeup of said object
. The applications for this are objectively limitless, and even prep time can't mitigate such an incredible advantage (especially during emergency situations.) Give that power to someone who's confidant and aggressive (ie: Bakugo, Todoroki, etc) and they'd straight up be unstoppable. She's basically Firestorm.

The issue with her (and most of the female characters tbh) is that Horikoshi just isn't as passionate about her when compared to the core male characters, so they generally don't get as much to work with. He's definitely not Oda/Kishimoto tier, but MHA is still male centric shonen. Also her costume kind of sucks? Maybe it's me, but I could do without the pandering (plus it's such a downgrade from her original costume).

If it were up to me, I would've replaced Invisible Girl (who is so irrelevant she's practically a wasted slot)

Fucking P R E A C H

Laiza

I mostly agree with this post as well, but I disagree with the quoted. Yaoyorozu's power is exceptional. It is hands down the strongest in the class in terms of pure potential, since she's able to create any non-living object, as long as
she knows the chemical makeup of said object
. The applications for this are objectively limitless, and even prep time can't mitigate such an incredible advantage (especially during emergency situations.) Give that power to someone who's confidant and aggressive (ie: Bakugo, Todoroki, etc) and they'd straight up be unstoppable. She's basically Firestorm.

The issue with her (and most of the female characters tbh) is that Horikoshi just isn't as passionate about her when compared to the core male characters, so they generally don't get as much to work with. He's definitely not Oda/Kishimoto tier, but MHA is still male centric shonen. Also her costume kind of sucks? Maybe it's me, but I could do without the pandering (plus it's such a downgrade from her original costume).
Wow, that costume really is better than her current one! What a downgrade.

I admit, this may just be a personal limitation, but I still have a hard time seeing how her quirk can make up for someone otherwise being essentially a normal human. What kinds of gadgets and tools are we talking here - tools powerful enough to close the gap? I'm also thinking about nonlethal devices in particular: anyone can imagine producing a mono-molecular blade and just slicing her way through the opposition, but if she's trying to avoid that kind of bloodshed, I still have a hard time figuring out what she should be doing. Note that, unlike Firestorm, she can't manipulate energy, only matter, and even then it appears that she can only manipulate matter as it comes out of her skin, rather than, say, being able to manipulate the air itself to produce wind tunnel effects and such and such.

Of course, as a support I can see her being invaluable. Unlimited first aid supplies, being able to set up shelters in a matter of moments, passing out gas masks and cushions and all that good stuff. I just need examples of what she would bring in a situation where a supervillain with a combat quirk comes into play.

And yeah, Horikoshi seems to suffer from the same issue One does, which is just a general blindness when it comes to strong female protagonists. Nothing malicious about it, just an odd oversight. If only someone could bring that to his attention.

He doesn't bully anyone anymore.

He still makes death threats towards every body at the drop of a hat.

The only reason Bakugo doesn't bully Deku anymore is that he knows that if push comes to shove Deku can hit him at 100% and turn him into a red smear on the wall.

Bakugo is like if the Naruto series started out with Sasuke post Itachi fight immediately from the get go and having Naruto being all "We're best friends!" from the first time they meet. One of the worst manga characters in an otherwise good series since the Sauce himself.

Manga Spoilers:
I'm all caught up with the manga. He still has 0 redeeming values and is still nonsensically written.
I'm real sick of hearing the "He gets better in the manga just you wait." nonsense.

Jintor

Invisible girl is a secondary character and thus there's no wasted "slot". The show is pushing it with the amount of characters it's actually giving attention to as it is.

I think the idea you had earlier of flipping the gender of one of the mains is a better solution in that sense

Personally I think it would have been funny/interesting to have a female kirishima that was still super into super manly stuff

NSESN

Hagakure>Jiro and Mina. Great design, incredible presence. A really colorful character.
Being serious I totally agree with Jintor.

Veelk

Banned
Manga Spoilers:
I'm all caught up with the manga. He still has 0 redeeming values and is still nonsensically written.
I'm real sick of hearing the "He gets better in the manga just you wait." nonsense.

I didn't say he 'gets better' (if by 'better', I assume you mean nicer. which he technically does in a small way, but yeah, he's still an unapologetic asshole). I meant that he changes.

But there is character development going on. It doesn't mean you'll like him, it just means he's not the guy he was at the start.

Bakugo is awful and I'm glad his victory was ruined for him. Wanting something really badly isn't a free pass to act like an asshole, and that's literally all his character is. The fact that Midoriya considers him a friend is a huge flaw and falls completely flat.

Todoroki is a much better rival, and I don't even care for him that much either, but at least he has an arc of development.

PK Gaming

Wow, that costume really is better than her current one! What a downgrade.

I admit, this may just be a personal limitation, but I still have a hard time seeing how her quirk can make up for someone otherwise being essentially a normal human. What kinds of gadgets and tools are we talking here - tools powerful enough to close the gap? I'm also thinking about nonlethal devices in particular: anyone can imagine producing a mono-molecular blade and just slicing her way through the opposition, but if she's trying to avoid that kind of bloodshed, I still have a hard time figuring out what she should be doing. Note that, unlike Firestorm, she can't manipulate energy, only matter, and even then it appears that she can only manipulate matter as it comes out of her skin, rather than, say, being able to manipulate the air itself to produce wind tunnel effects and such and such.

It would depend on the situation, honestly. Against large, durable enemies (like Noumu), something like a molecular blade might actually be a hard requirement. Smaller humanoid characters would depend on their skillset, but she could follow a general strategy. Something like creating grenades to control their movements and finishing them off with an extremely durable blunt weapon (like a chromium baton, idk lol). It's also worth noting that this is a universe where people can survive getting hit by robots, taking explosions head on and survive being frozen/burnt to a crisp, so I don't think she has to worry too much about finishing off enemies in a non-lethal matter. It works in reverse too; she can create objects that effectively hard counter certain skillsets (ie: Kaminari would be fucked if he fought her).

Laiza

Invisible girl is a secondary character and thus there's no wasted "slot". The show is pushing it with the amount of characters it's actually giving attention to as it is.

I think the idea you had earlier of flipping the gender of one of the mains is a better solution in that sense

Personally I think it would have been funny/interesting to have a female kirishima that was still super into super manly stuff
Fem!Kirishima would have been awesome, yeah. Would've been a fun way to flip all those limitations female characters usually get on their heads. Hotblooded, head-to-head melee combat with a powerful defensive quirk... yep, checks a lot of boxes.

That being said, personally, after Naruto I hesitate to say MHA is anywhere close to splitting its attention too thin. I think it has some room to spread the love around. The fact that Class A gets the focus should be enough to keep it from wandering too far.

Jintor

well i always felt like naruto/bleach (bleach is an egregious example where tite basically forgot he had a main character for months on end) went buckshit wild with their character focus

mha is running mean and keeping keen and it still gets complaints about having too many characters lmao. people can't differentiate between secondaries and primaries unless they're clearly deliniated apparently

The fact that Midoriya considers him a friend is a huge flaw and falls completely flat.

are you kidding? Deku doesn't think of bakuogou as a 'friend', their relationship is way more complicated than that

deku might be a shonen hero but he's not an idiot, he recognises when someone is a hostile jackass

Veelk

Banned
are you kidding? Deku doesn't think of bakuogou as a 'friend', their relationship is way more complicated than that

deku might be a shonen hero but he's not an idiot, he recognises when someone is a hostile jackass

It's more that Deku just doesn't hold a grudge over it.

I don't see any evidence of this. Midoriya doesn't call out Bakugo on anything.

Because he doesn't hold a grudge over it.

Jintor

he called him out in their fight in the training centre and the rest he just kind of accepts because baku has been shitting on him for years

mido doesn't go out of his way to hang out with bakugo or actively seek him out. he doesn't look for baku's company other than to try and get over his own hangups.

he called him out in their fight in the training centre and the rest he just kind of accepts because baku has been shitting on him for years

mido doesn't go out of his way to hang out with bakugo or actively seek him out. he doesn't look for baku's company other than to try and get over his own hangups.
All I see is Midoriya being Bakugo's doormat. Midoriya had a more honest conversation with Todoroki during their match than any interaction he's had with Bakugo the whole series. It's my least favorite aspect of Midoriya's character and I really hope it changes.

I understand the contribution a character like Bakugo can add to a story, but I think this particular version of the trope is very poorly done.

I don't think Bakugo is supposed to become likable or "down to earth"

He simply is a pick, and those people exist.
He's not just a prick. He tried to kill Deku in a training exercise. That would get him expelled so fast if anything involving Bakugo had any kind of sense. Anyone with eyes can see Bakugo is a dangerous unstable tgreat to everyone around him except the Bakugo defense force and the writer.

Tomura Shigaraki and Kirigiri are not nice people but they're far better characters because the writing around them is consistent and makes logical sense. Tomura tries to kill All Might. He's labled as a villain and treated as such. That makes logocal sense. Bakugo tries to kill Deku and nothing is ever said or done about it.

Veelk

Banned
All I see is Midoriya being Bakugo's doormat. Midoriya had a more honest conversation with Todoroki during their match than any interaction he's had with Bakugo the whole series. It's my least favorite aspect of Midoriya's character and I really hope it changes.

I understand the contribution a character like Bakugo can add to a story, but I think this particular version of the trope is very poorly done.

A doormat to what? What is Bakugo extracting from Midoriya that Midoriya doesn't want at this stage?

Jintor

as someone who had a 'friend' for years until i realised they weren't so much a friend as a bully i identify pretty strongly with the way deku is kinda just sidelining baku

He's not just a prick. He tried to kill Deku in a training exercise. That would get him expelled so fast if anything involving Bakugo had any kind of sense. Anyone with eyes can see Bakugo is a dangerous unstable tgreat to everyone around him except the Bakugo defense force and the writer.

point of order, he made a very deliberate point about aiming to the right of deku in the training exercise

the rest i accept, it's a very weak defence (imagine it on a gun range lmao)

Kickz

He does seem pretty one note, Endovour should just forget about Shoto and take him as his son lol.

Jintor

also this isn't really a focus of the series or anything and maybe just an indictment of shonen in general, but i was thinking about the fighting tournament and how willing UA was, as an educational institution, to have a sports tournament for 15-18 year olds where literal blood is spilt in the name of entertainment

A doormat to what? What is Bakugo extracting from Midoriya that Midoriya doesn't want at this stage?
A feeling of superiority. I feel that if Midoriya wants to better himself and be a true hero, that would include being more assertive in not letting someone treat you like garbage just because you have a past with that person.

Puruzi

Banned
How are people still saying Bakugo tried to kill Deku. He literally says that he isn't trying to kill him right before shooting the blast. I don't even like Bakugo and I feel like I have to defend him lmao

I like these small details.
piBugAT_d.jpg

I forgot deku cant do his tie reminds me of myself during secondary when you had to wear uniforms with ties lmao. Even Baku got hit tie right

Veelk

Banned
A feeling of superiority. I feel that if Midoriya wants to better himself and be a true hero, that would include being more assertive in not letting someone treat you like garbage just because you have a past with that person.

He doesn't do that anymore though. Bakugo's bullying days are over and Midoriya wouldn't stand for it if he pulled that shit again. He's an abrasive asshole to those around him, but that's just his personality and no one is overly bothered by it. Midoriya has gained self assurance and confidence, and that isn't dependant on putting down Bakugo.

I like these small details.
piBugAT_d.jpg

I forgot deku cant do his tie reminds me of myself during secondary when you had to wear uniforms with ties lmao. Even Baku got hit tie right

I think that's more because his fingers are fucked.

He doesn't do that anymore though. Bakugo's bullying days are over and Midoriya wouldn't stand for it if he pulled that shit again. He's an abrasive asshole to those around him, but that's just his personality and no one is overly bothered by it. Midoriya has gained self assurance and confidence, and that isn't dependant on putting down Bakugo.
I don't really agree with this assessment. Bakugo is still a bully, and the fact his attitude isn't rebuked more is a flaw IMO.

Standing up for yourself isn't putting someone else down. What Bakugo is doing is wrong.

Veelk

Banned
I don't really agree with this assessment. Bakugo is still a bully, and the fact his attitude isn't rebuked more is a flaw IMO.

Standing up for yourself isn't putting someone else down. What Bakugo is doing is wrong.

What has he done that your referring to? After the training arc, from what I remember, he just tries to accomplish the tests before him to the best of his ability.

He does this while still being an abrasive dick, but simply being an abrasive dick isn't bullying. Bullying is when you actually interfere with the lives of others to their detriment simply for the sake of their detriment.

I might be genuinely misremembering, so what has he done recently that can be construed as bullying in that way?

Top Bottom