• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

The true power of One for All.

I feel it's strange that there are already what, eight people who inherited that power in a seemingly short time? Something's off about that.

It's not that short a time. All for One first appeared... a while ago, right? I want to say somewhere in the century+ range.

I thought it was the injuries he suffered since it is making him weaker before the transfer and he keeps coughing blood

I want to say that in an Episode 3 monologue All Might mentioned retiring after One For All gets fully transferred, so I'm not sure if the transfer process is fatal on its own.

If All Might and his mentor also fought against the All For One user together, that makes it sound like All Might's mentor was still able to fight after One For All was almost or fully transferred to All Might.

I could be wrong, but so far I've had the impression that All Might is more at risk from his injuries than from transferring One For All, though it could be a combination of both.

The injuries are undoubtedly a huge factor (and the reason he was dying to begin with, dude would've been on a clock even if he wasn't giving up OfA), but the apparitions Deku saw fighting mind control guy left me with the impression that more than just musclepower got transferred.

8 Generations, but they could pass it any time. If we assume most OfA were active between 10 and 20 years, that is 80 years at least and 160 at most.

10-20 feels generous, honestly. IIRC the OfA holders have only actually been capable of going toe to toe with AfO recently, I'd imagine the first few gens got crushed pretty rapidly.

NSESN

I don't think Jiro's insecurity was played for laughs, at least it was not the impression I got in the manga.
About Mineta, he is terrible, but I disagree with people saying that he doesn't deserve to be in. He has one the coolest quirks imo, and if Horikoshi focused more on him using his quirk for heroing instead of his pervert antics he would be way better. I think Midnight a way worse character than him.

I don't think Jiro's insecurity was played for laughs, at least it was not the impression I got in the manga.
About Mineta, he is terrible, but I disagree with people saying that he doesn't deserve to be in. He has one the coolest quirks imo, and if Horikoshi focused more on him using his quirk for heroing instead of his pervert antics he would be way better. I think Midnight a way worse character than him.

Midnight is trash.

Jintor

it was a classic post-joke 'ironic beat'... don't really see how it wasn't... i mean, yes it highlights jirou's insecurity as well, but it was mainly just 1) perv gets hurt 2) girls are disgusted 3) person who hurt perv secretly like 'but he didn't perv on me'

It's not that short a time. All for One first appeared... a while ago, right? I want to say somewhere in the century+ range.

The injuries are undoubtedly a huge factor (and the reason he was dying to begin with, dude would've been on a clock even if he wasn't giving up OfA), but the apparitions Deku saw fighting mind control guy left me with the impression that more than just musclepower got transferred.

10-20 feels generous, honestly. IIRC the OfA holders have only actually been capable of going toe to toe with AfO recently, I'd imagine the first few gens got crushed pretty rapidly.
That's only if you assume he was aware or cared about them right away. They probably kept a low profile in the early generations

Meffer

hK8sd99.png

It's great because you know he spent countless hours in front of the mirror just to get that face just right.

Neoxon

You guys think we'll finish the All for One arc before the end of the season, or will the remainder of the episodes be mainly for the final exams?

That's only if you assume he was aware or cared about them right away. They probably kept a low profile in the early generations

The man's whole thing was being the power-obsessed absolute ruler of the criminal underworld, I can't imagine he'd have been super casual about something like this.

caliph95

The man's whole thing was being the power-obsessed absolute ruler of the criminal underworld, I can't imagine he'd have been super casual about something like this.
I mean he was also the most powerful guy in Japan, the first few generations at least were probably beneath his notice

I don't think the first few even got killed by AFO. It's already shown that you don't have to die to have your (spirit, essence, ????) transferred over with the power. And if it's a collective of all the previous users power they probably weren't even strong enough to be noticed.

The rest of the season will cover the final exams.
The field training?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I always wondered if All For One was allowing One For All to transfer to user to user so he could eventually take it for himself once it had become suitably powerful.

NSESN

I am almost wishing that the next season is only 13 episodes so Bones will have time to make all episodes have the quality of the stain fight.

Laiza

I always wondered if All For One was allowing One For All to transfer to user to user so he could eventually take it for himself once it had become suitably powerful.
I suspect that that's going to be the case as well. I also suspect the fact that One for All has a desire component to it (it won't transfer unless the user wills it) will also play into that.

Makes me wonder, though... is it possible for One for All to be distributed across a large population by the will of the user? Obviously, it'd require distribution of their DNA for consumption, but from my understanding there's not really anything stopping a OfA user from just... making a bunch of OfA copies everywhere.

SalvaPot

All Might had the power for several years, after all, Gran Torino is an elder and All Might got it while/after his school years, since he was trained by GT while he was still fairly young. And I want to think most users of OfA could handle themselves at least a decade, since we know that to inherit it you don't have to be quirkless, Toshinori and Deku just happened to be.

NSESN

Makes me wonder, though... is it possible for One for All to be distributed across a large population by the will of the user? Obviously, it'd require distribution of their DNA for consumption, but from my understanding there's not really anything stopping a OfA user from just... making a bunch of OfA copies everywhere.

I think it is said in the first season but I will use spoilers just in case
No, because once it is passed the user start losing power, iirc All Might said something about his time in buff form shrinking after he passed the power to Deku.

All Might had the power for several years, after all, Gran Torino is an elder and All Might got it while/after his school years, since he was trained by GT while he was still fairly young. And I want to think most users of OfA could handle themselves at least a decade, since we know that to inherit it you don't have to be quirkless, Toshinori and Deku just happened to be.

All Might had to have OfA for at the very least a decade or so from the bit when a young Izuku watched the video of All Might's debut in which by that point in the past was already an old video.

SalvaPot

All Might had to have OfA for at the very least a decade or so from the bit when a young Izuku watched the video of All Might's debut in which by that point in the past was already an old video.

Well, for the internet an old video is a week old =P

But yeah, Deku was a toddler, and the video was already old by then.

Caught up to episode 18. Man what a great season so far. This show is definitely up there as far as Tournament arcs are concerned. I really like Shoto's arc in the show, it's very familiar but there's one thing I really appreciate in that he never really disparages Izuku. Him showing up for the save against Stain when Izuku and Iida needed help made me want to cheer.

Chase17

How does one determine they want to pass on a quirk when they don't know that they have the ability to pass a quirk on. Also I guess this means Deku went from quirckless to double quirk.
*waits for the revelation that Deku had a quirck all along that he just hadn't discovered yet* /s

SalvaPot

How does one determine they want to pass on a quirk when they don't know that they have the ability to pass a quirk on. Also I guess this means Deku went from quirckless to double quirk.
*waits for the revelation that Deku had a quirck all along that he just hadn't discovered yet* /s

Deku is confirmed quirkless because he doesn't have the mutation in his toe. At least the doctor said it was the most common feature in quirkless people.

But its totally possible that the OTHER quirks from any of the previous AfO may have mixed with it and are now dormant in Deku.

VariantX

Deku is confirmed quirkless because he doesn't have the mutation in his toe. At least the doctor said it was the most common feature in quirkless people.

But its totally possible that the OTHER quirks from any of the previous AfO may have mixed with it and are now dormant in Deku.

Thats true. There was zero stipulation that those who receive the power had to be quirkless to begin with.

NEO0MJ

In my head it's only been around 100 years since quirks showed up and since it seemed that the younger brother was a young adult when he received OFA that means that a new holder of the power came almost every ten years, but all might had it since he was at least in high school so that's why I find it strange.

Seesaw15

In my head it's only been around 100 years since quirks showed up and since it seemed that the younger brother was a young adult when he received OFA that means that a new holder of the power came almost every ten years, but all might had it since he was at least in high school so that's why I find it strange.

Ehh, 8 people over a 100 year period doesn't seem that strange. We know All Might's around 45 years old and has been active for at least 25 years. Since AfO's little brother was noble but weak he probably had OfA for a short period of time before he transferred it. That leaves us with 6 OfA users over about 70 years. Since it's a quirk that stockpiles power it makes since that the first couple of users were pretty weak and thus transferred it quickly once they knew they couldn't beat AfO.

SalvaPot

Ehh, 8 people over a 100 year period doesn't seem that strange. We know All Might's around 45 years old and has been active for at least 25 years. Since AfO's little brother was noble but weak he probably had OfA for a short period of time before he transferred it. That leaves us with 6 OfA users over about 70 years. Since it's a quirk that stockpiles power it makes since that the first couple of users were pretty weak and thus transferred it quickly once they knew they couldn't beat AfO.

The quirk does stock power, and by stock power I think it means actual training and hard work. I don't think they transferred it quickly, but did when they felt they couldn't add more to it or found a suitable successor after properly training him to inherit it.

Top Bottom