• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

NSESN

I thought the episode was gonna be total trash from the preview last week, but it wasn't bad.
obviously focusing on the C-tier students was going to be less interesting, but breathing some life into one-dimensional characters, or zero-dimensional in the case of Koda, and having the A-team in the control room watching em made it better.

iTmOONl.jpg

can't wait for next week. not watching the preview

Jirou is far from C-Tier.

BADMAN

Good episode but Mineta is still the worst. He needs to be thrown offa cliff and removed from the show.

Not sure how much it matters but I think he tanked in the last Jump character poll. He went from like 17 to 30 something. I think everyone is kinda sick of him.

NSESN

Mineta exists because some has to be the worst character. Imagine the chaos that would be discussing who the worst character is without him.

Basically he being trash improves the image of every other character.

BADMAN

Good episode. Next week gonna be awesome. Also feel free to check out the preview, it shows nothing in terms of spoilers or big action shots.

caliph95

Ayup. Classic Hate Sink.
Removed a potential spoilery bit
Boku No Hero Academia has Endeavor. Between a sea of villains that love to kill and wreak havoc they manage to be more likable that the No.2 Hero. The man is a cruelly Abusive Parent that dedicated his life to a petty One Sided Rivalry and screwed the life of his kids, who he never cared about, his wife, who he is implied to have raped into having his kids, and Shouto, who he has been putting into a cruel physically and emotionally abusive training ever since the boy was four

BADMAN

Yeah I wouldn't put Mineta into the Hate Sink category. Honestly his character alone isn't that annoying, my problem is he's Horikoshi's outlet for his creeper bullshit. I really like this series but good god man could you not constantly remind me of how much you want to bang a busty 15 year old? I don't mind a bit of fanservice or perv characters but the way it's used makes me uncomfortable.

NSESN

This is the first arc that I'll definitively say I feel was better executed in the manga, I also don't like Mineta's fight not being last like in the manga.

Bakugou's been the best since the beginning though.

What? I disagree. Almost half of ther arc wasn't even adapted yet. And the anime has the bonus of not having half of the fights being one panel.

What is this Aoyama slander

This would probably be the correct answer.

Nah before Bakugou got 1st in the second popularity poll he got 3rd in the first poll. It would be the be between Aoyama, Ojiro, Monoma and Sugar/Sato since nobody seems to care about them at this stage of the story.

What? I disagree. Almost half of ther arc wasn't even adapted yet. And the anime has the bonus of not having half of the fights being one panel.
The structure of the arc in the manga appealed to me more than this one by one fight method, it upped the tension and I liked the back and forth.
I'm not saying it's "worse", just that I don't feel it was executed as well.
Sure we had some fight expansion, but I preferred having a few focused on character's, and then having the rest done in a page or two, or just a single panel, I didn't need to see it all.
I'm sure next epsiode will be incredible though.

Nah before Bakugou got 1st in the second poll he got 3rd in this first poll. It would be the be between Aoyama, Ojiro, Monoma and Sugar/Sato since nobody cares about them at this stage of the story.
Ojiro is a liked character and people wanted more focus on him at this point in time.
And Aoyama was seen as hilarious.

Mineta fits the Hatesink model, he's one out of a larger cast of characters with an abundance of irritating personality traits and a lack of real positive characterization. Endeavor probably shouldn't be on that page, tbh; he's a huge douchebag, but he's not there to draw ire.

As for who'd be my least favorite if he wasn't there... probably Sugarman. Everyone else has SOMEHING going for them at this point, that dude barely registers. Don't really hate any of the class besides Mineta, though.

Mineta fits the Hatesink model, he's one out of a larger cast of characters with an abundance of irritating personality traits and a lack of real positive characterization. Endeavor probably shouldn't be on that page, tbh; he's a huge douchebag, but he's not there to draw ire.

As for who'd be my least favorite if he wasn't there... probably Sugarman. Everyone else has SOMEHING going for them at this point, that dude barely registers. Don't really hate any of the class besides Mineta, though.
He stepped out and told Iida to get moving and that they'd back him up when Iida froze during the invasion, I liked that.
Same as Shouji covering three or so classmates with his body when Warpgate spread them out, its a small moment and you could easily miss it (especially in the manga where its in a small panel) but it says a lot about his character.

BADMAN

Well WSJ is made for around 15 year olds not that excuse the fanservice but likely explains

Nah Horikoshi is a self proclaimed dirty guy. He says some pretty interesting shit in some of the extra content in the volumes. Again though, that's really my only real complaint. I haven't been this into a shonen series since HunterxHunter.

He's also terrible a juggling all these characters. I didn't even remember what Sato's quirk was until they came up with their hero names. It's really too bad, I wish he'd give everyone a little more spotlight to round out their characters. Instead most of them get a moment in a battle, but it doesn't really matter because it's hard to care about a character that you know nothing about. I want a full chapter following around Sero while he has a boring and normal day at school. That would make me happy.

Aoyoma is useless but he's at least entertaining and funny. Mineta provides nothing. Nothing!

Not sure how much it matters but I think he tanked in the last Jump character poll. He went from like 17 to 30 something. I think everyone is kinda sick of him.

Good. Hope Deku accidentally kills him or something. I dont mind if he has some kind of arc but he's so just so annoying he really brings down the enjoyment of the show whenever he's in a scene.

BADMAN

Aoyoma is useless but he's at least entertaining and funny. Mineta provides nothing. Nothing!

Good. Hope Deku accidentally kills him or something. I dont mind if he has some kind of arc but he's so just so annoying he really brings down the enjoyment of the show whenever he's in a scene.

Not sure if it really counts as spoilers but
he gets used less and less as time goes on.

NSESN

Meh episode, but it is to be expected, this entire thing worked a lot better in the manga.
I can't agree with this when most of this episode was about fights that were jus a few panels in the manga. The director stuff was much better in the anime for example.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh, so Koda's power is to talk with the animals and walk with the animals.

Which brings up the question, how did he defeat a bunch of robots during the entrance exam - especially as he's a bit cowardly?

Then I gave it two seconds thought and realised he didn't - we also learn in this episode the Principle isn't human but a super rodent - Koda simply convinced the Principle, using his quirk, to let him in. Smart thinking.

I didn't even twig that we'd never seen Koda's power or heard him speak, he mastered that fade into the background angle huh.

I feel like the brief battle with fireman snipe/captain shootbang/I can't remember his name was undercooked even by "let's just smash this outta the way" standards.
Like he never considered the invisible girl wouldn't make use of invisibility.
And the other guy that reminds me of a tentacle ninja just strolls out like "you got me", come on snipes, that's just obvious (though in a real scenario against this guy I guess he'd just shoot them in the face, guess it's hard to hold back with bullets).

Here's a smoother one because the bad loop is bugging me.

Glorious

kirblar

It's a similar issue to AoT, where the female characters generally aren't as deep as the male ones, but in AoT there's a deliberate lack of fan-service. Here, there's both a depth problem AND there's fan-service, so it sticks out a lot more.

NSESN

It's a similar issue to AoT, where the female characters generally aren't as deep as the male ones, but in AoT there's a deliberate lack of fan-service. Here, there's both a depth problem AND there's fan-service, so it sticks out a lot more.

It doesn't help that the anime has much more fanservice than in the manga.

Top Bottom