• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Veelk

Banned
I think it really shows how likable all the characters are that I wanted them all to pass...well, I don't care about Mineta or Dazzle boy...but honestly, this chapter made me like Dazzle boy more, so I'm glad they all made it.

It's just weird, because I rarely get 'feel good' sort of stories to make me actually feel good.

Cerium

Invisible Girl x Shadowbird bro insane tag team up incoming.

This has to happen now.

The clever combination of powers is one of my favorite parts of this manga, ever since Deku, Tsuyu, and Mineta teamed up during USJ.

What if her invisibilty is actually an active use of her power instead of a permanent state.
It works while she's asleep though. If this ever happens, it's probably more likely that it's something she can actively disable if she tries.

Jintor

This was pretty difficult to follow the first time around, but what a display.

I like how it cut away from Joke Squad and just let them through in the BG. Preserve that mystery

this manga's so fucking good and I don't tihnk there's been a single week I haven't said that

/edit also sleepy announcer is amazing cos he's hyped but sleepy at the same time

Maximo

Its good they all passed...means its going to hit harder when someone dies later on...
9f8462a5745714b080b33e90f2198831.jpg

Lunar15

Yeah, this week's was a bit hard to follow, usually this manga's clear as day.

Either way, great chapter. We get some character building for laser navel guy, some teamwork, and the arc moves on.

dude i wonder what horikoshi wanted to introduce in the manga with aoyama's flashback scenes...

Loved everything about the chapter, this characters, this manga always succeeds at elevating your spirit.

Veelk

Banned
You know, one of the best thing about it is that the series has constantly high stakes in the form of personal growth, but not so high that defeat is unacceptable.

I was seriously expecting atleast a few people from the class to not make it. I mean, I definitely care about some less than others, but small seeds of character arcs have been planted through all the classmates. Whether it's because I couldn't stand it if Uravity took second loss after taking the first one so hard, or because I just flat out wanted to see more of a character like Tokoyomi....or whether I just am cheering for a character like Pinky to finally get a chance to shine. I want them all to succeed.

In fact, the only characters I genuinely didn't care if they made it were Mineta and Can't Stop Twinkling...but honestly, this series does the whole "There is another layer of depth thing". I didn't like Can't Stop Twinkling's gimmick, his personality and his power. He felt like a one off joke. Then in the forest, his cowardice is revealed, and I'm like "Eh, whatever, I guess he can just be the Yoki of the group, good for a one off thing." But after over a hundred chapters, what I didn't expect was that for his arrogance, that he actually thought of the rest of the class as above him, rather than below. It's only now I realized that he never really insulted or demeaned anyone as below him (unless I'm remembering wrong) and instead his arrogance just formed itself as a form of self pride, but not at the expense of others.

Idk, the emergence of his character having an element of nobility in him mixed with a streak of self doubt/self loathing, working with my assumptions that SOMEONE had to get the boot this first round, it all worked together to get a genuine feeling of triumph and joy when they all did manage to get through the first round.

Pappasman

I really like that they all passed the first round. I've enjoyed the theme that because of their experience with real world danger and villains they have been forced to grow and learn beyond what is normally capable in the classroom. So despite having their basic powers revealed during the sports festival they still come out on top over students older and "more experienced" than them.

Does anyone remember how many total people will get licenses at the end of the test?

Cerium

I wonder if they're going to have one on one knockout rounds. It would seem kind of repetitive after the Sports Festival but the formula works and there would be added drama with the other schools involved. Imagine the twist if Todoroki actually gets eliminated by Yoarashi.

cntr

Banned
Unless the final page was a mistranslation, the rescue test is the last one. Which makes sense, combat and rescue are the two primary hero skills.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder if they're going to have one on one knockout rounds. It would seem kind of repetitive after the Sports Festival but the formula works and there would be added drama with the other schools involved. Imagine the twist if Todoroki actually gets eliminated by Yoarashi.

I took it as though the last part of the exam was this part, oddly enough. They said this would be the "next and last stage", you could either take this as the reconstructed area is going to house all the further events but I'd think they meant by "Next and last stage" as this being the only other part of the exam.

I also think it's forward thinking for a hero exam. The first part tested offensive, defensive, and cooperation. The second event will be about saving people. Not everyone will have powers that will allow them to defeat a 1 on 1 opponent, but that isn't always important in the role of being a hero. 1 on 1 was good for exhibition matches at a school festival, but this is to test your qualities in being a provisionally licensed hero.

Trojita

I really thought the test was going to be longer, Horikoshi has some golden ability at pacing that other Shounen writers don't have. It's crazy.

Trojita

I have a feeling Midoriya is going to get Spider-man has his rescuee and he is going to be a pain in the ass but teach him something.

Trojita

I see the Mt. Lady Omake page. Her full name is Takeyama Yuu. Also apparently she loses a shit ton of the money she earns because of all the shit she breaks in the city when she is trying to work.

Also she probably isn't Kendou's sister, doesn't share the same name.

woopWOOP

I love how this comic gives all the side characters their times to shine too. Hope there's no future power creep that leaves most of them in the dust.

Aoyama's cool now

WarRock

I'm hoping for some sort of call out to that first test they had at the school, with some characters playing the villains with a bomb and the others the heroes.

That Yatta Yatta panel contained so much personality in it, it's hilarious.

I loved it for that sense of class cameradie; you never see Ochako and Kaminari hanging out, but there's still that 1-A connection. It feels like how I felt with my classmates, how even with people I'm not friends with I'd still sometimes connect.

Cerium

I loved it for that sense of class cameradie; you never see Ochako and Kaminari hanging out, but there's still that 1-A connection. It feels like how I felt with my classmates, how even with people I'm not friends with I'd still sometimes connect.

I think Horikoshi is playing up Kaminari for a reason.

The betrayalton is coming soon.

You know your hearts are going to be rended asunder if Bakugou dies saving Deku.
I would be legit shocked if any of the class actually died. I don't think Horikoshi will ever do that.

I'm even skeptical that All-Might will actually die at this rate.

Nah, Shigaraki killing All Might in front of Deku will be the beginning of the third act of this manga.

My reasoning being that Shigaraki and Deku are both developing in a parallel structure. Shigaraki lost his mentor. It only makes sense for Deku to lose his mentor as well.

Veelk

Banned
I feel that Midoriya, Bakugo, Uraraka, and Todoroki all basically have Protagonist Immortality, atleast until way later in the series. Maybe Iida too.

The rest of the class could be in danger, but I think they'll survive for atleast a good long while. If we're going by the Superhero inspirations it takes, then it's only until their personal stories are actually resolved, and nothing like that has happened yet.

I'd have prefered All Might dying with All for One tbh, but now i'm happy it didn't happen because we got more teacher!AllMight and those panels when he visits Deku's house, that were really great, so at this point i'm just faithful in horikoshi's writing.

Veelk

Banned
The good thing about All Might not dying is that he is allowed to exist as someone beyond a mentor to Midoriya. Midoriya idolizes him and all that, but he's repeatedly gone over how Midoriya has to become his own hero and how he's not actually perfect. In fact, just the last few chapters he was in, when they were training, he was reflecting on how he's the one who needs to be protected from the forces of the world. That's an identity crisis, and you don't get that when you are just a prop for the main character to learn from.

I said it before, the manga goes out of it's way to make it feel like everybody is living out their own story and that goes so far for making it feel authentic and real. While Midoriya is the protagonist and in a unique position as the inheritor of One For All, he's not unique as a character who is growing and learning and trying to make his place in the world. That's everyone, including All Might, whose just been ousted from the place he occupied for so long.

Philippo

Yeah All Might is not going anywhere, there's no point in killing him now since he's already kind of lost his "mentor" role, where Deku now has to grow up by himself.

I think it will take a reaaaally long time before any of the characters gets a real chance at diying.

Lunar15

The good thing about All Might not dying is that he is allowed to exist as someone beyond a mentor to Midoriya. Midoriya idolizes him and all that, but he's repeatedly gone over how Midoriya has to become his own hero and how he's not actually perfect. In fact, just the last few chapters he was in, when they were training, he was reflecting on how he's the one who needs to be protected from the forces of the world. That's an identity crisis, and you don't get that when you are just a prop for the main character to learn from.

I said it before, the manga goes out of it's way to make it feel like everybody is living out their own story and that goes so far for making it feel authentic and real. While Midoriya is the protagonist and in a unique position as the inheritor of One For All, he's not unique as a character who is growing and learning and trying to make his place in the world. That's everyone, including All Might, whose just been ousted from the place he occupied for so long.

The best thing this manga does is make All Might this really imperfect and flawed teacher. He's also deeply aware that he's not great at it. Even him not dying is cast in a questionable light by AfO, who remarks that by not dying, he's robbed Deku of a very important lesson.

Cerium

One thing of note about All For One is that he seems to go out of his way to personally torment each inheritor of One For All.

Messing with Shigaraki the way he did is his revenge on both All-Might and his mentor.

So what will his revenge on Midoriya be? Go after his mother?

cntr

Banned
A neat thing about All Might's arc is that it's the opposite of Deku's arc, realizing that he's weak and can't ever be a hero again

It's like All Might's arc started long before the manga and we're seeing the conclusion of it. It's kind of Star Wars-esque.

Cerium

A neat thing about All Might's arc is that it's the opposite of Deku's arc, realizing that he's weak and can't ever be a hero again

It's like All Might's arc started long before the manga and we're seeing the conclusion of it. It's kind of Star Wars-esque.

They could easily get away with whole flashback arcs like One Piece. I don't think that's Horikoshi's style but there's definitely tons of room for it.

WarRock

You guys are forgetting that All Might dying still would be a major cultural shake up. He still is a symbol. And more than Deku, it would affect a bunch of other students - Bakugou included.

Veelk

Banned
I acknowledge that. All might is important as a symbol. But I maintain that the actual strength of All Might's depiction is in how he is a flawed individual person. Symbols are compelling and admirable, but they're actually deceptively simple in implementing in storytelling. When All Might talks to others, especially Midoriya, they often see the symbol of unassailable strength and nobility, while often in his head, he's aware that he doesn't actually measure up to that. No one can. This isn't a matter of resentment or bitterness, not a lot anyway but the fact remains that people always see him as ultimate hero when chapter 1 has him telling Midoriya that he forgot what it meant to be a hero until Midoriya reminded him with his actions. He's a guy whose trapped in an identity that is much larger than him. That's far more compelling than his identity as a symbol by itself.

Philippo

Wait was that Deku's mom who got helped by Gentleman? LOL

You guys are forgetting that All Might dying still would be a major cultural shake up. He still is a symbol. And more than Deku, it would affect a bunch of other students - Bakugou included.

But be's already "dead" as a hero, i think that's the important part, and it would be pointless to kill him now.

Jintor

Do you mean in-world pointless or storytelling-pointless? I think in both cases it would have hella emotional resonance.

WarRock

But be's already "dead" as a hero, i think that's the important part, and it would be pointless to kill him now.
It wouldn't be pointless at all, specially after that last display of strenght and symbolism in live TV. Besides the emotional shock to each individual character, specially if he dies in a gruesome way/protecting the students or if Handsman bonds with All Might's master gets revealed to more people.

It'd be pointless; On live tv they all saw what All Might has become, killing him now doesn't matter because he's no longer the symbol, and that's what the world is starting to address. Horikoshi actually created a scenario where the world is changing without actually killing the character.

And sincerely i don't really know if shigaraki's goal is still All Might, specially after everything that happened that night.

Top Bottom