• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this chapter at all...

First it was All Might not dying and now this, really wished that the author would pull the trigger, but I guess it's really just a shonen thing.

Really disappointed at the moment.

i'm kinda meh on the whole thing too

mirio won me over last chapter, but lasting five minutes without a quirk against a guy that literally controls the ground you walk on and also instant kills anything he touches is bullshit

deku should have burst through that wall right as mirio was getting firecrackered all over the room

NSESN

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this chapter at all...

First it was All Might not dying and now this, really wished that the author would pull the trigger, but I guess it's really just a shonen thing.

Really disappointed at the moment.

Like I said, very divisive.

I think this willl be one of the arcs that opinions will be very different now and after a year it ends.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

mirio won me over last chapter, but lasting five minutes without a quirk against a guy that literally controls the ground you walk on and also instant kills anything he touches is bullshit

deku should have burst through that wall right as mirio was getting firecrackered all over the room

It is bullshit. There is no way he survived five minutes of that. Even trying to animate those five minutes would be fucky. Wonder if the translation was off or something.

LotusHD

Banned

True, these are good points.

NSESN

It is bullshit. There is no way he survived five minutes of that. Even trying to animate those five minutes would be fucky. Wonder if the translation was off or something.

The funny thing that the contrary happenned in the Stain fight, but at least there is easy to say the tension made the fight seem longer.

1 to 2 minutes would be better.

I feel like they shouldn't even have mentioned the time and just had Deku show up. I don't think anyone would have questioned it.

Oh well. Just chalk it up to manga time. Like Freeza's "The planet will blow up in 5 minutes" fight.
The problem veelk is that calling what would be 30 minutes just 5 minutes is way less strange than calling what would be 1 minute 5 minutes.

Veelk

Banned
I feel like they shouldn't even have mentioned the time and just had Deku show up. I don't think anyone would have questioned it.

Oh well. Just chalk it up to manga time. Like Freeza's "The planet will blow up in 5 minutes" fight.

Chase17

That was the narrator's big moment of the chapter. We don't want to mess up its usage rate!

Trojita

Even Chisaki's lame attempt to impale with 1 of 100 spikes only somehow pierced a little bit into his stomach.

LotusHD

Banned
That was the narrator's big moment of the chapter. We don't want to mess up its usage rate!

What if this narrator goes to a school for narrators. He wasn't always capable of narrating, but one day he was granted the ability to do so by All Narrate. You may know this legend through his previous work in Hunter X Hunter.

Now MHA's narrator is working to become the #1 narrator one day.

MrCinos

or maybe Overhaul lost some stamina and being clearly agitated had worse control over his quirk thus Mirio had easier time to dodge his few (OH probably was on defensive first few minutes) attacks while putting some pressure himself?

Anyway, great chapter, but last page honestly ruined it for me. I really didn't want to see Deku there. Not feeling it at all. Here's hoping VA still intervenes in this whole mess, but it seems even less likely with Deku (and soon Aizawa) being here.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Alright, catched up, and I'm loving this arc and Overhaul as a villain, but I have to agree here, the bullets that make your quirkless are becoming a bit of an asspull to not have a character killed, All Might not being dead is already feeling a bit overextended (related to killing characters, not the bullets themselves), and Miro now just losing his quirk felt like another way to not kill the character, sure they lose their quirk, but they're still alive.

Chase17

Or maybe the narrator is just unreliable. The truth is that this arc is just future Deku's allucination.

I think that this arc's narrator is a trustworthy guy, Even gives us some insights on the villains thoughts/actions.

Chapter 1 Deku narration about him becoming the greatest hero though? Suspect!

LotusHD

Banned
or maybe Overhaul lost some stamina and being clearly agitated had worse control over his quirk thus Mirio had easier time to dodge his few (OH probably was on defensive first few minutes) attacks while putting some pressure himself?

Anyway, great chapter, but last page honestly ruined it for me. I really didn't want to see Deku there. Not feeling it at all. Here's hoping VA still intervenes in this whole mess, but it seems even less likely with Deku (and soon Aizawa) being here.

Lmao, Deku showing up low-key kind of spoiled my mood too.

NSESN

Lmao, Deku showing up low-key kind of spoiled my mood too.

Yep, in fact I have seen almost nobody talking about him. It is like everyone ignored the last page.

-

Well I read the the fallen celestial beings version. Looks like it really is 5 minutes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is extremely lame. Mirio got Rock Lee'd.

If anyone deserves OFA now it's Mirio, right, because he gave up his godquirk for a little girl.

Veelk

Banned

If anyone deserves OFA now it's Mirio, right, because he gave up his godquirk for a little girl.

It's not a Godquirk though. It's a so-so quirk he's learned to use to a masterful degree.

That was how, from the conceit of the manga, he was able to match Chisaki even without his quirk, all the stuff his training and self control managed to teach him.

If Mirio does survive this despite his injuries, that's almost certainly going to be a debate that rings in Deku's head. He could give up his power to one arguably more deserving, even if it means destroying his own dreams.

It's funny how opinion has kinda turned around on the whole 'powerless' option after a few weeks ago it was being brought up because it was a way for Mirio to somehow suffer from this without dying.

MrCinos

Even if Deku gets guilt tripped into oblivion after this arc, there's no way Mirio would accept it anyway. Deku got lucky All Might didn't meet Mirio before him. Seeing quirkless Mirio pushing up to top 20 or even top 10 (with some proper support) would be even more interesting now.

Trojita

Seemed like Mirio's dad, man did he look Tintin esque too lol, also had the same quirk. It was generally thought to be unusable as regularly used quirk in a profession.

Seemed like Mirio's dad, man did he look Tintin esque too lol, also had the same quirk. It was generally thought to be unusable as regularly used quirk in a profession.

Aye. Mirio's progression was against every expectation laid before him, even his own father's.

NSESN

Even if Deku gets guilt tripped into oblivion after this arc, there's no way Mirio would accept it anyway. Deku got lucky All Might didn't meet Mirio before him. Seeing quirkless Mirio pushing up to top 20 or even top 10 (with some proper support) would be even more interesting now.

Hatsume will shine again. But seriously, with good support items I can see Mirio being a top hero even being quirkless. And would also prove that he is way stronger than just his quirk.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If Mirio becomes the quirkless hero Deku should've been I'll RIOT.

NSESN

I hope he becomes. It was what Horikoshi wanted to do, but his editor said no. If he is able to do that with Mirio he might become one my top 3 characters.

And it would also give us more Hatsume.

Trojita

The tech is definitely their for LeMillion to become a Tech Hero. I still don't understand how those things Nighteye throws work. They seem like bullshit lol.

It would also go with his name. LeMillion = $ = Tech

I honestly hope there's a Quirkless pro hero in the main story some day, whether it's Mirio or not.

A) Horikoshi wanted that idea from the start for Deku before he was convinced to give Deku superpowers, so it would be neat both from a meta perspective and an in-universe one for the readers and Deku to see what he could've been if All Might hadn't picked him.

B) Some people have pointed out that that would cheapen All Might saying that Deku needed his Quirk to become a hero and it would be impossible otherwise... but All Might's words ("You can be a hero") were cheapened as soon as he added the qualifier of "...and I'll give you my power." Also, it would be way more interesting if All Might was actually wrong; he convinced himself that it was impossible and told Deku that because he immediately wanted Deku to be his successor. Given All Might's poor teaching skills shown, as well as people questioning whether Mirio really would have been a better candidate if All Might had been patient and thought rationally, it could work from that perspective; where Deku learns this other hero manages just fine and immediately thinks, "Wait... All Might was wrong about this."

caliph95

The tech is definitely their for LeMillion to become a Tech Hero. I still don't understand how those things Nighteye throws work. They seem like bullshit lol.

It would also go with his name. LeMillion = $ = Tech
Nighteye things are basically batarangs but heavy seals to go with his salaryman look

Yeah I see no reason he has to quit since they allow quirkless heroes now but I expect a meeting

Trojita

Nighteye things are basically batarangs but heavy seals to go with his salaryman look

Yeah I see no reason he has to quit since they allow quirkless heroes now but I expect a meeting

How are they able to knock a huge guy like that one Yakuza member the way it was able to? It looked like he got hit by a 1 ton object going at a very high speed.

vkrili

People who think that All Might and Mirio should have died are like All For One. You don't want to be like him, do you???

kirblar

I honestly hope there's a Quirkless pro hero in the main story some day, whether it's Mirio or not.

A) Horikoshi wanted that idea from the start for Deku before he was convinced to give Deku superpowers, so it would be neat both from a meta perspective and an in-universe one for the readers and Deku to see what he could've been if All Might hadn't picked him.

B) Some people have pointed out that that would cheapen All Might saying that Deku needed his Quirk to become a hero and it would be impossible otherwise... but All Might's words ("You can be a hero") were cheapened as soon as he added the qualifier of "...and I'll give you my power." Also, it would be way more interesting if All Might was actually wrong; he convinced himself that it was impossible and told Deku that because he immediately wanted Deku to be his successor. Given All Might's poor teaching skills shown, as well as people questioning whether Mirio really would have been a better candidate if All Might had been patient and thought rationally, it could work.
Yeah, it feels like the story may actually be building up to Deku having to pass on OFA to a sturdier host because his body is just not able to bear it due to the way OFA's power battery effect has scaled up. He's twice permanently injured himself w/ it.

Also, if they eventually do reveal that he had a stolen quirk, it'd allow for the classic Shonen power-set change-up arc (a la Hollow Ichigo) that's a staple of the genre .
People who think that All Might and Mirio should have died are like All For One. You don't want to be like him, do you???
All Might and Mirio surviving is fine, but it has felt at other times like the series is pulling its punches.

Don't worry about All Might not dying people, one, it was too early for him to die which is why I never thought he would.
Two, if he dies it will prolly be from Shigaraki whenever All Might goes and tries to save his soul.

caliph95

How are they able to knock a huge guy like that one Yakuza member the way it was able to? It looked like he got hit by a 1 ton object going at a very high speed.
It's 5 kilos and with him being ripped it supposed to be assumed he just threw really hard

He almost took of Twice head (or really knock him out) but instead ripped half his mask because he grazed it

Given how big a deal having Bakugo being kidnapped was for UA, I kind of doubt any student will get outright killed. Are least not this early.

Yeah, it feels like the story may actually be building up to Deku having to pass on OFA to a sturdier host because his body is just not able to bear it due to the way OFA's power battery effect has scaled up. He's twice permanently injured himself w/ it.

Also, if they eventually do reveal that he had a stolen quirk, it'd allow for the classic Shonen power-set change-up arc (a la Hollow Ichigo) that's a staple of the genre .

...Man, while I expect Midoriya to hold on to OFA, I'd kinda be eager to see this route play out too. This is merely the story of how he became the world's greatest hero, nothing has, to the best of my knowledge, said he does so with the same power set as All Might.

Only thing is that given the points made about him figuring out a solution to the stress he places on his arms with his legs, it'd need a bit of contrivance to make it not seem like that effort went to waste.

kirblar

...Man, while I expect Midoriya to hold on to OFA, I'd kinda be eager to see this route play out too. This is merely the story of how he became the world's greatest hero, nothing has, to the best of my knowledge, said he does so with the same power set as All Might.

Only thing is that given the points made about him figuring out a solution to the stress he places on his arms with his legs, it'd need a bit of contrivance to make it not seem like that effort went to waste.
Given his parent's quirks, I do wonder if RP-Deku summoning a flame avatar of All Might in the third ending could be an easter egg/hint of things to come.

Given his parent's quirks, I do wonder if RP-Deku summoning a flame avatar of All Might in the third ending could be an easter egg/hint of things to come.

That'd be kind of neat, if leaning a bit into Todoroki's stuff. Though I realise, if Deku's mother isn't quite correct about her quirk, that could allow for some possibilities as well - so instead of being Superman, Deku could take on a (90s) Superboy approach.

Tactile telekinesis baby!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Glad to see I am not the only one luke warm about this chapter. There's a lot of little things that bugged me, but the big thing being how straight this was all played. I feel like i knew everything that was going to happen this chapter since thw begining of the fight.

Mirio's still pretty great and i love that short flashback of his life as he loses his quirk.

Also props to the guy who mentioned Mirio is in a fist fight with a guy that can kill him by touching him! Like jeez Overhaul, you can do more then just spikey floor attack, can't you?

Top Bottom