• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I'm not sure Bakugou's development is even really an "arc" - it's more him being in his toxic introverted bubble until he completely cracks after the raid. At that point, he retroactively becomes a much more interesting character because a) you can now understand him a lot better and b) he actually does start to develop as a character at that point.

I disagree. His inadequacies and insecurities build up over the course of the series, and you only see a real breaking point after the provisional license exam, when he beats Deku. He goes from brooding to violent anger more or less at random before that, which is... how a lot of people "handle" it, honestly. Man probably needs therapy.

People are underestimating how early we are, I think. The entire series so far has been less of a year. We have a long way to go, and just because plot and character threads haven't been advanced in a while definitely doesn't mean they aren't going to. Just laying work for Uraraka to have a whole life and set of issues separate from Deku is a huge deal for Shonen love interests.

Addendum: about the only real, serious misstep I've seen so far is breezing past the girls' fight with the giant Yakuza. I would've had that, then do a cut to where we are now, more or less, and then a "rewind" bit.

kirblar

I disagree. His inadequacies and insecurities build up over the course of the series, and you only see a real breaking point after the provisional license exam, when he beats Deku. He goes from brooding to violent anger more or less at random before that, which is... how a lot of people "handle" it, honestly. Man probably needs therapy.

People are underestimating how early we are, I think. The entire series so far has been less of a year. We have a long way to go, and just because plot and character threads haven't been advanced in a while definitely doesn't mean they aren't going to. Just laying work for Uraraka to have a whole life and set of issues separate from Deku is a huge deal for Shonen love interests.
What I mean is that Bakugou cracking is the start of an story arc for Bakugou, not an arc unto itself. There's a ot of setup for it, but the first time he's really treated as a character rather than a force of nature is in the aftermath of the kidnapping/rescue. This is in large part because the story never gives you his perspective up until that point, which is clearly a deliberate choice.
To be honest he still has a way to go too, and equally affected by being shuffled into the background for this arc.

Kind of a downside to having a cast this large and varied really. Even if it makes sense for the setting, there's also only so many instances where you can have all the characters altogether, so somebody has to lose out.
Bakugou/Todoroki getting shuffled off was clearly a way to give the title space to focus on other characters, cause those two take up a lot of oxygen in the room.

What I mean is that Bakugou cracking is the start of an story arc for Bakugou, not an arc unto itself. There's a ot of setup for it, but the first time he's really treated as a character rather than a force of nature is in the aftermath of the kidnapping/rescue. This is in large part because the story never gives you his perspective up until that point, which is clearly a deliberate choice.

Bakugou/Todoroki getting shuffled off was clearly a way to give the title space to focus on other characters, cause those two take up a lot of oxygen in the room.

Mmm... I still disagree. We don't get a look inside his head, but we still get commentary on his problems, and we see various attempts at "fixing" them, like pairing up him and Deku in the midterm practical. The way his issues were brought to a breaking point was as much part of a character arc as his growing awareness of them.

I think the difference is that Bakugo, over the first 120 chapters or so, frequently had moments building up to the conclusion of his arc. Pretty much every significant arc had some moment that gave us greater insight into Bakugo's complex or pushed him further into a shifted attitude. At the very least his presence is felt. With Uraraka we've learned some establishing facts in the spring tournament about her background and motivations for being a hero but I don't think those have been touched on again. Instead I think all we've gotten from her are three instances of someone suggesting that she has feelings for Deku (Aoyama, Toga, Tsuyu? or maybe just Uraraka herself). And though these interactions set up a future plot point, they don't really make her a compelling character. While her relationship with Deku will probably be important as the series goes on, I don't think that will be the only development Horikoshi gives Urakaka, or at least I hope not anyways. I would imagine that we would need her to stand on her own as a character before they pair up, or maybe the spring tournament was it since it tackles those ideas but I would hope for something more notable lol. I thought we'd get the start of something from her this arc but she has been MIA haha.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Uraraka's character arc that is "quick" like Tenya/Todoroki at some point in addition to the deku thing going on.

Basically this
Bakugou had a ton of good build up while Uraraka barely gets anything even when compared to other supporting characters. I think the second popularity polls even showcases this since her ranking dropped down a lot. As a Bakugou fan I'm happy but I would like to see the supposed main heroine do something notable.

I mean, fire does eat up oxygen.

*Ahem*

Agreed though. Unfortunately the simultaneous introduction of three new, immensely powerful characters - however great those additions are - probably ate up a lot of the same space that had been freed.

caliph95

Yeah where the fuck is the girls, you have Nejire of the big three and the highest ranked hero on the team outside doing nothing but fighting a big guy I assume how hard is it for them not even a panel

NotLiquid

Mirio is cool but the idea of Deku giving him OFA would be really fucking lame. He's already OP without it and just way too "perfect" in every way. I want to keep seeing Deku push his ceiling with it.

caliph95

After chapters focusing on him practicing OFA and how important it is and how big of a responsibility

He is not losing it, more than likely he would offer it to Mirio and Mirio would refuse it to Mirio and Mirio would refuse

NSESN

Expanding on my idea of Hatsume helping Mirio. If he achieves #1 quirkless she would become the Edna Moda of the series. It's already foreshadowed that she will be important in the future and if she is able to make a quirkless person to reach the top it would help a lot.

Re: Deku giving Mirio OfA, I would actually be pleasantly surprised if, instead of Deku being angsty and offering it to Mirio only for Mirio to refuse, we instead got a mirror of that scene in Chapter 2 where All Might asks if Deku will accept his power: Deku looks like he's going to be modest and unassuming, but then immediately shows his more resolute side, in this case outright telling Nighteye or whoever, "...Of course I won't."

Re: Deku giving Mirio OfA, I would actually be pleasantly surprised if, instead of Deku being angsty and offering it to Mirio only for Mirio to refuse, we instead got a mirror of that scene in Chapter 2 where All Might asks if Deku will accept his power: Deku looks like he's going to be modest and unassuming, but then immediately shows his more resolute side, in this case outright telling Nighteye or whoever, "...Of course I won't."

That'd work too, though I think it'd be a little out of character for Deku to have that high an opinion of himself.

LotusHD

Banned

I would absolutely love that. Just be like:

giphy.webp

Meffer

After chapters focusing on him practicing OFA and how important it is and how big of a responsibility

He is not losing it, more than likely he would offer it to Mirio and Mirio would refuse it to Mirio and Mirio would refuse

I don't think he would offer it, being a hero is his dream. He has a good relation with All Might. He knows he's a hero. He would feel guilty but he would never give up his quirk.

Besides this is the story where he became the greatest hero, remember?

I mean i'd seriously think about it, Deku still has a long way to go and society is starting to show the damage of all might's absence. In a way, him having this force is his dream but this is a responsibility for the world/japan, if we are to believe how trascendental all might was.

I don't know, Mirio has the body, the resolve, and probably would be able to master it pretty quickly. It's shitty but it's a valid argument.

I think if anything, it might be one of those scenes that the series plays out as a deliberately awkward/unfortunate conversation. Ie, All Might calls Deku into his office because he feels he has to at least put the position forward even if he hates it. Then Deku inadvertently blurts out he won't give up the power, before mumbling over how gets that he should but doesn't really want to give up his own dreams.
"Midoriya, my boy, I never should have placed this burden on you."
Insert possible hug here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What if Horikoshi went rogue and had Deku pass OfA to Mirio with Deku becoming the prototype Deku from the oneshot he always wanted 😂 😂

Would never happen of course.

kirblar

At some point Deku's going to lose access to his powers (voluntarily or not) and have to start from scratch because, c'mon- it's a Shonen! :p

I mean, thinking on it - and not realising this previously - Deku could coast on what he's developed of One For All while transferring it to Mirio, similar to what All Might did. Sure, he'd inevitably lose the power, but he could just vaguely assure that he'll figure out some alternative. Just in time for him to dramatically lose his quirk at a bad moment.

I don't think All Might will offer it, but I can absolutely see Deku offering OFA to Mirio and Mirio turning it down.

Once you get there, the Hatsume Batman hero idea falls right into place, assuming Mirio is intended as an ongoing presence.

I think Uraraka and Yaoyorozu deserve a bit more love in the same sense as Bakugou/Todoroki/Iida. They've have small moments, but I think both are ready to actually bust out and do something in the manga. I know it's shonen, but that doesn't mean you can't show the ladies a bit of action.

I am wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. Horokoshi has sketched out a version heroism based heavily on drive and sacrifice. Deku is exceeding in the former, but currently, the worst he's given up is a fully-working hand. It's easy to assume All Might is the sacrifice, but that'd likely be All Might's choice and we're already primed for it to happen. So what will Deku lose?

Interesting point. Moreover, it's a sacrifice that is prepared to give up/risk everything for the sake of even one more innocent life. With All Might and Mirio, each is given a moment where they could either step aside, or take the hit - they each choose to take the hit, and so lose most if not all their power from it. If Deku doesn't lose OFA, then it's kinda hard to place him in similar circumstances - yes he can take a hit meant for someone else, but he'd 'merely' be grievously injured at worst.

So yes, what will he lose?

...This series better not get in the habit of fridging.

NotLiquid

Yeah he's never going to do that

He probably a victim of the sunk cost fallacy anyway

That and/or he probably subscribes to the Abraham Erskine way of thinking. While Mirio definitely comes across as a paragon of virtue he's always been privileged enough to know power while Deku, who is equally as selfless, never has, and put his life on the line despite being fully aware of it. For him it's probably more important that a "symbol of peace" was virtuous without power, having built themselves from zero rather than considering the realistic choice, even if that speaks to the flaws in of All Might.

You can kinda draw a lot of parallels between Deku / All Might and Captain America fittingly enough. They were selfless people who didn't have the strength to exude their qualities, and were given a chance to realize their potential, using an overwhelming opportunity to become a symbol to aspire to.

There's also the possibility that All Might doesn't think Mirio needs OFA. He's already a fantastic hero in his own right, and maybe he believes the power is best served for someone who can't already make a difference despite having the conviction to do so. OFA is a pretty great power in a storytelling sense because it's analogous to the protagonist's own struggle to become stronger - it's only as good as Deku's own desire to overcome his boundaries are.

I don't think All Might will offer it, but I can absolutely see Deku offering OFA to Mirio and Mirio turning it down.

This has basically been my guess as to what would happen the moment bullets that erased quirks were introduced. There are a couple of ways the mangaka could work it

1) Mirio turns it down, Deku's power is his and he'll become a hero on his own abilities quirk or no. Perhaps there will be a way to get his power back etc.

2) Mirio accepts, but the powet doesn't transfer, because deep in his heart Deku isn't willing to let ofa transfer. This was a plot point introduced back in the fight with stain the anime reminded me of that could be called back to.

Either way I expect Mirio to get a rock lee esque big hero moment in a later arc either with a batman esque moveset (like the one the mangaka originally planned for deku to have) or with his powers partially restored (as an excuse to have him power consistent with 1a)

NSESN

I think the biggest problem for Deku will be being able to continue in the Nighteye's office. Nighteye already dislikes him, and after this I can't see how it won't be a toxic environment for Deku.

Still, Deku keeping a power he hasn't been able to control well, that actually usually ends up destroying him and that's needed for the future and for peace it's kind of selfish. We love Deku because he's the MC and is a good kid, but in the end hero "drive" is just one of many aspects required to be a hero, and i can see Nighteye's point in the situation, tbh.

I mean, fucking Mirio Togata has Overhaul shitting his pants, and survived 5+ minutes without a quirk against one of the most deadliest and OP quirks ever, that + considering he was protecting Eri from harm... And on the other side Deku struggles with maintaining 10% of OfA and not end up being a destroyed mess...

Still, Deku keeping a power he hasn't been able to control well, that actually usually ends up destroying him and that's needed for the future and for peace it's kind of selfish. We love Deku because he's the MC and is a good kid, but in the end hero "drive" is just one of many aspects required to be a hero, and i can see Nighteye's point in the situation, tbh.

I mean, fucking Mirio Togata has Overhaul shitting his pants, and survived 5+ minutes without a quirk against one of the most deadliest and OP quirks ever, that + considering he was protecting Eri from harm... And on the other side Deku struggles with maintaining 10% of OfA and not end up being a destroyed mess...

Thats just fucking unfair. Does Deku have 3 years of training and experience and grew up with One for All? Don't put Deku and Mirio in the same shoes.

There is a training/experience gap and thats it. Deku would destroy Overhaul if he had 3 years of experience with OFA. But you know what? He is gonna do it with 8%

NSESN

Thats just fucking unfair. Does Deku have 3 years of training and experience and grew up with One for All? Don't put Deku and Mirio in the same shoes.

There is a training/experience gap and thats it. Deku would destroy Overhaul if he had 3 years of experience with OFA. But you know what? He is gonna do it with 8%

Well, Mirio punched Overhaul so much that even a normal punch from Deku is capable of KO him now.

But that's the point. It's unfair, but it's just the way it went for Deku. At this point, OfA, if it's really needed at the moment for society's stabilization, should be in the hands of whoever is more capable of handling it. And between Deku and Mirio, considering all the training and years of polishing, it's obvious who's the right choice.

I mean, life hasn't been fair at all with Deku, and this is just another situation that proves it. The hard but correct decision is passing the power, even though obviously it's not going to happen.

EDIT: now that i think about it, why did Deku start training seriously when he met All might? If he wanted to be a hero no matter what, he should have tried to build and prepare his body from the beginning considering it was his only "weapon" if he never ended up getting a quirk. Or join some martial arts or whatever, look at Knuckleduster in Vigilantes. It's ok that he was more of an analyst and all of that, but hell, he could have been more prepared physically even then.

But that's the point. It's unfair, but it's just the way it went for Deku. At this point, OfA, if it's really needed at the moment for society's stabilization, should be in the hands of whoever is more capable of handling it. And between Deku and Mirio, considering all the training and years of polishing, it's obvious who's the right choice.

I mean, life hasn't been fair at all with Deku, and this is just another situation that proves it. The hard but correct decision is passing the power, even though obviously it's not going to happen.

EDIT: now that i think about it, why did Deku start training seriously when he met All might? If he wanted to be a hero no matter what, he should have tried to build and prepare his body from the beginning considering it was his only "weapon" if he never ended up getting a quirk. Or join some martial arts or whatever, look at Knuckleduster in Vigilantes. It's ok that he was more of an analyst and all of that, but hell, he could have been more prepared physically even then.

Then the proper thing to do is to give One for All to Endeavor who is #2 hero and stabilize society that way or even Eraserhead. That kind of logic is dumb imo.

You assume that Mirio would have automatic perfect control over One for All.

Because if Deku had time to train One for All, he would obliterate the competition and we wouldn't get development from everyone else. It would be like One Punch Man where Deku just beats everything with his quirk before anyone has a chance to do anything.

How would Deku heal from using One for All anyways without Recovery Girl.

Also there was no need for Deku who has never had a quirk to be super fit and build a strong body. He was bullied by Bakugou and had people not believe in him including his own mother. He was the typical skinny nerd.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol quirked Mirio + OfA would be unstoppable once mastered, but right now Deku has enough control that passing it onto Mirio would be a setback.

Then the proper thing to do is to give One for All to Endeavor who is #2 hero and stabilize society that way or even Eraserhead. That kind of logic is dumb imo.

You assume that Mirio would have automatic perfect control over One for All.

Because if Deku had time to train One for All, he would obliterate the competition and we wouldn't get development from everyone else. It would be like One Punch Man where Deku just beats everything with his quirk before anyone has a chance to do anything.

How would Deku heal from using One for All anyways without Recovery Girl.

Also there was no need for Deku who has never had a quirk to be super fit and build a strong body. He was bullied by Bakugou and had people not believe in him including his own mother. He was the typical skinny nerd.

I thought about Endeavor but actually there's probably a lot of shady stuff about him that automatically discards him as a good candidate.

Mirio wouldn't have automatic control but he's polished his quirk, he's proficient in combat and by the looks of his body his training has been more than a summer camp previous to class. It's obvious his control would come faster and better. And on a crazy society like this one, the faster one controls OfA the better in the end.

And i disagree, specially if bakugou was a piece of shit to him, actually building his body might have work as a counter to the natural proficiency of bakugou's quirk. I know he plays by the typical skinny nerdy type, but even then if you glorify so much the hero atmosphere then i see it as natural to just try and have a body like that. Even being a vigilante or joining the police, though different paths, work in the "way" Deku wanted.

I thought about Endeavor but actually there's probably a lot of shady stuff about him that automatically discards him as a good candidate.

Mirio wouldn't have automatic control but he's polished his quirk, he's proficient in combat and by the looks of his body his training has been more than a summer camp previous to class. It's obvious his control would come faster and better. And on a crazy society like this one, the faster one controls OfA the better in the end.

And i disagree, specially if bakugou was a piece of shit to him, actually building his body might have work as a counter to the natural proficiency of bakugou's quirk. I know he plays by the typical skinny nerdy type, but even then if you glorify so much the hero atmosphere then i see it as natural to just try and have a body like that. Even being a vigilante or joining the police, though different paths, work in the "way" Deku wanted.

Is it really obvious that Mirio's proficiency would come faster? Would he get the same connection to the previous One for All hosts that Deku has in him?

Deku with no quirk and bad teaching from All Might has still managed to do so much in the short amount of time he has had the quirk. All Might literally threw Deku into the test with no practice and it hasn't even been a year where Deku is keeping with people that have had their quirks since birth. Thankfully Gran Torino fixed him up enough that he can develop without killing himself.

All Might said it well, someone that is level 10 that goes to 20 is going to look much better than a level 50 to level 51.

OK so how do you explain Best Jeanist, Todoroki, Eraserhead, Kamui Wood and many more not having super buff bodies? They are all super slim heroes. Look at Mirio's best friend who is freaking powerful but looks like a twig where a burst of wind could knock him over. Why would a quirkless Deku try to fight Bakugou at that age when he knows he doesn't stand a chance? lol

Is it really obvious that Mirio's proficiency would come faster? Would he get the same connection to the previous One for All hosts that Deku has in him?

Deku with no quirk and bad teaching from All Might has still managed to do so much in the short amount of time he has had the quirk. All Might literally threw Deku into the test with no practice and it hasn't even been a year where Deku is keeping with people that have had their quirks since birth. Thankfully Gran Torino fixed him up enough that he can develop without killing himself.

All Might said it well, someone that is level 10 that goes to 20 is going to look much better than a level 50 to level 51.

OK so how do you explain Best Jeanist, Todoroki, Eraserhead, Kamui Wood and many more not having super buff bodies? They are all super slim heroes. Look at Mirio's best friend who is freaking powerful but looks like a twig where a burst of wind could knock him over. Why would a quirkless Deku try to fight Bakugou at that age when he knows he doesn't stand a chance? lol

Am i missing something in the connection? Are you talking about the battle against mind control guy? That tiny instance when he was saved by the other iterations? Lol.

I'm pretty sure deku didn't have any kind of training, and it's not even a thing of buffness, i think strength is the key there. You can be strong if you cultivate your quirk (like suneater), mirio has done both, specially demonstrated in how he completely fucked up overhaul's arm with that quirkless punch and holding up for those 5 minutes.

And deku is keeping up with people because of his intelligence and the immense power of OfA. And has deku done enough with the time he's had? Is it enough to wait? That's the point. It's unfair as fuck, but there are people far more prepared right now. Again, if OfA is really that essential, then waiting more than what should be necessary is no good. And even if there's a chance Mirio struggles with the power (that seriously, how can anyone believe that) even then there's far more chance of him getting to all might levels faster. It's logical.

Am i missing something in the connection? Are you talking about the battle against mind control guy? That tiny instance when he was saved by the other iterations? Lol.

I'm pretty sure deku didn't have any kind of training, and it's not even a thing of buffness, i think strength is the key there. You can be strong if you cultivate your quirk (like suneater), mirio has done both, specially demonstrated in how he completely fucked up overhaul's arm with that quirkless punch and holding up for those 5 minutes.

And deku is keeping up with people because of his intelligence and the immense power of OfA. And has deku done enough with the time he's had? Is it enough to wait? That's the point. It's unfair as fuck, but there are people far more prepared right now. Again, if OfA is really that essential, then waiting more than what should be necessary is no good. And even if there's a chance Mirio struggles with the power (that seriously, how can anyone believe that) even then there's far more chance of him getting to all might levels faster. It's logical.

Before All Might I highly doubt his predecessor was the #1 heroine or the author hasn't made mention of it.

All Might became the symbol of peace not because of One for All but because he dedicated himself to the cause. Mirio who turned his back on Eri due to Nighteye's orders has already failed in that regard even if he made up for it now.

Going by your logic its better to give it to an established hero such as Eraserhead who is a pro so that a new symbol of peace can exist ASAP instead of waiting for Mirio or Deku.

Of course Eraserhead isn't one for the crowds so he would be a shitty symbol of peace but I can't even think of another popular hero/heroine with good amount of strength and intelligent that would also be popular with everyone in the public.

It doesn't matter in the end due to Shiggy being Deku's villain and not Mirio. Their connection from All for One and All Might has been brought up over and over again for a reason.

All in all, I'll say that no, Mirio does not deserve One for All just to replace his lost quirk and Deku is the true successor. They can have subplots of Nighteye attempting the guilt trip on Deku and other stuff but in the end it will be Deku that is the #1 hero and working with class 1-A to save people with One for All. Mirio will be a good mentor and maybe even a hero still but this is Deku's story.

Mirio was considered a candidate, but I do wonder if being quirkless is a part of it. The original OFA user was quirkless, All Right and Deku were/are. We simply don't know enough about the folks in-between that line.

Mirio was considered a candidate, but I do wonder if being quirkless is a part of it. The original OFA user was quirkless, All Right and Deku were/are. We simply don't know enough about the folks in-between that line.

Wasn't the little brother's quirk the ability to store energy and transfer it?

NotLiquid

Wild theory: Mirio likely gets hospitalized during the encounter but killed by Toga who's impersonating Deku, since his display against Overhaul even without the quirk makes him bad news to the League. Deku gets framed as the U.A traitor.

tumblr_inline_ov4m0ozy1a1rbz49e_540.gif

Wild theory: Mirio likely gets hospitalized during the encounter but killed by Toga who's impersonating Deku, since his display against Overhaul even without the quirk makes him bad news to the League. Deku gets framed as the U.A traitor.

tumblr_inline_ov4m0ozy1a1rbz49e_540.gif

Goddamn, that'd be a hell of a swerve.

MIDORIYA IZUKU: JAPAN'S MOST WANTED

God that'd be dope.

Top Bottom