• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

kirblar

I have no idea if this reference would even extend to Japan, but could "Lemillion" be a sneaky "6 Million Dollar Man" reference given the events of this arc?

NSESN

I love the "whey" theory, it is the most funny theory in MHA, on par with the hyuga conspiracy in Naruto. But you guys know that it is almost impossible right?

If anything this episode made Hagakure more suspicious, she is the only 1-A student to not have a quirk reveal yet, and the fact that she ignored Shouji and went alone was suspicious.

He gets 9th on the exams, though? When'd it get established that he was second smartest?

Xenoboy is probably talking about the fact that the handbook has him having a 5/5 score in intelligence but he hasn't done much in the manga to showcase why he deserves that score especially when like you said he got 9th on the exam.

Meffer

tumblr_inline_ov0u8n9MQv1u91tk8_540.jpg

HiResDes

And why are people taking Mineta so seriously, he's meant to come off as kinda creepy and perverted it's how they get away with creating awful characters like Midnight by having this character who basically exudes self awareness of their own absurd sexualization of many poorly written female heroes.

Meffer

And why are people taking Mineta so seriously, he's meant to come off as kinda creepy and perverted it's how they get away with creating awful characters like Midnight by having this character who basically exudes self awareness of their own absurd sexualization of many poorly written female heroes.

Because Gaf goes apeshit to this stuff.

Laiza

Because he gets a disproportionate amount of screen time for how much of a disgusting joke he is.

And the attempts to make him look 'cool' just end up feeling like a way of excusing his bullshit. The fact that he can be cool sometimes doesn't exactly make up for his behavior in the rest of the series.

I'm sure he at least has potential for growth, but on the anime side, he's just an annoying little turd.

HiResDes

Sexualization, implied absurdity of queer characters, male dominate gaze, and the normalization of sexual predation is all written into the very fabric of the show... Mineta is horrid but he's less of an exception than a mere component of the rule.

Laiza

I mean, yeah, it's true, and I complain about all of those, too, whenever they happen to rear their ugly heads. It's just easy (and kind of fun) to complain about the little purple baby since he steals so much attention.

Midnight, on the other hand... I block out all memory of her as soon as I finish watching an episode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dnno, I like the other parts of the show enough to kind of put up with the crap, but there is definitely a lot of crap. However, if I dropped everything I'm currently viewing or reading that has this measure of crap in it, I'd be having trouble finding new material. So, in the end, I'm kind of just putting up with it for lack of choice. Them's the breaks!

Still the lack of female presence in this arc is such a huge fuckup. It's unforgivable in the end. There's no reason why ochako couldn't go with deku, or maybe the "Big 3" girl , or anything. The dick fest in the labyrinth (except for Toga) it's really disappointing and really crushes what the author had going before (Ochako's fight with Bakugou, momo's little arc, etc).

Damn, i think there's not even an eight precept that's female? ...

caliph95

Still the lack of female presence in this arc is such a huge fuckup. It's unforgivable in the end. There's no reason why ochako couldn't go with deku, or maybe the "Big 3" girl , or anything. The dick fest in the labyrinth (except for Toga) it's really disappointing and really crushes what the author had going before (Ochako's fight with Bakugou, momo's little arc, etc).

Don't forget Dragon lady who is the highest ranked hero there

He has no excuse this time since he had several opportunities

Can't tell if Dabi thinks they're idiots or is involved

Ascheroth

Yeah, that aspect is super disappointing.
I remember being hyped as hell when it turned out that Tsuyu, Ochako, Nejire and Dragon Lady were getting involved in the arc seemingly as major players.
Then they basically got relegated to fighting against fodder off-panel.
I really hope something major still happens on their end, otherwise this was a complete waste.

NSESN

I mean the biggest complain is that there are too much characters in this arc so I understand that some characters need to disappear so the plot can move.
There is also the fact that none of girls have anything going for them in this arc like Kirishima refinding his resolve, Suneater finding his confidence and Mirio and Deku whole plot.
Still would be cool to see them fight. On the bright side this arc developed Mina in 2 flashback chapters way more than the rest of the manga.

caliph95

I mean the biggest complain is that there are too much characters in this arc so I understand that some characters need to disappear so the plot can move.
There is also the fact that none of girls have anything going for them in this arc like Kirishima refinding his resolve, Suneater finding his confidence and Mirio and Deku whole plot.
Still would be cool to see them fight. On the bright side this arc developed Mina in 2 flashback chapters way more than the rest of the manga.
Oh yeah silver lining

The girls having nothing going for them it's because horikoshi didn't want it. I love kirishima but we already had focus on him, we still haven't seen Ochako's physical training, and tsuyu is great and could've replaced a lot of people in the labyrinth.

And you know, even though i love kirishima's flashbacks here, maybe, just maybe, the ashido development could've been with her in the actual time.

Wait for bakugou and todoroki to gain the licenses and steal the focus again. This was a chance to develop the rest and horikoshi decided to switch focus to the big 3...

Ascheroth

The girls having nothing going for them it's because horikoshi didn't want it. I love kirishima but we already had focus on him, we still haven't seen Ochako's physical training, and tsuyu is great and could've replaced a lot of people in the labyrinth.

And you know, even though i love kirishima's flashbacks here, maybe, just maybe, the ashido development could've been with her in the actual time.

Wait for bakugou and todoroki to gain the licenses and steal the focus again. This was a chance to develop the rest and horikoshi decided to switch focus to the big 3...
Correction: he switched focus to the 2 male members of the big 3.

It is definitely one of those things that drags the arc down. I also find it weird because of how Horikoshi had put a particular (if mostly implicit) emphasis on how well Ochako and Tsusu were doing in their internship.

They got freaking comic book title fonts. This brief fight was placed on an equal level with what we saw for Kirishima.

It was a big deal, that suggested they were coming into their own as Heroes in an incredible way. You would think that would serve as a strong basis for making sure they could show off in full for the subsequent arc, but apparently not...

NSESN

Kirishima before this arc had much less focus than Ochaco and a bit less than Tsuyu so I don't see the problem with him having big focus here. I think Kirishima is a important character to focus because he is the most proeminent character that we don't see interacting much with Deku. He being close to Bakugo while having a much different personality is a cool thing to the series explore.

And we saw a lot of cool moments from Ochaco physical training, she was able to pin down a villain that outmaneuvered Aizawa.

About Mina, well she isn't a secondary like Kirishima, so the little that she had was already surprising.

Kirishima before this arc had much less focus than Ochaco and a bit less than Tsuyu so I don't see the problem with him having big focus here. I think Kirishima is a important character to focus because he is the most proeminent character that we don't see interacting much with Deku. He being close to Bakugo while having a much different personality is a cool thing to the series explore.

And we saw a lot of cool moments from Ochaco physical training, she was able to pin down a villain that outmaneuvered Aizawa.

About Mina, well she isn't a secondary like Kirishima, so the little that she had was already surprising.

I still don't get your point. You say horikoshi needed characters to disappear, so why are we left with 0 girls for the greatest part of the arc? couldn't he maybe switch a few men there or maybe make lock a female or anything like that? You can't ignore it's a huge flaw, and it's more disappointing coming from him tbh.

This is I think where I feel the criticism of the series goes off the rails. It's absolutely disappointing that this arc had all the female participants exit stage left so early on, but it doesn't erase everything it had going on beforehand. That stuff still happened, the female MHA cast is still better written and more prominent than most of their equivalents in other shonen. One sausage fest of an arc doesn't get rid of that.

NSESN

I still don't get your point. You say horikoshi needed characters to disappear, so why are we left with 0 girls for the greatest part of the arc? couldn't he maybe switch a few men there or maybe make lock a female or anything like that? You can't ignore it's a huge flaw, and it's more disappointing coming from him tbh.
I think the problem is that the fight was off panel. And we know it wouldn't be a problem because all of the time rewinds. Bringing more people or changing minor characters wouldn't help because the focus would still be little.

I think the problem is that the fight was off panel. And we know it wouldn't be a problem because all of the time rewinds. Bringing more people or changing minor characters wouldn't help because the focus would still be little.

...That's actually a point too. If Horikoshi had kept to a limited, chronological kind of perspective, it'd be easier to imagination the excision as just a consequence of that approach. But because he's hopped around so much with the story, that there's one perspective he hasn't hopped to becomes all the more telling.

Ascheroth

At this point I just hope that the arc isn't over after the underground stuff and something important happens outside where Ochako and company get their turn to shine.

caliph95

Twice: Wanna make out
Toga: no

Deku: Wanna make out
Toga: ok
*chapter long sex scene in front of Uraraka*
*All older readers got arrested*

This is I think where I feel the criticism of the series goes off the rails. It's absolutely disappointing that this arc had all the female participants exit stage left so early on, but it doesn't erase everything it had going on beforehand. That stuff still happened, the female MHA cast is still better written and more prominent than most of their equivalents in other shonen. One sausage fest of an arc doesn't get rid of that.

There's been discussion of MHA in several threads in GAF and i've kind of seen the points of people regarding female characterization. Of course this doesn't erase the past stuff that was cool but even then, you can easily make the point that even after all of that female characters are really secondary to the male heroes. Flashbacks, development, focus, is sausage lead most of the time either. For the license exam: focus is todoroki, bakugou, kirishima, damn even kaminari has a cool moment while the girls don't do anything (except for the toga-caimie stuff). Bakugou rescue arc? Momo tags along but her interactions are so forgettable, i can't remember if she actually contributed to the rescue at all...

And now, 4 girl heroes off-screened for most of the arc, ashido needs a kirishima flashback to be seen, and tsuyu? Lol. What's the power of the big 3 girl, again?
No precept is female right? And it's nice that we have toga but come on, ochako is probably the most important female character and she's been preparing a lot and we still don't have a proper arc for her...

NSESN

There's been discussion of MHA in several threads in GAF and i've kind of seen the points of people regarding female characterization. Of course this doesn't erase the past stuff that was cool but even then, you can easily make the point that even after all of that female characters are really secondary to the male heroes. Flashbacks, development, focus, is sausage lead most of the time either. For the license exam: focus is todoroki, bakugou, kirishima, damn even kaminari has a cool moment while the girls don't do anything (except for the toga-caimie stuff). Bakugou rescue arc? Momo tags along but her interactions are so forgettable, i can't remember if she actually contributed to the rescue at all...

And now, 4 girl heroes off-screened for most of the arc, ashido needs a kirishima flashback to be seen, and tsuyu? Lol. What's the power of the big 3 girl, again?
No precept is female right? And it's nice that we have toga but come on, ochako is probably the most important female character and she's been preparing a lot and we still don't have a proper arc for her...
Momo did more than Todoroki in the rescue imo. She was the one that made the tracker to begin with.
And I don't think Yakuza are known to have female members in fiction.

Deku: Too bad I died giving all I got and OFA is gone, now this the story of how Ochako/Nejire became the greatest hero

Lol, yeah. I guess we'll see an important female hero in the previous OfA user.

She does shockwaves or something
I don't care if this was rhetorical or not,
I felt like answering lol

Oh it was a real question, i really couldn't remember at all lol.

Momo did more than Todoroki in the rescue imo. She was the one that made the tracker to begin with.
And I don't think Yakuza are known to have female members in fiction.

Points for momo on that one, i guess.

And the yakuza thing, meh. That argument falls kind of flat when you have a damn magical world of superheroes. The same issue with fantasy authors denying the inclusion of people of color just because "it's not realistic" in my fucking dragon-land magic filled fantasy highlands.

Chase17

*Deku beats super Chisaki*
Narrator box-"20 minutes ago"

Then we get the real main fight of the arc against the greatest boss underling of all time.

Top Bottom