• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

NSESN

From what I can tell it looks like she "destroyed" the existence of the fusion. She can erase the existence of anything, a person, mouse, quirk, or a fusion state. Problem is that up till now she didn't know how to control it.

I see, so Mirio's cape was basically the catalist to that.

Dynasty

unknown.png

Makes much more sense if it's the case.

Ok hopefully it is this.

From what I can tell it looks like she "destroyed" the existence of the fusion. She can erase the existence of anything, a person, mouse, quirk, or a fusion state. Problem is that up till now she didn't know how to control it. She could have just caused overhaul + his lacky to stop existing, but she isn't a murderer. So she went for the more deft control of erasing the existence of the fusion state itself.

She's going to be crazy powerful if she learns to control that. That's Omega level, to use an X-Men term.

Lakuza

oh ok, the correction makes sense. So that means no potential heals for anyone then, atleast not from her (unless they can stretch it to where she can erase the existence of injuries?)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There's a high likelihood that Eri's awakened power also gives her control to bring things back into existence. Which means Mirio is probably going to get his power back.

Overhaul's power is dismantle and repair. Since Eri never learned how to use her quirk she only had one half of her similar power working, the part that makes things not exist. With her awakening it is likely she'll get the "makes exist" part of her power.

She's going to be crazy powerful if she learns to control that. That's Omega level, to use an X-Men term.

Yep yep. It is an OP tier power.

NSESN

It is one of the reason I will miss the other tranlators, not only this one use swears a lot, their translations are always shaky.

In the meantime, it gives a decent enough reason why she wouldn't become a major asset even if the heroes do rescue her. She's a traumatised child with the ability to potentially destroy anything - maybe wait a bit before encouraging her to figure it out.

DNAbro

If she can only revert something to the point of not existing then her power, while super fucking strong, isn't story breaking. I just don't want BS to happen where everything that has happened could be rewinded back in time.

PaulBizkit

unknown.png

Ok, so it rewinds/undoes indefinitely... until it stops existing.

Of course it is just my guess that she'll be able to bring things back into existence.

She'll just rewind a corpse until it disappears...

OMG, DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A BNHA MANGA THREAD. Shit, I thought we had the anime thread only.

DNAbro

I’m also curious if she can revert non living things. Like if a structure collapsed could she revert it and then save people.

PaulBizkit

I’m also curious if she can revert non living things. Like if a structure collapsed could she revert it and then save people.

"You come from nothing
You goin' back to nothing
what've ya lost? noothing!"

The Monty Python said it best, when you die, your "state" goes BACK. So, rewinding a dead body would be making it disappear.

Lunar15

Man, this translation was weird, but god damn, I love that character development. I was worried that she was just going to be this weird stand in for "rescuing girls is what makes a hero!", but they've turned her into someone with a motivation and real impact on the development of the story.

NSESN

Regardless if Eri's power is Deus ex machina or not, I am glad she is the reason Overhaul will fall, really liked that Mirio's cape was used to remind her that you can defy against Overhaul.

LotusHD

Banned
Regardless if Eri's power is Deus ex machina or not, I am glad she is the reason Overhaul will fall, really liked that Mirio's cape was used to remind her that you can defy against Overhaul.

Man, this translation was weird, but god damn, I love that character development. I was worried that she was just going to be this weird stand in for "rescuing girls is what makes a hero!", but they've turned her into someone with a motivation and real impact on the development of the story.

I guess, I just didn't like that we got here when literally the last chapter had her running back to Overhaul out of fear.

Meh. Wanted Deku to go full insane mode this arc. I guess not.

Wouldn't be believable at all.

klaushm

If he is going with that there are clues with the boss stating her quirk is nothing like her parents but similar to overhaul

It is also said that, while this anomaly is rare, it is possible. Chisaki told them that she is not his daughter. He could be hiding the fact that she is his daughter, or he just don't know for sure.I believe she isn't his daughter, but I know it is possible.

About the translation, I don't think that "rewind" is such a bad translation, but I agree it makes things confusing to most, so, it could be better. If we assume that something can be rewinded until it doesn't exist, or rewind the previous action to make it exist again, it is all the same.

Edit: It is on a complete different level if she can only make something exist or not, and there is no middle ground.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
The problem with "Rewind" is that looks time based. "Undo" or "Revert" seems better.

I'm glad that its a translation error because that makes her power make more sense. Except for how OH and Henchman are back to normal? Like, is her power basically magic and can undo a guy getting ripped into literal pieces? That seems much, even by MHA standards.

We are getting to stand powers now

We've been at Stand Powers for a while now tbh Remember Cronenberg guy?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Deku Toga or a Deku Twice Clone could always bite it lol.

We haven't seen Twice use his power to clone another person in awhile. Last time I remember him making a clone was Dabi. Wonder what would happen if he cloned Deku, since the clones have the same appearance, personality, and Quirk as the original.

NSESN

We haven't seen Twice use his power to clone another person in awhile. Last time I remember him making a clone was Dabi. Wonder what would happen if he cloned Deku, since the clones have the same appearance, personality, and Quirk as the original.

He only needs Deku's measurements so he could get that when Toga was transformed

klaushm

I didn't thought of a clone Deku been the one Nighteye saw dying. That would be an amazing fit to Nighteye quirk. Good thinking o/

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I thought Nighteye saw Overhaul take the girl with him and escape too? Unless maybe the scene he saw was Overhaul with girl reaching out towards the ceiling like he was this chapter, before he was unceremoniously split.

DNAbro

I thought Nighteye saw Overhaul take the girl with him and escape too? Unless maybe the scene he saw was Overhaul with girl reaching out towards the ceiling like he was this chapter, before he was unceremoniously split.

If it is more time based, maybe Eri’s Quirk is a hard counter to Nighteye’s predictions.

Lakuza

If it is more time based, maybe Eri's Quirk is a hard counter to Nighteye's predictions.

thats an interesting thought and would make sense.
Nighteye should only be able to predict things that exist and their timeline. Eri making Overhauls fused form not exist at that moment in time should have broken the timeline that nighteye saw. It might also suggest he had no idea that Mirio's quirk would not exist based on his predictions (since if this is right then mirio never lost it in his predictions)

If the black panel is what nighteye saw directly that it could perhaps explain why he saw nothing.

Laiza

Pretty interesting chapter. Eri's the first female character I've seen with a bonkers-ass overpowered quirk (yes, dragon lady's pretty big and strong, but she hasn't shown any feats beyond Mt Lady thus far), and the very nature of that quirk could crack the entire setting wide open. Curious to see how things go from here.

I fully expect it'll be reined in somehow, but not before some of the more dire consequences of this raid get undone.
Give mirio his quirk back please, shonen jump is a magazine of hope not despair.
Relax. He'll recover one way or another.

DNAbro

I think Mirio getting his Quirk back would be the worst thing. Would completely ruin the impact of his sacrifice. I want Mirio to be such a badass that he proves you don't need a Quirk to be an awesome hero. As he said, he will always be Lemillion.

MrCinos

Yeah, if Mirio ever gets his quirk back it should be somewhere near the end of the series after years of Eri training her quirk or people researching it AFTER she recovered from her mental trauma. If ever.

Also, some interesting theory: Eri gets kidnapped by LoV (almost a sure thing IMO), she remains with them in safety until Shigaraki busts AfO from the prison and if we'd go with the route AfO transferring his quirk to Shigaraki - Eri would be a perfect first quirk user to give away her quirk to Shigaraki, willingly too considering how much suffering it brought to her. This way if/when Eri gets to the heroes' side later we won't have another busted overpowered ability on good guys' side and wouldn't be able to magically return Mirio's quirk back.

Although I don't think it'd have happened any time soon and personally I'd prefer Shigaraki helping Eri with her mental trauma and teach her how to use her quirk and not be scared of it. They've both terrible childhood because of their quirks (as well as heroes taking their sweet time to save them) so he'd be the right person to help.

NSESN

Even if Eri's quirk is super broken and can undo everything, even her own undoings. She will take time to learn how to use it. The only reason she used correctly this time is the emotional strenght that she got seeing Mirio's cape.

Or at least it is waht I expect, it would be really weird a child dominate a super complex quirk like hers and UA students still having ways to go with less complex quirks.

Maybe she could train it later, but so far the actual powers Eri has shown are nowhere near as granular and easily used as people have been fearing.

-She instantly rewound her dad to seemingly nonexistence
-When Chisaki used it on the mouse, it seemed to instantly rewind to some tiny smears of organic matter
-On the quirk chart with the families, Eri's was represented with a goopy stain
-Chisaki seemingly knows what he's talking about regarding the science, so I don't see him overlooking the "well maybe it's not permanent, it just rewinds the Quirk to its birth state and then redevelops" argument when he insists it's permanent. I think the temporary bullets just weren't potent enough, and didn't get all of the target's genes/plus-alpha, allowing the body to regenerate them, while the finished version can instantly spread through the entire body and instantly rewind all of the genes/plus-alpha to base organic compounds before the body can react, in which case there's nothing to redevelop over time.
-I've seen people use her breaking up Fused Overhaul as proof she can choose exactly when on a timeline to rewind a person, but under Shonen Law™, a fused person is a new entity. Chisaki blew himself up as part of the fusion process with Nemoto and mixed them both together, and therefore I think what happened is she automatically rewound "Nemoto!Chisaki" to the point that "it" no longer existed: "it" was automatically reduced to "its constituent parts": Chisaki and Nemoto and some rocks I guess. Eri had no conscious control over it.

As a result, I don't think she (at yet, at least) has the ability to do something as fine and precise as fixing a dude with a hole in his chest, or a Quirkless individual: she'd at best just make them a toddler Mirio who's permanently quirkless, or a Nighteye with less wrinkles but still a missing arm and hole in his chest.

Now watch Horikoshi actually explain the rules of her Quirk in the coming weeks and it's totally different to what I'm saying.

caliph95

The powers are getting a bit out there then what I expected for this series with Nighteye seeing the future, that bullet whose powers is to steal things on them including extra limbs on Suneater because it's technically on them and eri.

Pesmerga00

Maybe she could train it later, but so far the actual powers Eri has shown are nowhere near as granular and easily used as people have been fearing.

-When Chisaki used it on the mouse, it seemed to instantly rewind to some tiny smears of organic matter
-Chisaki seemingly knows what he's talking about regarding the science, so I don't see him overlooking the "well maybe it's not permanent, it just rewinds the Quirk to its birth state and then redevelops" argument when he insists it's permanent. I think the temporary bullets just weren't potent enough, and didn't get all of the target's genes/plus-alpha, allowing the body to regenerate them, while the finished version can instantly spread through the entire body and instantly rewind all of the genes/plus-alpha to base organic compounds before the body can react, in which case there's nothing to redevelop over time.
-I've seen people use her breaking up Fused Overhaul as proof she can choose exactly when on a timeline to rewind a person, but under Shonen Law™, a fused person is a new entity. Chisaki blew himself up as part of the fusion process with Nemoto and mixed them both together, and therefore I think what happened is she automatically rewound "Nemoto!Chisaki" to the point that "it" no longer existed: "it" was automatically reduced to "its constituent parts": Chisaki and Nemoto and some rocks I guess. Eri had no conscious control over it.

As a result, I don't think she (at yet, at least) has the ability to do something as fine and precise as fixing a dude with a hole in his chest, or a Quirkless individual: she'd at best just make them a toddler Mirio who's permanently quirkless, or a Nighteye with less wrinkles but still a missing arm and hole in his chest.

Now watch Horikoshi actually explain the rules of her Quirk in the coming weeks and it's totally different to what I'm saying.

Yeah. We are going to have to wait for a clarification. I'm just hoping it is very limited, or at least have some drawbacks.

It seems kinda similar to Kumagawa. While one of my favorite characters, he would only fit into a series like Medaka Box. I really don't need an Eri capable of undoing concepts.

LotusHD

Banned
The powers are getting a bit out there then what I expected for this series with Nighteye seeing the future, that bullet whose powers is to steal things on them including extra limbs on Suneater because it's technically on them and eri.

Yea, Quirks really are getting up there with DFs, Nen, and Stands lol

I don't really have any issue with it, I just find it humorous at how crazy some of these powers are considering that they're all supposed to be biology-based, as opposed to just being straight up magic lol

caliph95

Yea, Quirks really are getting up there with DFs, Nen, and Stands lol

I don't really have any issue with it, I just find it humorous at how crazy some of these powers are considering that they're all supposed to be biology-based, as opposed to just being straight up magic lol
I read comics with mutants and such where the powers are supposed to be biological but are straight up magic so I should be used to it

Its the comics inspiration

Like Scarlet witch, whose mutant power is that basically she can do magic

DNAbro

Some of Overhaul's previous statements on how her Quirk can only destroy and kill people makes me think that she definitely can't heal someone back to a healthy state. Of course that could just be him further abusing her. If she can heal people by rewinding she shouldn't have great control over it and I'm hoping that it doesn't end up being that she tries to heal Nighteye like that and she gets it right the first time.

Veelk

Banned
I read comics with mutants and such where the powers are supposed to be biological but are straight up magic so I should be used to it

Its the comics inspiration

Like Scarlet witch, whose mutant power is that basically she can do magic

Yeah, I don't mind it either, but I do hope one day we get a battle shonen that is sorta grounded in it's rules.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Caught up on the anime (stuck to the dub). Man Eric Vale is great as Shigaraki.
Can't wait for Season 3 with the Camping Trip and... oooooooooh shiiiiiit. The anime community is going to explode!

And hey, the current manga arc seems to be wrapping up as well.

Top Bottom