• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: the Movie (2017) trailer - 2D, FIM cast [up: Trailer #2]

New trailer July 2 EDIT: The US trailer has incorrect shading, the German trailer better reflects how the movie looks.
Older teaser trailer
June 30 EDIT: German trailer with different footage
August 3 EDIT: 30-second song clip
September 12 EDIT: Trailer 2 (YouTube)

My view is that the CGI is terrible, but everything else looks nice. Still a weird change from the show art style, but I'll get used to it.

UPDATES
Movie will be 99 minutes long
German trailer with different footage
July 15 news roundup
30-second song clip
Trailer 2

April%2B6%2BPoster%2BFINAL.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Release date: October 6, 2017
Director: Jayson Thiessen (show director of Friendship is Magic)
Writers: Meghan McCarthy (former head writer of Friendship is Magic), Rita Hsiao (assistant writer for multiple Disney movies)
Produced by: Hasbro Studios, Allspark Pictures, DHX Media/Vancouver
Distributed by: Lionsgate

Guest stars:
Emily Blunt - Tempest Shadow
Zoe Saldana - Captain Celaeno
Michael Peña - Grubber
Liev Schreiber - The Storm King
Kristin Chenoweth - Princess Skystar
Uzo Aduba - Queen Novo
Taye Diggs - Capper
Sia - Songbird Serenade

In order to stop a threat to the town of Ponyville, the "Mane Six" – Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity – must leave their home kingdom of Equestria, meeting new friends and overcoming challenges in the process.

This movie is based on the Friendship is Magic TV series, and every character from there will have the same voice actor as in the show.

Movie announcement thread, though note things have changed significantly since then, notably with the distributor and writer.

The new animation style looks way out of place on the old, simple character designs.

It's amazing on the new characters, though, who have some of the best designs the show has to offer. Looking forward to it.

I spotted Starlight Glimmer in one of the early shots with Trixie shooting off fireworks. So it looks like she's in the film after all, though I'm sure her role in it will either be a cameo or relatively minor.

PSqueak

Banned
The new animation style looks way out of place on the old, simple character designs.

Yeah.

Insert zero punctuation "stranger thinly disguised as your best friend" analogy here.

But it looks cute.

Not a fan of the glitter on the logo, japan got the right logo.

Some of that CG on the airship thingy looked reeeeally rough.

But otherwise, I think it's looking good. That first shot of Canterlot was impressive and all the FiM characters came out well, even though the style is a bit of a departure.

Can't believe there was more Trixie in this trailer than Celestia, lol.

PSqueak

Banned
Land ruled by two demi-gods that can control the cosmos.

But here comes a guy with a magic stick.

Celestia and Luna's powers continue to look more like a charade to keep ponies in check!

Well, Celestia's more than anything, she just can't stop jobbing. Like that one Season Finale that is shown that she basically would have lost to every single antagonist in the show...and a couple of industrialists?!

Wow, that looked terrible. The dialog is pretty cringy, but I'm sure it'll blow through the box office due to bronies.

I kinda feel sad for little kids wanting to see this in the cinema to find it full with young adult men...

jph139

Is this getting a theatrical release? Either way, kind of crazy that it's still big enough to warrant a movie, honestly - I feel like kid's franchises usually don't survive more than a year or two without getting a reboot nowadays. Even if it's died down among its internet fanbase (I know I don't hear much of anything about it anymore), it must still be killing it with toy sales and such.

Well deserved, honestly. From what little I've seen it's a good show.

Fat4all

Banned
Is this getting a theatrical release? Either way, kind of crazy that it's still big enough to warrant a movie, honestly - I feel like kid's franchises usually don't survive more than a year or two without getting a reboot nowadays. Even if it's died down among its internet fanbase (I know I don't hear much of anything about it anymore), it must still be killing it with toy sales and such.

Well deserved, honestly. From what little I've seen it's a good show.

7 seasons (and a movie!)

Also, best or worst timing for this thread? >_>

Yeah, no kidding.

As for the film itself, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm not going to be seeing it on release day though, seeing as how that's Blade Runner 2049 day and I'll probably be trying my damnedest to watch that multiple times in the theaters.

Might see this after that though. Not sure.

Damn, the CGI looks like shit, at first. I got more used to it as it went on.

Where is Starlight Glimmer though? Does she finally fuck off at the end of season 7?

Anyway I'm gonna definitely get the Blu Ray.

Wow, that looked terrible. The dialog is pretty cringy, but I'm sure it'll blow through the box office due to bronies.

I kinda feel sad for little kids wanting to see this in the cinema to find it full with young adult men...
The dialogue is pretty much exactly what I'd expect from an MLP movie trailer.

And I highly doubt bronies will be able to carry the movie.

Where is Starlight Glimmer though? Does she finally fuck off at the end of season 7?

Starlight is in, look at the shot of Trixie

You can see Starlight early on in the trailer in the shot where Trixie's lighting up some fireworks. She's in the film, but she's probably just there as a minor role or a cameo appearance.

That being said, I'm thinking you're in for disappointment if you're hoping they get rid of Starlight in the show. If anything, I'd wager we see her role get bigger down the road.

Are bronies still much of a thing? I remember the early days where there was mountains and mountains of fan work, but have no idea what that community is like in recent years

Are bronies still much of a thing? I remember the early days where there was mountains and mountains of fan work, but have no idea what that community is like in recent years
Still a thing, but has definitively subsided. If you go on to Equestria Daily, the aggregator for MLP fan stuff, they still post a lot.

UberTag

People need to temper their expectations accordingly.
Will probably have a modest opening weekend in the back half of the Top 10 and be bounced to matinee screenings and bargain theaters after two weeks or so.

Trailer was a little Pinkie-centric for my liking. Suspect they overloaded it with her shtick for marketing purposes and the film will be decidedly more balanced.

PSqueak

Banned
It's still a thing, but I'm pretty sure it's considerably smaller nowadays to how it was even just a couple years ago.

Still a thing, but has definitively subsided. If you go on to Equestria Daily, the aggregator for MLP fan stuff, they still post a lot.

It's not smalle, it's not subsided.

People just stopped giving a shit about smearing them.

That's what has been dailed back, the hate against bronies, people went back to not caring.

People need to temper their expectations accordingly.
Will probably have a modest opening weekend in the back half of the Top 10 and be bounced to matinee screenings and bargain theaters after two weeks or so.

Trailer was a little Pinkie-centric for my liking. Suspect they overloaded it with her shtick for marketing purposes and the film will be decidedly more balanced.

I did notice a lot of Pinkie and thought the same thing or marketing. Pinkie and Rainbow seem to be the strongest mascots for the show franchise.

The greatest crime this trailer commits is no Tabitha.

Best VA shafted!

I assume the more surface fans dropped out along the way after a season or two, the more extreme 'fans' that give fandoms a bad rep either moved onto the new shiny internet thing or now keep to themselves, leaving a good (but smaller) portion of dedicated people that stuck with the show all the way through and don't take themselves too seriously.

At least, that's how I think fandoms tend to usually go, haha. I don't follow the show itself, but there's a group of people who do a series called 'Bronies React' where they keep pointing fun at details/themselves and it's p. fun seeing them rip on the movies and the more obvious 'merchandise-driven' plot points. They seem to be thrilled the show has gone for so long and any show that has 7 seasons and like 6 movies must still have a substantial following.

Fat4all

Banned
At least, that's how I think fandoms tend to usually go, haha. I don't follow the show itself, but there's a group of people who do a series called 'Bronies React' where they keep pointing fun at details/themselves and it's p. fun seeing them rip on the movies and the more obvious 'merchandise-driven' plot points.

it's alllll about dat merch!

The MLP: The Movie toys finally started popping up regularly around me.

Camjo-Z

That CG. Woof.

Also, I hate when a series gets a movie adaptation with the original cast but the celebrity guest stars who say two lines get top billing over the "no-name" VAs. I mean, it's obvious why movie studios do it but it's still shitty.

it's alllll about dat merch!

The MLP: The Movie toys finally started popping up regularly around me.
making money off cartoons is all about having everything take place on the same few locations to avoid needing new sets...
...until you make enough money from merch that you have to make everything take place on different locations to start making new toys. what irony :'(

I don't doubt that the sheer amount of merch had a huge hand in keeping the show alive for the most part, haha, but I'm glad the quality didn't seem to drop a lot and the people that enjoy it can keep enjoying it.

back in the early, EARLY MLP brony days...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26205868&postcount=305

plus much more, from what I've glanced over.
Oh wow, that brings back memories.

A four minute short film I worked on is going to be shown in front of this movie, for 'Hanazuki - Full of Treasures', another one of Hasbro's properties.

We are very aware that it'll be seen by a confused, inpatient, and possibly hostile audience, but I'm proud anyway.

Top Bottom