• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My pet peeve.. software keyboards on phones are awful - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

Right I'm starting to get to the end of my tether with the software keyboard on my Android phone (S8) and also on my iPad Mini (stock Apple keyboard).

They're just awful. The one thing I'm most annoyed about is the complete lack of innovation with the layout. Touch screens were supposed to allow button placement where it suited best not sticking rigidly to bygone input methods.. yet almost every popular keyboard I can see still crams everything into the bottom half of the screen. The usual layout. Punctuation and enter keys all crammed into the nooks and crannies at the bottom where you (or certainly I) manage to hit them more often than the letter keys I'm intending to hit.

My favourite mistake seems to be trying to hit the space bar but hitting either the 'n' or 'm' or period keys which then causes endless problems with auto-complete.

Then there's auto complete and spell checking which in every keyboard I've tried are inexplicably combined into the same function. Seriously this is super frustrating. Auto complete can aggressively add in words you obviously never wanted but turning it off also turns off some nice basic error correction which tends to work reasonably well. But combined with auto-complete it means you end up typing away quickly and when you read back there's the most random of crap populating the text to the point sometimes you don't even know what you were trying to type in the first place!

I kind of miss the good old T9 predictive text of old Nokia style phones. The predictive text was based largely on how many key presses were made and guessing from the keys you pressed what word you intended. It worked far more often than not and when you fumbled the wrong key it did a good job predicting what you meant. Now with modern keyboards I type in a couple of letters, accidentally hit space and get an 8 letter word filled in in its place! It just is user unfriendly and makes no sense. It's seriously pissing me off now.

They also seem to be really quite glitchy and slow at times, this on a £600 latest handset. The Google keyboard was awful for this. Constantly had issues when for a split second it thinks I'm trying to swipe and it messes up. Then even simple things like trying to highlight text or place the cursor in the right place can be poorly designed and never put it in a logical place.

It's getting to the stage where I have some simple ideas for a decent new software keyboard experience and if I had even the slightest idea where to start I'd seriously consider designing my own alternative.

So... does anyone know of ANY software keyboards that are consistently good, that give good error correction when you make obvious mistakes but without inserting words you clearly never intended to type and don't run slowly or erratically!? I've tried Swype and Swift key and they all have their idiosyncrasies that don't gel with me. HELP!

TL:DR Software keyboards on phones and tablets seem to be universally awful for me and I've yet to find one that works as well as it should in this day and age. Poorly designed layout and features that works against the user more often than works for them. Or maybe I'm just hopeless.

NeOak

The On Screen Keyboard in Windows Phone is GOAT. There is an iOS version iirc. US only though.

DavidDesu

I mean is there any unconventional keyboards. I've seen one where it just has one line of all the characters and you type away on that. It was a nice idea and sort of worked ok but it was glitchy as hell and ran my battery down.

One simple change that could be made would be to have the space bar take up the entire length of the keyboard underneath. Put punctuation and enter keys above the letters so you can't accidentally hit them. That would solve many of my issues.

And of course add in sensible spelling correction and be able to switch off the ridiculous auto complete...

jem0208

It's no longer being updated but Fleksy on android is superb.

Also if you're willing to give it some time Nin (keyboard 69 on Android) is very good.

Nin is bizarre though you really need to give it time. It’s two thumb swipe so it’s got a serious learning curve. Once you do it’s very quick and accurate though.

The On Screen Keyboard in Windows Phone is GOAT. There is an iOS version iirc. US only though.

The iOS version has possibly the worst guessing algorithm out of all the swipe based keyboards I've tried. But hey at least it crashes less often than Swype and doesn't eat valid input on backspace as often. Such functionality!

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's just you. I don't know anyone anymore who has issues with on screen keyboards and can't type at good speeds. Even the standard iOS keyboard is more than good once you've used it for awhile and adapt with muscle memory.

I'm with you. I've probably sent as many text messages as lots of teenage girls combined, and some days, I just want to break open the API or the programming behind the touch algorithm and say, "OK, WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT ME TO DO".

I use hacker's keyboard for android now, and have for a couple years. I need my CTRL-C CTRL-V, END, PG-UP etc.. all the functionality is right there and yet Google-Android says, Nope, gotta use our BS touch system, tehe.

C'mon, developers. There's a get rich quick scheme here somewhere still I think

Edit: sent from mobile. Also, kinda funny how the people promoting swiftkey are typing like 2 sentences max. Don't hurt me, luv you guys. I gave up on any autocorrect library a long time ago. I think I tried typing in the same word about 15 times and it just had trouble learning me. NO HUMAN, U DON'T WANT TO TYPE THANK U....U WANT SPANK U...KTHX

Tobor

It's just you. I don't know anyone anymore who has issues with on screen keyboards and can't type at good speeds. Even the standard iOS keyboard is more than good once you've used it for awhile and adapt with muscle memory.

Him and a small minority. For the rest of us, software keyboards are just fine.

CfCYXdaW4AAuQn4.jpg

I thought there was a setting on SwiftKey for Android that lets you type with the oldschool number pad instead of a keyboard.

Or if SwiftKey doesn't do it I'm sure there's another one that does exactly that.

I hate touchscreen so much.

One day, real textpads will return on high end and mainstream smartphones.

Only then will a phone be perfect.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I hate touchscreen so much.

One day, real textpads will return on high end and mainstream smartphones.

Only then will a phone be perfect.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Blackberry. Even tiny chiclet keys are better than non responsive touch screen garbage.

mrkgoo

Ah, T9 nostalgia thread. Those were the days.

But I hear you OP. I do the "n" instead of space a lot.

But really, thnerrs no way around it. You are just at the mercy of the auto correct. Just hope that your (and my) problem gets accounted for as time goes on. That is, spurious "n" "m" inputs get considered as spaces.

It's tough though, to program for te hundreds of different ways people use keyboards. To an extent, it's laziness of fingers not reaching quite down far enough or weird angles of the thumb etc. the best thing is to learn the intricacies of u our own input and try to correct them. People say you are fighting years of muscle memory, but if you change phones or an OS updates you'd have to change also. It's just our world now.

I'm mostly ok. It's like the input zone for the back button on my messages app enlarged and I had to train myself to tap in a different area.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I like the Windows Phone KB and word flow but my real pet peeve is iOS utterly ridiculous cut/paste and autocorrect which is shameful for 2017. Like, the iTunes of text interaction.

NeOak

The iOS version has possibly the worst guessing algorithm out of all the swipe based keyboards I've tried. But hey at least it crashes less often than Swype and doesn't eat valid input on backspace as often. Such functionality!
Swype crashes are actually a feature.

#altfacts

Just force yourself to use it until the Stockholm Syndrome sets in and you make believe that it's acceptable. Phone/tablet/screen keyboards will always be as if you're crippled compared to an actual keyboard.

clemenx

Banned
T9 was garbage driven by necessity. I hated texting until I got a smartphone.

Yeah lol, praising old typing is just too much nostalgia.

I agree it was an awesome solution for typing with the numerical keyboard but it's not even light years close to having a full keyboard.

bosseye

I've never got used to having no buttons. I spent 50% of my mobile writing time correcting spelling errors. This post took me 5 minutes.

Proof you didn't read the OP.
It's by far the best. There's no better keyboard on the market. GBoard is ok, but isn't accurate. Microsofts one isn't great. Swype has been superceded and stock ones are awful. Swiftkey is just the best out there, even if op doesn't like the idiosyncrasies.

Cyanity

Banned
I use the google keyboard with all autocorrection turned off (and I mean ALL). It frees up that much more of your screen when you're no longer given the list of suggested words AND helps you become a better touchscreen typer as well. I highly recommend it.

DavidDesu

Installed SwiftKey again as you guys insisted. Honestly it's not much better than the rest. My issues are all the punctuation keys crammed in at the bottom and it's very easy, especially when one finger typing to hit the wrong g thing when you're trying to hit the space key.

Oh and I tried writing Photoshop and got 'photos hopefully' auto replaced... FUCK OFF SwiftKey. That's exactly the kind of crap I'm sick of.

Installed SwiftKey again as you guys insisted. Honestly it's not much better than the rest. My issues are all the punctuation keys crammed in at the bottom and it's very easy, especially when one finger typing to hit the wrong g thing when you're trying to hit the space key.

Oh and I tried writing Photoshop and got 'photos hopefully' auto replaced... FUCK OFF SwiftKey. That's exactly the kind of crap I'm sick of.
SwiftKey learns the more you use it, once you type photoshop once, it adds it to its dictionary. It's learns your idiosyncrasies and adapts to them. You could also turn off autocorrect, if you want.

Groof

It's no longer being updated but Fleksy on android is superb.

Also if you're willing to give it some time Nin (keyboard 69 on Android) is very good.

Nin is bizarre though you really need to give it time. It's two thumb swipe so it's got a serious learning curve. Once you do it's very quick and accurate though.

RIP fleksy the best of the best. still worth a shot though, OP

FSLink

Banned

Change the settings so auto correct is off, and change the UI to be bigger.

swiftkey learns what words you use. you wont get the photoshop thing again if you force it the first time. its probably the best keyboard available now.

Yudoken

I want a smartphone like the Note 4 but with a keyboard like the Motorola Milestone.

Swiftkey is good but I really miss that keyboard.

spekkeh

Banned
Both Swiftkey and Google Keyboard are awful. Especially if you need to go back and change something. Cursor jumps all over the place. You press backspace and it randomly deletes a word on the other side of the input field. You want to add a letter and it adds a complete word inbetween then duplicates the illegible word someplace else. SwiftKey got nigh on unusable after a couple of months. Google is slightly more stable but doesn't learn shit (I'm still having difficulties typing in my son's name one year later, where it autocompletes to something completely different) and don't get me started about trying to backspace a blank space if you want to insert or remove a punctuation mark, only to find it starts deleting the preceding word. (and then good luck trying to put your cursor on the missing letter and start typing, duplicate letters everywhere).

DavidDesu

So, no one has made a T9 smart phone keyboard?

Honestly this would work so well. Much larger target area combined with auto correction that was spot on years ago. Could bang out whole paragraphs error free. There's just too much going on and auto correct algorithms basically don't take into account hitting space or the period key when you meant to hit 'n' or 'm' or vice versa. That's where 90% of my issues seem to arise.

And yeah I know I can tell SwiftKey or the other keyboards to use "Photoshop" next time but those kind of crazy random suggestions get filled in all the time like that when it was NOTHING like what I was typing (it added in several letter more than I key pressed!). There is a better way just seems no one has actually designed it yet.

as someone who grew up with a t9 phone and used it to type so often that i got to a point where i could text one handed with my hand in my desk, t9 fucking sucks. a good software keyboard on a decently sized modern phone blows it out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom