• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Korigama

60GB PS3, since 2007. Digital games still work, but as of today, won't read any discs at all, seeming that they don't even spin when loaded (blue light comes on, no icon for the disc). No intention to give it up, but if repairs are necessary, it will have to wait.

Erdrick

Just noticed tonight that my launch PS3 was blinking red. YLOD for the 2nd time. I've had it since the last week of November 2006 and sent it in for service once already back in June 2010. I don't plan on buying a PS4 anytime soon, so I can bite the bullet and spend another 130 bucks+ on repairing it again. I mostly use it as my movie player anyway, these days. Ah well... I hope I can get it back soon.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yesterday, my PS3 stopped reading Bluray discs :/ I was playing GTA5 online with my sister, and we failed a mission. I didnt get up the menu where we could select to restart the mission. About 2 minutes later the PS3 froze, and when i restarted it, the disc-drive started making some louder noises when it tries to read the Bluray discs. I did try a DVD and that works fine, so its most likely just the blue laser diode that died. The PS3 was bought in Februrary 2010, it is a 120GB Slim model.

When i'm going to send it in for repair, what do i have to do on the PS3 itself? Do i just use the formating option, so that i delete everything on it? Then make a 2nd account on it, delete the main one, and re-assign the 2nd account as the main one? Do i need to deactivate it, how do i do that?

Yesterday my PS3 died while my gf was watching a shitty movie :'(
Pal launch PS3... I know I'm going to regret this system.

Now I don't know if I buy another one or if I go for PS4 directly
I always hear Iwata saying it when I write "directly" lol
... why is there no BC !!! >_<

I have a huge PSN / PS+ backlog and I must finish GTA 5 so that's an important criteria.

Maybe I can play most of the games with my brother if I use my account on his PS3 (iirc I can download my PSN games on his system and play them later). Also I play Rock Band, Rocksmith and Singstar sometimes so I would have to say good bye to these games and all the songs I've bought (not Rocksmith... I'm bad at playing real guitar, just good with a plastic guitar lol).

I know I can find a PS4 at launch so it's not something to be taken into account (and at the RRP not the indecent price some will pay on eBay).

PS4? PS3 for 6-8 months then PS4?

edit : maybe I can borrow a PS3 to someone who is buying a PS4 at launch but doesn't have a huge backlog. 1st time in my life a system dies in my hands :'(

Nothing seems to work... the PS3 refuses to boot :'(

I think I'm going PS4 but I'll have few games to play... maybe time to play my PS Vita / 3DS / Wii U games.

Erdrick

Got my shipping box today. Packed up my launch 60 gig PS3 and shipped it off to Sony for repairs. I expect it back by next week. That's one thing I liked more about older consoles. Less moving parts and less things to break.

I don't think they're repairing 'fats' anymore. They'd likely offer you a Slim/Super Slim.

They still send out refurbished fats.

So, I was playing some Dark Souls last night and after the P5 announcement, I was just sitting on my couch thinking, "I may have had to replace my laser a few times, but I'm pretty happy with how long my PS3 has lasted."

BAM.

Game froze and it just kept blinking red. Got the YLOD.

I thought about getting a new PS3 but I use my BC way too much. Bit the bullet and got Sony to repair it. Ugh.

Mgs 4 80gb phat ps3
June 12 2008 - dec 03 2013
Fuck this fucking earth.

I know there are answers in this thread, but I can't bring myself to look. How much am I looking at for a réapparu or should I just get a brand new slim. I can't bring myself to throw it away T.T

My MGS4 80Gb might be dead. I'd like some opinions on it.

While playing GTA 5, the system turned off and the red light continued to flash. I could not turn it back on. I powered it down completely for the night. This morning I turned it on, and it booted up as normal. I immediately turned it back off.

What's the diagnosis?

Happened to me when I was playing TLoU. I think something is overheating.

My ps3 fat is still alive, though.

Same exact thing happened to me, but with the Motorstorm 80GB SKU. Playing GTAV and the system froze and turned off with the red light blinking. Trying to turn it on the light turns blue and then yellow and then the 3 blinking red lights come up.

The machine was a bit dusty, so I cleaned that, tried to power it back on and same thing happened. I don't expect Carnby or isuzu to reply, but is this something that can be salvaged or am I SOL? Should I just let it rest for the day and then try again tomorrow? Should I try opening and taking out the HDD and then putting it back in?

Protag

Banned
Gaf, ive had my ps3 slim since december of 2010.

Its been fine other than a few instances of freezing and double beeps when turning off (that i atill dont know why it occured).

For the past year, ive been hearing a noise in the disc drive that sounds like its grinding something withing the box. It sounds very mechanized, like a "dern-ern" robotic sound. When it happens it doesnt affect gameplay at all. It hust happens often now.

What is this noise? Its seperate from the ps3 Loading sound.

Its just annoying and making me nervous, i called sony support and they said its normal? But i feel as if they do that to get you off the phone.

Is this a sign the disc drive is dying?

FranXico

23 March 2007 (PS3 Euro Launch) - 30 November 2013 (1 day after PS4 Euro Launch)

I was a very long time away from gaming (not since the SEGA MegaDrive!), and got it to play all the PlayStation games I had missed out on over the years. I loved it. Being backwards compatible, it allowed me to enjoy God of War 1 and 2 for the first time, along with Metal Gear Solid 1-3 and a few PS1 games.

I gradually started using it only for PS3 games, with all the older generation games either in digital format or HD remastered ports. Uncharted, MotorStorm, Killzone, Batman Arkham games, Mortal Kombat... I enjoyed the hell out of my PS3. Lots of quality gaming time.

Then it died, one day after the PS4 arrived.

Already replaced it with a super slim, still wondering if it's worth having it fixed at Sony to keep it as a collector's item. The last backwards compatible console Sony ever made.

Tom_Cody

Bought my system in February 2007 and it just died. I turned the system on, started up a DVD, and after about 30 seconds the system shut off. When I tried to turn it on again the red light just blinked a few times and then went off. I tried it again the next day and got the same result. It hasn't booted up again since it failed that first time.

I would have happily upgraded to a PS4 at this point but that system obviously isn't backwards compatible and there are still a bunch of PS3 games I want to play before I transition into the next generation.

I'm trying to figure out what my options are here. There is a ton of scattered information online about PS3 issues. Best case scenario I would would like to get it repaired so I can use it for another few months before moving onto the PS4.

So mine just died again. I mainly use if as a bluray drive. I still have a backlog. What's the consensus on the new super slims? Or should I try and find. Regular slim?

AkuMifune

Banned
Brand new super slim: PS3 freezes on black screen everytime I die in Resistance 3. Also when playing R3 after a bit the music will continue and the sound effects stop, then game freezes but music continues, then PS3 just freezes. In my initial report to which I applied my service request, I said I thought it was a disc reading issue, but last night when deleting content off the HDD it also froze. Also, I forgot to tell them that my Ethernet port shit the bed after a day of downloading from PSN and now I have to use wi-fi.

Looks like I have a trifecta of errors. My question for anyone who has gone through the repair process, will they check for the other stuff I didn't mention or only look to resolve my complained issue?

I'd just ditch the thing if I didn't have such a PS3 backlog I'm determined to get through.

Zakkath

I think my 60 GB launch PS3 died tonight. The red light is flashing and it refuses to boot up.

Same thing happenned to me tonight (80G fat model). My copy of The Last of us is still inside and I can't eject the disc because it's an early fat model :/

-Is there any way to transfer my data to a new HDD if I buy a slim ?
-Or can I put the HDD into a new console and upload my saves to the cloud using PS+ ?

RiZ III

My beautiful 60GB fat has died T_T. I bought it in November 2008 I think. It was right after they announced that ps3 would be losing backwards compatibility.

I tried applying new thermal paste to it today but no luck. Even if it worked it would only have been a temp fix.

I hate the fact that Sony removed backwards compatibly. It's the only reason I bought the ps3 when I did, I didn't want to miss out on that feature. 600 friggen bucks. Ugh.

Idk where else to ask it so I'll do it here
my ps3 keeps locking up (having to restart it by holding the button on the ps3) when I use the psn store...
every time I try to download a game or demo it just instantly freezes as soon as I click on download

It's been like that for weeks now I figured they'd update the firmware to fix it or w/e (seems to be a common problem when I google it) but no dice..

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Welp, looks like today was the day... RIP MGS4 80GB PS3 :(

They really do a shitty job of making consoles these days. This is the first console that has ever died on me, good job Sony.

Not sure what my options are now...

Doesn't help that Sony released a gimped PS4 with far less media capabilities so I can't even use my PS4 to replace my PS3's functionality.

I guess I have to send it in because no way in hell am I losing my PS2 BC and SD card slot by downgrading to a slim.

edit: The annoying thing is that this came out of nowhere. There were no symptoms of a YLOD about to happen whatsoever.

I guess I have to send it in because no way in hell am I losing my PS2 BC and SD card slot by downgrading to a slim.

edit: The annoying thing is that this came out of nowhere. There were no symptoms of a YLOD about to happen whatsoever.
I have a MGS4 PS3 and am wondering how much Sony is going to charge you to fix it. I use the SACD features of the phat model and I would hate to lose that, as well.

GSG Flash

I have a MGS4 PS3 and am wondering how much Sony is going to charge you to fix it. I use the SACD features of the phat model and I would hate to lose that, as well.

From what I'm reading on the internet, it looks like $130+shipping, they send you a refurb of the same model as a replacement, or you can downgrade to a 120GB slim for $99(which is unacceptable to both of us).

I'll give them a call when I have the time and find out, maybe they've dropped the price since the PS4's release.

Is proper reballing with leaded solder really a good long-term fix?

I'm curious about this too. If it fixes the PS3 for good, then I might just open it up and fix the damn thing myself.

GSG Flash

Well I took apart my PS3, scraped off the old thermal paste and put new one on (Cooler Master ThermalFusion 400, which is actually better than Arctic Silver 5: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/geek_tested_17_thermal_pastes_face?page=0,1) and it's still no good :(

I really do think that all phats, and maybe even the slims(if Sony never identified and fixed the issue), are ticking time bombs because I, like most people here, take good care of my electronics. In fact, outside of the PS3, I can't think of anything else of mine that has ever died.

It also doesn't help Sony's case that my PS3 was almost dust free inside and I used it in a very cool basement, where it was cool even in the scorching hot summer days, so overheating really shouldn't be an issue.

I'm kind of worried about my PS4 now, that 36 month warranty might not be enough :/

DonMigs85

If they dealt with the unleaded solder ball cracking issues the PS4 should be pretty reliable, plus it doesn't generate as much heat I believe.

GSG Flash

If they dealt with the unleaded solder ball cracking issues the PS4 should be pretty reliable, plus it doesn't generate as much heat I believe.

That's exactly what I'm scared of though, that they didn't deal with it :S

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
So I have a 80GB phat PS3 which I brought brand new about 5 years ago and for about the past year and a half it is much louder than normal and honestly I am fearful that one day it is just gonna give out on me and die. So was it the phat models in general that had problems or do the slim models suffer from them as well?

DonMigs85

So I have a 80GB phat PS3 which I brought brand new about 5 years ago and for about the past year and a half it is much louder than normal and honestly I am fearful that one day it is just gonna give out on me and die. So was it the phat models in general that had problems or do the slim models suffer from them as well?
I haven't heard too many reports of slims breaking. My cousin had the last fat model (the one with 65nm GPU/CPU) and it still suffered from a YLOD after 4 years.

iclash

My 80gb MGS phat just died (I think). I was playing Ratchet and Clank and it shut off without warning, beeped and started blinking red. I'll probably pick up a new super-slim, any ideas on how to recover my save files? I'm thinking if I can get it to turn on for 20 minutes I can get the saves. Is there a "towel trick" for the PS3?

I'll give them a call when I have the time and find out, maybe they've dropped the price since the PS4's release.
Any updates on this?

I've had my phat PS3 for four years now. Should I really be worried? The fan is loud now, but I've not had any real issues with it. Most of its life was spent as a blu-ray player, but it has been getting heavy use for the past four months.

GSG Flash

Any updates on this?

I've had my phat PS3 for four years now. Should I really be worried? The fan is loud now, but I've not had any real issues with it. Most of its life was spent as a blu-ray player, but it has been getting heavy use for the past four months.

Yup, it would cost me $145.77(incl tax) + return shipping. I think I'm going to pass on that, as painful as it is to lose all the advantages of the phat, because I know it's going to end up YLOD'd again.

I tried to revive the thing using the hairdryer trick, so that I could atleast upload my saves to the cloud, and nothing :/

I guess the Super (ugly) Slim it is :(

Probably just going to Kijiji this thing for parts.

Someone posted something very interesting on ifixit:

The RSX Chip is based on G70 Chip in turn based on the NV47[6] (GeForce 7800 GTX) but with only 8 ROPs activated[7] and 128 Bit memory interface. This serie serie of gpu had issues with the substrate, which caused solder balls to break from it. This is the reason of the YLOD. Nvidia produced bad chips in the G70, G79, G80, G86, G84 GPU Series. Just to recall the bad Geforce 8600gt-m in the 2007-2008 Macbook pro's story.

And I can attest to that because my 7900GT, 7950GT and 8800GT all died within a year(thank god for eVGA's lifetime warranty), whereas my 9800GT is still going strong.

Every time this thread gets bumped, even my own heart sinks.

My PS3 phat (20GB model) had a random shut down 9 months ago complete with the red blinking light while playing Uncharted 3. It hasn't happened since, which I am grateful for. I even played through GTAV twice, which apparently has killed some PS3s? I'm a bit surprised about that since while playing GTAV, I have noticed that the console is pretty quiet. I guess that game obviously uses up a lot of resources.

I do want to play TLoU, though. I am real scared that it would be the last game I ever play on the PS3.

Here's my dumb story.

After my first 40 gig PS3 died (YLOD), I got a broken 80 gig PS3 for $10 at a small game store. It had a couple stickers on it saying "bad power supply" and "ylod". I swapped out the harddrive and blu ray drive, and it worked great for a couple years! I guess they fixed the YLOD and power supply, but didn't realize the harddrive was causing the problem. (it also had a bad bluray drive) Recently, it stopped reading discs again, so I got a $20 laser on ebay and it works!

Then last month, it stopped recognizing that an ethernet cable was plugged in, and it would not find wifi access points at all. A couple days later, it got the YLOD. I sent it off to Sony for $140, and got it back. It works, but after a little while, the internet died on it again. I know it's not my internet because my roommate's PS3 works fine with our internet.

I called Sony up and they said they'd repair it again for free since it's under their 3 month limited warranty. I hope they repair it better this time rather than replace it. I refuse to let this PS3 die! It has gone through 2 YLOD, 2 bad BluRay lasers, 1 bad power supply, and 1 bad harddrive. But now it's up to Sony to decide if it's worth repairing, or just retire it and give me a different 80 gig refurb.

mishakoz

RIP my Launch 60gb PS3, gone but not forgotten.

Im calling up sony to see what can be done, hoping to send it in to be repaired, dont really care what it costs, that backward compatibility is worth it to me. plus, you know... im not willing to let go.

if not, what are the odds I can get a slim and not a super slim?

MMaRsu

Banned
Guys I reflowed my ps3 and put new thermal paste on it and it works again!!!! The only thing wrong is that the wifi and lan do not work. Could I have broken that? How can I fix it? Some help would be really appreciated.

DonMigs85

Guys I reflowed my ps3 and put new thermal paste on it and it works again!!!! The only thing wrong is that the wifi and lan do not work. Could I have broken that? How can I fix it? Some help would be really appreciated.

Maybe some tiny cables were left disconnected or broken?
Also don't expect the reflow to last more than a few months

Mine is doing that beeping on startup then shutting down thing. I guess it's YLOD or whatever. Tried swapping out cables etc but no luck.

Meh.

EdLin

Neo Member
Here's where my landlord's assistant took his PS3 to get repaired. I hear it's a good shop if you're in the New York City area, I'm not a customer, thank G-d, but I hear they work wonders. If anyone has actual experience with them, good or bad, speak up. I do have a used "60GB" launch PS3, so I always worry that it could end up needing fixing.

Gametech CTS

3251 Francis Lewis Blvd, Flushing, NY 11358
(718) 445-8324

(BTW, the landlord's assistant is a spitting image of Junpei from Persona 3, complete with baseball cap, but I don't think he'd appreciate me posting his photo here. :)

DonMigs85

Mine is doing that beeping on startup then shutting down thing. I guess it's YLOD or whatever. Tried swapping out cables etc but no luck.

Meh.

Sometimes if you keep trying to turn it on like 20 times or so it eventually stays on. It's like it has to warm up or something (I'm guessing the solder balls expand with heat and make contact again).

RPS37

I need advice if anyone can help.
I'm pretty certain the HDMI port on my fat 80gb is broken.
It keeps losing signal every few minutes. I've tried different cables and it still doesn't work.
If I send it in to Sony, how much will it cost?
Will I be able to re-download my PSN games to the refurb console?
How do I make sure my save files will be backed up to the cloud?
And lastly, should I format my hard drive before I send it in?

I need advice if anyone can help.
I'm pretty certain the HDMI port on my fat 80gb is broken.
It keeps losing signal every few minutes. I've tried different cables and it still doesn't work.
If I send it in to Sony, how much will it cost?
Will I be able to re-download my PSN games to the refurb console?
How do I make sure my save files will be backed up to the cloud?
And lastly, should I format my hard drive before I send it in?

Test it with scart cables first then you know for sure if its the HDMI port thats defective.

Akauser

Banned
Ive had issues with the PS3 my room collects a lot of dust. I've had it for 4 years now and just recently it has started to become really loud with the fan working overtime and system telling me during gameplay that its hot and needs to be turned off. Didn't wanna pay for repairs too much money so I opened it myself. Suprisingly easy as theres only 4 removeable parts which can be interchanged for working ones simply plug and play (wifi chip, blu ray drive and power supply). All these parts are on top too so its a matter of only 7 screws away. The ammount of dust inside the machine was sickening the poor PS3. Gave it a good clean applied some thermal paste on the chips and its like a new machine. Recommended to anyone who thinks the PS3 is gonna die. Prevention is better than letting it die.

Top Bottom