• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

So I'm thinking about just selling my dead PS3 on Craigslist or something (obviously advertising that it's dead) for half the cost of a Slim, but I have a question.

Some people can bring the PS3 back to life by taking apart the console and working with the "guts" - if I sold my PS3 to someone who used this method to fix it, would everything remain intact? Would the hard drive be formatted or would that person have full access to my games/movies/pictures?

entremet

TheMissingLink said:
So I'm thinking about just selling my dead PS3 on Craigslist or something (obviously advertising that it's dead) for half the cost of a Slim, but I have a question.

Some people can bring the PS3 back to life by taking apart the console and working with the "guts" - if I sold my PS3 to someone who used this method to fix it, would everything remain intact? Would the hard drive be formatted or would that person have full access to my games/movies/pictures?
If someone is able to fix it they can have access to your stuff. You can change your PSN details and remove your credit card. They'll have access to anything saved on HD, given that is functional as well.

I would think that you would have trouble selling the PS3 at that price, since if the buyer's decides to send the unit to Sony, the cost would exactly the same as a new PS3 altogether. Unless you have a fully BC model, which may command a premium. Do you have a 20/60 gig model with full backward compatibility?

Yep, 60gb model with fully compatible PS2 functionality, which is why I think it may garner that kind of price.

I dig the fact that the Playstation.com website allows you to wipe the billing information from your account.

Unfortunately, I've got a really cute picture of my girlfriend that she may not appreciate someone else seeing if they bring it back to life intact...

Also, my Demon's Souls disk is stuck in there. I've tried pummeling the eject button the moment the PS3 comes alive with no luck.

TheMissingLink said:
Yep, 60gb model with fully compatible PS2 functionality, which is why I think it may garner that kind of price.

I dig the fact that the Playstation.com website allows you to wipe the billing information from your account.

Unfortunately, I've got a really cute picture of my girlfriend that she may not appreciate someone else seeing if they bring it back to life intact...

Also, my Demon's Souls disk is stuck in there. I've tried pummeling the eject button the moment the PS3 comes alive with no luck.
If you're so worried, why don't you just remove the HDD and replace it with a different one? Laptop drives aren't that expensive. Alternatively, you could take it out, plug it into another PC, wipe it from there and you're good to go.

entremet

TheMissingLink said:

You'll need to get it out manually.

J2d

Is there any danger in breaking apart the system once unplugged? I have no experience in such things and don't wanna get electrocuted.

TheMissingLink said:
And miss my save games and the videos I put on it DEARLY.

See my post further above, in my case I was able to fix the YLOD (temporarily) with a hair blower w/o opening the console at all.
Not recommended to use instead of the actual reflow-repair but it's basically like the towel trick on the 360 and it's even more important on PS3 to get it running at least once more to backup your newest savegames, PSN-sharing accounts deactivation etc.

Just tried the Hair-dryer trick on my launch 60gb SolidusDave, blowing in each slot for 10mins then letting it cool.
Just switched it on and it powered up, quickly connected the HDMI and ethernet, turned the tv on and there it was, sat at the xmb trying to sign in.
Then 3 beeps and off.

It stayed on for maybe 10 seconds.

Might try the hair-dryer for longer or at a hotter temp and see what happens.

BlindMonkey said:
Might try the hair-dryer for longer or at a hotter temp and see what happens.

but keep it reasonable :lol (I used the maximum setting but I don't have any numbers of the actual temperature/power)

and yeah, I don't think this method is suitable for everyone as the ylod seems to be quite divers (and you don't have a fix values like with a heatgun). It's more of a quick&dirty trick, I guess. If it doesn't work you may try the proper reflow fix next instead of keep trying with the hair blower.

J2d said:
Is there any danger in breaking apart the system once unplugged? I have no experience in such things and don't wanna get electrocuted.
The only danger is in charged capacitors etc. If the PS3 goes through its usual shutdown sequence, it should be OK. Just make sure everything is well grounded though.

Anyway, an update on my triple. Last night after much hassle (damned soldered fuses...) I replaced the fuse in the power supply, put it back together, reconnected it to the rest of the unit and put the lid back on it, plugged it in, flipped the on/off switch at the back and...

*pop*

The replacement fuse blew. Oh well, at least I know that the problem isn't in the fuse, but without an oscilloscope or similar or access to a well-equipped lab, I won't know if the problem is really the power supply. I'm going to have to call up console repair places now and work out my options.

This sucks :(

ouchx100

My friend had his ps3 YLOD a few months ago and just last weekend got around to using a heat gun on it to repair it. It works now except that it keeps hanging up on system update. He is updating it through a flash drive because he couldn't get it too connect to the internet. Anyone else had this problem? Its a 60 gig from around launch. He would like to save his data but more importantly he has a bunch of our accounts on it that we need to deactivate.

So my friend's launch 20 just died on him.

When he boots up, he gets a green light for an instant, followed by yellow for maybe half a second, then three beeps followed by steady red pulses. The fan seems to start up but peters out after a second or so. Nothing on screen.

Is this a pretty standard case of "you're totally screwed, yellow light = death"? Or might there be some alternative? Thank you!!

ouchx100

That's pretty much the yellow light of death. If you read a few pages back in this thread you can get just about all the answers to what to do to send it to sony and how to fix it yourself.

Man, I've had quite an adventure with Sony for the past MONTH!!!! Here is my Sony repair experience..

On 9/28 I request service for my PS3, Sony received the system on 10/1, then on 10/2 they ship me out a replacement PS3. (Note this is a 60gb PS3). I finally received the unit from UPS on 10/7.

10/7 I set up my PS3, re downloading the information from my backup HDD to the new PS3 (same 160gb HDD, w/ a differenct refurbished system). So I finish the set up and play some farcry 2.. no problems. I go out of town on 10/8 and I return home on 10/12. PS3 has been untouched, unplayed since I left. I got to play some more farcry 2, and now I'm getting the YLOD error on a system that has been refurbished (allegedly) and provided to me. Now I didn't mention that upon receiving [.. which looked like it was brand new, as there were no scratches on the system, nothing...unit looked very nice] the serial number was slight peeled off. I figure that they replaced the serial number and didn't afix to the system properly.. no an issue for me.

So now.. on 10/12 I call Sony and let them know of the error that I had w/ the system, and I'm sure to let them know that the serial number came slightly peeled off, and that I DID NOT TAMPER WITH IT... worker puts that into his notes. No problem he assures me. So I send the system off [after receiving the box from Sony] on 10/19, dropped it off to Office Dept (For UPS). Now on 10/26, after they received my newly refurbished YLOD edition PS3 on 10/23; I'm calling to to follow up with the status of my repair. I spoke with Jonathan, who ended up filling me in that they were looking at the system and were considering not servicing the unit due to the serial number being "Tampered" with... So I explain to him the situation and advised him to look at the notes from when I first requested service. He reviewed everything and got in contact with the Sony Technican and discussed the situation with them. By the end of the conversation they did agree that they would service my unit (and by Service they mean that they are going to send me another refurbished unit; 60gb unit was confirmed) and I'm currently waiting for the unitl on Thursday.

I did have an interesting conversation with Jonathan, who I asked, "what if" the service technician choosed not to service my unit, what were my options, could I appeal the decision, speak with a supervisor, get my money back... etc. It was indicated to me that I wouldn't be able to argue the issue and that I could not get my money back, nor could I get the original unitl that I sent in issued back to me. I told him that it was ironic that the unit that I sent in for "service" was working better than the refurbished unit that I received in return.

Sony... God love em'

anyway, if you ever see a problem with your serial number when exchanging systems with Sony... don't even mess with it, if the serial number is peeling off, or not afixed properly.

consoul

About three years ago I camped out overnight on the streets of Shibuya to get my Japanese 60Gb launch unit. It went YLOD last night. Unfortunately I'm not in Japan anymore, so an out-of-warranty Sony repair is not an option.

I'm going to have to crack it open myself, get the Uncharted 2 disc out and try to reflow it. The process in the gilksy guide looks pretty straightforward. Presuming this works, I don't expect it will be too long before it happens again, so I'll backup whatever I can to transfer to a new Slim.

How does backing up and restoring to a new system work out? Is there much content locked to the original hardware? Would switching regions be an issue (I'm thinking of buying a local (PAL) Slim)?

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The only danger is in charged capacitors etc. If the PS3 goes through its usual shutdown sequence, it should be OK. Just make sure everything is well grounded though.

Anyway, an update on my triple. Last night after much hassle (damned soldered fuses...) I replaced the fuse in the power supply, put it back together, reconnected it to the rest of the unit and put the lid back on it, plugged it in, flipped the on/off switch at the back and...

*pop*

The replacement fuse blew. Oh well, at least I know that the problem isn't in the fuse, but without an oscilloscope or similar or access to a well-equipped lab, I won't know if the problem is really the power supply. I'm going to have to call up console repair places now and work out my options.

This sucks :(

When i first bought my broken PS3 off ebay, just going by the description, i thought it was a power supply issue, so i bought one of those too... after getting delivery and finding the thing worked fine.. I had a whole power supply, which i quickly sold to someone else on ebay, who later told me i fixed his PS3 with a thousand thank yous.

from past experience, you could fix your triple for 50 bucks... If i still had it, i'd sell it to you... why not try it... power supplies are pretty plug and play, and can be had pretty cheap..

I'm just going to put this out there... I am SO GLAD i had a third party repair done. I couldn't stand the thought of SORNY sending me a refurb PS3 that some kid used to kick around in the room of his dad's trailer type thing. I knew my baby, and i wanted her back...

Dirk Shmiggler said:
When i first bought my broken PS3 off ebay, just going by the description, i thought it was a power supply issue, so i bought one of those too... after getting delivery and finding the thing worked fine.. I had a whole power supply, which i quickly sold to someone else on ebay, who later told me i fixed his PS3 with a thousand thank yous.

from past experience, you could fix your triple for 50 bucks... If i still had it, i'd sell it to you... why not try it... power supplies are pretty plug and play, and can be had pretty cheap..
My main issue is not knowing if the problem is actually in the power supply itself or if it's some other component shorting and drawing a crapload of current - thus busting the fuse.

I suppose I could buy one and see how I go. It'd save me a bit of money on postage etc.

SolidusDave said:
See my post further above, in my case I was able to fix the YLOD (temporarily) with a hair blower w/o opening the console at all.
Not recommended to use instead of the actual reflow-repair but it's basically like the towel trick on the 360 and it's even more important on PS3 to get it running at least once more to backup your newest savegames, PSN-sharing accounts deactivation etc.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
I hear you, you're almost to the point i was. should i keep buying parts trying to fix it?, only to rack up a bill (larger than a full repair) if it doesn't?? I keep my limit at one DIY bill, if that don't cut it, it's out of my hands....

Many dead triples (which have popped, i did a lot of researching back in the day), have been resurrected w/ a new PSU though... It was one of the most common problems early on, before YLOD or dead lasers came to light... If it were me, i'd be going that route b/c if it works, the benefit is hard to beat...

good luck... I know the pain of a dead triple...

I do want to add that PSR did a REALLY, REALLY good job with mine... I didn't quite have the funds for the fix, but, i'm glad i did... Not one hiccup or stutter so far,, i've been able to finish two games straight through with no issues...

Just wanna ask a quick question about overheating. My PS3 is a launch Japanese 60gig so it's close to 3 years old. I've never had it overheat on me, nor have I had any flashing red lights etc. It's just that the fans seem to kick into high speed after 10-20 minutes of playing a game.

During the day, I play with a window open so my room is quite cold and there is a decent amount of space behind and to the side of the console.

It's probably just me being paranoid really but just want to know if the fans kicking up to high speed after a relatively short amount of time is normal?

Speevy

Banned
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Just wanna ask a quick question about overheating. My PS3 is a launch Japanese 60gig so it's close to 3 years old. I've never had it overheat on me, nor have I had any flashing red lights etc. It's just that the fans seem to kick into high speed after 10-20 minutes of playing a game.

During the day, I play with a window open so my room is quite cold and there is a decent amount of space behind and to the side of the console.

It's probably just me being paranoid really but just want to know if the fans kicking up to high speed after a relatively short amount of time is normal?

Yes, it's normal.

The bad news is that your PS3 could still die.

Fugu

I suppose my experience with my PS3 can only be described as a series of bad decisions.

Around August of this year, my 80GB non-BC PS3 began to yellow light periodically (if I tried turning it on enough times it would eventually turn on). Eventually, it did not turn on at all. So, seeing as my PS3 was purchased less than a year ago (as a gift, mind you -- this is key), I figured it was still under warranty, called Sony up, and asked them how much it would cost to fix my PS3, serial number in hand. When asked if I had proof of purchase, I then asked the people who bought it for me if they had a receipt (it was a collaborative purchase across a few people) -- of course, no one could provide. So, Sony tells me it'd be $150 for the fix. Figuring I could buy a new one for not much more than that, I opted to attempt to fix it myself considering I'd had some experience in the area.

So a buddy of mine and myself open it up and perform the usual -- re-apply thermal paste and reflow the motherboard (we would have loved to clean out the dust, but there was none). Still no go. So I decide to take it to a shop that claims to fix ylod PS3's for $85 (Global GSM in Scarborough. Avoid them like the plague, if only because they were extremely slow and did not price as advertised). So I do. He calls me up the next day and tells me my motherboard is fried and that it'll now be $160 to pick up my PS3; after I tell him that I'm not going to pay that much, he says he'd already performed the motherboard swap and given me a new serial number, and that it was too late. At this point I was too frustrated (or potentially eager) to say no, so I ended up paying the $160. Based entirely on my history with my PS3 to that point, I asked him what warranty accompanied this repair: He told me that I was covered for 30 days. Fine. I didn't expect to use the warranty, but I kept the receipt anyway.
I also asked him what was wrong with my PS3 to cause it to ylod in the first place; he tells me that the motherboard was fried because we tried to fix it. I told him this couldn't have been the original cause considering I only opened up my PS3 in the first place to fix it, and I wouldn't have had reason to fix it if there weren't a problem to begin with. This argument goes nowhere and I never find out exactly what caused my PS3 to ylod in the first place.

So, lo and behold, not ten days later, my PS3 is now turning itself off, with the light going out after varying periods of gameplay (In fact, I can see the console losing power even if it's not in use -- the red light indicating that the console is powered has come and gone three times over the course of my typing this). I call him up, receipt in hand: He tells me that the warranty did not recover the repair but the motherboard itself and that it would be $85 to replace the PSU. So here I am stuck with a PS3 that will play games for a little while and then turn itself off shortly thereafter, very adamant not to pay this man another cent.

Erebus

Fugu said:
I suppose my experience with my PS3 can only be described as a series of bad decisions.

Around August of this year, my 80GB non-BC PS3 began to yellow light periodically (if I tried turning it on enough times it would eventually turn on). Eventually, it did not turn on at all. So, seeing as my PS3 was purchased less than a year ago (as a gift, mind you -- this is key), I figured it was still under warranty, called Sony up, and asked them how much it would cost to fix my PS3, serial number in hand. When asked if I had proof of purchase, I then asked the people who bought it for me if they had a receipt (it was a collaborative purchase across a few people) -- of course, no one could provide. So, Sony tells me it'd be $150 for the fix. Figuring I could buy a new one for not much more than that, I opted to attempt to fix it myself considering I'd had some experience in the area.

So a buddy of mine and myself open it up and perform the usual -- re-apply thermal paste and reflow the motherboard (we would have loved to clean out the dust, but there was none). Still no go. So I decide to take it to a shop that claims to fix ylod PS3's for $85 (Global GSM in Scarborough. Avoid them like the plague, if only because they were extremely slow and did not price as advertised). So I do. He calls me up the next day and tells me my motherboard is fried and that it'll now be $160 to pick up my PS3; after I tell him that I'm not going to pay that much, he says he'd already performed the motherboard swap and given me a new serial number, and that it was too late. At this point I was too frustrated (or potentially eager) to say no, so I ended up paying the $160. Based entirely on my history with my PS3 to that point, I asked him what warranty accompanied this repair: He told me that I was covered for 30 days. Fine. I didn't expect to use the warranty, but I kept the receipt anyway.
I also asked him what was wrong with my PS3 to cause it to ylod in the first place; he tells me that the motherboard was fried because we tried to fix it. I told him this couldn't have been the original cause considering I only opened up my PS3 in the first place to fix it, and I wouldn't have had reason to fix it if there weren't a problem to begin with. This argument goes nowhere and I never find out exactly what caused my PS3 to ylod in the first place.

So, lo and behold, not ten days later, my PS3 is now turning itself off, with the light going out after varying periods of gameplay (In fact, I can see the console losing power even if it's not in use -- the red light indicating that the console is powered has come and gone three times over the course of my typing this). I call him up, receipt in hand: He tells me that the warranty did not recover the repair but the motherboard itself and that it would be $85 to replace the PSU. So here I am stuck with a PS3 that will play games for a little while and then turn itself off shortly thereafter, very adamant not to pay this man another cent.
I'd buy a new one (preferably a slim) if I were you, just to be on the safe side of things.

With your luck even after your replace the PSU, your BD-drive might start to act up next.:lol

KanZolo

Bought a 60 gb in Feb 2007. It YL'd in January 2009.

Sent it in and got it back in July.

Turned it on today, after 5 mins my refurbished unit YL'd . Called Sony and they said I was a month out of warranty. The woman I spoke with had to been working there a week because she was stumbling over her words, sounded nervous, and you could tell she was reading everything she was saying.

I was patient and told her I refused to pay $150 and I understood she couldn't do anything else for me but I would like to talk to someone who could. I explained how my ps3 is in a well ventilated area, dusted frequently and very well taken care for.

She put me on hold, talked to someone and got permission to fix it for free.

Update on my story, finally got my PS3 back in, I've been testing out the system to make sure everything works... so far its working well, I still have lots of other things to check out, but the blu ray portion is working well. I swear this "replacement" system is like fricking band new. If the unit holds out, it'll be well worth the 149.

SpecX

I think my launch 60 gig is mad at me and is about to die. So, problem started last year when the background started showing some weird white specs. I ignored them thinking it was nothing, and then some games started freezing when I would go to launch them. I did the database rebuild and the system would work for awhile after that. Then one day a few months later the problem started again. I was then having the system freeze at the XMB and everything would become pixelated. I replaced the harddrive for a 320 and then the system went back to normal. Now I haven't been home for a week, and finally got home this weekend. I went to turn the system on to attempt getting my Platinum trophy for Uncharted 2 and when I went to turn the system on, it gave off a big shock which stung my finger. The system powered up fine and I figured, it was just a static discharge. Then yesterday I was going to pop in Ghostbusters and when I went to eject the disc, the system gave off the same shock. After this one, the XMB freezes and when I go to the PlayStation Store, it freezes as well. Is the system mad I left for so long, or is it about to die on me?

craker

My 60g PS3 just died today. Called Sony and they were not helpful at all. I bought mine in Canada, and now live in Japan so I'm completely screwed. I would have to mail it to Canada to mail it to Sony. Then mail it back to Japan after it's fixed. All that would cost more than a slim. I don't have any saves backed up, and a disk is stuck inside. Why does this generation of systems suck for reliability. Hell I still have a Colecovision, and an Atari 2600 that work perfectly!

Angst

My PS3 died last week. :( No blinking lights, but it won't read discs at all anymore, so I suppose the drive/laser is busted.

Sent it to Sony (Nordisk Film) on monday. Hopefully I'll get a new PS3 tomorrow. Suckiest thing of all is that I've been sick with the flu since friday and aren't allowed back to work until monday next week. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Benedict

Angst said:
My PS3 died last week. :( No blinking lights, but it won't read discs at all anymore, so I suppose the drive/laser is busted.

Sent it to Sony (Nordisk Film) on monday. Hopefully I'll get a new PS3 tomorrow. Suckiest thing of all is that I've been sick with the flu since friday and aren't allowed back to work until monday next week. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Same thing happened to me while playing Demon Souls today...
Got an error 80010514.
I've tried with several games and get the same result.

My console is 2 years and 5 days old, luckily I bought an extended 3-year warranty for my 40Gb PS3.

Now I wonder what I need to do before returning it to the shop (Expert Stormarknad).

Should I put in my original 40gb HDD and take out my 250gb HDD?

If I get a new system will it be only to put in my 250gb HDD in that or will it not work and get formatted?

What saves, data-files and games are hardware-locked to the system?
Can I use old saves on a new machine?

Do I need to erase all my accounts before sending the unit in, so I won't lose any of the five accounts you are allowed per user?

Angst

Benedict said:
Same thing happened to me while playing Demon Souls today...
Got an error 80010514.
I've tried with several games and get the same result.

My console is 2 years and 5 days old, luckily I bought an extended 3-year warranty for my 40Gb PS3.

Now I wonder what I need to do before returning it to the shop (Expert Stormarknad).

Should I put in my original 40gb HDD and take out my 250gb HDD?

If I get a new system will it be only to put in my 250gb HDD in that or will it not work and get formatted?

What saves, data-files and games are hardware-locked to the system?
Can I use old saves on a new machine?

Do I need to erase all my accounts before sending the unit in, so I won't lose any of the five accounts you are allowed per user?
I was also playing DS when it died. Weird...

1. Delete all crap from your drive - music, videos and game data (not game saves)
2. Backup PS3 to an external USB drive or memory stick
3. Swap the 250 Gb drive for the 40 Gb.
4. Deactivate your system (it's under account management)
5. Give it to the bastards at "Expert" (I hate Expert... :lol )

Some game saves are locked to the system and will be forever gone. Demon's Souls is gone I'm sorry to say :( Most will work though

Benedict

Yes... damn those save locks.

Found a list of games in a thread at Eurogamer that is supposedly locked:
Edit: found an updated list on PS3blog.net

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bomberman Ultra
Brain Challenge
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Crash Commando
Dark Mist
Demons Souls
Devil May Cry 4
Dragonball Z Burst Limit
The Eye Of Judgment
Fat Princess
Fight Night Round 4
Godfather 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
High Velocity Bowling
Killzone 2
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Mega Man 9
Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
Mortal Kombat 2
Namco Museum Essentials
NCAA Football 10
Need For Speed: Carbon
Need For Speed: Pro Street
Need For Speed: Shift
Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Singstar
Skate 2
Soul Calibur IV
Street Fighter IV
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online (Your online stats won’t transfer)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2
UFC: Undisputed
Wolfenstein

Games saves patched to remove copy protection:

MotorStorm: Pacfic Rift
Resident Evil 5

I think also that Everybody's Golf is save-locked as well.

That, Rock Band 1 & 2 and Demons Souls is the thing that is most irritating.

Benedict

Angst said:
I was also playing DS when it died. Weird...

It happened for me at Stonefang Tunnel, level 2-1 when pulling the level that gives access to the Armor Spider Boss (according to the game guide).

Angst

Benedict said:
It happened for me at Stonefang Tunnel, level 2-1 when pulling the level that gives access to the Armor Spider Boss (according to the game guide).
For me it happened at the beginning of 2-2. But I had played that level before and beat it, I was just returning for the Crystal Lizards' nest to upgrade my bow.

I don't think it has to do with DS though, just a coincidence.

Edit: My PS3 was a 40 GB, bought June 2008.

Erebus

I'm curious what's the percentage of dead 60GB PS3 units on GAF? Maybe we should make a poll sometime.

Every time I read this thread, I'm getting worried about my launch 60GB PS3 dying. :(
I must admit that the thought of selling it before it craps out on me has crossed my mind multiple times.

Benedict

OK...
have almost removed everything from the HDD now and decided to try some more games.

For some reason the system seems to be functioning fine now, although I haven't tried the Demon's Souls disc yet.
No problems at all reading my game discs.

I wonder if there was some problem with an installed game/program that caused the error...
Home has not worked ever since I last upgraded the firmware. Might be that.

Now I don't know what to do. Keep it and continue playing or return it.

I would love to continue with Demon's Soul but since the save won't work on another machine I don't want to risk wasting time.

EDIT: Spoke to soon, Uncharted failed to load after the main menu.
Guess I have no choice than to return it.

DarkUSS said:
I'm curious what's the percentage of dead 60GB PS3 units on GAF? Maybe we should make a poll sometime.

Every time I read this thread, I'm getting worried about my launch 60GB PS3 dying. :(
I must admit that the thought of selling it before it craps out on me has crossed my mind multiple times.

Your PS3 is destined to f' up with some type of issue. Be prepared.

Benedict

kikonawa said:
could be your harddrive acting up...

No, don't think so.
When I put in a disc in the system, it doesn't show up on the XMB and the drive makes a silent repeating noice as if it's trying to read the disc.

Angst

Benedict said:
No, don't think so.
When I put in a disc in the system, it doesn't show up on the XMB and the drive makes a silent repeating noice as if it's trying to read the disc.
This is exactly how my PS3 sounded. I tried fixing the file system and tried installing the original HD. My old PS2 made the same sounds when it stopped reading DVDs. I could also start some games and play for a short while and then it stopped reading the disc.

Of course the PS2 was out of warranty so I opened it and re-calibrated it myself, but I didn't want to try that with the PS3...

Top Bottom