• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 is noisy, yours?

Amandeep

Was curious so I just downloaded a decibel measuring application and tried it out.
I placed my ipad on top of my ps4 with the mic facing the back end and started up Tlou (disc version) at 60 fps.
Near the beginning it averaged low to mid 40s but after a while it picked up to high 40s/ low 50s.
From where I sit (not too far away) I got around 30/35 decibels.
This is how loud it usually is but it does pick up sometimes, though I don't have too much of an issue with it really. Certainly louder than my ps3 slim that's for sure.

BuBBeR

Banned
Was curious so I just downloaded a decibel measuring application and tried it out.
I placed my ipad on top of my ps4 with the mic facing the back end and started up Tlou (disc version) at 60 fps.
Near the beginning it averaged low to mid 40s but after a while it picked up to high 40s/ low 50s.
From where I sit (not too far away) I got around 30/35 decibels.
This is how loud it usually is but it does pick up sometimes, though I don't have too much of an issue with it really. Certainly louder than my ps3 slim that's for sure.

I got the same measures. 48db with the phone on top of it, and around 35db siting around 1,5 meters away from it. I must be very noise sensive because i think it's very loud...

Don't know what to do really... The guy from the store will eventually tell me to F**k off

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So definitely not "whisper quiet" then.
decibelthermometer-horizontal.jpg
50-something is when you put your ear right next to it, 30-35 is when sit a few feet away from it, like people normally do.

goonergaz

What I'd like is a definitive answer as to what is considered 'normal'...and TBH Sony should be able to answer with a simple test...they could provide a demo which you run whilst using an iPhone app placed on top of the PS4 to measure the noise.

I just want to know if my PS4 is normal, I don't mind the noise (would have preferred PS3 levels) but if it's normal then that's fine, but I wouldn't want to have to mess around swapping it out if there's no benefit.

Mogwai

What I'd like is a definitive answer as to what is considered 'normal'...and TBH Sony should be able to answer with a simple test...they could provide a demo which you run whilst using an iPhone app placed on top of the PS4 to measure the noise.

I just want to know if my PS4 is normal, I don't mind the noise (would have preferred PS3 levels) but if it's normal then that's fine, but I wouldn't want to have to mess around swapping it out if there's no benefit.
The problem is that people don't 'test' their PS4 under the same conditions (e.g. the same games).

Everytime somebody claims that their PS4 is silent I rarely see what games they played to draw the conclusion. And as long as it's not demanding games like Killzone, Infamous or certain parts of TLoU:R, the console won't be making much noise.

goonergaz

The problem is that people don't 'test' their PS4 under the same conditions (e.g. the same games).

Everytime somebody claims that their PS4 is silent I rarely see what games they played to draw the conclusion. And as long as it's not demanding games like Killzone, Infamous or certain parts of TLoU:R, the console won't be making much noise.

Hence I'd like Sony to provide a test demo to be used with an agreed app.

What about the power of NeoGAF? Could 'we' get together and start an 'official' noise test thread, it seems most have TLoU and can d/l a db measuring app? Alternatively is there's a free demo on the store that's proven to be noisy then maybe we can agree to use that?

What do others think? I'd be nise to nail this down before the the initial PS4s are 1 year old.

Got my PS4 a few weeks ago and I'm still shocked how noisy it is. It sounds like a jet engine compared to the Xbone.

It also gets really hot compared to the Microsoft console.

Games I've played include TLoU, Second Son, Resogun, Ground Zeroes and Diablo 3. The only real exception is Diablo 3.

Mogwai

Hence I'd like Sony to provide a test demo to be used with an agreed app.

What about the power of NeoGAF? Could 'we' get together and start an 'official' noise test thread, it seems most have TLoU and can d/l a db measuring app? Alternatively is there's a free demo on the store that's proven to be noisy then maybe we can agree to use that?

What do others think? I'd be nise to nail this down before the the initial PS4s are 1 year old.
Honestly, I don't think Sony will ever care to provide such data for the PS4. There will be variations in production, and some fan units will be louder than others.

But I have yet to see any legit claims of people having a whisper quiet PS4 during games like TLoU:R, Killzone SF and Infamous SS. Of course, if people run the games with the 30fps lock, the console will be much more quiet.

hesido

I'm not sure how phone applications can measure decibels. They'd have to be calibrated? Maybe for iPhones, where performance characteristics may be clearly set for different versions, this may work better, but there is plethora of different phones with different characteristics.

I open my PS4 clean and replace a good amount of thermal paste and no more high temperature.

ps4.png

You opened your PS4 and applied thermal paste, and now it's quieter?

big_z

I open my PS4 clean and replace a good amount of thermal paste and no more high temperature.

ps4.png

dude thats a ton of thermal paste. its meant to be used in small amounts to fill the tiny spaces between heat sink and cpu. don't spread it on thick like peanut butter on bread.

my guess is that some ps4s have problems due to poor contact from its heat sink design. usually heat sinks are designed to put a good amount of pressure on the cpu which the ps4 lacks. its likely that simply tightening the two screws holding the heat sink in place might help lower the temps.

goonergaz

It's certainly something I will be looking into once the warranty is up. I suppose at least the fans are keeping it as cool as possible in the mean-time.

Wil348

Mine is only noisy the first time I start up a game disc, though this is understandable as it has to read and install the disc's data. Other than that, it's pretty quiet.

It's a bit noisier when playing TLoU, though this seems to be common with everyone when it comes to Sony's first party games.

Mogwai

Literally silent? I still have an exceptionally hard time believing this whenever someone claims it.

I agree. Rarely those people with "I got a silent PS4" tell of what games they tested, for how long and whether they are running on 30 or 60 fps.

knerl

Which title you play should not matter. According to Sony PS4 is supposed to be quieter than a PS3 Slim and thus it should be really quiet at all times. I talked to their support and got it confirmed that if it's loud after only ~20 mins or a couple of hours even there's definitely something wrong with it. "After 5-6 hours it might make a noise." A faint one that is.

Just got myself a PS4. Replaced it twice already because of a really annoying and rather loud whining fan noise after 15-20 min of gameplay while playing Killzone and The Last of Us. To me that is not acceptable seeing as how the three PS3 Slims that I've owned were all really quiet even after hours of demanding titles (GTAV & The Last of Us). Can't help but to feel like a fool when they claim PS4 is quieter. My third PS4 ( and the other two) are certainly not even close to being quieter than a PS3 Slim. Which they say it should be even while playing games. False advertising much?

Have a hard time believing it when my third PS4 has the same issue as the other two (even if it's slightly better in that regard). The first one was a separate console without any bundled game. The other were from the Destiny-bundle. Going to talk to Sony and see if they will take it back and replace it or repair it this time. Got it replaced at the retailer before.

Top Bottom